Texas PT Schools Application 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you that have gotten accepted into UTMB and are not going please let them know soon! I just got an email saying I'm on the alternate list and they didn't specify what number I am...lame... And they are my number one school! Soo if you for sure not going let them know soon! It'll suck if I find out 3 weeks before school starts and not have an apartment or anything! Thanks!!! And for the rest of ya'll may the odds be ever in your favor!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! I'm so glad someone started this thread. I have applied to a couple of schools in Texas. I have not heard anything from UNT and that worries me. I have been offered an interview at UTEP. Does anyone know anything about the interview process at UTEP? I'm very excited and nervous. :nailbiting:

Hey BaylorForever, I am a current student at UTEP.

When I interviewed last year, UTEP held two sessions one in the morning and one in the afternoon. You will come into the building and meet the upper class and faculty. Then a brief introduction powerpoint will be presented. There was a group of 50 at my interview, after the powerpoint we were broken into 3 groups: one going to do essays, the other getting a tour guide, and the last getting interviews. each group gets about 25 minutes then they rotate until everyone has completed all 3 processes.

During the interview, you will interview with two faculty professors and one PT. You will sit with a interviewer for exactly 8 minutes and they will spill out predetermined questions from a sheet of paper and then rotate to the next interviewer. The essay portion last 25 minutes also and you are given two topics to pick from. Although the interview was really structured, they did a good job of keeping the environment relaxing and stress free.

Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)

When I interviewed last year, UTEP held two sessions one in the morning and one in the afternoon. You will come into the building and meet the upper class and faculty. Then a brief introduction powerpoint will be presented. There was a group of 50 at my interview, after the powerpoint we were broken into 3 groups: one going to do essays, the other getting a tour guide, and the last getting interviews. each group gets about 25 minutes then they rotate until everyone has completed all 3 processes.

During the interview, you will interview with two faculty professors and one PT. You will sit with a interviewer for exactly 8 minutes and they will spill out predetermined questions from a sheet of paper and then rotate to the next interviewer. The essay portion last 25 minutes also and you are given two topics to pick from. Although the interview was really structured, they did a good job of keeping the environment relaxing and stress free.

Good luck to you!

I feel that ttuhsc has the most laid back interview process. and i mean that in the best possible way. just a group power point, tour of the school, and a one on one interview. no essay. Seems schools all across the country have pretty intense interview processes.

Off subject
After seeing tuition and fees for many schools across the country I am so thankful to be going to school in Texas with such an affordable tuition. Especially if you are financing school on your own like I am.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone else had problems with UNT not receiving LOR's? One of my poor references has already had to submit his twice and it is still showing up as missing :(

Has anyone else had problems with UNT not receiving LOR's? One of my poor references has already had to submit his twice and it is still showing up as missing :(
No, not any problems with LORs but I did have problems with my transcripts. And although my file says complete on the website, because I haven't heard anything, it makes me worried...

I still havnt heard from UNT either! I heard that last year if you are not picked for an interview they still don't send out rejection letters.
No, not any problems with LORs but I did have problems with my transcripts. And although my file says complete on the website, because I haven't heard anything, it makes me worried...

That's probably a good reason to call and ask about. And while on the phone you might as well ask if they know when the interview invitations are going out lol (last I heard sometime this month) ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I still havnt heard from UNT either! I heard that last year if you are not picked for an interview they still don't send out rejection letters.

Here's what I was told today:

Interview is set for March 7th. Invitations to interview have NOT started going on, but should start within a few weeks.

Here's what I was told today:

Interview is set for March 7th. Invitations to interview have NOT started going on, but should start within a few weeks.

Thanks Nihsnek! Man I was told it was going to be Feb. But I guess there was a change in plans. That's also another reason alternative lists won't move until then, which is what I was told. But invitations soon! :)

Here's the email I just received from UNT...

"Your application is complete. Completed applications are currently being reviewed and will stay under review until all interview spots have been filled. Our final interview is scheduled for March 7th. If you are chosen for an interview, you will hear something from us between now and the end of February via e-mail."

Here's the email I just received from UNT...

"Your application is complete. Completed applications are currently being reviewed and will stay under review until all interview spots have been filled. Our final interview is scheduled for March 7th. If you are chosen for an interview, you will hear something from us between now and the end of February via e-mail."
Question was this just sent to you today just because or did you have some previous contact with the office that warranted this response?
Thx

I emailed the admissions office this morning to confirm my application being complete, and that was the response I received.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank goodness I've been dying to hear back!

yes, I have been waiting to hear from UNT also! They are my first choice. It would have been nice to get an email like that explaining the time frame. So basically another 4 weeks of waiting!

yes, I have been waiting to hear from UNT also! They are my first choice. It would have been nice to get an email like that explaining the time frame. So basically another 4 weeks of waiting!

Yeah they only reason I got that email was because I had asked for them to check and make sure I wasn't missing any documents. I guess he suspected my next question was going to be about timeframes and such so he went ahead and added that second part in there...

Found these stats on NPTE pass rates for Texas Schools for those of you trying to decide which program to attend. First year pass rates are not given because there are many factors that contribute to scores, so there is no data for UNT or TWU Dallas since they are new programs. It says to contact the school for that info. They only give a 3 year rate for overall performance. It is scheduled to update Feb 2014.
https://www.fsbpt.org/FreeResources/NPTEPassRateReports/NPTEThreeYearUltimatePassRatesbySchool.aspx
https://www.fsbpt.org/FreeResources/NPTEPassRateReports/NPTEThreeYearUltimatePassRatesbySchool.aspx

Physical Therapist
Texas (TX)
SchoolCodeGraduatesAverage
Angelo State University
Results From 2009, 2010443036100.00%
Hardin-Simmons University
Results From 2009, 2010, 2011442276 98.68%
Texas State University - San Marcos
Results From 2009, 2010, 2011440183100.00%
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
Results From 2009, 2010, 20114402181 98.90%
Texas Woman`s University
Results From 2010, 20114403182100.00%
Texas Woman`s University - EXPANSION PROGRAM at Dallas
No Results44330 .%
University of North Texas Health Science Center
No Results44360 .%
University of Texas at El Paso
Results From 2009, 2010, 2011442356 96.43%
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
Results From 2009, 2010, 20114405117 97.44%
University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
Results From 2009, 2010, 20114406102 99.02%
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
Results From 2009, 2010, 20114421105100.00%
US Army - Baylor University
Results From 2009, 2010, 2011440768100.00%

Good luck to you!

RTRDPT,

Thank you so much for your response! That helps tremendously! My interview is not until Feb. 28th so I am trying to prepare as much as possible; waiting is so nerve wracking. UTEP is my first choice so I am hoping everything goes well. I really love everything about the program. Have you enjoyed your time there so far?

Has anyone heard anything from UNT yet?

I have not heard anything. Just called, Sean told me they have already sent a few invitations to interview and will continue to do so throughout February (remember..interview is set for March 7th). Let the waiting game continue...

RTRDPT,

Thank you so much for your response! That helps tremendously! My interview is not until Feb. 28th so I am trying to prepare as much as possible; waiting is so nerve wracking. UTEP is my first choice so I am hoping everything goes well. I really love everything about the program. Have you enjoyed your time there so far?

Don't sweat it, the interview is quite painless. I will be at the interview helping out and all the upper class are pretty excited for incoming class. I thought I'd hate El Paso because its far out in the middle of no where, but I ended up liking it here and the PT program. I hope you will too.

Does anyone know which Texas schools are still having interviews? I think tech and San Antonio are done. Unsure about Galveston or southwestern. I think UNT, El Paso, and USA are this month or next.

Does anyone know which Texas schools are still having interviews? I think tech and San Antonio are done. Unsure about Galveston or southwestern. I think UNT, El Paso, and USA are this month or next.

USA's interview is in March

UNT's is March 7th

Don't sweat it, the interview is quite painless. I will be at the interview helping out and all the upper class are pretty excited for incoming class. I thought I'd hate El Paso because its far out in the middle of no where, but I ended up liking it here and the PT program. I hope you will too.

That is great to hear! I have a lot of family in El Paso, so having a support system during PT school would help tremendously. I am sure I will love it!

Hey guys! Has anyone heard from Mary Beth about the ranking of the alternate list for TWU Houston? I've been emailing her a lot lately, so I thought I'd ask here first….

Hey guys! Has anyone heard from Mary Beth about the ranking of the alternate list for TWU Houston? I've been emailing her a lot lately, so I thought I'd ask here first….

hey yogasbliss,
I emailed Mary Beth yesterday about the alternate list for Houston and she told me "I'm sorry but it's not ranked yet. We are still overbooked."

hey yogasbliss,
I emailed Mary Beth yesterday about the alternate list for Houston and she told me "I'm sorry but it's not ranked yet. We are still overbooked."
Thanks, lp9! I appreciate the update =)

Is it often that people who get accepted at 2+ schools tell all their schools that they accept but don't decline until the school sends out confirmation letters as they get closer to the deadline. Texas schools in particular because I'm applying here and am on an alternate list.

Has anyone heard ANYTHING from UNT? Interview is set for March 7th..that's two weeks away come this Friday.

I broke down and sent an email to UNT asking if all of the interview spots had been filled yet. I couldn't take the waiting! I will post the response as soon as I get it.

Reactions: 3 users
This is the response I got from Sean at unt when i asked if all the interview spots have been filled...."They have not. We are still in the process of sending out invitations. We will send out notifications to all applicants on their status by the end of the month."

I was invited to the UNTHSC interview on the 7th today. Pretty excited and nervous. I hope those of you who are wanting to get in hear from them soon!

I was invited to the UNTHSC interview on the 7th today. Pretty excited and nervous. I hope those of you who are wanting to get in hear from them soon!
congrats! what stats did you apply with? If you don't mind sharing. I hope I hear from them soon.

Last edited:
That's awesome!
How did they contact you?

congrats! what stats did you apply with? If you don't mind sharing. I hope I hear from them soon.
I have a Marketing degree and graduated with a 3.3. I had no sciences so I took all my pre reqs at a community college and got all As except Bs in the Chem 1&2 lectures (As in the labs) so that helped. 180 observation hours from 3 places and IMO a good statement. I'm also a personal trainer which might help. Everyone has their strengths in one way or another.

That's awesome!
How did they contact you?
Thank you. They sent me an Email and told me to call them regarding my application. So keep a look out on your inbox. Watch those filters.

I have a Marketing degree and graduated with a 3.3. I had no sciences so I took all my pre reqs at a community college and got all As except Bs in the Chem 1&2 lectures (As in the labs) so that helped. 180 observation hours from 3 places and IMO a good statement. I'm also a personal trainer which might help. Everyone has their strengths in one way or another.

Yeah I'm pretty similar. i was a business major and had a 3.3 overall as well and did fairly well on my pre-reqs. Are you a texas resident? I'm next door in Louisiana so that may have pushed be to the back of the line.

Yeah I'm pretty similar. i was a business major and had a 3.3 overall as well and did fairly well on my pre-reqs. Are you a texas resident? I'm next door in Louisiana so that may have pushed be to the back of the line.
I was a history major w/ 3.6 overall and took some courses at community college and some at a 4yr. 70 documented observation hrs but I am a teacher and worked with/observed the work of the PTs and OTs daily, so I didn't want to include that but I did explain that in my essay (I hope fairly well).

Cwill I have a good feeling you will be getting an email next week. I'm sure they're still going down the list. I'm in San Antonio, TX but I highly doubt your residency will matter.

I was a history major w/ 3.6 overall and took some courses at community college and some at a 4yr. 70 documented observation hrs but I am a teacher and worked with/observed the work of the PTs and OTs daily, so I didn't want to include that but I did explain that in my essay (I hope fairly well).

Sounds like you're a strong applicant! How many different settings do you have and do they include inpatient and outpatient?

Sounds like you're a strong applicant! How many different settings do you have and do they include inpatient and outpatient?
I did 40 with an outpatient clinic and 30 in a hospital. Which that hospital was the hardest to get in because they do not allow any form of shadowing in the hospitals unless it school sponsored. Right now i'm working in MO until the end of the school year and then I will come join my family in Dallas.

Cwill I have a good feeling you will be getting an email next week. I'm sure they're still going down the list. I'm in San Antonio, TX but I highly doubt your residency will matter.

Thanks, I hope so too! A couple of guys from my alma mater here in shreveport are currently in the DPT program there right now. I've been accepted at USA down in austin for the summer but it would be phenomenal if UNT would give me a look.

Last edited:
Ya'll have some good stats. I'm in a similar situation..Finance/Eco degree with great cumulative GPA but was missing 3 pre-requisites at time of application (Physics 1/2 and Chem 2). I'm praying we all get an interview!