This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ultimattack2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I fortunately prematched at four texas schools:
  • UTSW
  • UTMB
  • McGovern
  • UTSA (only recently prematched on dec 31st)
I am trying to accurately gauge how much I want to go to each of the schools but it is hard to do because apparently most don't release financial aid information/ scholarships until after match day. Why do I see many threads of people receiving this information before match day? Am I missing something?

I don't know where to go and I only have like 10 days.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I fortunately prematched at four texas schools:
  • UTSW
  • UTMB
  • McGovern
  • UTSA (only recently prematched on dec 31st)
I am trying to accurately gauge how much I want to go to each of the schools but it is hard to do because apparently most don't release financial aid information/ scholarships until after match day. Why do I see many threads of people receiving this information before match day? Am I missing something?

I don't know where to go and I only have like 10 days.
Unfortunately, most don't give out financial aid info before Match Day.
Fortunately, all 4 schools are in the same ballpark for tuition.
Have you filled out the FAFSA so the school will have that to look at?

This one should be easy. Match UTSW first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, most don't give out financial aid info before Match Day.
Fortunately, all 4 schools are in the same ballpark for tuition.
Have you filled out the FAFSA so the school will have that to look at?

I have filled out FAFSA, UTSW gave me fin aid information but I believe any potential scholarships come out after match day. Every other school release finaid and scholarships after match day apparently.

I have filled out FAFSA, UTSW gave me fin aid information but I believe any potential scholarships come out after match day. Every other school release finaid and scholarships after match day apparently.

Perhaps go back and peruse old threads for each of those to schools to get a sense of the financial aid/scholarship offers made in prior years? I know it's not ideal since you never know what your personal offer will be, but it's a start. Surely financial aid and scholarship money are not the only factors in your decision, and like Wysdoc said, all four school have very similar tuition rates. I'm sure you could also find information on the scholarships available at each school either via their website or contacting them. Again, not ideal since it's no guarantee...

Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps go back and peruse old threads for each of those to schools to get a sense of the financial aid/scholarship offers made in prior years? I know it's not ideal since you never know what your personal offer will be, but it's a start. Surely financial aid and scholarship money are not the only factors in your decision, and like Wysdoc said, all four school have very similar tuition rates. I'm sure you could also find information on the scholarships available at each school either via their website or contacting them. Again, not ideal since it's no guarantee...

Yea, I will do that. Thanks. The only thing that irks me is that I will miss out on any potential scholarship or opportunity. I know that the chances of getting a scholarship are pretty low but I'm not going to lie- it would impact my decision greatly.

Yea, I will do that. Thanks. The only thing that irks me is that I will miss out on any potential scholarship or opportunity. I know that the chances of getting a scholarship are pretty low but I'm not going to lie- it would impact my decision greatly.

Well then start with 2016-2017 UTSW. From what I recall, they were the most generous with scholarships last year. Personally, I agree with Trollest...this should be a no-brainer if there are no major reasons not to go to any of the aforementioned schools.

This might be slightly off-topic, but as I am from Houston, is it still a no-brainer to go to UTSW? Is it really that much better for me to go to that school?

Not to derail your thread, but do you mind noting your stats? I’m a Texas resident and will be applying this upcoming cycle so I’m trying to gauge my chances. Thanks in advance and congratulations on the multiple acceptances!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not to derail your thread, but do you mind noting your stats? I’m a Texas resident and will be applying this upcoming cycle so I’m trying to gauge my chances. Thanks in advance and congratulations on the multiple acceptances!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'll tell you in PM

This might be slightly off-topic, but as I am from Houston, is it still a no-brainer to go to UTSW? Is it really that much better for me to go to that school?

If your top priority is scholarship money over all else, then based off what I've read on these forums, yes (take with a grain of salt). If you are interested in attending the public medical school generally recognized as best in Texas, thereby having the best opportunities for residency matching, then yes. If you hated your interview experience at UTSW, then no. There is way more to this decision than financial aid/scholarships, and I think you know that based on your question about Houston. Sounds like you have some soul-searching to do. Plot your pros and cons, think about what you envision for your future, and which school you could readily see yourself at for the next 4 years (or more if you match residency there). The money is unlikely to be significantly different at any one of state medical schools, regardless of scholarship offerings, and it sounds like you won't know until post-match either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If your top priority is scholarship money over all else, then based off what I've read on these forums, yes (take with a grain of salt). If you are interested in attending the public medical school generally recognized as best in Texas, thereby having the best opportunities for residency matching, then yes. If you hated your interview experience at UTSW, then no. There is way more to this decision than financial aid/scholarships, and I think you know that based on your question about Houston. Sounds like you have some soul-searching to do. Plot your pros and cons, think about what you envision for your future, and which school you could readily see yourself at for the next 4 years (or more if you match residency there). The money is unlikely to be significantly different at any one of state medical schools, regardless of scholarship offerings, and it sounds like you won't know until post-match either way.

Actually, UNT and LSM have the best matches in Texas.

Also, I don't know too much about financial aid, but if they haven't given you a scholarship by now, it is unlikely. Loans are available in all schools.

UTSW is probably the most prestigious of the schools on your list, though that’s just one factor that should go into that decision.

Maybe things have changed since I applied, but I definitely got scholarship offers prior to match day - in fact I got a couple along with my acceptance decisions. I don’t know if that’s still the case or not, but I would be a bit surprised if they didn’t give out any scholarships until match day as that would somewhat defeat the use of scholarships as a recruitment tool since you’ve already committed to an institution by that point.

UTSW is probably the most prestigious of the schools on your list, though that’s just one factor that should go into that decision.

Maybe things have changed since I applied, but I definitely got scholarship offers prior to match day - in fact I got a couple along with my acceptance decisions. I don’t know if that’s still the case or not, but I would be a bit surprised if they didn’t give out any scholarships until match day as that would somewhat defeat the use of scholarships as a recruitment tool since you’ve already committed to an institution by that point.

Literally called all the schools and they said that the scholarships are given after in like March.

Well, I guess that settles in then and I wonder what the point of this thread was.

I just wanted to see if anyone knows if there is like some special differentiation between recruitment scholarships or like any contrary evidence, I'm not fully convinced. I also need help like trying to predict the fin aid from each school.

Total cost of attendance before scholarships is not different enough between the schools that it should impact your decision. Unless, of course...

...you live in one of the other cities. In which case, it then makes sense to examine if that really will be a good thing. The place where you currently live -- Is it free? (ex. parents) Or not free? If it's not free, it's not really different than paying rent elsewhere. Is your current residence conducive to being a medical student? You say you live in Houston. That's a BIG city (geographically). Do you live with your parents in Katy or Sugar Land where you're looking at a 45-60 minute commute? (NOT good) Or in West U. where it's 15 minutes at rush hour? Would living with your current housemates be a good thing? (Free home-cooked meals ready when you are?) Or a not-so-good thing? (Family obligations, noise, guilt trips and conflict that would interfere with your studies.) So consider it from all angles rather than chalking it up automatically to the plus column.

Well then start with 2016-2017 UTSW. From what I recall, they were the most generous with scholarships last year. Personally, I agree with Trollest...this should be a no-brainer if there are no major reasons not to go to any of the aforementioned schools.

A pretty valid observation. Did you LIKE any of the schools significantly more than the others? If not, UTSW is the highest-ranked of the four by a pretty wide margin, and when it comes to your residency options, that will help open up doors. However, if you didn't like UTSW as well as some of the others and don't think you will perform well there, that residency-placement advantage is pretty-much neutralized. Do consider though what type of career you want to have. Are you the kind of person who is likely to prefer the more competitive, higher-paying specialties if you can get into them? Or genuinely NOT motivated by prestige and would sincerely be happy with 'lower status' specialties? If you're certain you're the latter type, ignore the ranking difference.

You don't have any way of knowing what your financial aid package (if any) will be, and even trying to guess will be a wasted effort. If UTSW is rumored to be more generous, that's about as good a recommendation as you're likely to get. But with NO certainty, that shouldn't be a major consideration. And frankly, with the maximum potential difference between a 'full-tuition' and 'no-help-at-all' scenario being under $20K per year, it's just not worth worrying about. Other factors (above) are worth more than $20K/year.

Actually, UNT and LSM have the best matches in Texas.

UNT (the DO school) and LSM (Do you mean San Antonio?) ? UTSA did have a very strong match list in 2017, and I expect UNT's match would be among the very strongest for DO's, but to claim that they are better overall than UTSW is probably inaccurate.

Bottom line -- If you have a fairly strong preference, honor it. If not, UTSW is your best bet.

Reactions: 2 users
Total cost of attendance before scholarships is not different enough between the schools that it should impact your decision. Unless, of course...

...you live in one of the other cities. In which case, it then makes sense to examine if that really will be a good thing. The place where you currently live -- Is it free? (ex. parents) Or not free? If it's not free, it's not really different than paying rent elsewhere. Is your current residence conducive to being a medical student? You say you live in Houston. That's a BIG city (geographically). Do you live with your parents in Katy or Sugar Land where you're looking at a 45-60 minute commute? (NOT good) Or in West U. where it's 15 minutes at rush hour? Would living with your current housemates be a good thing? (Free home-cooked meals ready when you are?) Or a not-so-good thing? (Family obligations, noise, guilt trips and conflict that would interfere with your studies.) So consider it from all angles rather than chalking it up automatically to the plus column.

A pretty valid observation. Did you LIKE any of the schools significantly more than the others? If not, UTSW is the highest-ranked of the four by a pretty wide margin, and when it comes to your residency options, that will help open up doors. However, if you didn't like UTSW as well as some of the others and don't think you will perform well there, that residency-placement advantage is pretty-much neutralized. Do consider though what type of career you want to have. Are you the kind of person who is likely to prefer the more competitive, higher-paying specialties if you can get into them? Or genuinely NOT motivated by prestige and would sincerely be happy with 'lower status' specialties? If you're certain you're the latter type, ignore the ranking difference.

You don't have any way of knowing what your financial aid package (if any) will be, and even trying to guess will be a wasted effort. If UTSW is rumored to be more generous, that's about as good a recommendation as you're likely to get. But with NO certainty, that shouldn't be a major consideration. And frankly, with the maximum potential difference between a 'full-tuition' and 'no-help-at-all' scenario being under $20K per year, it's just not worth worrying about. Other factors (above) are worth more than $20K/year.

UNT (the DO school) and LSM (Do you mean San Antonio?) ? UTSA did have a very strong match list in 2017, and I expect UNT's match would be among the very strongest for DO's, but to claim that they are better overall than UTSW is probably inaccurate.

Bottom line -- If you have a fairly strong preference, honor it. If not, UTSW is your best bet.

Thank you for that written out response, I really appreciate it.

Literally called all the schools and they said that the scholarships are given after in like March.
Spme people in the UTSW thread have already gotten financial aid if I am recalling correctly. Also, I emailed the other day to try to leverage for one, but they said I had not been selected for a scholarship.

UTSW is better for research, yes. Better academics? Highly debatable. Better atmosphere for studying? Definitely not. Better match? No. Also it's not UTSA; common mistake from people who have no knowledge about the school. I was like you before. Thought UTSW and Baylor were the way to go, but definitely not anymore. If all you care about is rankings go to UTSW. If you care about a better overall school otherwise. Consider the other schools. I would actually pick Mcgovern over UTSW for research because of the medical center, and you can do research at Baylor right across the street. Also, you probably have a higher chance to get financial aid at McGovern or LSM

Spme people in the UTSW thread have already gotten financial aid if I am recalling correctly. Also, I emailed the other day to try to leverage for one, but they said I had not been selected for a scholarship.

RIP me