Texas Tech c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpiderPony

Reaction score
Decided to start a thread for TTU SVM. Who else has applied, and what have y’all heard?

I know they’re taking 60 students, with up to 10% (so six) from New Mexico. Their website says after a minimum 2.9 overall and science gpa cutoff, grades will not be considered. So I’m really curious what everyone thinks about how they’ll make admissions decisions!

A&M has over 900 applicants, really wondering how many applied to tech as well and how much their acceptances will overlap

Members don't see this ad.

I applied! But, I haven't heard much about Tech in general besides reading the information on their website. Did they say when they will be sending out interview invites?

I applied. Also completed their secondary application that they send out after receiving the initial if you meet the minimum requirements. They require three more essays, a short answer question, the Casper test and a $75 dollar fee for the secondary application. But have not heard anything else. I think my Casper results will be transmitted this week. So hopefully hear something soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied. Also completed their secondary application that they send out after receiving the initial if you meet the minimum requirements. They require three more essays, a short answer question, the Casper test and a $75 dollar fee for the secondary application. But have not heard anything else. I think my Casper results will be transmitted this week. So hopefully hear something soon.

what Casper date did you take?

I applied! But, I haven't heard much about Tech in general besides reading the information on their website. Did they say when they will be sending out interview invites?
I haven’t heard anything yet. As of the other day they don’t even have a phone set up yet. Had an issue with my secondary and went through just about Tech’s entire automated phone system trying to get an answer ASAP. Pretty good email turnaround time though

Reactions: 1 user
I applied, completed the secondary and the CASPer. From what I believe I remember when they had their very large zoom meeting for prospective students to introduce the school, we should hear about interviews in mid to late December.

What did y’all think about the Casper test? I felt like my thoughts were super rushed but I guess that’s the point..lol

What did y’all think about the Casper test? I felt like my thoughts were super rushed but I guess that’s the point..lol
I think I either did eh/okay on it, haha. It sucks that we can't see our scores

I did not enjoy it. Like it wasn’t difficult, but I constantly felt like I hadn’t typed enough to accurately express myself.

Yes I agree. I’m not sure how to feel about it either . Everything happened so fast. Do we know if Tech is going in person interviews?

Yes I agree. I’m not sure how to feel about it either . Everything happened so fast. Do we know if Tech is going in person interviews?
I really don’t know, esp with A&M cancelling them altogether this week. But then imo they wouldn’t have much to glean a multidimensional picture of applicants from with without interviews, GRE, or GPA. I really really hope they don’t just use Casper. Maybe since they’re Texas residents only and a handful of NM the logistics will be feasible enough? TAMU has enough out of state and international applicants that may have factored into their decision

I’m wondering what the average large animal/equine/livestock background of applicants will look like. Seems like they’re looking for very specific types to fill their class, probably the same niche A&M wants for their VERO seats

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya I’m surprised the tamu interviews are completely cancelled..that 25% of the application. I’m just hoping Texas Tech doesn’t do the same . Like you said only having Casper with no GRE and only looking at “minimum“ gpa at Tech is not a lot to go on for a vet school application. The TMDSAS application has a lot of info on it though so I guess that’s a plus.

Does anyone know when we should hear something back from Tech? I'm wondering if they'll wait until apps officially close on the 21st to start sending anything out.

Does anyone know when we should hear something back from Tech? I'm wondering if they'll wait until apps officially close on the 21st to start sending anything out.
8BC8181E-059B-4118-8943-65526BE9D92A.png

I saw this today when I was looking!

Reactions: 1 users
I assume they're processing applications as they go? Two weeks after the 21st runs into the time frame they set for interview invites. Interesting that this may also be after A&M has notified applicants. I'm guessing their applicant pool is largely the same? I don't think I know of anyone who has applied to one and not the other

I'm guessing their applicant pool is largely the same? I don't think I know of anyone who has applied to one and not the other
Not sure. Honestly I think that the applicant pool might be smaller for Tech since it is so new. I have a coworker that wasn't interested in Tech's large animal focus and only applied to A&M. She was also very hesitant to apply because it was so new and didn't want to live in Amarillo.

I hope to god the applicant pool is ALOT smaller bc they are only accepting 60 students...with a maximum of 10% from NM. A&M has around 400 IS applicants - those odds are not very good.

I hope to god the applicant pool is ALOT smaller bc they are only accepting 60 students...with a maximum of 10% from NM. A&M has around 400 IS applicants - those odds are not very good.
Where did you hear 400 IS? I heard a 4-500 number for tech yesterday, for what thats worth

Texas A&M for sure had more than 400 IS applicants this year as they had around 900 applicants total, with probably only about 100 of that being OOS. I would think though that the pool will be smaller for tech, because of the worries that come with applying to a new program. I for one only applied to A&M and not tech for those reasons.

Texas A&M for sure had more than 400 IS applicants this year as they had around 900 applicants total, with probably only about 100 of that being OOS. I would think though that the pool will be smaller for tech, because of the worries that come with applying to a new program. I for one only applied to A&M and not tech for those reasons.
Looking at old stats (I have better things to do, but not better things that I want to do) between 10 and 15% are unqualified applicants, so if that trend holds true they’ll toss ~100. About the same number have been out of state, making up around 16% of the class. However, probably because TMDSAS is an unnecessary headache, their OOS acceptance rate is historically pretty high. So i guess I wouldn’t be surprised if their OOS number went up, at least proportionately.

Agreed. If I hadn't gotten into A&M this past year, I would have re-applied to A&M but I would have not applied to Tech.

I think A&M has way more than 400 IS apps this year. :thinking: According to this pdf I found on the TMDSAS website, there were 676 applications for the c/o 2023. ~79% were IS and ~21% were OOS. If those numbers hold true for this application cycle, then there are ~730 IS apps. Subtracting the ~100 unqualified apps leaves us with 630 IS apps for 180 spots.

Looking at old stats (I have better things to do, but not better things that I want to do) ...

Ngl, I did this A LOT when I was applying :whistle:

"According to Loneragan, Tech has had nearly 700 prospective students begin an application with almost 500 completing it. 'The vast majority of these applicants are qualified and Texas residents,' he said. 'We have a fantastic pool to interview and then offer positions – but we only have 60 positions in our first year.'"

I'm about ready to find a big cardboard box and see if I can figure out how to photosynthesize. Better odds, lower cost of living

• Wow
Just wondering what anyone else's thoughts are on this-- I, last minute, decided to apply to Tech (IS). Just got an email yesterday that I was invited to complete the secondary app and to take CASPer, for which the deadline was December 10. How would the casper deadline be BEFORE the application deadline? That makes no sense, they should've made the application deadline earlier with casper after or something like that. Pretty sure I'm screwed now because I never took it.

Just wondering what anyone else's thoughts are on this-- I, last minute, decided to apply to Tech (IS). Just got an email yesterday that I was invited to complete the secondary app and to take CASPer, for which the deadline was December 10. How would the casper deadline be BEFORE the application deadline? That makes no sense, they should've made the application deadline earlier with casper after or something like that. Pretty sure I'm screwed now because I never took it.
I’d email Sarah Innis and ask her, she’s been super helpful with my questions. My guess is that that’s the cutoff set for every vet school? I had three schools require it within the same timeframe. Could also contact Casper about options to take it so that you can approach admissions with possible solutions when you ask for accommodation.

Their December deadline is a one time thing because of the accreditation process, so unlikely to happen again. But if you think about it, the GRE is something you typically have to plan for and take in advance and this isn’t too different. Hopefully you didn’t have to pay TMDSAS for Tech by itself?

I’d email Sarah Innis and ask her, she’s been super helpful with my questions. My guess is that that’s the cutoff set for every vet school? I had three schools require it within the same timeframe. Could also contact Casper about options to take it so that you can approach admissions with possible solutions when you ask for accommodation.

Their December deadline is a one time thing because of the accreditation process, so unlikely to happen again. But if you think about it, the GRE is something you typically have to plan for and take in advance and this isn’t too different. Hopefully you didn’t have to pay TMDSAS for Tech by itself?
Good suggestions, thank you. I didn't have any other schools that required it (or at least didn't get invited to take it) so I figured I was home free and didn't need to worry about it. Of course I would've taken it had I known tech required it. I did apply to A&M too so the fee wasn't for nothing.

So I came across an interview with the dean (it’s on Spotify, should come up if you just search his name) where he says their eventual plan is to take 100 students per class with incremental increases year to year. Fun fact for the day.

According to that earlier post about interviews being end of Jan/early Feb, that means we should be hearing soon!

I was looking over the ross thread & saw you were accepted there...congrats! do you have any idea if you would choose ross or tech?
Thanks!
I've also been accepted to Midwestern! Between Midwestern and Ross, I'd definitely choose Midwestern (cheaper tuition, cheaper cost of living, loved the family-like feel at interviews, easier for my husband to commute to as a Pilot). If I were to get into Tech too, that will make my decision a little more difficult. Although Tech would be instate, and therefore cheaper than Midwestern, I'd definitely have to do some serious thinking and praying about it before making a final decision.

Thanks!
I've also been accepted to Midwestern! Between Midwestern and Ross, I'd definitely choose Midwestern (cheaper tuition, cheaper cost of living, loved the family-like feel at interviews, easier for my husband to commute to as a Pilot). If I were to get into Tech too, that will make my decision a little more difficult. Although Tech would be instate, and therefore cheaper than Midwestern, I'd definitely have to do some serious thinking and praying about it before making a final decision.
Wow! congratulations!! 2 acceptances is amazing! What is deterring you from Tech? I know a lot of people have reservations towards it and I've wondered why. Just because it's new? Super curious to hear your thoughts!

We should be hearing this week 🤞🏼

I believe they’re sending out interview invites right now! Good luck everyone! :)

Source: friend who got an invite

I wonder if they’re sending them all out at once or if they will be sending rejections as well ? I haven’t received any communication yet 🤯

Reactions: 2 users
I got an interview invite this morning!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an interview invite at 12:50! Im not sure how many invites they are sending out but it seems like they are staggering out the emails.

I received an invite around 9:30am!

Check your junk mail! I marked the sender as important, but my invite was still sent to spam. I think it's the word "congratulations". I didn't know I had mine until hours later!

I have just spoken to the admissions committee at Tech. If you did not receive an email yesterday then you were not invited to interview.

"According to Loneragan, Tech has had nearly 700 prospective students begin an application with almost 500 completing it. 'The vast majority of these applicants are qualified and Texas residents,' he said. 'We have a fantastic pool to interview and then offer positions – but we only have 60 positions in our first year.'"

I'm about ready to find a big cardboard box and see if I can figure out how to photosynthesize. Better odds, lower cost of living

I have just spoken to the admissions committee at Tech. If you did not receive an email yesterday then you were not invited to interview.

Do we have any idea how many interviews went out total? With around 500 applicants, cut down to X number of interview invites, I'm curious to know what our odds are now for those of us who did get interviews.

I'm not positive, but a source said 280 interviews went out

• Wow
Do we have any idea how many interviews went out total? With around 500 applicants, cut down to X number of interview invites, I'm curious to know what our odds are now for those of us who did get interviews.

Do we know how many rounds of emails were sent out? There was one around 9 am, one after 12, and one early afternoon that I know of. The interviews will take 90 minutes each and per their schedule it looks like there are slots for four 90 minute intervals per day (two morning and two afternoon). Three stations per interval and four days means that each interviewer/interview team can see 48 total or 12 per day if my math is correct. So they'll need like 18 stations. Last year A&M did about 240 in 2.5 days with 12 per hour.

I'm not positive, but a source said 280 interviews went out

I'm not surprised. A&M is taking 180, so they'd have to do at least 240 on the off chance that both schools pick the same applicants (assuming A&M is actually admitting a class, they're a few weeks behind their own timeline). I'd be really curious to know what the overlap is

Do we know how many rounds of emails were sent out? There was one around 9 am, one after 12, and one early afternoon that I know of. The interviews will take 90 minutes each and per their schedule it looks like there are slots for four 90 minute intervals per day (two morning and two afternoon). Three stations per interval and four days means that each interviewer/interview team can see 48 total or 12 per day if my math is correct. So they'll need like 18 stations. Last year A&M did about 240 in 2.5 days with 12 per hour.

I'm not surprised. A&M is taking 180, so they'd have to do at least 240 on the off chance that both schools pick the same applicants (assuming A&M is actually admitting a class, they're a few weeks behind their own timeline). I'd be really curious to know what the overlap is
The email that they sent to us said "The interview structure will be a relaxed format of Multi Mini Interviews (MMI). Interview days will begin with a 45-minute orientation and faculty introductions at 8 AM CST. Applicants then will be assigned to a series of three consecutive 20-minute stations during the interview day with 10-minute breaks between sessions. You will be notified when your 20-minute stations start via email."

Yea I would be curious to know overlap too. But there were far more students that applied to A&M than Tech.