This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bah_Gawd_BME

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional applicant, and have been working as an engineer in Ohio until I get my MCAT score up to make myself a competitive applicant. I wanted to ask if anybody on here has any experience with the Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service.

I have been looking to change jobs and possibly move states. If I do this, however, I don't want to lose the many Ohio medical schools I would be applying to as an in-state resident. I do know Ohio is a good state to be a resident of for the application process. Because of this "in-state advantage" I have currently living in Ohio, I've been selective with where I'd consider taking a job and moving.

From what I see on the MSAR (MCAT ranges and GPAs), there are enough schools on the TMDAS that applying through it as a Texas resident might serve me even better than my Ohio residency would on the AMCAS application. I'd be living and working in Texas for over a year in order to change my residency over.

Am I missing anything about the TMDAS? Is there a "catch" I'm not realizing? I'd appreciate any advice I could get.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a non-traditional applicant, and have been working as an engineer in Ohio until I get my MCAT score up to make myself a competitive applicant. I wanted to ask if anybody on here has any experience with the Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service.

I have been looking to change jobs and possibly move states. If I do this, however, I don't want to lose the many Ohio medical schools I would be applying to as an in-state resident. I do know Ohio is a good state to be a resident of for the application process. Because of this "in-state advantage" I have currently living in Ohio, I've been selective with where I'd consider taking a job and moving.

From what I see on the MSAR (MCAT ranges and GPAs), there are enough schools on the TMDAS that applying through it as a Texas resident might serve me even better than my Ohio residency would on the AMCAS application. I'd be living and working in Texas for over a year in order to change my residency over.

Am I missing anything about the TMDAS? Is there a "catch" I'm not realizing? I'd appreciate any advice I could get.
More detailed information about Texas residency determination for TMDSAS purposes: TMDSAS Medical: Residency Information

Just to add, Texas has very stringent residency requirements that are governed by statute. The schools are required to have at least 90% of students as Texas residents. Last I looked, the instate residents overall had a 37% matriculation rate

I see. I would only apply through the TMDAS should I move to Texas. I confirmed I would be meeting the domicile requirements listed on their site.

Wow! That 37% statistic seems pretty high! Can I ask where you found it/how I could find Ohio's to compare?

Thanks for the help!

I see. I would only apply through the TMDAS should I move to Texas. I confirmed I would be meeting the domicile requirements listed on their site.

Wow! That 37% statistic seems pretty high! Can I ask where you found it/how I could find Ohio's to compare?
Using Facts tables A-3 and A-4 from Applicants and Matriculants Data - FACTS: Applicants, Matriculants, Enrollment, Graduates, MD/PhD, and Residency Applicants Data - Data and Analysis - AAMC the most recent figures show that 38% of Texas applicants matriculate, but that 46% of Ohio applicants matriculate.