This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bah_Gawd_BME

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a non-traditional applicant, and have been working as an engineer in Ohio until I get my MCAT score up to make myself a competitive applicant. I wanted to ask if anybody on here has any experience with the Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service.

I have been looking to change jobs and possibly move states. If I do this, however, I don't want to lose the many Ohio medical schools I would be applying to as an in-state resident. I do know Ohio is a good state to be a resident of for the application process. Because of this "in-state advantage" I have currently living in Ohio, I've been selective with where I'd consider taking a job and moving.

From what I see on the MSAR (MCAT ranges and GPAs), there are enough schools on the TMDAS that applying through it as a Texas resident might serve me even better than my Ohio residency would on the AMCAS application. I'd be living and working in Texas for over a year in order to change my residency over.

Am I missing anything about the TMDAS? Is there a "catch" I'm not realizing? I'd appreciate any advice I could get.
 
I am a non-traditional applicant, and have been working as an engineer in Ohio until I get my MCAT score up to make myself a competitive applicant. I wanted to ask if anybody on here has any experience with the Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service.

I have been looking to change jobs and possibly move states. If I do this, however, I don't want to lose the many Ohio medical schools I would be applying to as an in-state resident. I do know Ohio is a good state to be a resident of for the application process. Because of this "in-state advantage" I have currently living in Ohio, I've been selective with where I'd consider taking a job and moving.

From what I see on the MSAR (MCAT ranges and GPAs), there are enough schools on the TMDAS that applying through it as a Texas resident might serve me even better than my Ohio residency would on the AMCAS application. I'd be living and working in Texas for over a year in order to change my residency over.

Am I missing anything about the TMDAS? Is there a "catch" I'm not realizing? I'd appreciate any advice I could get.
More detailed information about Texas residency determination for TMDSAS purposes: TMDSAS Medical: Residency Information
 
Just to add, Texas has very stringent residency requirements that are governed by statute. The schools are required to have at least 90% of students as Texas residents. Last I looked, the instate residents overall had a 37% matriculation rate

I see. I would only apply through the TMDAS should I move to Texas. I confirmed I would be meeting the domicile requirements listed on their site.

Wow! That 37% statistic seems pretty high! Can I ask where you found it/how I could find Ohio's to compare?

Thanks for the help!
 
I see. I would only apply through the TMDAS should I move to Texas. I confirmed I would be meeting the domicile requirements listed on their site.

Wow! That 37% statistic seems pretty high! Can I ask where you found it/how I could find Ohio's to compare?
Using Facts tables A-3 and A-4 from Applicants and Matriculants Data - FACTS: Applicants, Matriculants, Enrollment, Graduates, MD/PhD, and Residency Applicants Data - Data and Analysis - AAMC the most recent figures show that 38% of Texas applicants matriculate, but that 46% of Ohio applicants matriculate.