The 07/18/08 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supafield

Dream Big
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unless I'm inept at finding threads it looks like there is no threads for this date or most of the July ones...

So good luck to all of you writing, this is my second go of it... and I want to do really well.... and am happy to offer advice about the whole process from my first time around.... feel free to ask

take care

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC PRACTICE SCORES
PS: 10-13
VR: 7-13
BS: 10-13

ACTUAL MCAT SCORES

PS: 11
VR: 9
BS: 14
WS: S

34S

I don't know how to feel about this particularly because of the verbal score. I'm happy to have 30+, but being an international student, I feel like that VR is going to haunt me. I'll shut on the complaining though: 34S!

Avg AAMC scores:
V: 8
P: 11
B: 12
T: 31

Range: 26-35

Predicted:
No clue since no one had any idea how the curve was going to treat us.

Actual:
V: 10
P: 12
B: 14
T: 36R

Thanks to everyone on these MCAT forums for the help. This was my 3rd time taking so if anyone needs any tips, I'd be more than happy to help!

hi guys and girls,

first, congratulations to everyone!

second, though i haven't posted on this thread before, i've been reading since it's conception... and i want to thank you for keeping me sane. it made me feel a lot better to see that i wasn't the only one experiencing the ups and downs of all things MCAT (preparing/writing/waiting for scores/ugh)!

now, for the best part:

VR 11 PS 9 BS 12 --> 32 Q

!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
!!!
I can finally put this to rest!

P - 14
B - 13
V - 11
W- Q

Total: 38Q :hardy:

Better than I expected. No complaints. Very happy! :laugh:
Interestingly, my verbal and physical sciences scores are reversed from all my practice tests, which is weird. I have no idea how I got a 14 on PS when I never scored above an 11 on practice tests. Must have made a lot of lucky guesses. :luck:

Congrats to everybody here for making through the last month of waiting in one piece.

Practice Tests:
PS: 12-13
VR: 7-9
BS: 10-12

Actual:
PS: 11
VR: 9
BS: 12
WS: O

I'm so happy that my verbal score was a 9. I was so worried about the VR because I suck at it. I'm happy with a 32O as I'll probably be in a school next year, but I am a little disappointed that I got an 11 in PS because its my strong spot and I thought I got a 12 or 13. Guess it was test day jitters. Hope everyone did well, and good luck with the applications!

Congratz to all who slayed the beast.:thumbup: But I wish people with scores below 30 would post to give an accurate picture. Just my thought

avg AAMC
VR 10.5
P 10
B 10
W P

Predicted
VR 10
P 11
B 10
W ?

Actual
VR 8 ??
P 11
B 10
W Q

For a 29Q. I'm a little disappointed, my AMCAS tests were all 30-33
But as a non-trad with a lot of other things going for me, I'm going to go ahead and apply. If I don't get any interviews, I will retake in January and bring up that verbal.

Congratz to all who slayed the beast.:thumbup: But I wish people with scores below 30 would post to give an accurate picture. Just my thought

22Q for me.
Man! that's even below average for DO schools!
Congrats to all who aced this beast.
I'm off to mourning.

Members don't see this ad :)
The dreaded 26. Not extremely bad, but not quite good enough. Good thing I am rescheduled to take it again on Friday. I had a feeling b/c I ran out of time on Physical and Verbal. I guessed on basically the last passages of both sections. I think if I can get my timing a little better, I can bring it up to a 30 on Fri. Crossing my fingers! Good job everybody who did well! And to those of us who didn't do as well as liked... my dad just gave me a really long lecture on not giving up.. Keep going... you can do it!

Took the MCAT in April 2008. Got crushed {11 BS, 13 PS, 6 VR}. Lost a lot of hope but retook on July 18th. I started studying again after graduation in June. I didn't focus on the sciences at all since that wasn't the problem. Read a lot of passages. Main problem was reading speed.

Results day: I was checking all day today. I was nervous at work constantly refreshing the browser on my phone.

14 PS, 13 BS, 8 VR. Writing: O ...

**I only got a 13 once ... which was in April. And my first 14 ever. I guess good timing.

I am still ecstatic. The only thing is now we're a few months back in the application cycle. Anyone have any ideas on what schools to apply to? I think my 8 is still a problem so I should still be quite selective about my list of school huh?

Good luck to everyone with this app cycle. And if you're retaking ... make sure to stay positive. I know how you guys feel but stick with it. There's a light at the end of the tunnel! Take my word for it.

mikey014 [@] gmail.com

PS 12,
VR 9
BS 11
WS Q

probably a retake due to 9 in VR...Canadian applicant!

I'm just ignoring Ontario (I miss the WS cutoff anyways with my O for most of them) and hoping McGill/UBC/Manitoba/Alberta like my 34. Otherwise it's the states/Australia for me!

I am going to post this to give an accurate picture, but know that I AM SO DEPRESSED and embarrassed that once again, this test BEAT ME:(

I took the MCAT in April and got a 23N (6PS, 9VR, 8BS)

My top choice in MSU COM and since I have a pretty solid application otherwise, the director of admissions told me I'd be in good shape if I could raise the PS by at least 1 point.

so.....physics is IMPOSSIBLE for me and I studied a lot for it but neglected the rest, I spent a little time in biology just to refresh (but its my major so it must be the orgo that kills me there?? IDK)..I never studied for verbal before and on practice tests never scored less than a 10.

Here are the results of 7/18:
PS: 7 (the 1 point I needed)
BS: 8
VR: 6!!!!!!! WTF????
Writing: Q

so since MSU takes your highest score for each subset I now have a 24Q, but I CANNOT UDNERSTAND how this happened. I left the test thinking that verbal was my best section, thinking I scored at least 10.

Where do I go from here? Any advice? I applied to 7 D.O. schools, most with averages between 23-26, do you think I still have a shot? Should I retake in Jan? How terribly does the 3 point drop in verbal look?
My first reaction was to withdraw my application, but I ahve already completed ALL of my secondaries and I feel like it would be stupid to waste the $1000+ I've already spent!

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated....I'm at a loss right now

Hey Daven,

First of all, remember that this is JUST a test. It feels really awful right now, especially seeing everyone with the high scores. However, it does not mean you are not intelligent or have something wrong with you, it just means you had a minor flop. So hopefully after a short grieving period, you will feel better and realize that it is just a test.

Secondly, I do not know anything about D.O. schools so I can not answer your question on that. If I were in your situation, I would probably call every school you are applying to and check the cut off numbers. If in the end, you have to retake, look at the wonderful advantages that come with it: You get another year off, to have fun, to develop yourself more as a person, to make some money, to travel, etc.

Either way, this test does not define you and eventually you WILL become a doctor. Anything that is easy is really not worth it. Please stay strong and continue to follow your dreams. :)

hey Daven,

First Of All, Remember That This Is Just A Test. It Feels Really Awful Right Now, Especially Seeing Everyone With The High Scores. However, It Does Not Mean You Are Not Intelligent Or Have Something Wrong With You, It Just Means You Had A Minor Flop. So Hopefully After A Short Grieving Period, You Will Feel Better And Realize That It Is Just A Test.

Secondly, I Do Not Know Anything About D.o. Schools So I Can Not Answer Your Question On That. If I Were In Your Situation, I Would Probably Call Every School You Are Applying To And Check The Cut Off Numbers. If In The End, You Have To Retake, Look At The Wonderful Advantages That Come With It: You Get Another Year Off, To Have Fun, To Develop Yourself More As A Person, To Make Some Money, To Travel, Etc.

Either Way, This Test Does Not Define You And Eventually You Will Become A Doctor. Anything That Is Easy Is Really Not Worth It. Please Stay Strong And Continue To Follow Your Dreams. :)

Could Not Have Said It Any Better.

Guys... CONGRATULATIONS! We made it through the studying and the waiting! Now it's onto secondaries... does anyone have suggestions for schools I should add? My list is pretty short so far. Thanks!!

hi everyone! long time lurker but here are my results:

aamc practice scores: ranged from 33-38

real dealio:

VERB: 13
PHYS: 12
BIO: 11
WRITING SAMPLE: R

36R

i am SO HAPPY!!!!!11111
:hardy:

AMCAS Releases

The date shown is the date the scores were passed to the AMCAS system.
Series Date 78 08/09/2008

Umm.. Does that mean that I could have seen my score if I went to "Print application" on my AMCAS? If that is the case im going to be very pissed, that I could have had my score 9 days ago!!!!

Can anyone confirm that our scores were not viewable on AMCAS???

Hey, do they ever release a persons scores later than everyone else? My friend took it July 18th and his scores are not posted. He is sure he didn't accidentally click to have his score voided.

Needless to say he is pretty pissed right now...so is it possible that they will just release his score at a later time?

heyy Im wondering if an 8 in PS can get me screened out automatically at schools.. Im happy with my VR and BS since these scores were at the top of my ranges.. my overall came out to 28O

Well, I ended up w/a shi.tay 26T. 8 phy, 8 verbal, 10 bio. i have never scored below a 30 on the AAMC CBTs. How the eff I managed to score in the 99th percentile for the WS when I never even wrote out a practice essay is beyond my comprehension. I don't know what happened. I feel like killing myself. my parents told me i was a loser, and i have wasted pretty much the past 7 months of my life. i am so ashamed. i don't know what to do.

1. Your parents are jerks.
2. You didn't waste the last seven months... you just need to give it another shot.
3. Don't worry about the timing; you'll get the score you want and get into medical school if you keep at it.

Test Date Composite PS VR BS W Test
August 2003 37Q: 11PS/11VR/15BS
(brief interlude for life......)
AAMC averages (tests 3-9) 34.13: 10.3PS/12.5VR/11.4BS
July 18, 2008 34S: 11PS/12VR/11BS MCAT

I am pretty happy with a 34S. I guess the 15 in BS in 2003 was a fluke, because 11 really seemed to be my average BS score since then. I feel like I could have done a little better, but I'm certainly not going to take it again. The S in Writing is a little shocking, because I find that section annoying and especially hated the questions on 7/18. I'm having a bad day for other reasons, so maybe I'll be happier with my score tomorrow.

Last edited:
Phys: 11
Bio: 11
Verbal: 3
Writing R

25R

What should I do with this number?

I think it's another example of how poor the nonscience testing is on the MCAT. A 3 on VR and an R on WS? That should never be. I get my lowest scores on VR also, and it really makes no sense. I have two nonscience degrees from a major university, I'm a decent writer, and I had a career that necessitated communicating with all kinds of people, and solving problems by researching issues quickly. I hope I'm not just being bitter, but I really think the VR and WS are bad tests, and the VR score doesn't correlate to anything other than the fact that some people are good at picking the right answer.

I don't want to be a rabble rouser, though I think that someone who isn't me got my score! I took 4 practice AAMC exams under simulated conditions with more distractions and the worst score I ever received was a 35. I averaged 37 on the 4 practice exams that I took. However, my score on July 18th was 32?!!!! I feel like I would have had to purposely selected wrong answers to get that score. Does anyone else feel like they may have gotten the wrong score? I'm so stunned that I don't know what to do...this was my second time taking the MCAT and a 1 point improvement will not do. I think there was an error because it doesn't stand to reason that I could have been so consistent and then dropped so much. Who else feels they didn't receive their proper score?

I think AAMC takes great care to avoid mistakes so I don't think I got the wrong score. That said, I'm stunned -- actually, make that devastated. I scored 9-10 points lower than my practice scores. I had a feeling I'd score lower, but by a point or two, not 10. I really don't know what happened or where to go from here. Obviously, I have to retake and I've already outlined a new study plan that starts tomorrow, but this was so unexpected.

Ya, fortunately I have about 6 months to decide. I think it is strong enough for D.O but i have to decide if I want to try for M.D.

I don't know, some D.O. schools have a cut-off of 8. You should look into which schools have a cut-off and which do not. The good news is most schools will accept a 7 and your scores from the other sections are pretty strong so it could always be overlooked with a strong gpa/e.c.'s. Good Luck!

EDIT: For those of you that struggled with verbal I would *highly* recommend examkrackers verbal reasoning strategies. I used their method and it guarantees you a 10 at the very least. If you follow their regimen directly (I only started verbal practice 2 weeks before the actual test) for the 6 weeks or whatever it is that they say you will score above a 10 guaranteed. I scored a 10 and started waaaay after they suggested to start studying in their books. Before this I was scoring 8. I would use the verbal reasoning study guide, the audio osmosis (verbal section) and the 101 passages in verbal reasoning (a little excessive to do ALL of the passages but if you do 30-40 I would say you are more than set for a 10). Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hey guys. congrats to everyone who did well on this exam.
I on the other hand, did not do so hot =(
Phys. - 9
Verbal - 7
Bio - 9
WS - R

...so 25R

It's all strange because I was scoring around 28-32 on kaplan and aamcs. i just dont know what went wrong. I thought i did better on phys. and bio. but, i am not going to make excuses. i am a little disappointed with myself but here is my dilemma...I was hoping to still apply this cycle. I submitted amcas about 2 weeks ago. do you guys think i should consider a retake on 9/13?? or have i already lost my shot for this cycle and should prob wait till next cycle? my BCPM gpa is high - 3.94...all A/A- and i have a lot of shadowing and volunteer hours and other great ECs.

what do you guys think??? any advice/info would be greatly appreciated. i'm stressing out hear and seriously feel like crying =(

thanks in advance.
again, congrats to everyone who did well!

Last edited:
Hey guys. congrats to everyone who did well on this exam.
I on the other hand, did not do so hot =(
Phys. - 9
Verbal - 7
Bio - 9
WS - R

...so 25R

It's all strange because I was scoring around 28-32 on kaplan and aamcs. i just dont know what went wrong. I thought i did better on phys. and bio. but, i am not going to make excuses. i am a little disappointed with myself but here is my dilemma...I was hoping to still apply this cycle. I submitted amcas about 2 weeks ago. do you guys think i should consider a retake on 9/13?? or have i already lost my shot for this cycle and should prob wait till next cycle? my BCPM gpa is high - 3.94...all A/A- and i have a lot of shadowing and volunteer hours and other great ECs.

what do you guys think??? any advice/info would be greatly appreciated. i'm stressing out hear and seriously feel like crying =(

thanks in advance.
again, congrats to everyone who did well!

If u will consider DO i think u stand a great chance. GO FOR IT! i JUST read somewhere in the forum: nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Goodluck.

Devenp73,
You are not alone. I am absolutely BUMBED about my score. So I took this D*MN test last year at received a 17M. I studied my butt off this year only to go up 1 point. I STUPID, MF POINT!!!!! And I'm at work now, with everybody asking me how I did. I had to go breakdown in the bathroom. So after seeing my red, teary face, Noody has asked me anything.
I am going to wallow in self pity for the rest of the week, then start intense studying on Monday. I have already signed up for the Sept. 13 test. However, I am still freaking out b/c I realize that it's 2 weeks away. I haven't looked at MCAt material since July 18th.
Does anyone have any advice for studying in the next 2 weeks.
HELP!!!!!

Devenp73,
You are not alone. I am absolutely BUMBED about my score. So I took this D*MN test last year at received a 17M. I studied my butt off this year only to go up 1 point. I STUPID, MF POINT!!!!! And I'm at work now, with everybody asking me how I did. I had to go breakdown in the bathroom. So after seeing my red, teary face, Noody has asked me anything.
I am going to wallow in self pity for the rest of the week, then start intense studying on Monday. I have already signed up for the Sept. 13 test. However, I am still freaking out b/c I realize that it's 2 weeks away. I haven't looked at MCAt material since July 18th.
Does anyone have any advice for studying in the next 2 weeks.
HELP!!!!!

Good rule, Never tell many people you are taking the MCAT so you do not have to answer the question. I learned that one last time.

I would tell you to wait because in two weeks there is almost no chance you will raise that 18 to a 25+ in order to be at least competitive for DO.

PS:11
BS:10
VR: 5 !!!!!!?????
Writing: R

26R

I have no clue where that 5 came from. All my AAMCs were above 8 and was getting ~10s on the EK 101 passages. I really don't know what to do.

Sorry!! You just got my worse fear. I feel like I did worse on verbal than usual by alot. I am thinking a retake has to happen for you.

That 5 is killer. At least, you only need to work on one area hard :)

AAMC average - did all AAMCs, and 3 Kaplan tests

PS: 9 - 11
Verbal 10 - 13
BS: 9 - 11

Actual MCAT

PS 11
Verbal 9
Bio 9
Writing S

Total: 29S

Everything was going to plan, but I felt myself getting a little numb as the exam went on. Im an attorney, so I was able to well with the essay on law and justice, and the other essay was fairly easy as well (hence the S). I am real happy with the PS, but a little disappointed with the verbal. The longer passage lengths were a little problematic, and I was more pressed for time.

I think that since my post bacc GPA is high, my legal education/work, and some other aspects of my background will allow me to make up for getting a little under my desired score of 31-33. I do not plan on retaking. Now to finish my primary (I was too paralyzed with fear to put the finishing touches on it).

From searching previous threads it seems like a regrade can only possibly boost your essay score. It's a little tempting for me because I too did MUCH lower in verbal than I'd ever done previously and it seems a few of us out here are in the same boat, but since the test is computerized, I don't see a regrade changing anything..

It seems to me that alot of us are unhappy with WAY lower verbal scores than practice and past tests...must have been harder passages?? I just can't understand how I got a 6....The more I think about it the worse I feel

As for retaking in September, since you haven't been studying for a month now and the test is two weeks away, I would advise against that. I also need to retake, but I am going to wait and do it in January for next cycle if need be. That gives my plenty of time to study and an entire month before the test to prepare (my winter break)

Anyone have good ideas for things to do with a year off? I am very open to ideas! Thanks guys