The Adventures of Harbster Thread - the comic writer is feeling super organized today

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
:thumbup: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Bravo! Well done!

I don't know about this menacing new image of mine. But it is flattering.

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
yaah said:
You have cauterized my anterior and posterior tibials quite well, my friend. Nice to see you kept the smile on your face the whole time even while ruining my basketball career.
Special Olympics! :laugh:

Mrbojangles

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2004
Status
Now why would a cytoborg need gonads :smuggrin:? Aren't they half machine? Don't they just assimilate others like the Borg? Though I think I remember the Borg using incubators for fetuses on Voyager.

Btw as an aside how many Paps can a cytoborg screen ;).

OP
b&ierstiefel

b&ierstiefel

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
Mrbojangles said:
Now why would a cytoborg need gonads :smuggrin:? Aren't they half machine? Don't they just assimilate others like the Borg? Though I think I remember the Borg using incubators for fetuses on Voyager.

Btw as an aside how many Paps can a cytoborg screen ;).
1. In the original Star Wars, cytoborg needed his gonads & lightsaber to make sweet love eventually leading to the creation of Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia. Will Harbster interfere with cytoborg's master plan? Or will Harbster get his ass pwned by the cytoborg thereby leaving intact cytoborg's ability to make sweet sweet love.

2. A cytoborg can screen about 9 Paps. Thank you.

Mrbojangles

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2004
Status
Just 9? That's not very efficient for a half-man/half-machine.

When I was at one of my interviews this attending showed me a machine that screens Paps (I have no idea what the throughput was) before being screened again by a tech/pathologist. Now does that make sense? How can such a thing exist? Maybe it was for HPV screening? But what would it screen by immuno instead of PCR? :confused:

yaah

Boring
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status
Attending Physician
Mrbojangles said:
Just 9? That's not very efficient for a half-man/half-machine.

When I was at one of my interviews this attending showed me a machine that screens Paps (I have no idea what the throughput was) before being screened again by a tech/pathologist. Now does that make sense? How can such a thing exist? Maybe it was for HPV screening? But what would it screen by immuno instead of PCR? :confused:
That is the way technology is progressing - computers can be trained to pick up certain patterns and flag a case for review. There are false positives and false negatives, of course, and I am not sure what the numbers are, but they are probably going to be a factor some day. Computer probably looks at nuclear/cytoplasmic ratio, nuclear density, etc.

Mrbojangles

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2004
Status
Computers reading slides? That is pretty weird. I almost thought the guy was pulling my chain when he showed me the machine because I've never heard of such a thing. The only other histologic diagnostic machine I came accross on the interview trail was a machine at another place that quantified ER/PR (or was it her2/neu?) positivity on breast immunohistochemistry, which isn't that difficult to imagine.

OP
b&ierstiefel

b&ierstiefel

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
Non-Student
yaah said:
That is the way technology is progressing - computers can be trained to pick up certain patterns and flag a case for review. There are false positives and false negatives, of course, and I am not sure what the numbers are, but they are probably going to be a factor some day. Computer probably looks at nuclear/cytoplasmic ratio, nuclear density, etc.
wow that was deep.

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
On location
Status
Attending Physician
yaah said:
That is the way technology is progressing - computers can be trained to pick up certain patterns and flag a case for review.
Are we talking morphometry? That was explained to me a little while ago. Sounded like training a computer to be a pathologist. Also sounded like more effort than it was worth.... :confused:

DrYo12

Y-bomb
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
unfathomably much loved
Status
Resident [Any Field]
:love:

/me is an AndyMilonakis groupie

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
On location
Status
Attending Physician
bananaface said:
I hope I don't use the :barf: smiley later.
He's finally coming out of the closet and showing us his squishy side.

Whether we want to see it though, remains to be seen :laugh:

I did not realize there was a shortcut for the barf smiley! To think all this time I've been IMG linking it! :oops:

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
deschutes said:
He's finally coming out of the closet and showing us his squishy side.

Whether we want to see it though, remains to be seen :laugh:

I did not realize there was a shortcut for the barf smiley! To think all this time I've been IMG linking it! :oops:
We just added it to the options about a month ago.

OP
b&ierstiefel

b&ierstiefel

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
Non-Student
Which character would you like to be the focused on character in the next episode of The Adventures of Harbster?

C3PO (yaah)
R2D2 (andy)
Ewok (deschutes)
Geddy won Kenobi (geddy)
bananamidala (bananaface)
Harbster the wookie (harbster)
Princess Leia (stormjen)
Darth Vader (cytoborg)
Dr. Dean (he doesn't really count since he just made a cameo appearance)

Did I forget anyone?

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
On location
Status
Attending Physician
Why do I never get to be the sexy hot bimbo that all the guys fall for?

No guy is going to run after an ewok.

stormjen

Path PGY
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
Status
You guys kill me. May I never switch specialties.

OP
b&ierstiefel

b&ierstiefel

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
Non-Student
yaah said:
There were.

:laugh:

Deesa hosa Jedi Mind Trick! Ha ha ha ha.
yes...the writer of this comic likes the idea of EvoDevo being Jabba the Hut. this particular writer still deliberates on whether yaah should be forgiven of his past transgression regarding that picture.