The best course of action - need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YaTuSabes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have currently applied to only MD schools this cycle. Stats: 3.8 GPA/507 MCAT/NYS Resident
Some schools I applied to that were within the stat reach:
NYMC
Downstate
Upstate (hold)
Buffalo
Quinnipiac
Stony Brook
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
Penn State (hold)
Tufts
Rush
Albany (rejected)
I was verified in mid-august but due to committee letters and late secondary turn around, I ended up being complete everywhere late august to mid-september. It is december and I'm sitting at 2 pre-interview holds and o IIs.

If this cycle is a complete and total bust, I could:

1) apply immediately next year (this time to DO schools as well) and without retaking the MCAT (will use FAP and apply to lower tier MD schools). I will hopefully have a publication AND significant employment history (neither of which I had for this cycle). And of course, apply MUCH earlier like the first day AMCAS/AACOMAS opens.

2) retake the MCAT - however, looks like this option will require me to take two years off which is something that I really don't want to do (not retaking the MCAT part - the taking 2 years off - I won't have time to re-study for the MCAT until after I graduate and to ensure a significant improvement on retake, I am definitely going to need more time and have to skip out on next cycle).

I am simply lost right now and the only thing I know for sure is that I don't want to waste any time being uncertain without a serious course of action/plan in place. Any expert advice from current med students, established faculty, fellow premeds is very welcome. I thought this cycle would be it because I do think I gave it my best (regarding the personal statement, extracurriculars, letters etc.) but the lack of interest from medical schools is really killing any kind of self-confidence that I had.

Some extracurriculars that I included in this cycle:
Teaching Assistant position (1 summer)
Teaching abroad (1 month)
Hospital volunteering (two different departments - 2 years)
non-clinical volunteering at a non-profit (6 months)
americorp internship (1 summer - received award for service)
research (3 years - working towards a publication soon hopefully)
other on-campus activities that I elaborated on in the AMCAS

Thank you so much for reading!

@Goro @Catalystik @gyngyn @GrapesofRath
@LizzyM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I was you I would do option 1. You are a shoe in for DO schools but you are below average on MCAT and GPA for MD schools.

I would not retake your MCAT if you do not get accepted this cycle & your GPA is very good. I would apply more broadly to MD schools and apply broadly to DO schools and you should get an acceptance somewhere. During the time in between applications, I would get a clinical job like an ER scribe or something because applying is expensive and it will look good. Also, you should try to get shadowing hours (like 20 minimum, aim for 50)

Members don't see this ad :)
I will disagree and say retake the MCAT. Your GPA is good, and that MCAT may hold you back next year too. Why not try again?

Bruhhh... how is a 3.8 GPA below average for MD schools?

MCAT of 507? yeah for sure
3.8 is barely above average, and the 507 puts him in the pits for GPA/MCAT overall.

As for OP, not sure how extensive your hospital volunteering experience was, but it would help if you had different experiences with medicine. Shadow some physicians, get involved in clinical work (research, or something patient-oriented like scribing).

Hi everyone,
Thank you for the feedback.

I have no problem retaking the mcat. I believe i can improve it but due to family circumstances, a 2 year wait just sounds too unappealing. Also, what if my score actually tanks? Then what?

I am heavily leaning towards option 1 and don't really discriminate between an MD or a DO.

But then there is a possibility that the 507 might hold me back next year, but does that hold true for DO too? Is my new employment, earlier app and publication with current mcat score not significant of an update for md schools that I'll be reapplying to?

Last edited:
Lol people let's turn down the neuroticism for a second here. 3.8 is EXCELLENT

507 isn't bad by any stretch. If I were you, I'd do some shadowing/research and then reapply as early as possible next year. Your numbers are not a problem here, being verified in mid august is probably what's holding you back.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,
Again, thank you for replying

A part of me wants to skip out on the next cycle but i know Im running the risk of scoring lower on the MCAT. I have really strange mood swings where i get a burst of motivation and a "yeah i can do it!!!" Attitude and then i fall back into anxiety/depression/self doubt- this doesn't bode well for that retake especially knowing I'd be taking 2 years off when everyone else is out there achieving great things.

I guess now my only question remains:
Is a publication, new essays and new employment history (non-medical related) along with earlier app enough of an update to my last app?

Will I be okay for lower tier MDs and DO schools?

Last edited:
I've found that essays and EC have a lot more weight than you would think. I don't have the best stats (LizzyM ~69) but I've had two interviewers from separate schools tell me that I have a "really unique story" and that they could "tell I was in this for the right reasons". I think you should work more on the other aspects of your application like ECs and essays. Also with the ECs do what makes you happy! They don't have to be ALL pre-med things. I hope this helps :)

You're a shoe-in for nay DO school, including mine. I'm surprised that you're not getting any love, but the SUNYs might come through for you yet, so be patient.

If you're shut out, it will be important to get feedback on your rejections from Admissions deans.

Hi everyone,
Thank you for the feedback.

I have no problem retaking the mcat. I believe i can improve it but due to family circumstances, a 2 year wait just sounds too unappealing. Also, what if my score actually tanks? Then what?

I am heavily leaning towards option 1 and don't really discriminate between an MD or a DO.

But then there is a possibility that the 507 might hold me back next year, but does that hold true for DO too? Is my new employment, earlier app and publication with current mcat score not significant of an update for md schools that I'll be reapplying to?