The best sdn anesthesia post, ever. From, of course, zip.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
last day of residency was ,without a doubt, one of the best days of my life... I was on call, 3am get a call from burn unit to emergently intubate a big guy that had been 50% burned upper torso with smoke inhalation. Half a stick of stp and 100 o' sux-- all edema. I told myself i wasn't goin' out like this. Just rammed a 7.5 where i thought it should be and it slid in. Bs bilateral and pcxr was solid. O2 sats golden and rt lady all happy. No procedure note, no charge sheet. Beeper left at or board when no one was lookin'. Slid out hospital at 0645 with no goodby's, thank you's or gonna miss you's. Got to the apt. And loaded up u-haul with 100% va disability, 100% ss disability uncle( vietnam, agent orange, ptsd--you know the bogus gig). Letter and keys in an envelope dropped in the apt. Night box. No change or forwarding of address with post office, no cares about apt. Or electric deposits. Zippy done evaporated! Roll on out at 1700 with floorboard boom box playin' "comfortably numb", and a bottle of chilled wild turkey in the ice chest. Uncle drivin' and on outskirts of town we light up a big fat doober. I told him not to shut off the old biitch until we were home. Ole hunter thompson didn't have a thing on us that night... Regards, ---zip

wow! Best of all time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I call it most interesting, in a fictional book sort of way.

Not try to suggest that I know it to be fiction but I personally made a lot of good friends in residency. I wished them all well as I left. Still in contact with some of my attendings as well.

Jet, you and Zip have a real flair for literature. You are both very gifted in that arena. Maybe you should get together and come up with a book. You could each do your own collection of short stories. I'd buy it.

The first time I read Zip's quote, I pictured myself (an intern at the time) ending residency like that.

Of course I know that's not how it will be. I'll have a house to sell, kids in tow, goodbyes for certain people, etc. But his story is kind of like Huck Finn. A small part of each of us would love to live like that.

This of course begs the question: why Wild Turkey when this was clearly a Jack moment?

jet, i think you have referenced that post at least three different times in the past couple of years. and every time you do, i read it at least five times. and then, every time i check the forum over the next few days, i open up the thread again, and reread it. at least five times. it is just perfectly written, and i think someone else said it, every one of us wishes they could do it JUST LIKE THAT, but NONE OF US have the b**ls to pull it off.

except zip, i guess.

lol my favorite part is how he just slams in the ETT, dumps his sh it at the OR desk and slips out like a thief in the night. that's kinda how you want to go.

I remember the day I was done. Turned around, gave a huge finger to the hospital, and said, "man, that fu ckin blew". And left.

Not as dramatic, but it worked for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow! Best of all time.

To my knowledge this is the only post on the anesthesia forum that has ever referenced the great Hunter S. Thompson. If you have not read it, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" is truly a classic.

Add in an emergent intubation, a bottle of whiskey and a big fat spliff and you have a classic.

To my knowledge this is the only post on the anesthesia forum that has ever referenced the great Hunter S. Thompson. If you have not read it, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" is truly a classic.

Add in an emergent intubation, a bottle of whiskey and a big fat spliff and you have a classic.

I loved that book so much the first time I read it that I never returned it to my high school library...still had it up until a couple of years/moves ago.

Man, I totally forgot that name. She posted like crazy for a long time. I still remember reading that beat down- I almost has tenesma myself...

lol, you are dating yourself my friend. Womansurg has not been heard from after that horrific beating.

just wondering if you have any follow-up from an old thread:

"at my institution we are in the process of doing a lot of Functional Imaging under Anesthesia where you can see which parts of the brain are on and off, so more information will come soon"

any info appreciated.

It is a shame that she got run off, she had some good things to say.

I wouldn't say she was run off. Unless you're saying her own pride ran her off. She spouted her mouth off, Tenesma repeatedly corrected her, and when her lack of knowledge became obvious to everyone including her, she had too much pride to admit she was wrong and instead chose to leave.

I wouldn't say she was run off. Unless you're saying her own pride ran her off. She spouted her mouth off, Tenesma repeatedly corrected her, and when her lack of knowledge became obvious to everyone including her, she had too much pride to admit she was wrong and instead chose to leave.

That's what I meant.

I am not brain dead!!!!! I'v been lurking out on these forums ever since I've been proven to be a complete idiot, but I'm NOT BRAIN DEAD!!!!!! And when you cut into my belly I will grab your ass no matter how deep I am.

I am not brain dead!!!!! I'v been lurking out on these forums ever since I've been proven to be a complete idiot, but I'm NOT BRAIN DEAD!!!!!! And when you cut into my belly I will grab your ass no matter how deep I am.

PM me a picture and maybe we can arrange that. :smuggrin:

-pod

i am not brain dead!!!!! I'v been lurking out on these forums ever since i've been proven to be a complete idiot, but i'm not brain dead!!!!!! And when you cut into my belly i will grab your ass no matter how deep i am.

lol

been so long you forgot your login? Why the new name?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

that was very creative from a prose point of view, whoever you are.

jet, i think you have referenced that post at least three different times in the past couple of years. and every time you do, i read it at least five times. and then, every time i check the forum over the next few days, i open up the thread again, and reread it. at least five times. it is just perfectly written, and i think someone else said it, every one of us wishes they could do it JUST LIKE THAT, but NONE OF US have the b**ls to pull it off.

except zip, i guess.

Me too, Bro.

Me too.

It's that time of year again.

6 more hours to go on my last call and as usual I can't sleep.

Couple of emergent airways tonight including a dude who crumped on induction. I slammed the tube in and the first pressure came up at 40 systolic. Had my finger on a good facial artery pulse and sats and patient looked good so I just give a little Neo. Medicine fellow is freaking out cause I am just standing there saying wait for it, wait for it. Man it is good to have the confidence that the last three years has given me.

Won't be pulling a Zippy this year cause I gotta come back next week as a fellow, but I will keep dreaming about maybe next year.

- pod

It's that time of year again.

6 more hours to go on my last call and as usual I can't sleep.

Couple of emergent airways tonight including a dude who crumped on induction. I slammed the tube in and the first pressure came up at 40 systolic. Had my finger on a good facial artery pulse and sats and patient looked good so I just give a little Neo. Medicine fellow is freaking out cause I am just standing there saying wait for it, wait for it. Man it is good to have the confidence that the last three years has given me.

Won't be pulling a Zippy this year cause I gotta come back next week as a fellow, but I will keep dreaming about maybe next year.

- pod

:thumbup:

perfect timing. :)

i'm glad someone went and dug this up; i need to show it to all the graduating CA3s.

It's a nice piece of artistic writing, but hard to believe in the real life...

you have to submit all those little pieces of s*t he supposedly left on the OR table in order to get all your paperwork, including the diploma, the numbers and so on...

Not possible in the real life. At least now ;)

Wow. That Tensma/Womansurg debate was very educational. I seriously learned a lot. Thanks for linking it up.

cf

It's a nice piece of artistic writing, but hard to believe in the real life...

you have to submit all those little pieces of s*t he supposedly left on the OR table in order to get all your paperwork, including the diploma, the numbers and so on...

Not possible in the real life. At least now ;)

You probably don't believe Penthouse Forum is real either, do you.

:thumbdown:

last day of residency was ,without a doubt, one of the best days of my life... I was on call, 3am get a call from burn unit to emergently intubate a big guy that had been 50% burned upper torso with smoke inhalation. Half a stick of stp and 100 o' sux-- all edema. I told myself i wasn't goin' out like this. Just rammed a 7.5 where i thought it should be and it slid in. Bs bilateral and pcxr was solid. O2 sats golden and rt lady all happy. No procedure note, no charge sheet. Beeper left at or board when no one was lookin'. Slid out hospital at 0645 with no goodby's, thank you's or gonna miss you's. Got to the apt. And loaded up u-haul with 100% va disability, 100% ss disability uncle( vietnam, agent orange, ptsd--you know the bogus gig). Letter and keys in an envelope dropped in the apt. Night box. No change or forwarding of address with post office, no cares about apt. Or electric deposits. Zippy done evaporated! Roll on out at 1700 with floorboard boom box playin' "comfortably numb", and a bottle of chilled wild turkey in the ice chest. Uncle drivin' and on outskirts of town we light up a big fat doober. I told him not to shut off the old biitch until we were home. Ole hunter thompson didn't have a thing on us that night... Regards, ---zip

I only understand about 50% of what he is saying but still makes me laugh.

Zip & Tenesma's posts should be written in stone :thumbup:

I was trying to look for "zip" on SDN to see his posts, but I can't find who everyone here keeps talking about. Did he change his handle to something else by any chance? I'm pretty sure it's not zipmedic y'all are talking about.

Hey Plank, thanks for the screen name. i was actually looking it up earlier too, but came up empty-handed.

I have to give it to ALL you guys though, straight up OGs. I really wish all you guys would come back and start posting again, all your posts are ON POINT. Very educational and VERY fun to read. On a selfish note, its great for my mid-study breaks haha.

Hopefully one day....

graduating CA-3s gotta read this.

i'm on call tonight and then out of the hospital for good. don't know if it is as possible to be as badass as zip though. :cool: