The best way to prepare for the new MCAT (even though I do not have a strong foundation)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mspremed2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Whats the best way to study and prepare for the new MCAT? I do not have a very strong foundation in any of the sciences because I am a nontraditional student and took most of the classes a few years ago at a community college. I am not sure where to start.. Kaplan, Exam Krackers, YouTube? All feedback welcome, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Using Kaplan 7 book series and Khan worked well for me. Kaplan exams are not good though...use real AAMC and NS/EK instead.

Reactions: 1 users
From what I've gathered, if content is where you're lacking, then I'd stay with EK new MCAT series. Kaplan is a little more dense and assumes you have a basic grasp on all materials covered. Though, if you have the time, you could use KA to start then move up to Kaplan if you're strapped for cash. TPR can be hit or miss (CARS = miss, PS = hit, IMHO.)

But the test is so much more about HOW to take the test, rather than a rest on premed class knowledge. Don't get me wrong, having knowledge on the material tested in the passage is helpful and can give you some questions, but don't rely on it. Once you have a good foundation on knowledge, I'd put your effort on practicing the test and how to critically evaluate what's presented. Having taken the test (and needing a retake,) I can assure you it's 75% how to extrapolate data and answer the questions and 25% knowledge based.

What I found is old and new TBR books, TPR, NS, and of course AAMC materials are great ways to practice the test. Kaplan is okay and EK doesn't help in that realm whatsoever

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Hey everyone! Whats the best way to study and prepare for the new MCAT? I do not have a very strong foundation in any of the sciences because I am a nontraditional student and took most of the classes a few years ago at a community college. I am not sure where to start.. Kaplan, Exam Krackers, YouTube? All feedback welcome, thanks!
There's an entire forum for this:
MCAT Discussions