This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ray_of_Sunshine_MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN members,

I would like to get your advice on my chances of getting into medical school, specifically an MD school, at the age of 20 with getting my Biology degree early?

To further explain, I technically started college at the age of 15 while being in a unique dual enrollment program. I am currently a senior in highschool and a junior in college with the amount of college credits I have, however this is not the main point.

I know my age is a huge factor as to whether or not I can get in, as it shows a level of maturity. With the path I'm taking now, I'll be set to apply at the age of 20. I am worried that I am not doing enough currently though, despite being told by others that I'm doing fine.

I've been a tutor on and off for 3-4 years, I have a 3.9 GPA (I am taking my MCAT next summer), I have done multiple healthcare charity walks volunteer opportunities, as well as one for Habitats for Humanity. Currently I am a volunteer notetaker, and I have a few professors that I am close to, and I am also currently doing clinical research, a case study that is, that has a high likelyhood of being published. I plan to also go volunteer in Haiti next summer, as well as doing a few more research projects. I still feel a great amount of anxiety and feel that I am lacking still. I am conflicted about volunteering at a hospital, as there seems to be a back and forth on this website, however I have some clinical/patient experience from the shadowing and research I have done to put on my AMCAS.

Am I doing the right thing, or am I not doing enough?

Members don't see this ad.

20 isn't that early, I wouldn't expect it to matter. Some younger trad applicants are 20. Under 20 is where maturity becomes a bigger issue.

You're conflicted about clinical work? Why? You really need many hours in that area. What does your proposed trip to Haiti involve? Why are you going? It seems many of your activities are tied to campus activities. Maybe try venturing out on your own. You know-out of your comfort zone. How old you? Try working at a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen. Attending at age 20 won't be a problem if you can convince ADCOMS that you have the level of maturity needed to be successful in med school. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

If it makes you feel better, I'm applying at 20, but graduating a year early from AP credits. Just do w/e u want tbh. What matters for interviews is ur mcat (gpa doesnt really matter tbh, as long as it's 3.8+) and then ur EC's mostly take a shine during interviews.