Forum Members Official: Job Offer Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a job offer question? Post here. This thread is for any new/old job offer related inquiries for our residents and attendings.
Thanks and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Past threads about Job offers/questions/advice/inquiries; this thread is a sticky now!

Reactions: 5 users
1616029813297.png

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
Practices to not work for: Connecticut Foot Care Centers (Drs. Latif, Kahn, Kaufman), PA Foot & Ankle/Advanced Podiatry (Dr. Aisha Chaudhry)

Both are predatory practices looking to abuse new grads. I did not work for CT Foot Care, but spoke with the previous associate, who told me it's not as it seems.
I DID work for Chaudhry. It was a nightmare.

PPs are routinely offering a base salary of 100k with bonus of 20-30% over 3-4x base salary. You will never make that bonus and it is NOT standard in medicine (in podiatry, it's quite common). A low salary of 100k (which is pretty common for starting salary) would not be THAT bad if your bonus is 40% - or even 30% - of your 2x base salary.

When you interview, ask to see proof that a former associate made this bonus and by how much. Do not accept extremely restrictive non-competes (radius of 50 miles, for example, was a "non-negotiable" term in a contract for a job I interviewed for).

Listen. We NEED to be vocal about this. We will never be able to support ourselves or our families and buy homes and pay off our loans if we allow ourselves to be abused. And this includes new grads too - do not be silent bc you believe in the power of proving yourself. You will burn yourself out and, in the end, it will get you nowhere.

We NEED to name and shame. And we NEED to advocate for ourselves and EACH OTHER. By talking about salary & predatory practices, by sticking together, is how we will ALL move forward within our profession AND medicine as a whole. Even if your base salary is 250k, by acknowledging that we ALL should be making what we're worth, you will have more power to negotiate EVEN MORE for yourself.

Please contact me if you have any questions. I am 2 years out of residency.

/Endrant

Reactions: 28 users
Hi guys, I've been on reddit, other social media platforms. I kind of feel like I'm getting censored, but maybe I'm not. Maybe I'm just paranoid, ha! We've been arguing about salary fairness in the field and we could argue about it all day. The main point is just don't get screwed like I did. It might be hard to find a "fair"-paying job straight out of residency, but that absolutely does not mean you should take these trash offers. It's ultimately not about the money - THE STRUCTURE LISTED ABOVE--SPECIFICALLY THIS STRUCTURE--is PREDATORY BY NATURE. That is, quite literally, its purpose. Print this out, give it to everyone you know and compare it to the contracts you're offered. Do not be a gunner and keep it to yourself. Because everyone, including you, will be better off knowing this. Our field will be better. You will waste valuable time at a place like this and you'll be no better off. I know we're worried about case numbers, etc, but do not let that blind you, bc in the end if you do, you'll be regretful, like I was, like a lot of my friends were. Bc I had no idea the amount of predators who will look you in the face and tell you their practice is a "family." They are SOCIOPATHS. And it's quite disturbing how many of them you'll encounter.

And honestly, I'm doing fine, I'm happy. I'm not where I want to be, but it's not the end of the world. I'm just mad no one told me, bc I wouldn't have made this mistake.

So I'm telling you now. Let us be the last to make these mistakes.

Reactions: 7 users
Thank you for sharing! I definitely agree with what you’ve said and I hope others will heed your advice.

Thank you for the post. I’m currently in residency and will be looking for work in the near future. I wish we had more people posting fair PP jobs that they received or have accepted. These salary forums make it seem as if every graduating podiatrist will be making 100k at most.

Thank you for the post. I’m currently in residency and will be looking for work in the near future. I wish we had more people posting fair PP jobs that they received or have accepted. These salary forums make it seem as if every graduating podiatrist will be making 100k at most.
In private practice? yes it's pretty damn close. There will be some outliers but the majority are making salaries in between 75K-125K first year out of residency. Go solo. Seriously go solo

We applied broadly throughout the US and looked for jobs daily. It was very stressful but worth it. Hang in there yall! :)
This is the way
Unfortunately A solid job is not going to be presented to you on a golden platter
Too many residents wait until march of their graduation year to start looking and end up with crappy PP jobs.
Start your 2nd year.
Apply broadly.

Reactions: 3 users
Good afternoon everyone,

I am currently a first year podiatry resident but have decided not to continue pursuing a path to clinical podiatry. What other job(s) can I get with a doctor of podiatric medicine (DPM) degree that pays well (non-clinical in nature)?

Good afternoon everyone,

I am currently a first year podiatry resident but have decided not to continue pursuing a path to clinical podiatry. What other job(s) can I get with a doctor of podiatric medicine (DPM) degree that pays well (non-clinical in nature)?
There aren’t any. Good luck though.

Reactions: 4 users
Good afternoon everyone,

You can work for a hardware company as a clinical director or whatever made up name it can be...probably only if you also have an engineering background, as you'll probably have to design things and/or tweak existing designs.

Aside from that...sandwich artist at Subway (that also happens to have a DPM degree).

Members don't see this ad :)
You can work for a hardware company as a clinical director or whatever made up name it can be...probably only if you also have an engineering background, as you'll probably have to design things and/or tweak existing designs.

Aside from that...sandwich artist at Subway (that also happens to have a DPM degree).
yeah lets hire someone for a hardware position who didn't use any hardware because they quit residency and didn't do surgery. There are plenty of practcing pods who would take the opportunity if it came along.

Finish residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Good afternoon everyone,

Late to the show to decide you dont want to do the profession anymore.

If youre in massive dept from school then you should finish and find a way to pay off those loans.

At minimum finish 1 year of residency so you can practice in some (all?) states in a non operative practice.

Cut nails or work at a wound healing center 3 days a week. That wouldnt be that bad. At least until you can pay those loans off.

Or consider getting a JD and be a health care attorney?

We need to be more solutions oriented people. If you've graduated from residency than you are clearly more than smart enough to try and create a competing product to Podiatry Presents. Sit down and create 50 really good lectures and then try to get residencies that have crappy academics to pay for your lectures.

Alternatively you could try to become a coding guru and market yourself as a teller of secret knowledge.

Or better yet - practice management. Start cold calling old podiatrists telling them you'll help them sell their practices.

If you would like to start a Podiatry Management News Parody - in which you write scathing comments about the sort of questions/concerns that come up on PM News - I would be willing to read it but I will not click on your ads.

We need to be more solutions oriented people. If you've graduated from residency than you are clearly more than smart enough to try and create a competing product to Podiatry Presents. Sit down and create 50 really good lectures and then try to get residencies that have crappy academics to pay for your lectures.

Alternatively you could try to become a coding guru and market yourself as a teller of secret knowledge.

Or better yet - practice management. Start cold calling old podiatrists telling them you'll help them sell their practices.

If you would like to start a Podiatry Management News Parody - in which you write scathing comments about the sort of questions/concerns that come up on PM News - I would be willing to read it but I will not click on your ads.
Yeah I think there is enough content for a Pod focused Gomer style blog

Good afternoon everyone,

What made you decide not to continue with the clinical aspect of Podiatry? You went through 4 years of pod school and were qualified enough for the match; to the very least, you should finish residency then decide which path to follow.

I feel like that quote can be used for any of the 9 programs. :D

What made you decide not to continue with the clinical aspect of Podiatry? You went through 4 years of pod school and were qualified enough for the match; to the very least, you should finish residency then decide which path to follow.

I feel like that quote can be used for any of the 9 programs. :D
Nothing in particular. It is just not something I am interested in pursuing anymore. Can someone add input for alternative career options that pay well ($80k+ after taxes)?

Nothing in particular. It is just not something I am interested in pursuing anymore. Can someone add input for alternative career options that pay well ($80k+ after taxes)?
Well then who cares what it pays, it just needs to be something you are interested in pursuing now. I think we have all established that you have minimal to no options that might relate to your 4 years of Podiatry school. So do what interests you and don't ask a bunch of podiatrists.

If you're not married...marry a podiatrist. That's the only podiatry related thing I can tell you at this point.

Finish residency. That way you can practice, at least get ABPM boards after you are done. You might be able to find administrative roles with no or very little time in the clinic at some point but most of those are reserved for MDs. You can also look for Medical Science Liaison jobs that will accept the DPM since pharmds, mds, dos and phds are usually considered for those roles. For the MD they usually want the person to have finished residency.

Last edited:
Finish residency. That way you can practice, at least get ABPM boards after you are done. You might be able to find administrative roles with no or very little time in the clinic at some point but most of those are reserved for MDs. You can also look for Medical Science Liaison jobs that will accept the DPM since pharmds, mds, dos and phds are usually considered for those roles. For the MD they usually want the person to have finished residency.
Okay what you're saying makes sense. Thank you!

You welcome. They are podiatrists who are chief medical officers, chief medical informatics officers and medical science liaisons. It’s just rare. I would put off any career change off until after you finish residency. Good luck!
Oh ok wow!

Is working at nursing homes doing nails and calluses also possible for someone with a DPM without a medical license? Also what about medical director of an insurance company?

Last edited:
Oh ok wow!

Is working at nursing homes doing nails and calluses also possible for someone with a DPM without a medical license? Also what about medical director of an insurance company?
It is not. Companies like Health Drive still require a podiatry license to do nail. Most Medical director roles require a license. They are some roles that don’t. I know that some big pharm companies have non-md medical director jobs for pharmds, nurses and phds. You can find them on LinkedIn.

Is working at nursing homes doing nails and calluses also possible for someone with a DPM without a medical license?

No. They need to be able to bill medicare for your work which can’t be done if you aren’t licensed.

And I would be shocked if an insurance company hired a medical director with zero practice experience. Sure, you could be unlicensed, but it’s because you’re a 50 year old internist with 15-20 years of practice experience who is no longer interested in clinical medicine. Not a podiatry school graduate who never completed residency and has no experience with billing/coding/admin/etc.

A DPM degree without the ability to practice podiatry and no relevant clinical experience is as useless as a bachelor’s of arts in gender studies.

Reactions: 2 users
I am currently hiring, please let me know if this offer is fair.
100k first year - then starting 2nd year 31% of total collections increasing 1% per year until 37%
401k, malpractice, health ins and cme included
location - Central Florida

• Angry
  • Dislike
100k first year - then starting 2nd year 31% of total collections increasing 1% per year until 37%
Travel nurses make more than $100k per year, and by quite a bit. No thanks!!!

Travel nurses make more than $100k per year, and by quite a bit. No thanks!!!
Yea its 100k or 30% - whichever is higher. So if you work hard and aren't lazy, can easily do 200k.

• Dislike
Yea its 100k or 30% - whichever is higher. So if you work hard and aren't lazy, can easily do 200k.
There's a growing belief on this forum that, pick your poison, its awful to only be paid $200K on collections of $666K which is what would happen in the scenario you are describing.

Your offer is a pretty common podiatry offer. A consultant would tell you it is amazing. What I can tell you as an associate-about-to-be-partner is that I interviewed with plenty of people making similar offers and none of them ever managed to hire anyone. I visited practices of old podiatrists who wouldn't pay to replace the sign that had the name of the associate who bailed. Turn over is high. There's plenty of reasons for this. Many have the kind of practice no one would want to be at. Many podiatrists are frankly mentally ill / broken / dishonest / deranged / and intolerable to work with. But pay is assuredly a part of it.

Your pay structure obviously increases, but here's the problem. No one is ever going to reach those numbers because they are going to be gone before then. My associate pay structure had a clause that allowed an escalation in my pay. It was profit based and I stuck around to see what it would be. It is substantially better than where I would be on your system. Had my pay increased 1% a year - I would have left the second I had financing arranged for my own practice. I. was looking for a raise that would drastically increase my quality of life and 1% a year does not unless you started at 200K and are at the VA working as little as you can.

This forum has all manner of people posting - PP, associates, VA, hospital based. There's an enormous spread and if any hospital people post here they'll tell you that your offer is a turd.

From speaking to friends in PP

-Anyone anywhere can get a 30% offer. If you want to post your offer, receive 100 resumes without cover letters, talk to 20 people, invite a few down for an interview and then ultimately get ghosted and feel miffed - continue your current plan.

-If you want to hire someone - start at 35%, In your $200K/$666K scenario above the associate would make $233K at 35%. That's a trivial difference on that volume of collections but 35% will stand out in a sea of 30% offers.

-If you want to keep someone - get them to 40%. Otherwise they'll always be looking for a facility offer.

If someone reaches out to me and says they have "bonus" tiers with time periods or complicated and convoluted fee structures I will tell them they are getting screwed everytime.

Curious what 401k and health insurance means. You pay part/sum of premium? You match 1,2, 3 or 4 % of contributions? Or they just have access to pre negotiated plans and are responsible for 100 percent?

What heybrother said is all true.

I think any podiatrist looking to hire an associate only needs to ask themselves one question, “could I hire a nurse practitioner for the salary/pay I’m offering this young Doctor?”

Most of the time the answer is “no” and you might as well stop right there. If the answer is “yes,” then you can ask a second question. “Does this podiatrist have more value to my practice than a nurse practitioner?” Again, if the answer is no, then stop and hire a nurse practitioner. If it is yes then you need to determine how much more a podiatrist is worth compared to a nurse who can practice independently.

I have a few pediatrician friends and even they were offered around $180k to work for private pediatric practices coming out of residency. A podiatry associate should generate more revenue than a pediatrician. 100% of the time. If they don’t/can’t then a practice was never ready to hire in the first place…

I’m going solo out of residency if my best offers are what is described above. I’ve worked too hard to be paid like a PA, travel nurse, or NP. But then again, can’t wait for reality to hit me in the face.

Maybe this should be a different thread but:

Anyone know how podiatry salaries are keeping up with inflation? Everything rising but our salaries?

Maybe this should be a different thread but:

Anyone know how podiatry salaries are keeping up with inflation? Everything rising but our salaries?
The MGMA for FA Podiatry reached parity with OBGYN @ $310K this past year which is a good sign. The newer residency grads are also increasingly aware of what they’re worth.

On the inflation point it’s interesting that these are the same $100K salaries that have been offered for the past 20 years (from what I read on here). I have no personal experience with this because I did not apply to...a single...private practice Podiatry set up.

Edit after taking a further look for Podiatry, Foot & Ankle:
MGMA Average $325K
MGMA Median $306K

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
The MGMA for FA Podiatry reached parity with OBGYN @ $310K this past year which is a good sign. The newer residency grads are also increasingly aware of what they’re worth.

On the inflation point it’s interesting that these are the same $100K salaries that have been offered for the past 20 years (from what I read on here). I have no personal experience with this because I did not apply to...a single...private practice Podiatry set up.
Good news on the mgma.

But with the inflation thing that’s exactly why I asked. I’ve read this forum for at least 5 years now, and have read threads that are 10+ years old and the private practice salary remains the same. While inflation on the other hand… lol. Makes PP jobs even more unattractive!

This "offer" is terrible, just like most private practice podiatry jobs.
Why don't you offer at least offer what the bottom 10% of pods make as a base salary at $141k? Is it because you know that you don't have the patient load for this poor associate sucker? So you'll tell this associate to go out and market (your business) that you'll never offer this associate any reasonable partnership
Why don't you offer that 37% "bonus" in the first year? Gotta chip off some of the associate's hard earned revenue for your beach house?
Good riddance.

So assuming someone isn't looking to retire or "slow down" how would someone determine what is a volume that they want to bring on an associate? Seeing 25 a day and booked out 4 weeks? No idea how this stuff works.

Then why don’t you just offer the 200k as base? Because you know this is a fantasy that you’re going to lie about to your prospective associate.

What exactly is working hard and not being lazy? Making the associate go “market” for hours every day for the first year because your practice doesn’t have the patient flow for another provider? 🙄

I would not accept this offer.
Your offer is a turd.

Reactions: 7 users
Keep in mind FQHCs... another opportunity to make good pay + benefits. Not the best patient population usually but malpractice guaranteed thru federal tort protection, usually 401k, medical, dental, etc

Podiatry has probably seen the fastest wage/compensation growth amongst medical specialties in the MGMA surveys over the past decade. I haven’t looked at all of the specialties in every survey, but I’d be shocked if any other specialty has seen a 25-30% increase in median compensation over the last 5-6 years. Podiatry has. But there is a simple explanation that doesn’t have anything to do with inflation, actual rising wages, etc.

MGMA takes surveys of hospital/large MSG employed doctors every year. Ortho, OB, gen surg, primary care, etc. have been employed in these positions for a long time and in large numbers. Podiatry hasn’t. When the data points for podiatry were fewer, median compensation was lower. Hospitals then took this $240k median compensation number and used it to justify pay for new hospital/MSG podiatrists. There is almost always a production component to these jobs and the podiatrists who got them easily out-produced that $240k base. So the next year, when MGMA took their survey, there became more data points of podiatrists making significantly more money than previous surveys. So new positions started people at $255k the following year or two. Those new hires out-produce that contract and the data points continued to rise…wash, rinse, repeat. Eventually our MGMA numbers will level off, probably somewhere in the low to mid $300ks, and won’t grow as rapidly as they have been over the past 5-10 years. Then hopefully we see some increases for inflation, but I don’t think medicine in general has kept up with inflation as well as other professions. Largely because reimbursements are lower today than they were 20 years ago

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Yeah I remember when I used to look at the data, was always amazed at how few data points were used to come up with the numbers.

Then why don’t you just offer the 200k as base? Because you know this is a fantasy that you’re going to lie about to your prospective associate.

What exactly is working hard and not being lazy? Making the associate go “market” for hours every day for the first year because your practice doesn’t have the patient flow for another provider? 🙄
Ding ding! This right here. The math equates to be the same if you truly believe your practice is this busy with the potential because if you truly believe, you still have the upside correct? Unless we are all missing key information.

What doesn’t make sense to me is how one can hire a new associate and take 70% of the their hard work. This greed and skewed morale compass is just sad. I had offers for as low as salary plus 20-25%.

Please correct me if I’m wrong - in the above 200/666k scenario - at your percentage offered, you’re still pocketing a large portion of your associates hard work. Why not let the associate keep say 50-70% and continue to make the practice busier while you’re still collecting money from their hard work?? Am I too naive?

No. Stop viewing associates as work mules and compensate them appropriately. Nurses literally make more.

Ding ding! This right here. The math equates to be the same if you truly believe your practice is this busy with the potential because if you truly believe, you still have the upside correct? Unless we are all missing key information.

What doesn’t make sense to me is how one can hire a new associate and take 70% of the their hard work. This greed and skewed morale compass is just sad. I had offers for as low as salary plus 20-25%.

Please correct me if I’m wrong - in the above 200/666k scenario - at your percentage offered, you’re still pocketing a large portion of your associates hard work. Why not let the associate keep say 50-70% and continue to make the practice busier while you’re still collecting money from their hard work?? Am I too naive?

Mostly agree with everything you're saying here, but wanted to chime in that you're missing overhead here. Can vary largely based on geography/practice set up/efficiency/benefits, but is typically going to land between 40 and 60% of collections (hopefully 45ish%). So in most cases there is truly no way to pay an associate much more than 50% collections.

The biggest problem is that often times these private practices are taking advantage of the associates on the front and backend. Not only do they want to give you 25-35% of your collections so they can pocket the other 25% all while telling you to go out and "market yourself", giving you new patients with worse insurance, using your training to expand their services.