Carle-Illinois College of Medicine LCME accredited and open to applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Carle Illinois College of Medicine
Page Liked · 2 hrs ·
It's a big day! We're actively recruiting our first class of 32 physician-innovators. We're proudly offering full four-year scholarships to the entire class.
News Article Link: UI med school gets big bump for recruiting first class

Carle-Ill Accredited.jpg

Edit: 10/28/2017 Carle Illinois College of Medicine is now available as an AMCAS selection under "Add Medical School."

Program *
Regular M.D. (Currently only U.S. citizens or permanent residents may be considered for admission) (Restricted)

Program Deadline
January 18, 2018

Transcript Deadline
February 1, 2018

Edit 10/31/17: What are the letters of recommendation requirements?
All applicants are required to submit letters of evaluation and recommendation through the AMCAS letter service; no outside letters or information will be accepted by the Office of Admissions. Prospective students may submit a maximum of 4 letters of evaluation. The following are acceptable:

1. A premedical committee report or other composite letter of recommendation from the applicant’s primary college or university.
OR
2. If the primary college or university does not have a premedical committee, at least 3 individual letters of recommendation on official letterhead: 2 from individual professors with whom the applicant has taken classes or participated in research (at least 1 in STEM-science, technology, engineering or mathematics) and 1 letter from a non-academic individual (e.g. an advisor, a supervisor from a work or volunteer experience).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Carle Illinois College of Medicine
Page Liked · 2 hrs ·
It's a big day! We're actively recruiting our first class of 32 physician-innovators. We're proudly offering full four-year scholarships to the entire class.
News Article Link: UI med school gets big bump for recruiting first class

View attachment 224486

The cited article says: Applications will be available on the college's website starting today.

Nice of them to offer full rides to the guinea pig class.

Reactions: 2 users
It's not in the amcas yet.

Reactions: 3 users
Before you get set to apply, unless you are an engineering major, you better check out their "suggested courses"! Two semesters of calculus, one semester of statistics, multivariable calculus, differential equations, linear algebra...

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Before you get set to apply, unless you are an engineering major, you better check out their "suggested courses"! Two semesters of calculus, one semester of statistics, multivariable calculus, differential equations, linear algebra...
To expand on their expectations:

Suggested Experience
Future applicants should have strong backgrounds in biology, chemistry/biochemistry, mathematics/statistics, physics and social sciences.

A competitive applicant who will be more likely to succeed in our curriculum will also have some experience in:
  • computer programming and languages
  • coding
  • modeling and/or data sciences
  • healthcare settings
and will demonstrate:
  • strong interpersonal communication
  • service
  • leadership skills
  • Innovation, design, entrepreneurship, intellectual property, or industrial experience in medical or related settings is a plus.
Suggested Courses and Labs
Competency in the areas listed above will most likely be met through courses taken during undergraduate education. The following list of courses would provide the appropriate background. We recognize that other course formats or combinations can also provide equivalent preparation. Our unique curriculum includes significant quantitative analyses; therefore, the necessary quantitative background goes beyond that gained in the typical premedical curriculum.

Applicants may demonstrate competence through the following suggested courses and labs:
  • General/Organic Chemistry with Lab (3 semesters)
  • Biochemistry (1 semester)
  • Biology with Lab (2 semesters)
  • Physiology, Systems Biology or other advanced biology course (1 semester)
  • Physics with Lab (2 semesters)
  • Humanities/Social Science course work as defined by the undergraduate major
  • Calculus (2 semesters)
  • Statistics (1 semester)
  • Multivariable calculus
  • Differential equations
  • Linear algebra
Citizenship
Currently, only U.S. citizens or permanent residents will be considered.

Taken from: Before You Apply – Carle Illinois College of Medicine

Reactions: 1 users
Any idea what kind of stats they would target? Only 32 students + free tuition would make it pretty competitive I would think. On the other hand, it is late in the cycle, not in an amazingly popular town, and new. I would tend to think they are targeting engineers with advanced degrees, but not sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Any idea what kind of stats they would target?
From the FAQ page at FAQ – Carle Illinois College of Medicine

Both MCAT and GPA will be used as components in a holistic evaluation of an applicant to ensure they have the appropriate competencies to succeed in our unique curriculum.

While we do not have a minimum MCAT requirement, successful matriculants to medical school typically average a score of 509.
MCAT scores are good for three years. Applicants are welcome to take the MCAT more than one time. If the applicant takes the MCAT three or more times, a new average score will be calculated. Otherwise, we will use your best MCAT score.
More details:
After initial screening, secondary applications will be sent to eligible students at no cost. Our innovative, non-traditional secondary application process will consist of a portfolio and video response to questions related to the ethics and values of medicine.

Admissions Committee decision notifications will be made on a rolling basis beginning mid-February of 2018 for the class entering July 2018. We will maintain an admissions waitlist until our class is complete.

Last edited:
They sent a mass email to the entire school that says they will have an open house on October 21st and November 18th

Last edited:
They sent a mass email to the entire school that says they will have an open house on October 22nd and November 18th

Actually it's October 21st, not 22nd.

I'm torn on whether to apply... I have taken all the required courses, but I have no experience with computer programming and coding. Hmmm.

I'm torn on whether to apply... I have taken all the required courses, but I have no experience with computer programming and coding. Hmmm.

The big question is what happens if you get it? Haha. Take a full ride to be a guinea pig in a small PBL type curriculum or a more established program.

Realistically, I'll probably apply. I am worried they will be too research focused and less community service orientnated.

Fixed!

Members don't see this ad :)
If anybody applies and gets the secondary questions, please let us know!

I have a CS background so I will definitely be adding this school given their very nice scholarship. However still cannot find them in amcas.

The big question is what happens if you get it? Haha. Take a full ride to be a guinea pig in a small PBL type curriculum or a more established program.

Realistically, I'll probably apply. I am worried they will be too research focused and less community service orientnated.

Free ride all the way.

I have a CS background so I will definitely be adding this school given their very nice scholarship. However still cannot find them in amcas.
The website says November. I bet it shows up before then, though. (The reason being that original projections I heard for getting the LCME decision was late October.)

The website says November. I bet it shows up before then, though. (The reason being that original projections I heard for getting the LCME decision was late October.)

Looks like they're just waiting on some final paperwork to go through. This was sent out to faculty/staff/students today from the UIUC chancellor today:

Dear Members of the Campus Community,

I am pleased to announce that the Carle Illinois College of Medicine has received preliminary accreditation from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME). I hope you will join me in congratulating Dean King Li and his team and our colleagues at Carle on this accomplishment for our first new college in more than 60 years.

The LCME is the U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting body for programs leading to the M.D. degree in the United States. The Carle Illinois College of Medicine is still seeking approval from the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) to offer the Doctor of Medicine degree.

Admissions information for the program is now online, and the College will host open houses for anyone interested in learning more about it on October 21 and November 18. The first cohort of 32 students, who are expected to begin classes in July 2018, will receive full four-year scholarships funded by donors and friends of the College.

This is an exciting milestone for the Carle Illinois College of Medicine, the first engineering-based medical school that will revolutionize the future of healthcare. We look forward to accreditation from the HLC, and we can’t wait to welcome this new group of physician-innovators to campus next summer.

Sincerely,

Robert J. Jones
Chancellor

So just to be clear, there is no way to apply to this program currently?

A competitive applicant who will be more likely to succeed in our curriculum will also have some experience in:
  • computer programming and languages
  • coding
  • modeling and/or data sciences
  • healthcare settings

What an absolutely fantastic thought. More MDs need to trained/familiar with these, we're already far too behind, even with my own generation of residents. I'm gonna email my alumni association to see if the alma mater can incorporate some of these concepts better.

Bacon ipsum dolor amet meatloaf tri-tip jowl turducken alcatra. Rump alcatra picanha, ball tip ham sirloin prosciutto. Leberkas chuck jowl, short loin pancetta ribeye shankle tenderloin pork belly picanha. Porchetta ground round jerky cow. Shankle t-bone sausage corned beef short ribs chuck jowl hamburger salami beef beef ribs. Filet mignon shoulder jowl kielbasa.
LOL. Now we know, Where's the beef?

Edit: On 10/18/17 the Clerkship description page was changed from the above to:
Early Clinical Experience

You will have immediate clinical experience through interacting with real patients in your first week. During the clinical integration course, you will be paired with a physician mentor who will guide you through developing foundational clinical skills and an understanding of healthcare systems. Your family medicine clerkship begins at the start of your second year.

Carle Health System will offer Carle Illinois students in-depth clinical experiences in internal medicine, surgery, pediatrics, psychiatry, neurology, family medicine, obstetrics and gynecology. Students will have an early opportunity to engage in advanced clinical electives.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Looks like it would have been a good fit for me if I was applying now.

Wondering if I should apply - I have all the prerequisites but no t a fan of the weather. On the other hand, I can survive anything for 4 years...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Wondering if I should apply - I have all the prerequisites but no t a fan of the weather. On the other hand, I can survive anything for 4 years...
The weather is a lot better with the coats you can buy with the free tuition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Just talked with my husband. As a career changer with over 10 years of engineering experience, I’m going to throw my name in the hat.

Reactions: 14 users
The website says the program will not be in AMCAS until early November

My biggest question right now is whether I have to retake Linear Algebra if it is just a "suggested" course. I got a D :(

My biggest question right now is whether I have to retake Linear Algebra if it is just a "suggested" course. I got a D :(
Learn 2 row reduce

@Catalystik - what should applicants ask about and consider when looking into new schools? I see a few schools that seem very successful (UCF, Hofstra) and then others that are not (Cal Northstate). I think any of us who might apply here want to be sure we aren't getting ourselves into a bad situaiton.

@Catalystik - what should applicants ask about and consider when looking into new schools? I see a few schools that seem very successful (UCF, Hofstra) and then others that are not (Cal Northstate). I think any of us who might apply here want to be sure we aren't getting ourselves into a bad situaiton.

Just want to throw in my $0.02, although my knowledge is more anecdotal. This school is not standing on its own as a medical institution like CNU. It's part of the UIUC system, which is well-respected in the state of Illinois. The facilities are already all in place because the University of Illinois had Urbana as one of it's regional campuses up until a couple years ago. Having a partnership with Carle should ensure prime access to the local healthcare system since there aren't any other medical schools in the area competing for access to this hospital, and this hospital is the only Level I trauma center in the region. Plus UIUC is one of the top schools for engineering in the nation, so they've got that going for them as well. Perhaps I just don't know much about getting a new school up and running, but I would imagine that they are going to be set up for success.

Reactions: 5 users
Just want to throw in my $0.02, although my knowledge is more anecdotal. This school is not standing on its own as a medical institution like CNU. It's part of the UIUC system, which is well-respected in the state of Illinois. The facilities are already all in place because the University of Illinois had Urbana as one of it's regional campuses up until a couple years ago. Having a partnership with Carle should ensure prime access to the local healthcare system since there aren't any other medical schools in the area competing for access to this hospital, and this hospital is the only Level I trauma center in the region. Plus UIUC is one of the top schools for engineering in the nation, so they've got that going for them as well. Perhaps I just don't know much about getting a new school up and running, but I would imagine that they are going to be set up for success.

This is what I was thinking when I read through the website (and other news sources). I'm actually kind of excited about the possibility of applying. Who knew that computational research may come in handy this application season.

I'm still a southerner, but definitely willing to brave the midwest for this kind of opportunity.

I'm still a southerner, but definitely willing to brave the midwest for this kind of opportunity.
At least it's southern Illinois. Not near Chicago weather.

@Catalystik - what should applicants ask about and consider when looking into new schools? I see a few schools that seem very successful (UCF, Hofstra) and then others that are not (Cal Northstate). I think any of us who might apply here want to be sure we aren't getting ourselves into a bad situation.
Read through the Cal Northstate critique threads and look at the concerns expressed re lack of Federal loan availability, quality of faculty in regards to academic productivity, and their slapdash method of selecting the inaugural class (didn't use AMCAS, just faxes and PayPal), etc. I agree with @tiramisucheese that there will be no concerns about untested clinical sites and lack of excellent engineering mentors.

Last edited:
University of Illinois had Urbana as one of it's regional campuses up until a couple years ago.
It's still a regional campus for the UIC med school. They stopped taking new MD/PhD candidates two years ago and this is the first fall without a new MS-1 class (as they are now all accommodated by the other regional campuses). A commitment was made to continue until all current students have graduated.

DO IT. Interdisciplinary approaches to learning are the best; take that engineering experience and bring it to the medical world!

It's still a regional campus for the UIC med school. They stopped taking new MD/PhD candidates two years ago and this is the first fall without a new MS-1 class (as they are now all accommodated by the other regional campuses). A commitment was made to continue until all current students have graduated.

Thank you for clarifying. I was a bit unclear in my previous post. I meant to say that they have stopped offering it as an option for new med students. The only campuses now are Chicago, Peoria, and Rockford. Urbana as a new campus is now exclusively reserved for Carle.

I'm kind of regretting not purchasing the 800-fill down parka that was on clearance. I now have two interviews in relatively cold areas of the country (not like THIS cold), and I'm pretty sure it will get some use...

14 fewer inches of snow in Urbana without the lake effect!
This actually means a lot to someone who can run in the cold, but not necessarily the snow...

Also really excited to apply because of my CS background, but two concerns:
1. a friend in med school told me to never be a guinea pig. Program directors don't know anything about the schools and won't take the chance on you
2. a PD I met in person, joked with me about the quality of certain med schools, saying a student would really have to shine at a no-name school to get an interview
Will going to this school compared to a school with name-recognition adversely affect a student's chances of matching?

Two great enterprises that are joining to form what sounds like a very modern and innovative medical school. I'm so excited to see how the first year turns out!