Carle-Illinois College of Medicine LCME accredited and open to applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Two great enterprises that are joining to form what sounds like a very modern and innovative medical school. I'm so excited to see how the first year turns out!

I still find it strange that UIUC is splitting off their own school when the whole state has been under the UIC umbrella. I also wonder if they've had any trouble getting off the ground given the Bruce Rauner-related f-ckery of the last 2+ years in the state

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I still find it strange that UIUC is splitting off their own school when the whole state has been under the UIC umbrella. I also wonder if they've had any trouble getting off the ground given the Bruce Rauner-related f-ckery of the last 2+ years in the state
UIUC never had a huge role in the UIC medical school. If students are accepted there they either go to Chicago for four years, Peoria, or they go to Rockford or Urbana for one year before finishing in Peoria (it's kind of a weird system). So I get that UIUC's brand has a lot to do with the engineering school and I understand why they would want their own unique medical school. And I have absolutely no doubt that Rauner's budget tomfoolery did not help the process at all. It certainly hurt UIUC proper, as they've lost a lot of talented faculty since the budget crisis began.

Reactions: 1 users
Also really excited to apply because of my CS background, but two concerns:
1. a friend in med school told me to never be a guinea pig. Program directors don't know anything about the schools and won't take the chance on you

Your friend is ignorant. Every new allopathic school of the modern era (starting with FSU) has done perfectly fine in the match.

hubbsbubbs said:
2. a PD I met in person, joked with me about the quality of certain med schools, saying a student would really have to shine at a no-name school to get an interview
Will going to this school compared to a school with name-recognition adversely affect a student's chances of matching?

Carle-Illinois College of Medicine is a different beast. It is explicitly an engineering-based medical school, and will start with very small classes of highly specialized students that will likely head straight into exotic niche fields. This isn't business as usual.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Carle-Illinois College of Medicine is a different beast. It is explicitly an engineering-based medical school, and will start with very small classes of highly specialized students that will likely head straight into exotic niche fields. This isn't business as usual.

In theory at least...

Reactions: 2 users
I loved hearing of this today. I don't have the linear algebra, multivariable calculus, or DiffEQ they mention in the suggested courses. I will probably still apply because IS.

Reactions: 1 user
Also really excited to apply because of my CS background, but two concerns:
1. a friend in med school told me to never be a guinea pig. Program directors don't know anything about the schools and won't take the chance on you
2. a PD I met in person, joked with me about the quality of certain med schools, saying a student would really have to shine at a no-name school to get an interview
Will going to this school compared to a school with name-recognition adversely affect a student's chances of matching?
Besides Med Ed's input about these comments, here are related thoughts from a Residency Program Director, quoted from the new NOVA MD thread:
I was tagged to comment on how PD's see new MD schools. Obviously, there isn't a single answer, and new MD schools are relatively rare (although increasing in frequency). When Hofstra opened, I knew the people who ran it and didn't worry at all. If a school opens and I know nothing about it, that's a more difficult situation.

The basic sciences are easy. The USMLE is the great equalizer -- if you score well on that, you've learned the material, whether you attended HMS or HUMC (that's Hollywood Upstairs Medical College). The more challenging issue is the clinical years, and whether the school is affiliated with quality teaching hospitals and rotations.

Often new schools offer a full ride tuition scholarship to the first class, that way poaching some of the best applicants from other schools, to give their school the best chance of doing well.

A description of the nontraditional Secondary application now has a link from the website to a You Tube video at: Secondary Application – Carle Illinois College of Medicine

A) Minute 1.02: You will submit artifacts to your portfolio featuring your greatest accomplishments to date, to reflect your:

1) Compassion
2) Creativity
3) Curiosity
4) Competence

[Examples in each category are provided.]

B) Minute 2.47: Questions posed to you through the application platform will need a camera enabled phone, tablet, or laptop for response. A question will come up on the screen. You'll have a few seconds to reflect on the answer and after the camera turns on, may have two attempts to respond.

No interviews, but a series of regularly scheduled showcases and open houses to meet faculty and see the campus will be offered.

@gyngyn

I’m intrigued - I am wondering what is an “artifact” - I have a website of my design work, so creativity (and how I solved multiple issues during our renovation work) is not an issue. But what artifact shows compassion? Is this just something you discuss? Thank you so much for posting this - I’ll be thinking of it throughout the next two weeks while waiting for AMCAS to update

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

A description of the nontraditional Secondary application now has a link from the website to a You Tube video at: Secondary Application – Carle Illinois College of Medicine

No interviews, but a series of regularly scheduled showcases and open houses to meet faculty and see the campus will be offered.

@gyngyn

Anyone have thoughts on this? Their first open house is the 21st. Should someone going interpret this as "the interview" or do you think they will casually invite people after the secondary (not sure how that is different than an interview)?

Anyone have thoughts on this? Their first open house is the 21st. Should someone going interpret this as "the interview" or do you think they will casually invite people after the secondary (not sure how that is different than an interview)?

Sounds to me like there is no invitation necessary. Its an open house.

The more I read about this school, the more excited I get! I have always loved tech and have even mentioned something similar to their motto of the change in modern medicine through the technological advancements in my personal statement! I am very interested in applying due to my interdisciplinary background. Only things I did not pursue are advanced math courses...which I almost took ah dang, oh well.

Does anyone know how In-State Biased they will be? Also if they aren't doing interviews, how will they stratify those who get accepted/waitlisted/rejected? I guess they really are doing things differently. It seems like a perfect fit for me, but travelling a thousand miles and at least a couple hundred dollars for an open house seems like a stretch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how In-State Biased they will be? Also if they aren't doing interviews, how will they stratify those who get accepted/waitlisted/rejected? I guess they really are doing things differently. It seems like a perfect fit for me, but travelling a thousand miles and at least a couple hundred dollars for an open house seems like a stretch.

I was wondering the same. There's no way I'm taking time off from class to just see if it's a fit. I'll take the time to apply and put a lot of effort into the secondary. If they are interested in me I will move heaven and earth to visit, but I can't travel cross-country for an open house.

Wondering if I should apply
Does anyone know how In-State Biased they will be?
Word on the street a year ago was that the new med school would be a private school and would get no support from the state. At that time there was a link to a report on Wikipedia: ["Business Plan to Establish a New College of Medicine in Urbana-Champaign - Final Report" (PDF). Carle-Illinois College of Medicine.], but now the link is broken. If that is still true, though, there would be zero in-state bias. If anyone calls to ask, you might let us know here what you find out.

Any idea what kind of stats they would target? Only 32 students + free tuition would make it pretty competitive I would think. On the other hand, it is late in the cycle, not in an amazingly popular town, and new. I would tend to think they are targeting engineers with advanced degrees, but not sure.

I don't think that they have a minimum GPA, but their MCAT is targeting around 509, according to the website. Also, they're weighing MCAT/GPA at around 50% in the application, rather than 75% like most other medical schools.

Any opinions on the language they used when they say "suggested courses" ? Will all applicants really have to show competency in diff eq etc.? :bookworm:

I don't think that they have a minimum GPA, but their MCAT is targeting around 509, according to the website. Also, they're weighing MCAT/GPA at around 50% in the application, rather than 75% like most other medical schools.

509 is the average for matriculants right? I would guess free tuition will drive that up.

It's not in the amcas yet.
The website says November. I bet it shows up before then, though. (The reason being that original projections I heard for getting the LCME decision was late October.)
Carle Illinois College of Medicine is now available as an AMCAS selection under "Add Medical School."

Program *
Regular M.D. (Currently only U.S. citizens or permanent residents may be considered for admission) (Restricted)

Program Deadline
January 18, 2018

Transcript Deadline
February 1, 2018

Last edited:
Primary Submitted... Hoping for some love from here.

Do we know if they do a preliminary review prior to giving access to a portfolio and/or video response questions?
Not from official source, but it seems like they will do primary screen for the type of applicants they would like to have. Hopefully, If I pass their MCAT, GPA, courses, and experiences requirement, they would then send me the secondary application. Secondary application would ask us to mention the link to the portfolio stuff and would ask us for the secondary video response ( looks like virtual interview kindaa.).

Not from official source, but it seems like they will do primary screen for the type of applicants they would like to have. Hopefully, If I pass their MCAT, GPA, courses, and experiences requirement, they would then send me the secondary application. Secondary application would ask us to mention the link to the portfolio stuff and would ask us for the secondary video response ( looks like virtual interview kindaa.).

What is their MCAT/GPA requirement?

Just submitted my primary for Carle! super excited for this school.

Dean Li just did an interview with Dr. Gray on the Premed Years podcast. I haven’t listened to it yet, but anyone interested in the school might want to give it a listen.

The Premed Years | Medical School Headquarters | MCAT | AMCAS | Interviews by Meded Media on Apple Podcasts

Wow. I really like their take on education and the future of medicine. I’m hoping they are holistic in their reviews of primary applications - love the school, but my cGPA may hold me back. Thank goodness other engineers have low GPAs as well ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Everyone who submits a primary will get an invitation for a secondary. No prescreening (at least for this cycle)

Does anyone know what LOR requirements are?

4 LORs maximum (at least 3 maybe?), and they definitely want at least one nonacademic recommendation. No professor/academic recs necessary, although you can if you want to

4 LORs maximum (at least 3 maybe?), and they definitely want at least one nonacademic recommendation. No professor/academic recs necessary, although you can if you want to

Any idea on letter packets? It will take a while to get individual letters and my packet has 6.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

As someone who's tried to select a computer-savvy, coding-competent individual and received a surprising number of applicants for a leadership position in medical school, this is easier asked for than recruited. The standardized portion of the medical school admissions process does nothing to select for the kind of applicants this school wants to recruit in theory. They can suggest math courses all the way up to linear algebra if they want, but until they start looking at student's performances in their CS courses and testing specific skills in their internal admissions process (because LCME isn't there yet), they'll be getting the students who are the best at marketing their prior experiences in order to get into medical school. Who knows though, enough people may apply so they can truly set the bars high enough and find these people. I think it would be a better idea to recruit like they're doing, still provide the scholarships, but then make the education 5 years instead of 4 and have some sort of one-year education through the engineering school. That way you're recruiting people interested in learning these skills and actually teaching them. I'm skeptical because engineering and computer science are not jokes but pretty tough fields that require a great deal of learning. Everyone came into medical school with idealism about how medicine was about understanding and that they'd have time for all sorts of out of the box stuff and then the minutiae hit. I don't see how a school will emphasize engineering while doing everything any other medical school does in 4 years. I applaud the vision, medicine does need more individuals with these skills. I just question the methods being used here. I think this is better suited to be a lengthened track (5+ years) at an already established medical school than a brand-new thing.

Last edited:
Any idea on letter packets? It will take a while to get individual letters and my packet has 6.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm not sure, and I would call them to make sure, but I feel like a committee packet would be fine as long as it's still through the AMCAS. They might just look at the first four they see though.

As someone who's tried to select a computer-savvy, coding-competent individual and received a surprising number of applicants for a leadership position in medical school, this is easier asked for than recruited. The standardized portion of the medical school admissions process does nothing to select for the kind of applicants this school wants to recruit in theory. They can suggest math courses all the way up to linear algebra if they want, but until they start looking at student's performances in their CS courses and testing specific skills in their internal admissions process (because LCME isn't there yet), they'll be getting the students who are the best at marketing their prior experiences in order to get into medical school. Who knows though, enough people may apply so they can truly set the bars high enough and find these people. ...

I think their secondary application (which requires submitting projects and artifacts) is a start to recruiting the kind of students they'd like. I imagine that creativity and open-mindedness with respect to learning medicine is especially reflected in long-term work, and it this kind of secondary far outweighs the traditional essay-based secondary application.

Anyone get an email from them today that submitted primary over the weekend?

I have nothing from them. I'm interested in how this will go. I have no time to do a secondary right now, so I'm hoping they hold off a week.

Secondaries are hopefully coming out in November. Super excited to apply here!! :woot:

Does anyone know what LOR requirements are?

Now added to the website's FAQ:

What are the letters of recommendation requirements?
All applicants are required to submit letters of evaluation and recommendation through the AMCAS letter service; no outside letters or information will be accepted by the Office of Admissions. Prospective students may submit a maximum of 4 letters of evaluation. The following are acceptable:
  1. A premedical committee report or other composite letter of recommendation from the applicant’s primary college or university.
OR
  1. If the primary college or university does not have a premedical committee, at least 3 individual letters of recommendation on official letterhead: 2 from individual professors with whom the applicant has taken classes or participated in research (at least 1 in STEM-science, technology, engineering or mathematics) and 1 letter from a non-academic individual (e.g. an advisor, a supervisor from a work or volunteer experience).

Why do they want applicants to have computer programming experience?

Why do they want applicants to have computer programming experience?
Their curriculum is engineering based, from what I hear. Not sure how exactly that works though. Also not sure how that will benefit any students who want to go into traditional residency programs, since pretty much all residency programs are clinically based. The school is pushing the boundaries but post graduate training/opportunities are still the same traditional stuff. It'll be interesting to see.

Their curriculum is engineering based, from what I hear. Not sure how exactly that works though. Also not sure how that will benefit any students who want to go into traditional residency programs, since pretty much all residency programs are clinically based. The school is pushing the boundaries but post graduate training/opportunities are still the same traditional stuff. It'll be interesting to see.

Confusing isn't it? What does that even mean? Are they going to be asked to code a program for their small-group? How will that help anything? I can see how engineering can advance the practice of medicine and medicine is in desperate need of those with engineering expertise, but you still need to learn the medicine in medical school and programming won't help with that. In fact, it may be a hindrance because in my experience, people drawn to engineering are often burned out or dissatisfied with the pure memorization required in medicine. Like I said in the post above which was a tad harsh in retrospect, I love the intent, but don't really see the vision.

Confusing isn't it? What does that even mean? Are they going to be asked to code a program for their small-group? How will that help anything? I can see how engineering can advance the practice of medicine and medicine is in desperate need of those with engineering expertise, but you still need to learn the medicine in medical school and programming won't help with that. In fact, it may be a hindrance because in my experience, people drawn to engineering are often burned out or dissatisfied with the pure memorization required in medicine. Like I said in the post above which was a tad harsh in retrospect, I love the intent, but don't really see the vision.
My fantasy is that the curriculum somehow deemphasizes memorization and emphasizes ways of looking at healthcare that don't necessarily require coding directly (although bioinformatics of course does), but require the same kind of analytical thinking that makes for good coders. If there is a way to make the study of medicine more logic-based, my hope is that Carle Illinois is looking to figure that out and will let me in to participate. :)

My fantasy is that the curriculum somehow deemphasizes memorization and emphasizes ways of looking at healthcare that don't necessarily require coding directly (although bioinformatics of course does), but require the same kind of analytical thinking that makes for good coders. If there is a way to make the study of medicine more logic-based, my hope is that Carle Illinois is looking to figure that out and will let me in to participate. :)

Yeah, I don't think so...all the best though.

Yeah, I don't think so...all the best though.
Haha, "You're an idiot. Have a nice day though!"
#timesyouwishSDNwerenotanonymoussoyoudknowwhichdoctorstoavoid

I mean, its not like this is the only MD program that involves CS/engineering that's available. Harvard's HST MD program is also heavily engineering-based, including requiring graduate engineering courses as medical degree coursework and having almost identical requirements to Carle Illinois (including Diff Eq and Lin Alg), and has been extremely successful. Stanford's MD program also allows you to do the same if you choose bioengineering or data informatics AOCs. Both of these MD programs can be completed in 4 years too. I don't really see how the inclusion of what looks like research-driven medical engineering projects as part of the curriculum at Carle Illinois is honestly any different from the large number of MD programs that now have a research thesis requirement (which includes both of the above), and i've never heard anyone argue that this inclusion actually somehow hindered learning medicine. As far as I can tell they aren't planning to teach you programming either so i'm not sure why this even is an issue, but rather are strongly recommending it due to how essential it is if you plan to work in bioengineering-centric medical research that they likely expect many incoming students will do.

Its a niche and won't be for everyone, but its also a niche that still caters to a sizable amount of people. For example, I can't imagine anyone who plans to have research remain a key part of their medical career and is interested in working in any of the many medical research fields that lean heavily on engineering/CS would be anything but very well served by this program. Maybe i'll be one of those people with a background in engineering that you think will end up being burnt out by medicine (I did a dual degree in CompSci and Neurobiology UG and spent my entire degree working in cross-disciplinary medical research rooted in CS and engineering), but the program they're offering, like the two MD programs above (both of which I've been lucky to receive IIs for) honestly appeals to me way more strongly than "typical" MD programs, and i'll definitely be applying.

I mean, its not like this is the only MD program that involves CS/engineering that's available. Harvard's HST MD program is also heavily engineering-based, including requiring graduate engineering courses as medical degree coursework and having almost identical requirements to Carle Illinois (including Diff Eq and Lin Alg), and has been extremely successful. Stanford's MD program also allows you to do the same if you choose bioengineering or data informatics AOCs. Both of these MD programs can be completed in 4 years too. I don't really see how the inclusion of what looks like research-driven medical engineering projects as part of the curriculum at Carle Illinois is honestly any different from the large number of MD programs that now have a research thesis requirement (which includes both of the above), and i've never heard anyone argue that this inclusion actually somehow hindered learning medicine. As far as I can tell they aren't planning to teach you programming either so i'm not sure why this even is an issue, but rather are strongly recommending it due to how essential it is if you plan to work in bioengineering-centric medical research that they likely expect many incoming students will do.

Its a niche and won't be for everyone, but its also a niche that still caters to a sizable amount of people. For example, I can't imagine anyone who plans to have research remain a key part of their medical career and is interested in working in any of the many medical research fields that lean heavily on engineering/CS would be anything but very well served by this program. Maybe i'll be one of those people with a background in engineering that you think will end up being burnt out by medicine (I did a dual degree in CompSci and Neurobiology UG and spent my entire degree working in cross-disciplinary medical research rooted in CS and engineering), but the program they're offering, like the two MD programs above (both of which I've been lucky to receive IIs for) honestly appeals to me way more strongly than "typical" MD programs, and i'll definitely be applying.

First of all, impressive credentials. I wish I had a stronger background myself in CompSci. Somewhere up there, I advocated for it being a track as opposed to an entire class. I can see how it can be a track but to recruit 32 individuals and have enough resources to mentor them through all of this seems like a lot. Also, working on these sorts of projects will not facilitate or go hand-in-hand with the learning of medical material so I'm really doubting the term "engineering-based curriculum" if that's what this truly is. You compared this to research, but then there are tracks for that and those require quite a few years outside of medical school. I just read about the HST program and while the MD program is 4 years, what about the time it'll take to earn that PhD they're talking about. That's hardly the same as a program that is looking to have medical students take on some substantial scholarly programming work in addition to their normal responsibilities. I mentioned teaching programming because I don't know how they're going to screen for all the competencies (MatLab, C++, R, etc. proficiency). I have friends in software engineering and while they describe their jobs as chill, they also admit that if you're incompetent, you'll be fired quickly and these skills aren't necessarily something you can pick up on the fly which necessitates interviews that test very specific coding problem solving-skills. Unless they perfectly recruit students, then there's going to have to be some teaching involved, in addition to the 4 years of medical curriculum. This is all just my opinion and I don't have a strong background in all of this so maybe I'm missing something. Also, sorry if I voiced my opinions strongly, congratulations on your two interviews, and best of luck moving forward. I really do hope you succeed and am very jealous.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
First of all, impressive credentials. I wish I had a stronger background myself in CompSci. Somewhere up there, I advocated for it being a track as opposed to an entire class. I can see how it can be a track but to recruit 32 individuals and have enough resources to mentor them through all of this seems like a lot. Also, working on these sorts of projects will not facilitate or go hand-in-hand with the learning of medical material so I'm really doubting the term "engineering-based curriculum" if that's what this truly is. You compared this to research, but then there are tracks for that and those require quite a few years outside of medical school. I just read about the HST program and while the MD program is 4 years, what about the time it'll take to earn that PhD they're talking about. That's hardly the same as a program that is looking to have medical students take on some substantial scholarly programming work in addition to their normal responsibilities. I mentioned teaching programming because I don't know how they're going to screen for all the competencies (MatLab, C++, R, etc. proficiency). I have friends in software engineering and while they describe their jobs as chill, they also admit that if you're incompetent, you'll be fired quickly and these skills aren't necessarily something you can pick up on the fly which necessitates interviews that test very specific coding problem solving-skills. Unless they perfectly recruit students, then there's going to have to be some teaching involved, in addition to the 4 years of medical curriculum. This is all just my opinion and I don't have a strong background in all of this so maybe I'm missing something. Also, sorry if I voiced my opinions strongly, congratulations on your two interviews, and best of luck moving forward. I really do hope you succeed and am very jealous.

Thanks for the congratulations. Harvard's HST MD track isn't a MSTP program and doesn't give you a PhD, it confers only an MD and is traditionally four years, just like all other MD programs. As with most other research-centric MD programs, a decent number of people opt to pursue a PhD as well (7-8 years total) but this is separate and was not what I applied for (I applied exclusively to MD-only programs). Completing the four-year MD program without a PhD still requires writing a thesis and doing substantial research as part of the curriculum itself.

I wasn't comparing the Carle Illinois program to 7-8 year MSTP MD/PhD programs, but to the large number of 4-year MD programs that have a mandatory research thesis requirement (such as Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Columbia, Duke, and countless others). In all these programs, the required research component makes up a substantial part of the medical education and is undertaken in addition to normal responsibilities as part of the 4-year MD. In many of them, you can essentially do the same type of engineering-centric research projects that Carle Illinois chooses to focus on too, yet no one seems to see this as out of the ordinary. The only real difference appears to be Carle Illinois' focus specifically on CS/Engineering-based projects rather than it only forming one of the research options you can choose during your MD, which makes sense given their affiliation with one of the best CS/Engineering schools in the country (UIUC). For comparison, here's Duke's MD curriculum (where an entire year in the 4-year program is blocked out for research), and here's Stanford's MD curriculum, where substantial research is expected to be performed continuously through all four years (alongside requiring considerable coursework in engineering if you choose bioengineering as your concentration). Both include options to do work identical to what Carle Illinois chooses to focus on, as do many others.

I don't think screening is going to be that big of an issue. After all, you're have to show them directly on your application that you've worked extensively on CS/engineering-centric projects (and likely, they'll probably look for students who have degrees in engineering or CS too). Their requirements page specifically lists "programming" under "suggested experience" rather than a hard requirement, likely because its an inherent part of coming from the type of background that they're looking for. Like the other MD programs that involve CS/engineering, the program doesn't seem to be going after pre-meds with no experience in CS/engineering and training them in CS/engineering, but rather seeking pre-meds who already have a strong background in CS/Engineering like several other programs do. Even if its a less popular option than the typical bio/chem major choice, this isn't a group that doesn't exist - I mean, i'm one of them, and so are many of the other people who have posted in this thread. It's not like we didn't have to do OChem, Bio, Chem and everything else either - we sat the MCAT and took all the standard pre-reqs like everyone else, its just that what we focused on during our degree (and likewise, the research we opted to undertake) was different.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Well, this is perfect. I'm just about to start my CS major pre-med journey in January. By the time I'm applying, this school will have a couple of years under its belt. Reading about Carle has been like reading a med school's version of everything I've been thinking. I'll definitely be watching this thread to hear how others' experiences go.