The Off Topic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So where else in MD would you two recommend for pretty scenic photo shoots?
The only place I've been to in Maryland is Baltimore, and the most beautiful thing there (in my mind) is the Johns Hopkins Hospital. :love:

...A classic case of beauty being (firmly!) in the eye of the beholder.

Members don't see this ad.

I love Cadbury eggs!
You just reminded me of home. Cadbury is one of my country's major makers of cocoa products. The other is Nestle.

At the time of this writing, I'm about to devour a ham sandwich and two Quaker Oats Chocolate Chip Granola bars. Washed down with water, of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
cadbury creme eggs are the awesome!

Western MD, near Oakland and Wisp Ski Resort, in the mountains. :) There's also a scenic stop-off not far after I-68W begins.

Jesus H Christ. Just go all the way to WV. Nature, trees, creeks and other boring **** by the barrel load. Hell, Cooper's Rock is right off of the interstate.

I think I'm off the weekend after. I dunno, I'll have to look. You should just go into Balmer. Get some of that urban decay. That's some good stuff there. Each picture would tell a thousand stories. What the hell does a tree tell you?

Tree won't try to hold me up or shoot me after I take its picture.

No, but seriously, it takes a certain kind of person to shoot street photography...I just don't have the chutzpah to do it in a city I'm not all that familiar with. Although you're right...it can be far more powerful work.

So...would I need chains on the 'stang if I drove to your neck of the woods this time of year?

Tree won't try to hold me up or shoot me after I take its picture.

Takes a certain kind of person to shoot street photography...I just don't have the chutzpah to do it in a city I'm not all that familiar with. Although you're right...it can be far more powerful work.

So...would I need chains on the 'stang if I drove to your neck of the woods this time of year?

Getting to and 'fro Morgantown is all interstate/city driving. Out in the sticks might be dicey. Chains would be overkill in most situations. And if it does get that bad, those chains wouldn't help you. Just park aforementioned mustang and I'll cart you around in the Taurus. It laughs at snow.

And if you want Urban decay in a small town, check out Uniontown, PA or Brownsville, PA...old steel towns...now dead. It's kinda creepy, really. Especially Brownsville. It's almost a ghost town.

Members don't see this ad :)
So where else in MD would you two recommend for pretty scenic photo shoots?

Eastern Shore is good---St. Michaels, Tilghman Island, Chestertown, Rock Hall

Western Shore-Annapolis, B-More (Federal Hill, Inner Harbor, Fells Point, Canton, Pigtown...the usual places), Baltimore County, northern part of Harford County, etc.

Yep, we get Africa hot by the middle of May...

Why of course!

You didn't hear?

In addition to all the stupid PCI work you have to do, CVS has decided that it would be best for all pharmacists to perform *insert sexual favor here* on customers if they're not completely satisfied with their service.

Just another way CVS takes care of their patients----one at a time.

zyvox is annoying
It's intentional, unfortunately.

I'm resting up for the big parade tomorrow. I live just very close to the parade route, so I can't go anywhere in the car tomorrow. My street will be packed with tourists and pedestrians, and since very few people have off-street parking, we all have to stay put (minus traveling by foot).

People are camping out tonight along the street car lines to watch the parade tomorrow night. I think they're crazy... :p The weather is too cold and windy to attempt a stunt like that.

I'll try to keep y'all updated (and off-topic ;))...

He's just so yesterday!
??? Old, yes. :D Out-of-date, no. :) Unfashionable, I can't say. :confused:

In general, I think "internet personas" play a role- where the real-life person may be much more enjoyable, tolerable, likable, etc. to certain people. (I'll confess... it's a topic that interests me, i.e. how you are in real-life versus how you manifest yourself in a structured environment around people that you would not tend to associate with outside of those environments.)
I would think that a lot of people have different "personas" depending on where they are, and they're behavior tends to changes in those environments. I think that happens at work, too.

Ha!

No multiple personalities here!

I pride myself on my trollish, in-your-face attitude.

:smuggrin:

:love:

loo

In general, I think "internet personas" play a role- where the real-life person may be much more enjoyable, tolerable, likable, etc. to certain people. (I'll confess... it's a topic that interests me, i.e. how you are in real-life versus how you manifest yourself in a structured environment around people that you would not tend to associate with outside of those environments.)
I would think that a lot of people have different "personas" depending on where they are, and they're behavior tends to changes in those environments. I think that happens at work, too.

I'm really a Julie Andrews meets Nathan Lane in real life.

Nathan_Lane-710304.jpg

I replaced a water heater in my attic yesterday by myself. It was not easy or fun.

That is so amazing!!! How did you drain the old water heater? Is it still up there? Was the old heater difficult to remove? Did you do it by yourself?
I am trying to work up the nerve to remove a useless bulkhead over the toilet in an upstairs bathroom. It currently serves no purpose I am aware of, except to cause tall people to hit their head when they use the toilet. It was in this old house when we bought it, and it's just the right size for a dead body. I'm worried about what might fall out. So far, the only dead things I've unearthed in the house are mice, snakes and rats. That's about as high up on the food chain as I'd like to go.

Ha!

No multiple personalities here!

I pride myself on my trollish, in-your-face attitude.

:love:

loo
Love and hate within the same post... hmmm... I'm not convinced. ;)

I'm really a Julie Andrews meets Nathan Lane in real life.

Nathan_Lane-710304.jpg

Wait! I thought you were a koala bear? Now I'm just confused! :p
Yeah....because I don't want to get FIRED...:rolleyes:
I thought there was a hiring freeze at your hospital? Perhaps you can loosen up your belt a little since they wouldn't fire you for less than a drug cartel and... live a little... or at least don't suck up to management (and then turn around and talk smack about them once they leave the room) like so many people that I know or have worked with.

The parade yesterday was great! It was basically a huge street party with a convenient bathroom, which happened to be in my own home.
Here's a quick breakdown:

• we went to two parties that our friends were having
  • met a pharmacist at the party who I really enjoyed talking to and hope will be my preceptor once rotations start
  • between the two parties, they served traditional bbq food, gumbo, king cake, and sweet potatoes boiled in a seasoned pot of crawfish boil
  • we stood on ladders to catch parade throws
  • caught more beads, cups, and glow necklaces
  • some of the cups have a Kid Rock cartoon drawing on them (he was the Grand Marshal), which is funny
  • went back to one of the parties after the parade and hung out there until midnight or so

Today, I cooked crawfish pies, stuffed crabs, hushpuppies, breaded okra, and steamed broccoli for lunch. We plan on attending the Bacchus parade later tonight. I can't wait to see Val Kilmer (who is the parade's Grand Marshal)! I'll try to keep my jaw from falling all the way to the floor when he rolls by, but I can't guarantee that. :D

Call me ignorant, but what's up with all the parades? Remember, I'm not American, so what may be obvious to many is usually not as obvious to me.

The only place I've been to in Maryland is Baltimore, and the most beautiful thing there (in my mind) is the Johns Hopkins Hospital. :love:

...A classic case of beauty being (firmly!) in the eye of the beholder.

Oh why did you have to say that? I just had a phone interview for an internship and completely blew it :(!!!!!

Thanks for making me feel better.

Wait! I thought you were a koala bear? Now I'm just confused! :p
I thought there was a hiring freeze at your hospital? Perhaps you can loosen up your belt a little since they wouldn't fire you for less than a drug cartel and... live a little... or at least don't suck up to management (and then turn around and talk smack about them once they leave the room) like so many people that I know or have worked with.

Yeah. I could just be myself. Let's walk up to the elder nephrologist with 30 years at the hospital and tell him he's a damned idiot. No, I think I'll just tell him that he was mistaken on an issue. :rolleyes:

Yeah. I could just be myself. Let's walk up to the elder nephrologist with 30 years at the hospital and tell him he's a damned idiot. No, I think I'll just tell him that he was mistaken on an issue. :rolleyes:
Your point would be the same, i.e. the guy is wrong, and you told him that. I think there's a difference between getting a point across and being an ***hole for the sake of being one.
There's nothing wrong with courtesy. As long as you say what you mean and are decent in how you say it, then all is good.

Mardi Gras parades are traditional and part of the overall festivities before Ash Wednesday and Lent. They gone on for a few weeks before and on Fat Tuesday, and the festivities finish up in the French Quarter on Fat Tuesday until midnight, whenever they tell everybody to go home so that they can clean the narrow, centuries-old streets.

It seems as though that I have been having more fun each year at the parades. Perhaps it's an assimilation effect. I don't really know though...

That is so amazing!!! How did you drain the old water heater? Is it still up there? Was the old heater difficult to remove? Did you do it by yourself?
I am trying to work up the nerve to remove a useless bulkhead over the toilet in an upstairs bathroom. It currently serves no purpose I am aware of, except to cause tall people to hit their head when they use the toilet. It was in this old house when we bought it, and it's just the right size for a dead body. I'm worried about what might fall out. So far, the only dead things I've unearthed in the house are mice, snakes and rats. That's about as high up on the food chain as I'd like to go.

Yep did it all by myself! Draining it was easy. In fact you should partially drain your water heater at least twice a year to remove sediment build up. That and replacing the sacrificial anode every couple years and your water heater should last forever. Anyway to drain it I hooked a garden hose up to the spigot on the bottom and ran the hose to the bathtub. To get it down I just picked it up and muscled it down the little wooded stairs and then used a dolly to get it down stairs. Replacing a water heater is easy...as long as it is not up in the attic! Getting the new one up the little stairs was quite a challenge.

Attic? Shouldn't that be in a closet or utility room?

I know right!!! Here in Texas they put the water heater in the attic. I remember when we were looking at this house I remarked on the water heater in the attic. I believe I said something to the effect of "boy I hope we never have to replace that!"

I know right!!! Here in Texas they put the water heater in the attic. I remember when we were looking at this house I remarked on the water heater in the attic. I believe I said something to the effect of "boy I hope we never have to replace that!"
my water heater is in the basement...but then again, San Antonio is civilized...

Oh why did you have to say that? I just had a phone interview for an internship and completely blew it :(!!!!!

You're welcome. :smuggrin:

...But seriously, I hope you get your internship.

Mardi Gras parades are traditional and part of the overall festivities before Ash Wednesday and Lent. They gone on for a few weeks before and on Fat Tuesday, and the festivities finish up in the French Quarter on Fat Tuesday until midnight, whenever they tell everybody to go home so that they can clean the narrow, centuries-old streets.

It seems as though that I have been having more fun each year at the parades. Perhaps it's an assimilation effect. I don't really know though...
First of all, I really didn't know that. Thanks.

And now I have to ask, why on earth is it called Fat Tuesday? I was Anglican as a child, and I don't think that comes from the church calendar.

First of all, I really didn't know that. Thanks.

And now I have to ask, why on earth is it called Fat Tuesday? I was Anglican as a child, and I don't think that comes from the church calendar.

It's the last day before Lent, when Catholics would traditionally fast (and be generally reserved) for the next 40 days.

Yep did it all by myself! Draining it was easy. In fact you should partially drain your water heater at least twice a year to remove sediment build up. That and replacing the sacrificial anode every couple years and your water heater should last forever. Anyway to drain it I hooked a garden hose up to the spigot on the bottom and ran the hose to the bathtub. To get it down I just picked it up and muscled it down the little wooded stairs and then used a dolly to get it down stairs. Replacing a water heater is easy...as long as it is not up in the attic! Getting the new one up the little stairs was quite a challenge.

I have 2 water heaters in a walk in closet behind a walk in closet in the guest bedroom but not in the attic. :thumbup:

just remember that Hopkins is in the ghettoest of all ghettos. Like worry about getting mugged between the hospital and the garage ghetto.

I love Baltimore, and would never live anywhere near that hospital.

just remember that Hopkins is in the ghettoest of all ghettos. Like worry about getting mugged between the hospital and the garage ghetto.

I love Baltimore, and would never live anywhere near that hospital.

Gunter's near the airport serves the best Maryland Crabs! :thumbup:

Gunter's near the airport serves the best Maryland Crabs! :thumbup:

Lexington Market, not even a block from UMMC has AMAZING crab cakes.

I have an "Eat Bertha's Mussels" bumper sticker on the 'Ella.

Moving into an apartment for the first time ever...I thought I'd have unlimited hot water, like in a hotel. So not the case...I think the small tank is behind that door.

dsc00843.jpg