The Off Topic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I forgot which was larger..I'll look tomorrow.

I just have to know!!! Which is larger?

Members don't see this ad.

I started this thread in the pre-pharmacy forum. I knew Obama will one day save the pharmacy profession!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7790459#post7790459

Not good news if you are planning to attend a pharmacy school that can't get federal student loans:

"President Obama's proposal for direct government funding of student loans -- cutting out private industry -- sent shares of Sallie Mae, Student Loan Corp., Nelnet Inc. and other college loan companies plunging Thursday.

For-profit vocational schools, such as Corinthian Colleges Inc., DeVry Inc. and ITT Educational Services Inc., also saw their stock prices drop. Their students often rely on government-backed loans from private lenders."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,7448026.story

I started this thread in the pre-pharmacy forum. I knew Obama will one day save the pharmacy profession!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7790459#post7790459

Not good news if you are planning to attend a pharmacy school that can't get federal student loans:

"President Obama's proposal for direct government funding of student loans -- cutting out private industry -- sent shares of Sallie Mae, Student Loan Corp., Nelnet Inc. and other college loan companies plunging Thursday.

For-profit vocational schools, such as Corinthian Colleges Inc., DeVry Inc. and ITT Educational Services Inc., also saw their stock prices drop. Their students often rely on government-backed loans from private lenders."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,7448026.story

link don't work... but from your short excerpt...

How is this saving pharmacy? It could mean that all the pre-accredited school now get federal loan, so even more new pharmacy schools might form since financial aid isn't a problem. The only way it will benefit pharmacy is that only established school with other accredited programs will be able to form a pharmacy school and lessen formation of new schools. This might screw those who are going to USN though.

Members don't see this ad :)
link don't work... but from your short excerpt...

How is this saving pharmacy? It could mean that all the pre-accredited school now get federal loan, so even more new pharmacy schools might form since financial aid isn't a problem.

That's not how it works. Federal loan is only given out to students who attend a school with regional accreditation such as WASC in the west coast (this is different from ACPE accreditation). So these students need to get a loan at a high rate from a private lender. If these private lenders have trouble getting credit or do not make as much of a profit to lend to these students, then these students would have a hard time getting a loan. It may very well slow down new pharmacy schools that not associated with a well established university since they don't have regional accreditation.

That's not how it works. Federal loan is only given out to students who attend a school with regional accreditation such as WASC in the west coast (this is different from ACPE accreditation). So these students need to get a loan at a high rate from a private lender. If these private lenders have trouble getting credit or do not make as much of a profit to lend to these students, then these students would have a hard time getting a loan. It may very well slow down new pharmacy schools that not associated with a well established university since they don't have regional accreditation.

Bingo, hit it right on the head.:thumbup:

Off-topic, you say? OK, then. I got home today and saw some random jerk parked his gold-metallic Honda in my spot! That's the garage spot I pay every month for, thank you very much... first time it happened, too, in almost two years. The super said he can't tow it because his tow truck wouldn't fit under garage door, but he promised that if the sorry ass doesn't get lost tomorrow, he will get someone to tow it. For now I am parked in the building management spot... But hell am I irritated...

If you are mean, you could "accidentally" scratch that person's car, but that would be really mean. How big could the tow truck be to need someone else to tow a car out?

Off-topic, you say? OK, then. I got home today and saw some random jerk parked his gold-metallic Honda in my spot! That's the garage spot I pay every month for, thank you very much... first time it happened, too, in almost two years. The super said he can't tow it because his tow truck wouldn't fit under garage door, but he promised that if the sorry ass doesn't get lost tomorrow, he will get someone to tow it. For now I am parked in the building management spot... But hell am I irritated...

Hell its a honda, get 5-6 guys and drag the thing into another spot. My friend had a 89 civic in high school, as a prank we moved it into the teachers parking lot and he got chewed out bad :smuggrin:

If you are mean, you could "accidentally" scratch that person's car, but that would be really mean. How big could the tow truck be to need someone else to tow a car out?
If they are still there tomorrow, then I will spray paint it with the words "I am a loser who parks illegally" on both windowshield and the back window. If I feel exceptionally mean, I will do it with permanent marker instead. It looks new, so must be leased... it has Rutgers student parking permit on the window.

Hell its a honda, get 5-6 guys and drag the thing into another spot. My friend had a 89 civic in high school, as a prank we moved it into the teachers parking lot and he got chewed out bad :smuggrin:
And where am I a going to get those 5-6 guys? It's not a college campus. :D Besides, I almost debating what I want to see more - my spot freed up by the time I return from the post office, or them still here so I can have the pleasure of them being towed and having to pay up a few hundred bucks to the impound lot.

If they are still there tomorrow, then I will spray paint it with the words "I am a loser who parks illegally" on both windowshield and the back window. If I feel exceptionally mean, I will do it with permanent marker instead. It looks new, so must be leased... it has Rutgers student parking permit on the window.

And where am I a going to get those 5-6 guys? It's not a college campus. :D Besides, I almost debating what I want to see more - my spot freed up by the time I return from the post office, or them still here so I can have the pleasure of them being towed and having to pay up a few hundred bucks to the impound lot.

Certainly you can wave down 5 to 6 guys..couldn't you? Actually I recall 4 of us moving an old Honda Civic years ago..

Then again, you do anything to that car, it's not like it'll be that difficult for the car owner to figure out who did it... :smuggrin:

Tolerance is your friend..

Certainly you can wave down 5 to 6 guys..couldn't you?
Depending on what state of undress I would be in, even more. :D

Then again, you do anything to that car, it's not like it'll be that difficult for the car owner to figure out who did it... :smuggrin:
That's the only thing that has stopped me from slashing his tires so far. :D

But the signs about towing are plastered all other, so that would be perfectly fine, and no less satisfying.

EDIT: They were already gone when I came out this morning. Oh well, I guess peace is better. :D

Last edited:
...oh hey wow a red bike will you look at that!

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 354
Isn't it kinda odd that epinephrine inhalation aerosols are OTC, but albuterol inhalation aerosols are prescription only. (Says the guy who had an asthma attack at Dave & Buster's tonight with his albuterol 60 miles away...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous.

One time at my store we had a guy in line who needed his albuterol MDI but didn't have any refills. He asked what was OTC and we pointed him to the epinephrine stuff but warned him it was ****. Well he goes to grab it, brings it to the register, and right as I'm about to ring it up the next person in line says:

"No, I'm sorry, I can't let you use that stuff, it's garbage. I'm a physician, I'll refill your albuterol."

Pretty lol.

One time at my store we had a guy in line who needed his albuterol MDI but didn't have any refills. He asked what was OTC and we pointed him to the epinephrine stuff but warned him it was ****. Well he goes to grab it, brings it to the register, and right as I'm about to ring it up the next person in line says:

"No, I'm sorry, I can't let you use that stuff, it's garbage. I'm a physician, I'll refill your albuterol."

Pretty lol.

Honestly? I thought it worked better than albuterol. Usually I need two puffs over 2 minutes when my lungs get tight...one puff of epi and my lungs were clear within seconds. I was actually impressed. Sure, it's all subjective and perhaps this attack was easier to break with beta agonism...but to hell if it didn't work better in this case. Plus, they put alcohol in it so you can feel it burn in your lungs allowing you to feel how disbursed it is...which is a bizarre sensation. I didn't notice my heart rate go up either. Though I can appreciate how stupid inhaling a non-seletive beta agonist is...I'm not going to use it again. Not worth the risk.

Yeah true story, I guess the MD just didn't want to see the guy get tachycardic or hypotensive? :shrug:

Guess it's a good thing you had access to one. Pretty silly that you as a PharmD can't walk into a pharmacy and get your own personal abluterol refilled...

Honestly? I thought it worked better than albuterol. Usually I need two puffs over 2 minutes when my lungs get tight...one puff of epi and my lungs were clear within seconds. I was actually impressed.

I also thought Primatene Mist is a decent inhaler especially if you don't have an albuterol. It is an alpha-beta agonist. In theory, there would be more side effect since it also has alpha agonist property but research shows that is not the case.

The problem with Primatene Mist is that it only lasts an hour and patients who use it regularly, they may develop tolerance to Primatene. The tablet formulation takes an hour to work so maybe that's why people think Primatene doesn't work well?

One time at my store we had a guy in line who needed his albuterol MDI but didn't have any refills. He asked what was OTC and we pointed him to the epinephrine stuff but warned him it was ****

I never understood why pharmacists refuse to give albuterol to the patient while wait for the physician to approve the refill. They have the full authority to do so. Just because they can't give a partial fill for albuterol to the patient, they would rather have the patient go to the ER.

Another interesting note - I had to go to 4 places before I could find one. I was about to go to an ED just so I could get an inhaler (maybe I should have...my insurance has $0 copay for ED visits...) Everyone was sold out. Walgreens, Rite Aid, and Target. The only place that had it was at the Giant Eagle grocery store...and they only had one left. Clearly, people use the stuff.

I never understood why pharmacists refuse to give albuterol to the patient while wait for the physician to approve the refill. They have the full authority to do so. Just because they can't give a partial fill for albuterol to the patient, they would rather have the patient go to the ER.
That's something that I think unfortunately is a big ego trip for a lot of pharmacists. They hide behind "I'm gonna lose my license" but I've known quite a few who just love saying no to patients. Kind of sad.

WVU if you had gone to the ED it would have taken you hours to get an inhaler. Although they may have given you a neb treatment there I guess.

I don't care for the new HFA formulation of the albuterol inhalers. I'm about ready to ask my doctor to prescribe neb treatments, but that still doesn't help me when I'm out at work or school and don't have access to them.

The old cfc formulation seemed to work relatively quickly, while the new HFA formulation seems to take "more" to do the same job. I only need to use an inhaler from fall to spring, so this is my first year having to do the "switch". It's not a wonder so many patients seem to burn through their MDI's pretty quick.

meister, that's a pretty good story. I guess the guy was just lucky to have a doctor in line behind him.

Yeah he was, although if you ask me my pharmacist should have just pre-filled his albuterol MDI and gotten authorization later.

I was wondering the same thing. I never thought I'd see them play on Late Night.

Wouldn't you already know how to deal with it, though? Also, let's stay as far away from each other as possible. I hope you get better sooner than later.

I want to reach out and strangle some of my patients at the Walgreen I work. White trash neighborhood, suck up my tax dollar and feel entitled to it. I went from taking this job thinking it's good to help these people to want to ring their HIV infested neck in a year. Just wanted to vent. Thank god for hospital internship to keep me loving the profession.

Sorry, just had to vent after work.

Isn't it kinda odd that epinephrine inhalation aerosols are OTC, but albuterol inhalation aerosols are prescription only. (Says the guy who had an asthma attack at Dave & Buster's tonight with his albuterol 60 miles away...)

you sure like dave and busters. :thumbup:

pink eye is so gross. I hate it. :(

I had the gnarliest cold 1st year. And ended up with a bacterial conjunctivitis in both eyes. It was so. gross.

I hate working overnight shifts...at least I get tomorrow off!

I dunno... Kenji seems to be an obsessive lover.

Last edited:
It is expensive but when you only buy a nice pair every 5 yrs then it is not too bad.

I'm becoming more and more conflicted....

Should I:

A) Get an MBA and become the director at Priapism321's hospital some day, and, thus, his boss.
B) Stay where I am as we were told that we'd go on the floors this next decade and I've "called" the ED (everyone else is afraid of it)...which is pretty much the only cool thing I'd imagine doing as a hospital pharmacist.
C) Go do a fellowship in translational medicine...which is probably what I'd be the best at.

Oh, to be young and with options...

Last edited:
I'm becoming more and more conflicted....

Should I:

A) Get an MBA and become the director at Priapism hospital some day, and, thus, his boss.
B) Stay where I am as we were told that we'd go on the floors this next decade and I've "called" the ED (everyone else is afraid of it)...which is pretty much the only cool thing I'd imagine doing as a hospital pharmacist.
C) Go do a fellowship in translational medicine...which is probably what I'd be the best at.

Oh, to be young and with options...

I'm considering an MBA. It just seems like a great augmenting degree to pharmacy, and can open so many door in both retail and hospital setting.

Do the part time evening route, and it won't conflict with option (B). Hey, your employer might even reimburse your tuition. :cool:

I hate children.

I'm at the trailer park hoop shooting some hoops. Been there for about 2 minutes. Then these 2 moms roll up to the court with their damned kids. I do a little dribble drive to the hoop. This little punk loses the ball he was playing with and it runs underneath of me causing me to trip. The kid begins laughing. The mothers, who didn't see the ball tripping me, then look at the kid and say "isn't he cute."

I hate children.

I ask them when they are going to leave because I don't like shoot hoops around children. Surprisingly, I was being nice. They get all judgmental and ACTUALLY say "You hate kids now but when you're older and get married, you'll want kids."

I'd bet my eyes started twitching and veins started popping in my neck.

I asked the dumb bitch how old she was. "Twenty-four." I'm like, "Woman (yes, I actually addressed her as woman), I'm older than you, married, and your brat of a kid just tried to kill me. Go to hell." I got in my car and left to go to the hoops near the college.

I hate children. To this moment I have no idea why people want them. But for the love of God, if you have them, don't expect me to think they are cute/wonderful/something worthy of smiling at. They just annoy me. Their shrill little voices and incessant whining dig into me like a scalpel shot out of a cannon. They are useless to me and society until they become taxpayers.

Nothing says "I'm a pretentious biotch" like a pair of those oversized sunglasses that chicks wear.

When will ebola go airborne?

Nothing says "I'm a pretentious biotch" like a pair of those oversized sunglasses that chicks wear.

I know, those are ugly. They just scream, "HEY! I have HERPES!"

Well, not literally...but the girls I see wearing them look like bimbo sluts with (insert STI here).