The Off Topic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sunday March 15, 2009 8:16 pm

Beware the Ides of March! :eek:

Today is Friday the 13th, tomorrow is Pi Day (3/14...go do something irrational!), and Sunday is the Ides of March. I'm staying in this weekend. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Beware the Ides of March! :eek:

Today is Friday the 13th, tomorrow is Pi Day (3/14...go do something irrational!), and Sunday is the Ides of March. I'm staying in this weekend. :p
Ah dang it, and I have to drive Sunday. :(

The wife went on her first job interview today.

This joint doesn't do 403b plans...they offer a straight pension. Interesting. Like a gov't job.

And - this is awesome - they are still doing loan reimbursement. $500 on the paycheck each month while she's working for them and still has a balance on the loans. That's pretty freakin' awesome. Looked around today at houses in between my hospital and her hospital. Found one built in 2005...3 BR/3BA...pool...2500 sq ft...$189k. And the best part? 30 minutes from Dave & Buster's. God I love the Rust Belt and it's depressing atmosphere that nobody wants to be around...

I know for a fact that they are still looking for another RPh...don't pay as much as other areas, but low cost of living and loan repayment makes up for it. If anyone is willing to move...

Members don't see this ad :)
The wife went on her first job interview today.

This joint doesn't do 403b plans...they offer a straight pension. Interesting. Like a gov't job.

And - this is awesome - they are still doing loan reimbursement. $500 on the paycheck each month while she's working for them and still has a balance on the loans. That's pretty freakin' awesome. Looked around today at houses in between my hospital and her hospital. Found one built in 2005...3 BR/3BA...pool...2500 sq ft...$189k. And the best part? 30 minutes from Dave & Buster's. God I love the Rust Belt and it's depressing atmosphere that nobody wants to be around...

I know for a fact that they are still looking for another RPh...don't pay as much as other areas, but low cost of living and loan repayment makes up for it. If anyone is willing to move...

Pool eh?? Well..... better put your rifle to good use... of course I can't shoot within our city limits! :mad: And this G***D**n Ducks have been coming to my pool every F***kin morning at 5AM...and start quacking...then swim around and S**T all over the place!!! F****kin Ducks I hate em!! :mad:

img3227j.jpg

Pool eh?? Well..... better put your rifle to good use... of course I can't shoot within our city limits! :mad: And this G***D**n Ducks have been coming to my pool every F***kin morning at 5AM...and start quacking...then swim around and S**T all over the place!!! F****kin Ducks I hate em!! :mad:

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

img3227j.jpg

LoL...You're still dealing with those ducks?! Come on...you're a pretty smart guy. How have you not come up with a clever way to get rid of them???

LoL...You're still dealing with those ducks?! Come on...you're a pretty smart guy. How have you not come up with a clever way to get rid of them???

Wile E. Coyote is smart and clever. But he never gets that stupid Road Runner.

Members don't see this ad :)
she ain't married and she lives in a very gay friendly city...hmmm...there is a distinct possibility!

:eek: wow!

Eso es un descubrimiento profundo. Pero por supuesto la respetamos mientras que ella es. Pero estoy mirando a NCAA women' baloncesto de s que grita. ¿Eso me hace a un homosexual?

:eek: wow!

Eso es un descubrimiento profundo. Pero por supuesto la respetamos mientras que ella es. Pero estoy mirando a NCAA women' baloncesto de s que grita. ¿Eso me hace a un homosexual?
Usted es sólo homosexuales si para animar los equipos de la WNBA

Non sono definitivamente in WNBA. Ma scommettevo le vigilanze di Spiriva esso. :scared:

wnba 는 빤다.

지금 명랑한 멈추고 싹 당신의 오리 가십시오.

wnba sucks. Is cheerful now to stop and your duck go completely

:shrug:

This is soooo cool! Channel 9 on United let's u listen in on the flight control conversation.

Posted via Mobile BlackBerry Device

I used to log on to DFW flight control while taking flight lessons to learn the pilot talk. I have the utmost respect for pilots. What a cool job.

I used to log on to DFW flight control while taking flight lessons to learn the pilot talk. I have the utmost respect for pilots. What a cool job.

Yeah really. All I heard was a bunch of "stop short" bravo's and charlie's.

I didn't hear any women though. My grandmother was doing that 60 years ago.

Yeah really. All I heard was a bunch of "stop short" bravo's and charlie's.

I didn't hear any women though. My grandmother was doing that 60 years ago.

No Echo's huh??

Flight traffic control school was my backup option to pharmacy school...some days I wish I had done that instead of pharmacy!

I hate children.

I'm at the trailer park hoop shooting some hoops. Been there for about 2 minutes. Then these 2 moms roll up to the court with their damned kids. I do a little dribble drive to the hoop. This little punk loses the ball he was playing with and it runs underneath of me causing me to trip. The kid begins laughing. The mothers, who didn't see the ball tripping me, then look at the kid and say "isn't he cute."

I hate children.

I ask them when they are going to leave because I don't like shoot hoops around children. Surprisingly, I was being nice. They get all judgmental and ACTUALLY say "You hate kids now but when you're older and get married, you'll want kids."

I'd bet my eyes started twitching and veins started popping in my neck.

I asked the dumb bitch how old she was. "Twenty-four." I'm like, "Woman (yes, I actually addressed her as woman), I'm older than you, married, and your brat of a kid just tried to kill me. Go to hell." I got in my car and left to go to the hoops near the college.

I hate children. To this moment I have no idea why people want them. But for the love of God, if you have them, don't expect me to think they are cute/wonderful/something worthy of smiling at. They just annoy me. Their shrill little voices and incessant whining dig into me like a scalpel shot out of a cannon. They are useless to me and society until they become taxpayers.
Wow...I don't hate kids that much, but I share some of your sentiment.

For a married man that's kind of a sad rant. What does your wife think about that?

Your feelings will change if/when you have children, trust me. I did not ever like children, ever. Or babies. But having one of your own is 100% different. It's totally cliche but totally true.

Of course, those passive moms sound pretty worthless, you were right to tell them to **** off. People who ignore their kids when they're talking to friends or whatever piss me off as well. Especially when they bring their babies/toddlers to movies or restaurants. I mean, come the **** on. Pony up the $30 for a baby-sitter so we can all enjoy the movie or dinner or whatever.

I have no use for any person under the age of 18. Kids are just so stupid, they bring absolutely nothing to the table. They really make me want to stab myself in the temporal lobes repeatedly when I cannot avoid being around them.

Every airplane, every restaurant, every grocery store, it is inevitable: these things are screaming, bitching, ****ting or pissing on themselves, and their stupid parents sit there with their fists up their own asses while pretending this is cute and/or even remotely socially acceptable behavior. I think most of the time I hate the parents equally or even more. Shut them ****ing things up or take them/leave them home. Always with some form of candy sticking out of their loud mouths, which brings me back to irresponsible parents, who likely deserve much of the blame for the current obesity problem in this country.

Bottom line, kids are too expensive, and simply waste inordinate amounts of time, energy, and potential productivity. I don't see the return on investment at all. I am all for a cap here in the United States. If I came across less of these little ****s I would feel comfortable leaving my apartment or office much more often. I could go on about this for years......

Last edited:
We were all kids once, right? Man, I wish I was a kid again. I remember as 10 yr old playing in the backyard all by myself (I had no friends back then). I would watch the ants skitter in and out of the little mounds they made. Sometimes I'd grab an ant and throw it into a spiderweb then watch the spider rush to the struggling insect then web it.

I'd also catch big black ants and throw it next to the mound of smaller red ants. The black ant would escape 50% of the time, killing a couple red ants that grabbed its legs. The other half of the time, there were too many red ones and the black ant was slowly dragged into the colony.

Good times, good times.

For a married man that's kind of a sad rant. What does your wife think about that?

She wants children less than I do. She tried to irradiate her uterus when she was 8 years old.

Your feelings will change if/when you have children, trust me. I did not ever like children, ever. Or babies. But having one of your own is 100% different. It's totally cliche but totally true.

Your feelings about heroin would totally change if you tried it. Sure, you didn't really like it before...but once you've tried it...it's 100% different.

And the saddest thing...really, it's roughly the same brain chemistry going on. You are evolutionarily hardwired to feel like that about your offspring. Just like you are about a mu agonist. Heroin, religion, kids...it's all pretty much the same thing, really. I'd rather not try heroin for the exact same reason I don't want kids. Both change your brain chemistry and start making you act irrationally. People do the most idiotic things in the name of parenthood. I say, "no thank you."

But what REAAAALLLLY pisses me off are the concessions people with children expect out of everyone. I have to take 3 f'n months off to have a child. Are you serious? And they get paid? **** that. I want 3 months off to hang out with the WVU football team and get paid. Or, of course, the inevitable..."Hey, Mike, so and so's KID is sick...I need you to come in." Or; I have to go to my KID'S something or another next weekend evening...the boss wants to know if you'll work the most horrible shift there is because my burden of having a child is your burden, too....that's bull****. Plus a huge chunk of my tax dollars go towards paying for the sons of bitches schooling. People that do not have children should get something from society for unjustly having to put up with everyone else's rug rats.

Aaaargh.

Last edited:
Oh Christ, comparing children to heroin? Did you guys have shattered childhoods or something?

Do I really need to explain why your analogy is horribly, horribly stupid? I hope not. For shame, for shame.

Oh Christ, comparing children to heroin? Did you guys have shattered childhoods or something?

Eh, kinda, but not really.

Do I really need to explain why your analogy is horribly, horribly stupid? I hope not. For shame, for shame.

I don't think it is. Having a child changes your intrinsic logic. Just like getting addicted to smack does. Drugs, love, religion, power, dave and buster's...its all roughly the same thing....

kids are yucky. If someone else wants my eggs they are more than welcome to them. I think I may be able to get more money for them once I've got the Pharm.D. And if I'm in a long distance relationship I can take the hormones for harvesting... $$$$

She wants children less than I do. She tried to irradiate her uterus when she was 8 years old.

I figure I should go ahead and confirm this before I get asked. 100% true. I tried to nuke my uterus by getting up on a chair and standing in front of the microwave. Probably did it a good 5 or 6 times before my mom caught me.

No babies!!!

I don't think it is. Having a child changes your intrinsic logic. Just like getting addicted to smack does. Drugs, love, religion, power, dave and buster's...its all roughly the same thing....
Dude...just because our brain processes pleasure a certain way doesn't mean that everything that gives us pleasure is for some reason undesirable. Kids have a lot to offer, there is a reason billions of people have had children up until this point. Well, there are lots of reasons, but one of them is that kids are cool once you get over the whole "life is about ME" thing.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and pat myself on the back for calling out WVU's girl, she hadn't posted in a year and a half! Hah.

Your feelings about heroin would totally change if you tried it. Sure, you didn't really like it before...but once you've tried it...it's 100% different.

And the saddest thing...really, it's roughly the same brain chemistry going on. You are evolutionarily hardwired to feel like that about your offspring. Just like you are about a mu agonist. Heroin, religion, kids...it's all pretty much the same thing, really. I'd rather not try heroin for the exact same reason I don't want kids. Both change your brain chemistry and start making you act irrationally. People do the most idiotic things in the name of parenthood. I say, "no thank you."

But what REAAAALLLLY pisses me off are the concessions people with children expect out of everyone. I have to take 3 f'n months off to have a child. Are you serious? And they get paid? **** that. I want 3 months off to hang out with the WVU football team and get paid. Or, of course, the inevitable..."Hey, Mike, so and so's KID is sick...I need you to come in." Or; I have to go to my KID'S something or another next weekend evening...the boss wants to know if you'll work the most horrible shift there is because my burden of having a child is your burden, too....that's bull****. Plus a huge chunk of my tax dollars go towards paying for the sons of bitches schooling. People that do not have children should get something from society for unjustly having to put up with everyone else's rug rats.

Aaaargh.

Not saying you'll ever like kids nor have them. But I can tell you, I hated kids eleventy billion times more than you ever could. Mrs and I both loathed kids..especially misbehaved kids in restaurant. We swore we would never have kids.. We really hated kids..thought it was illogical to have them..waste of time, money, effort.. which may be true.

In fact, there were many things in life I was so sure about when I was 25. But looking back, I learned that my ideaology about different things in life change over time.

If you love kids, great. If you hate kids, great...

Not saying you'll ever like kids nor have them. But I can tell you, I hated kids eleventy billion times more than you ever could. Mrs and I both loathed kids..especially misbehaved kids in restaurant. We swore we would never have kids.. We really hated kids..thought it was illogical to have them..waste of time, money, effort.. which may be true.

Yeah....and like I said....having children changes how you think about them because we are evolutionarily wired to do that.

Well, there are lots of reasons, but one of them is that kids are cool once you get over the whole "life is about ME" thing.

Bull****. Having children is all about the theoretical "me." You can't have affection for a thing that doesn't exist yet. People have children because they want them...or because of an accident...and even then, they keep them because they want them...

And how the hell does NOT wanting children intrinsically equate to meaning that a person's life philosophy is thinking "life is about ME?" If anything, having children is the position that is selfish. How many children are there out there that don't have parents? How many are malnourished? And yet there are people that want their own children with the knowledge that so many already born that already need someone? So unless you adopted and elected to lessen the suffering of another human being that isn't your kin that you want molded with your own genetic code, I reject any and all notion that raising a child is some sort of selfless act.

Jesus tap-dancing Christ why are you so defensive about this? You are seriously arguing that anyone who has kids is selfish because there are suffering children out there?

Come on man, if you feel so strongly about starving children in Somalia why don't you adopt? Why don't you donate your salary to charities? Oh, right, because we can render 90% of what we get to enjoy in western society moot if we start really thinking about all the suffering in the world. If it makes you feel better, take that "life is about ME" comment as being about me and not necessarily applying to everyone.

The fact remains, I hated children before I had one, Zyvox hated children before he had them, and no doubt you will probably hate children for a while until you have them. Does your understanding of the neurophysiology of pleasure in the brain mean this is all us smoking crack? No, and you know that.