The Official August 2, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The date is quickly approaching and it is time to step it up guys!

Who all is taking the test on this date?

Lets work together and make sure we all score well!

Members don't see this ad.

anyone else take june 20th exam and then this aug 2nd one? I thought the june one was AWFUL. and I did worse than expected. averaged 32's and ended up 8 pts below that! sooooo....i retook today and in general agree with most of what has been posted. The PS, I am usually better at calculations so this kinda frustrated me. I would rather have hard answers; when the questions are conceptual I end up working the problem out as if it was numerical and end up wasting time. I didn't have much time left on any section. The VR was good until one passage. I was averaging 6 min a passage until somewhere in the middle (i think #4) and then for some reason could not concentrate and fell waaay behind and ended up rushing and not reading through the questions/answers for the last 2 passages. BS i felt was easy at first, and so I took my time in the beginning, thinking that the questions would be similar throughout. My attitude for this test was to relax and not stress and this totally backfired on this section because I took my time for granted. I usually have a good 10 min left to review, but this time I was down to the wire and had to rush (again). So overall, I don't think the test was harder than june 20th but I don't think I did any better. I just hope I'm wrong!! I actually am just hoping for no less than 4 points below my lowest practice test! fingers crossed...Until july comes I"ll be spending my time at yacht week in croatia...

I feel you. I was shocked how little calculation was on PS. Same thing you said on verbal and BS. I dk I was just brain dead or it was nuts. I think both haha. Never been so anxious to know a test grade

anyonedid else take june 20th exam and then this aug 2nd one? I thought the june one was AWFUL. and I did worse than expected. averaged 32's and ended up 8 pts below that! sooooo....i retook today and in general agree with most of what has been posted. The PS, I am usually better at calculations so this kinda frustrated me. I would rather have hard answers; when the questions are conceptual I end up working the problem out as if it was numerical and end up wasting time. I didn't have much time left on any section. The VR was good until one passage. I was averaging 6 min a passage until somewhere in the middle (i think #4) and then for some reason could not concentrate and fell waaay behind and ended up rushing and not reading through the questions/answers for the last 2 passages. BS i felt was easy at first, and so I took my time in the beginning, thinking that the questions would be similar throughout. My attitude for this test was to relax and not stress and this totally backfired on this section because I took my time for granted. I usually have a good 10 min left to review, but this time I was down to the wire and had to rush (again). So overall, I don't think the test was harder than june 20th but I don't think I did any better. I just hope I'm wrong!! I actually am just hoping for no less than 4 points below my lowest practice test! fingers crossed...Until july comes I"ll be spending my time at yacht week in croatia...

I also wrote the June 20th exam. Did you write the 8am or the 2pm? I wrote the 2pm exam and That was a hard exam, especially the PS section. Today's exam wasn't too bad. I thought verbal was a little tougher today. Anyways, good luck. I hope you score better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very tempted to sell away all my MCAT study materials as I would gain a lot of money.
However I am afraid I did poorly and may need them again.

:(

Lol..Luckily I didn't pick the book up; I was too exhausted. But I've become so used to waking up everyday doing passages that its kind of weird that I don't have to do it anymore.

I know I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Same! Obviously the work is not fun but making progress and improving on practice exams is so rewarding. This morning I felt a strange urge to sign up and start studying again. What has become of me? No clue. Really though we all feel as though we missed a great summer but personally when I have nothing to do I get awful bored. Working towards a goal gets something going in me that is quite addicting. Catching up on Netflix seasons isn't all that appealing but maybe I am just going insane.

Same! Obviously the work is not fun but making progress and improving on practice exams is so rewarding. This morning I felt a strange urge to sign up and start studying again. What has become of me? No clue. Really though we all feel as though we missed a great summer but personally when I have nothing to do I get awful bored. Working towards a goal gets something going in me that is quite addicting. Catching up on Netflix seasons isn't all that appealing but maybe I am just going insane.

I miss studying as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Breaking Bad stole half of my last xmas break. Mad Men is a close runner up.

Ughhh, I haven't thought about the MCAT in quiet a while, but as I'm finishing up my apps I need to know! This wait is far to long

Has anyone signed up for a September exam? Cant figure out what to do here. We have a week and change between getting scores and potential retake dates. Signing up for that insurance exam means studying before knowing we even have to re-take or not. Sure as hell not taking another one with a couple days of review under my belt. What do yall think?

Has anyone signed up for a September exam? Cant figure out what to do here. We have a week and change between getting scores and potential retake dates. Signing up for that insurance exam means studying before knowing we even have to re-take or not. Sure as hell not taking another one with a couple days of review under my belt. What do yall think?

Hey there, I've signed up for September 7th, that way I can simply cancel the test if I find out I did well on the first exam.

The way I see it, what's another month in order to get this test over with? It can't hurt. I've taken the time to work through BR # 4-7 tests, redo all of TPRH verbal, and work through all of the TPR science workbook as practice.

I'd say do it!

Hey there, I've signed up for September 7th, that way I can simply cancel the test if I find out I did well on the first exam.

The way I see it, what's another month in order to get this test over with? It can't hurt. I've taken the time to work through BR # 4-7 tests, redo all of TPRH verbal, and work through all of the TPR science workbook as practice.

I'd say do it!

Wow you have done all of that since the aug 2nd exam>?

Wow you have done all of that since the aug 2nd exam>?

Haha sorry no, the way I worded it, it's just my plan to finish it all before Sept 7th.

I've done BR 5-6 and done most of TPRH verbal and about 20-30 passages of each science section out of the TPR science workbook since I' ve used up BR.

Taking it a bit easy this time since the last test I burned out.

Ahh ok. Same happened to me with the burn out. At least all the hard work is good and fresh. Just review and a little more practice. Signed up for September this afternoon.

Ahh ok. Same happened to me with the burn out. At least all the hard work is good and fresh. Just review and a little more practice. Signed up for September this afternoon.

Awesome! Good luck to you, let's hope we don't have to retake :oops:

Same to you! Hitting cancel on that exam would be amazing. How did you feel post test?

Same to you! Hitting cancel on that exam would be amazing. How did you feel post test?

I felt ok, the test goes by so fast that you don't realize if you did well or you did terrible. However the more I think about it, the worse I feel about the discretes I know I missed, do you get the same feeling? At first I thought I may have pulled off a 11/9/10, best case 13/10/12...but now it's feeling like 9/8/9.

1 damn Ochem question, 1 bio question, and a couple physics questions, and a verbal question have haunted me these past couple weeks.

I think if we were able to forget about the MCAT for a month, it would be easier, but the fact is we still have to study so the results are always on our minds. I can't wait to pass this exam once and for all.

Sucks there is so much content to the MCAT, you can't just take these next couple weeks off and cram Sept 4. You have to keep reviewing the same crap, and doing practice passages to keep the topics fresh. The good thing is we can get in tons of practice passages on any weak areas left.

When I walked out of the test center I felt like garbage but as time passed I started to feel better. I found out I actually got some of the discretes correct that I thought I messed up on so that was a relief. What is eating me is that I had a hard time finishing each of the sections and had to guess on the last few in each. Hoping those guesses didn't hurt me too much!

I know I am suppose to be patient and all but good grief! It has been almost 2 weeks since I took this test but it feels like I have been waiting for months! I was just looking at the July 13th thread since their scores were released yesterday and I must tell you that doing that did not help me one bit. I may be going crazy!!!! HELP!!!!:scared:

I know I am suppose to be patient and all but good grief! It has been almost 2 weeks since I took this test but it feels like I have been waiting for months! I was just looking at the July 13th thread since their scores were released yesterday and I must tell you that doing that did not help me one bit. I may be going crazy!!!! HELP!!!!:scared:

Haha I did the same. I am actually studying at the moment without knowing I need a retake. That.. is driving me crazy.

Whoa you guys are actually studying before knowing your results for a retake?

There is no way I would start studying, if I felt I had to study again I would have voided.

Whoa you guys are actually studying before knowing your results for a retake?

There is no way I would start studying, if I felt I had to study again I would have voided.

I hear what you're saying and I feel a little psycho for doing it. Unfortunately there is only about a week between the time we get our scores and the last possible retake date for applying this cycle. I felt terrible after walking out but I think we all know post-test feelings are pretty meaningless and even if I felt wonderful, I would have signed up for a retake as insurance. Considering the retake is necessary, It would be wise to keep all info fresh rather than wait until a week before the retake to cram. Better safe than sorry and I'll do anything to get this test over with. Notice I am trying to justify this craziness to myself haha.

Just had a dream where I scored 28 (8/10/10). I was kind of disappointed when I get it I hope I'm happy

Hows studying going? :laugh:

I am so sick of doing passages!

Honestly, not bad. The first few days were painful but now that my brain is running again I feel like everything is actually a little easier. I feel like the break did some good without letting all the info slip away. My friends think I've lost my mind.