You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
***The Official ECU Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***
Started by The Crentist's office
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Nope - no responses from them and still haven't had my grades verified by AADSAS!Were they able to reply back to your email saying they received your unofficial grades?
I got an email today saying they would add my unofficial grades to my file for review. Guess that means they haven't made a decision yet at least!Were they able to reply back to your email saying they received your unofficial grades?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called the office last week and the lady doesn’t know anything.Does anyone know if, or when, additional offers will be sent?
Yeah I heard from a friend that ECU sent out some rejections last week and this week, but I'm not sure if they have sent any invites since December. It looks like in previous years they had sent out acceptances in batches over January in February, I know they are switching a couple things up with process so it'll be interesting to see how it all works out.
Sorry to hear that. If you don't mind, can I ask you what was your stats and if you interviewed?Got rejected today as well
Sure. 3.7 oGPA and 21 AA 21 TS 21 PAT and I interviewed in September. How about you?Sorry to hear that. If you don't mind, can I ask you what was your stats and if you interviewed?
Those stats high. My stats are much lower than that so I doubt my chances. I am sure you will get in other dental schools. Good Luck!Sure. 3.7 oGPA and 21 AA 21 TS 21 PAT and I interviewed in September. How about you?
Don't lose hope! My stats were lower than that and I got in Dec 3rd. ECU seems to put more weight on dedication to their mission than stats. Not to say OP doesn't have those qualities, there could be a ton of non-academic reasons but continuing to do things like volunteer will go a long way with ECU.Those stats high. My stats are much lower than that so I doubt my chances. I am sure you will get in other dental schools. Good Luck!
This was my third time applying and the shadowing/volunteer/research were definitely the strengths of my application. I've got a few hundred hours doing clinical dental research, have shadowed every specialty, and have somewhere around 100 volunteer hours.Yeah, the flaw in my application was having 50 volunteer hours and 65 shadowing hours. It looks like I'm gonna have to focus on raising those hours significantly this year. Were you a re-applicant and how many hours did you have?
Make sure you set up a meeting with Mr. Lowery at some point in the next few months and come up with a list of things you need to do to push your application over the top!
Also don't just volunteer for the sake of volunteering, find something you enjoy and are passionate about. It doesn't have to be related to dentistry either. I did a lot of habitat for humanity and construction type stuff simply because I really enjoy it and there aren't a ton of dental volunteer opportunities in my neck of the woods. They just want to see that you're dedicated to helping your communityYeah, the flaw in my application was having 50 volunteer hours and 65 shadowing hours. It looks like I'm gonna have to focus on raising those hours significantly this year. Were you a re-applicant and how many hours did you have?
Also don't just volunteer for the sake of volunteering, find something you enjoy and are passionate about. It doesn't have to be related to dentistry either. I did a lot of habitat for humanity and construction type stuff simply because I really enjoy it and there aren't a ton of dental volunteer opportunities in my neck of the woods. They just want to see that you're dedicated to helping your community
That's nice to hear. All of my volunteer hours were from construction work at Habitat for Humanity as well, but for some reason I felt as if they didn't believe I volunteered there cause they asked about 4 questions relating to my experience there. Maybe I should have told them to call the coordinator to verify my hours but I didn't wanna seem rude by doing that. Did you have a LOR from an ECU alumni? Also, how many hours did you spend shadowing in total?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They probably wanted to know what type of impact your experience had on you, they don’t want just volunteer hours, they want it to spark a passion. I didn’t have a LOR from an ECU alum and I’m sure that wouldn’t really matter to them. Purely shadowing I probably have 50ish hours but through research I’ve got a few hundred hours behind a dental chair during various procedures so that kinda counts as shadowing too
How did you keep up with your LORs for each cycle? Did you have to keep asking for professors to re-write them? And did you update your volunteering/shadowing experiences during this cycle or did you leave them unchanged after submitting your application? Sorry for asking so many questions lolThey probably wanted to know what type of impact your experience had on you, they don’t want just volunteer hours, they want it to spark a passion. I didn’t have a LOR from an ECU alum and I’m sure that wouldn’t really matter to them. Purely shadowing I probably have 50ish hours but through research I’ve got a few hundred hours behind a dental chair during various procedures so that kinda counts as shadowing too
No problem! And I had the same LOR from a dentist each cycle but got new professors each time. The letters from professors were kind of a pain since I’ve had such huge classes at NCSU and didn’t really connect with them. I tried not to sweat it too much over LORs. And I emailed them to keep them up to date with things I was doing but didn’t have any shadowing hours and few volunteer hours to speak of during the fall semesterHow did you keep up with your LORs for each cycle? Did you have to keep asking for professors to re-write them? And did you update your volunteering/shadowing experiences during this cycle or did you leave them unchanged after submitting your application? Sorry for asking so many questions lol
Yeah, getting LORs can be kind of a pain. What did you improve on between your 2nd application and your 3rd application that you think made the difference in getting your acceptance? Why do you think you didn't get accepted after applying the 2nd time? Not enough hours? Masters degree wasn't completed?No problem! And I had the same LOR from a dentist each cycle but got new professors each time. The letters from professors were kind of a pain since I’ve had such huge classes at NCSU and didn’t really connect with them. I tried not to sweat it too much over LORs. And I emailed them to keep them up to date with things I was doing but didn’t have any shadowing hours and few volunteer hours to speak of during the fall semester
My masters degree won't be completed until May and when I was accepted, it was only 1/3rd complete, but I'd gotten a 4.0 after taking 12 hours of summer courses and had a LOR from my most difficult fall class professor. Hours were never an issue with my application and were a strength from the beginning. Mostly all I did between the second and third applications was the Masters courses and that pushed me over the top. I did do some more volunteer work just to keep that going. I guess the main reason I didn't get in the first or second time was that a 3.1 and 20 AA are not super strong scores, but I kept trying and improved on the things that they suggested to me.Yeah, getting LORs can be kind of a pain. What did you improve on between your 2nd application and your 3rd application that you think made the difference in getting your acceptance? Why do you think you didn't get accepted after applying the 2nd time? Not enough hours? Masters degree wasn't completed?
Alright, thanks a ton for the input! Hopefully I'll get accepted next cycle. Best of luck to you at ECU!My masters degree won't be completed until May and when I was accepted, it was only 1/3rd complete, but I'd gotten a 4.0 after taking 12 hours of summer courses and had a LOR from my most difficult fall class professor. Hours were never an issue with my application and were a strength from the beginning. Mostly all I did between the second and third applications was the Masters courses and that pushed me over the top. I did do some more volunteer work just to keep that going. I guess the main reason I didn't get in the first or second time was that a 3.1 and 20 AA are not super strong scores, but I kept trying and improved on the things that they suggested to me.
future_DDS23
Full Member
Hey could any of the current students explain the apple technology bundle that we will have to buy? Like how much is it and what things are included in the bundle?
future_DDS23
Full Member
Also, I just got accepted to UNC. SOS what do I do???????
If you think UNC is a better fit, call ECU and explain the situation. I got accepted to both but personally felt more welcome and at home at ECU. Plus it's cheaper, the facility is nicer, and ECU students get more clinical experience. But obviously UNC is an amazing school too and very established.Also, I just got accepted to UNC. SOS what do I do???????
What were your stats and hours if you don't mind me asking?Also, I just got accepted to UNC. SOS what do I do???????
Still no word on whether or not they're still sending out acceptances? I received an invite to interview at another school, but I would like to know ECU's decision so if it's a good one then maybe I won't have to spend $400 on getting to this interview. What a stressful process.
maltese01
Full Member
I agree! I have a interview next week out of state and really rather go to ecu. I haven’t heard a thing from ecu since my interview in September.Still no word on whether or not they're still sending out acceptances? I received an invite to interview at another school, but I would like to know ECU's decision so if it's a good one then maybe I won't have to spend $400 on getting to this interview. What a stressful process.
future_DDS23
Full Member
I had a 3.34 and made a 22 AAWhat were your stats and hours if you don't mind me asking?
Did you interview Sept. 27th also?I agree! I have a interview next week out of state and really rather go to ecu. I haven’t heard a thing from ecu since my interview in September.
My stats are about the same but I didn't get an interview to UNC. How many volunteer/shadowing hours did you have?I had a 3.34 and made a 22 AA
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My stats are about the same but I didn't get an interview to UNC. How many volunteer/shadowing hours did you have?
I got an interview at UNC, didn't get in but thought my interview went really well. Didn't even get an interview at ECU. I don't think comparing your stats to everyone is the most helpful. I've been told for next cycle to really push what you are passionate about in your essays and app.. you have to make yourself stand out. I heard from very reliable sources that UNC didn't give interview to in state applicants for 4.0 GPAs and super high DATs, it really is about how you can stand out and show you are a real person!
future_DDS23
Full Member
I've been on a few mission trips and some shadowing hours but not a ton. My biggest experience is that I have worked full time as a dental assistant since May.My stats are about the same but I didn't get an interview to UNC. How many volunteer/shadowing hours did you have?
teeth5life
Full Member
I have been receiving emails over the past couple days saying my application is still "active" with the admissions committee. Has anyone else been receiving these ?
I just got one as well but my email says “application status” is that the same as yours?I have been receiving emails over the past couple days saying my application is still "active" with the admissions committee. Has anyone else been receiving these ?
I got a "continued interest" email earlier this week and then an "application status" one today. Hope this means we'll hear an answer soon!I have been receiving emails over the past couple days saying my application is still "active" with the admissions committee. Has anyone else been receiving these ?
Continue interest email?I got a "continued interest" email earlier this week and then an "application status" one today. Hope this means we'll hear an answer soon!
Yes, I hope we do hear back soon. I’m wondering how many students they have accepted..
Continue interest email?
Yes, I hope we do hear back soon. I’m wondering how many students they have accepted..
yeah, it basically just said that the admissions committee was still reviewing applications and to reply if you were still considering ECU or if you've accepted an offer at another school
teeth5life
Full Member
Yes that is what I got too!I just got one as well but my email says “application status” is that the same as yours?
If you look at the pages for other class years, like 2021 etc., most of them have 70+ members in them. So, hopefully there are still openings for the 2023 class.They have 59 people in the ecusodm class of 2023, does that mean they have filled all of the spots?
I had been interviewed on December 27. And still didn’t hear back. Same status on AADSAS.Is anyone else waiting for a decision from ecu? I interviewed with the very first group in September and my status still says "invited for interview"
Dentalkid23
New Member
When did you receive your offer?I just turned down an offer the other day so they still have some spots
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dentalkid23
New Member
Have u heard beck from ecu yet since the continued interest email?I got a "continued interest" email earlier this week and then an "application status" one today. Hope this means we'll hear an answer soon!
Dentalkid23
New Member
Did you ever receive a continued interest email? Also where did u decide to attend?Beginning of January, maybe like the 7th or so
8
875227
Anyone know how likely it is to get off the waitlist?
Received “waiting pool” email todayHave u heard beck from ecu yet since the continued interest email?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 9K
- Replies
- 27
- Views
- 10K
- Replies
- 65
- Views
- 20K