****The Official Howard University Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Look forward to meeting everyone in 2016!!! Congrats!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Post December Hopeful #ticktockticktock

Reactions: 1 users
I cant seem to find the laptop requirements on their website. Does anyone know what type they prefer and which ones they take exams on?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone started a Facebook group for our class?

Reactions: 1 user
Just joined student doctor network! I was accepted to Howard on Dec. 1st! Cant wait to meet you guys :)

Reactions: 2 users
I was also accepted to Howard! I'm sure soon someone will make a FB page lol

Does anyone know if we mail our $1,000 deposit to the same address we sent the first money order? The email didn't say where to mail it so, I'm guessing it's the same address??
600 "W" street, Northwest, room #126
Office of admissions
Washington, DC

Does anyone know if we mail our $1,000 deposit to the same address we sent the first money order? The email didn't say where to mail it so, I'm guessing it's the same address??
600 "W" street, Northwest, room #126
Office of admissions
Washington, DC
They sent a second email out for the address

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything from the financial aid department? In the acceptance e-mail it said to contact them via e-mail and I did on Dec. 1st but I have not heard anything back yet. Is there just a lull in the process or do they mail out financial aid packages?

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything from the financial aid department? In the acceptance e-mail it said to contact them via e-mail and I did on Dec. 1st but I have not heard anything back yet. Is there just a lull in the process or do they mail out financial aid packages?
I talked to financial aid the other day and they said "Incoming students will receive notice of Financial Aid (i.e., information about scholarships, loans, etc.) once their enrollment fee is received. To research current information about financial aid options, please refer to the website for HUCD’s Financial Aid office: http://hucdfinancialaid.webs.com/financing-options" I feel like your FAFSA might also need to be submitted before they can give you a definite number for financial aid, but I'm not sure about that!

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to financial aid the other day and they said "Incoming students will receive notice of Financial Aid (i.e., information about scholarships, loans, etc.) once their enrollment fee is received. To research current information about financial aid options, please refer to the website for HUCD’s Financial Aid office: http://hucdfinancialaid.webs.com/financing-options" I feel like your FAFSA might also need to be submitted before they can give you a definite number for financial aid, but I'm not sure about that!

Thank you very much for the information! I figured I would not receive any financial information pertaining to need based aid until after a FAFSA was submitted. But I had hoped to hear about scholarships or anything merit based now to better help me decide on a school.

Thank you very much for the information! I figured I would not receive any financial information pertaining to need based aid until after a FAFSA was submitted. But I had hoped to hear about scholarships or anything merit based now to better help me decide on a school.
I was told that you would only be able to apply for fafsa in January so i dont think you can get it now?

I was told that you would only be able to apply for fafsa in January so i dont think you can get it now?

Yeah, the 2016 FAFSA does not open up until January which is why I did not expect to get anything about need based aid. However I was hoping to hear about merit based aid such as scholarships which would not need the FAFSA. But I guess the time of scholarship offers given to accepted students varies from school to school? Oh well, I really like Howard anyway so I'll put a deposit with them and hope for some money! :) They are one of the more affordable private schools so scholarship or not, it is a pretty good place.

Yeah, the 2016 FAFSA does not open up until January which is why I did not expect to get anything about need based aid. However I was hoping to hear about merit based aid such as scholarships which would not need the FAFSA. But I guess the time of scholarship offers given to accepted students varies from school to school? Oh well, I really like Howard anyway so I'll put a deposit with them and hope for some money! :) They are one of the more affordable private schools so scholarship or not, it is a pretty good place.
They do offer scholarships! Im not sure how much, i know its based on stats but everyone gets something

Phew... waiting on post December interview. Do you guys know generally from history when they invite post December?

They do offer scholarships! Im not sure how much, i know its based on stats but everyone gets something

That is awesome that everyone gets something, no matter how small, any financial help is pretty great. So I guess I will not know how much until after the deposit and/or after FAFSA for 2016-2017 school year is complete.

Phew... waiting on post December interview. Do you guys know generally from history when they invite post December?

Looking at last year's thread, it looks like post-dec interviews start going out in January. Maybe they want to wait until the Dec. 30th deposit deadline so they have an idea of how many seats they need to fill? But I wish you the best of luck! :)

That is awesome that everyone gets something, no matter how small, any financial help is pretty great. So I guess I will not know how much until after the deposit and/or after FAFSA for 2016-2017 school year is complete.

Looking at last year's thread, it looks like post-dec interviews start going out in January. Maybe they want to wait until the Dec. 30th deposit deadline so they have an idea of how many seats they need to fill? But I wish you the best of luck! :)
Thanks much appreciated! Lets hope for the best! I know what I will be wishing for Christmas and new years...

I'm hoping for a post-december interview as well! I've been trying to get in contact with them to check on the status of my application but I've had no luck. I never got a confirmation email for my supplemental fee but my application status did change to under review. Did this happen to anyone else? It's been over three weeks since I've been trying to get in contact with them :/

I'm hoping for a post-december interview as well! I've been trying to get in contact with them to check on the status of my application but I've had no luck. I never got a confirmation email for my supplemental fee but my application status did change to under review. Did this happen to anyone else? It's been over three weeks since I've been trying to get in contact with them :/

Yeah, they can be really hard to get in contact with. I sent an e-mail in the beginning of the application cycle and I still have not gotten a response to that e-mail! :shrug: To answer your question...I think my application status did changed to under review after they sent me a confirmation email for my supplemental fee. In the confirmation e-mail it said "we will contact you if we require additional information," so if your application was not complete and being reviewed I am guessing they would let you know. It was about 10-12 business days so like 2 weeks or so after the confirmation e-mail that I got a e-mail for an interview. But I think right now it will take longer to get an offer for an interview because they maybe waiting until after Dec. 30th to offer interviews. However I wish you the best of luck and I hope you do get an interview!

Does Howard want Bio Chem 1 and Bio Chem 2 or just Bio Chem 1 ???? -Anyone please

Does Howard want Bio Chem 1 and Bio Chem 2 or just Bio Chem 1 ???? -Anyone please
Their website just says "Biochemistry 3 Semester hours". My school doesn't technically have a Biochem 1 and 2 like general chemistry and organic chemistry, but I think the basic biochemistry at your school would suffice. I was accepted on December 1st and took our 2000 level biochem sophomore year and am taking the 3000 level right now, so I think as long as you have 3 credits of biochem, your requirement is fulfilled.

I only took biochem 1 and I was accepted. There was no mention of me needing to take it before matriculation in the acceptance letter either. So I guess they do not require them both.

Reactions: 2 users
Their website just says "Biochemistry 3 Semester hours". My school doesn't technically have a Biochem 1 and 2 like general chemistry and organic chemistry, but I think the basic biochemistry at your school would suffice. I was accepted on December 1st and took our 2000 level biochem sophomore year and am taking the 3000 level right now, so I think as long as you have 3 credits of biochem, your requirement is fulfilled.
Thank you so much! I plan to apply next cycle and I am just making sure everything is in line. Do you mind sharing extra curricula's that they might be looking for? Also, is doing summer programs and conducting research a big deal?

I only took biochem 1 and I was accepted. There was no mention of me needing to take it before matriculation in the acceptance letter either. So I guess they do not require them both.
Thank you so much! I plan to apply next cycle and I am just making sure everything is in line. Do you mind sharing extra curricula's that they might be looking for? Also, is doing summer programs and conducting research a big deal?

I think all dental schools like to see a lot of volunteer hours. I volunteered at MOM projects and RAM clinics, as well as shadowed 2 general dentists. Make sure your shadowing hours are at least at 100 or above. Most schools like to see at least 100 hours of shadowing a general dentist. Any extracurricular activity that makes you diverse will help your chances of getting in at all dental schools. Research and summer programs aren't necessary, but will improve your application. I didn't do research, but I know a lot of people at my school get paid to do research and it helps when applying to schools to have research experience. When you apply, pay attention to how much emphasis is put on research at all of the schools you apply to. If your top choice is a research-heavy school, it would be a good idea to have some research experience.

I agree with 411predent; a lot of dental schools like to see volunteer hours and shadowing hours. As for research, I also agree that it varies from school to school and you should take notice of which schools you are interested in that put an emphasis on research. Some schools really value volunteering and others have shadowing requirements so be sure to look into your favorite schools and see what they are looking for. I had way less than 100 shadowing hours and I only shadowed one dentist but I had thousands of hours in volunteering and working in undeserved communities. However I was interested in schools that focused on community service so it worked out in my favor. You should do extracurricular activities that you enjoy, that way when/if they ask you about them you can convey your passion for it. It is best to stick with one and do it consistently which shows dedicated rather than doing 5 half-hardily. I think if you can get involved with something that shows team work, leadership, or manual dexterity that would be a bonus.

Thank you guys so much and congratulations on your next journey in life. I plan to apply to Georgia Regents, Meharry and Howard as my top three choices next cycle.

Thank you guys so much and congratulations on your next journey in life. I plan to apply to Georgia Regents, Meharry and Howard as my top three choices next cycle.
Are you a GA resident? If not, I would suggest not wasting your money applying there.

Has anyone who sent in their deposit heard back from Howard that they have received it yet? It's been a week and half and I still haven't heard.:(

... Over here trying to hear back for an interview STILL

Has anyone who sent in their deposit heard back from Howard that they have received it yet? It's been a week and half and I still haven't heard.:(
I sent mine as well but haven't gotten a confirmation email yet either. But no worries! I'm sure they will get to it soon

Did you send yours by mail? I plan on doing that with the tracking thing so i can tell when it was received.

Reactions: 1 users
My status on AADSAS says "Invited for Interview" but I have not received an interview invite through email yet. I hope this is good news waiting! Lol.

Are you a GA resident? If not, I would suggest not wasting your money applying there.
Yes I am a Georgia resident. Meharry and Howard is where my heart is set though, so hopefully when I apply next cycle everything works out.

I got a notification from fedex that the location was closed or that nobody was there to pick up the check, i might call howard to double check this

I got a notification from fedex that the location was closed or that nobody was there to pick up the check, i might call howard to double check this
It's been two weeks for me and still haven't gotten a confirmation. I've called twice and emailed and no one has answered. Let me know if you hear from them!

Judging by last year's academic calendar, they're probably closed from now until after New Year's Day, so hopefully as long as they have our deposit by the time they return to the office we should be fine. I just sent my deposit in on Friday so I'm sure it will be delivered when their office is closed so I won't know if they received it by the 30th.

It's been two weeks for me and still haven't gotten a confirmation. I've called twice and emailed and no one has answered. Let me know if you hear from them!
Yea i will. I called them but they didn't answer me as well. I hope they dont send my envelope back to me if no one picks it up!

So I attempted to make a FB group, but you can't do that until you have people in your friends to add to it =/

Yea i will. I called them but they didn't answer me as well. I hope they dont send my envelope back to me if no one picks it up!
I get no response from them as well, and mine was delivered last week.
"Failure to submit your deposit by the aforementioned date may result in the loss of your position in the class of 2020." (Dec. 30th)
I'm afraid we can lose our spots... :(

"Failure to submit your deposit by the aforementioned date may result in the loss of your position in the class of 2020." (Dec. 30th)

I think as long as it was mailed out on or before December 30th, everything should be alright. I cannot see them taking away seats because of failure to check their own mail.

I think as long as it was mailed out on or before December 30th, everything should be alright. I cannot see them taking away seats because of failure to check their own mail.
I had to cancel my fedex certified delivery. They tried twice but, office was closed. So i am going to resend via us post so they can put it in the mailbox. I think as long as you have proof of the transaction you will be fine.

I'm very worried about that as well! Really upset at how they don't answer phones or emails. I sent mine just about 3 weeks ago and cannot get anyone to contact me on whether they have received anything. I'm just hoping it doesn't get lost or something crazy and lose my seat over it

Hey everyone, I'm applying next cycle. Did any of you apply before your prerequisites were completed, or did you have them all done by the time you app was submitted? I'm a post-bac, and I'll have my classes finished by August 2016, but I was concerned about submitting my application too late! Thoughts?