****The Official Howard University Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Any tips for interviewing?
Be yourself. Also, know why dentistry and why that particular school. I was interviewed by two doctors but it was very relaxed. Questions weren't hard. They don't really grill you, at least i didn't feel that way.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just interviewed this morning. The class is only a little more than half filled, so keep up your hope guys.

Reactions: 2 users
I was just interviewed this morning. The class is only a little more than half filled, so keep up your hope guys.

That's great to hear! Good luck i really hope you get in :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone receive their Student ID yet?

Did anyone receive their Student ID yet?
Nope...still waiting on mines. They said they would send them within 10 days of receiving the deposit and it has been almost two months. I did not expect to get it in 10 days but I did not expect to be waiting almost two months.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone figured out where you're living yet? Honestly Maryland looks like a better option than some places in DC.

Has anyone figured out where you're living yet? Honestly Maryland looks like a better option than some places in DC.
I haven't decided on a place yet. I found a few I like in both Maryland and DC but I really only like the DC ones because they are close to the school and I'm a lazy commuter. I want to tour the apartments before I make up my mind though. But yeah, I agree that Maryland looks like a better option. The prices are way better and I really liked the area from what I saw during my stay for the interview.

I haven't decided on a place yet. I found a few I like in both Maryland and DC but I really only like the DC ones because they are close to the school and I'm a lazy commuter. I want to tour the apartments before I make up my mind though. But yeah, I agree that Maryland looks like a better option. The prices are way better and I really liked the area from what I saw during my stay for the interview.
How are you going about looking for apartments? Someone on another thread mentioned craigslist but I feel like that's sketchy.

How are you going about looking for apartments? Someone on another thread mentioned craigslist but I feel like that's sketchy.

Yeah, I think Craigslist is sketchy too. I have been basically asking friends, family, and co-workers for suggestions. My mother knows people in the D.C. area and they have given me suggestions. I also volunteer at a facility that has a branch is Washington D.C. so people who work at the D.C. facility have given me a few suggestions. I have also used Howard's off campus housing website to help me find places, plus the places on the website usually offer some sort of student discount.

So how far is this commute from the places you found in maryland to the school?

Any "new" interview invites yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
So I just got out of my interview not too long ago. It was very chill and everyone was extremely friendly. I inquired about the class size and available seats. I was told that only about 50 seats have been secured out of about 80

There were 5 of us interviewing today, so I imagine that they will be sending out more interview invites

There is about a week turnover time (from interview to when you hear a decision) is what we were told today

Hope this helps!

Hey guys,
So I just got out of my interview not too long ago. It was very chill and everyone was extremely friendly. I inquired about the class size and available seats. I was told that only about 50 seats have been secured out of about 80

There were 5 of us interviewing today, so I imagine that they will be sending out more interview invites

There is about a week turnover time (from interview to when you hear a decision) is what we were told today

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the update! I wish you the best of luck. Is Howard one of your top schools if you were to get accepted?

Thanks for the update! I wish you the best of luck. Is Howard one of your top schools if you were to get accepted?

Hey,
Thank you! It is one of my top. I'm from the area and don't want to go far. Also they have very high expectations as far as skill/level of performance from their students, they're family oriented, culturally diverse, and honest. To be frank, they come off kind of "old school" in terms of their academic approach so that's a great benefit.

They'll have a bunch of stories to share with you lol

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone, so im getting a laptop soon...does anyone one if we are free to choose brand?
What brand are u guys getting?
Thoughts on 2 in 1 laptops?

Hey everyone, so im getting a laptop soon...does anyone one if we are free to choose brand?
What brand are u guys getting?
Thoughts on 2 in 1 laptops?
Hey i got the macbookpro retina display! I saw a lot of students using mac during my interview.

Hey i got the macbookpro retina display! I saw a lot of students using mac during my interview.

Hmmm i wonder if its a requirement...if not i may be the only one in class with a 2in1 :) I like the idea of a touchscreen i can draw on? It could prove useful but we may not be drawing teeth in class as i imagine...
Im torn between the macbook and the yoga 900! Or there's the microsoft surface book....the choices!!!!

Hmmm i wonder if its a requirement...if not i may be the only one in class with a 2in1 :) I like the idea of a touchscreen i can draw on? It could prove useful but we may not be drawing teeth in class as i imagine...
Im torn between the macbook and the yoga 900! Or there's the microsoft surface book....the choices!!!!
I was wondering if there was a laptop requirement. I prefer windows so I hope I can get away with using one. I think the 2in1 are pretty cool too. My mom has one and I really like the range of things it can do. Having the option of a tablet and traditional computer is pretty awesome.

This wait is absolutely brutal. At this point, I have to start looking into a Masters program. Any idea if Howard sends out rejections? The last time i applied, i got an e-mail after the cycle had closed.

This wait is absolutely brutal. At this point, I have to start looking into a Masters program. Any idea if Howard sends out rejections? The last time i applied, i got an e-mail after the cycle had closed.
Howard sends out rejections, because i got one the last week of may in 2014, but i believe that they do look at all applications coming their way. My DAT score didn't event get to them until mid march of 2014. I am taking the DAT again March 31 (I have to make sure, I have all of the time in the world to study for this exam) and I am in the process of getting my Masters in Public Health. My GPA hasn't changed dramatically in the sciences, but my sGPA& overall GPA is making a strong upward trend. I am keeping the faith and so should you. One lady a few years back got an acceptance from them the day before classes started.

Last edited:

Check out Barry University's BMS Program in South Florida , i did my masters there.

Hi everyone, I recently interviewed and was accepted to Howard for the class of 2020. In my acceptance email, there was no address for where to mail my deposit to. Anyone else who has already sent and had confirmation of its receipt, what was the address you sent it to? Thanks!

Hi everyone, I recently interviewed and was accepted to Howard for the class of 2020. In my acceptance email, there was no address for where to mail my deposit to. Anyone else who has already sent and had confirmation of its receipt, what was the address you sent it to? Thanks!
Howard University College of Dentistry
600 W Street, NW Room 126
Washington, DC 20059

I have a q about Howard's prerequisites. It says they require 6 hours of human anatomy, however I'm double majoring and don't have the room/ time to fit it into my schedule. I'm fully booked til I graduate. However I have taken 6 hrs of comparative anatomy courses (one of which is a graduate course- dental anatomy and histology [4 cr hrs]). Does anyone know if that'll work?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I think only Howard can answer that question, yes i know its difficult to get in contact with them. But if you want my opinion, i don't believe that dental anatomy and histology is comparable to Human anatomy. Although Dental Anatomy is a graduate level course, that doesn't mean its comparable in terms of curriculum.

Human anatomy is a course where you learn about every part of the body, all the body systems with blood, nervous, connective tissue, lymphatics etc. Dental anatomy is very limited. Histology goes no where in depth compared to anatomy. I have taken all these classes as well as done a Masters in Biomedical Science where i also took Gross Anatomy and Histology (graduate level) so that is my opinion.

My advice to you is to take all your classes and prereqs, theres no timeline "to graduate" the biggest misconception now a days is that students feel they must graduate in 4 years. If you were on the admissions committee would you rather see a student in 4 years with a bachelors and missing a important PreReq? or a student who took 4 years and an extra semester but has all the requirements for dental school.

Hey,
Thank you! It is one of my top. I'm from the area and don't want to go far. Also they have very high expectations as far as skill/level of performance from their students, they're family oriented, culturally diverse, and honest. To be frank, they come off kind of "old school" in terms of their academic approach so that's a great benefit.

They'll have a bunch of stories to share with you lol
Have you heard back yet? I was just wondering because you said they told you it's a about a week's wait till you hear back.

I just really want my student ID and some info on when classes start

No more interviews
Are you sure? In last year's thread, students were getting invites in May and June. That is just what I saw from last year.
I don't think what @bkahan said was true, last Friday they said 50/80 seats were taken at an interview . Unless, 30 deposits miraculously showed up from Friday until now. I don't think that is the case. I have checked forums from the last four years and the latest I have seen is June for interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just really want my student ID and some info on when classes start
Me too! I have tried to contact them about it several times but I have yet to get a call back or email response. :(

Have you heard back yet? I was just wondering because you said they told you it's a about a week's wait till you hear back.

Hey, I haven't heard back yet. I knew it would be toward the end of the week, possibly early next week, that I would hear back because the committee has to find a common time to meet (and Nixon told me they would not be able to until, the earliest, yesterday). The group that interviewed the week before I did heard back the following Wednesday.

Hey, I haven't heard back yet. I knew it would be toward the end of the week, possibly early next week, that I would hear back because the committee has to find a common time to meet (and Nixon told me they would not be able to until, the earliest, yesterday). The group that interviewed the week before I did heard back the following Wednesday.
Yes. I interviewed on the 19th (Friday) and got an acceptance on the 24th (Wednesday), although they told us that we would hear back on Monday. So whatever day they told you, it'll be around then but might be a little bit later.

I called the admissions office last week and the lady told me they're done - could've just told me that, I don't know. My application is still "under review" but she said they're done

I called the admissions office last week and the lady told me they're done - could've just told me that, I don't know. My application is still "under review" but she said they're done

U know their admission office is not reachable, right?

Please make sure you're absolutely positive about that, because several people on here have called/e-mailed Howard and they have not responded to anyone. So, i don't exactly know why they would tell you they are no longer inviting people for interviews?

I am serious, I understand this website is full of trolls. I'm in the same boat as some with no interview. I asked if interviews were still being given out, she replied with no. Then I said okay, can i set up an appointment to talk about how to strengthen my application for the next cycle, to which she said has your application been denied? I said no... Okay, so we can't give you one until that's happened... But if you're not giving out interviews, obviously I'm denied... You have to wait. And that was the whole convo pretty much

I also got through to Pittsburg (done too), temple (giving them out under "special" circumstances), Maryland (done).

Take the info as you guys want, I was just trying to help out. I'd love if they meant no more interviews right NOW and maybe they'd give more out if needed but she just said no

Last edited:
I am serious, I understand this website is full of trolls. I'm in the same boat as some with no interview. I asked if interviews were still being given out, she replied with no. Then I said okay, can i set up an appointment to talk about how to strengthen my application for the next cycle, to which she said has your application been denied? I said no... Okay, so we can't give you one until that's happened... But if you're not giving out interviews, obviously I'm denied... You have to wait. And that was the whole convo pretty much

I also got through to Pittsburg (done too), temple (giving them out under "special" circumstances), Maryland (done).

Take the info as you guys want, I was just trying to help out. I'd love if they meant no more interviews right NOW and maybe they'd give more out if needed but she just said no
thank you for clarifying :) I just called them again, and there was no response. Guess i'll just have to wait and see but i'm already getting ready to reapply next cycle.

I am not in denial of them not giving out anymore interviews, but I work in a major city health department and I call them everyday when I first get into the office. I know for a fact that they aren't that candid with their answers, I feel like they would give out denial letters before telling someone no more interviews over the phone. The fact that you haven't post on any Howard related post or stated anywhere else that you applied to HUCD, I honestly think that you are being a troll. They had charter day this past Friday so I think they were prepping for that and placed apps to the side for a second and their spring break is next week so I think everything is on hold for the moment. Think about it, between tests and spring break, when are they going to have time to interview people? I say give them until the 25 of March to hear anything from them everybody. If we stay on top of them, I think they will respond. I am personally going to send them a letter in the mail this week.

I am not in denial of them not giving out anymore interviews, but I work in a major city health department and I call them everyday when I first get into the office. I know for a fact that they aren't that candid with their answers, I feel like they would give out denial letters before telling someone no more interviews over the phone. The fact that you haven't post on any Howard related post or stated anywhere else that you applied to HUCD, I honestly think that you are being a troll. They had charter day this past Friday so I think they were prepping for that and placed apps to the side for a second and their spring break is next week so I think everything is on hold for the moment. Think about it, between tests and spring break, when are they going to have time to interview people? I say give them until the 25 of March to hear anything from them everybody. If we stay on top of them, I think they will respond. I am personally going to send them a letter in the mail this week.

you're awesome! thanks for making my day :D