***The Official Howard University Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, can you tell us more about the school, it's hard to find any info, to be honest.

Like what the clinical experience and courses feel like, the class profile and the instructors way of teaching, do you like it so far? Are D1 involved in outreach programs?

Thanks.
The class is actually very diverse to be a HBCU. We try to move as a unit and help each other out, because there is no way to get through dental school alone. It has its challenges, but we have the support of upperclassmen and most professors. I think it is a great school, but there is room for improvement. D1 year is about surviving, so no outreach programs. As you become more acclimated you will find different opportunities to become involved with. It is strongly suggested you wait until D2 year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The class is actually very diverse to be a HBCU. We try to move as a unit and help each other out, because there is no way to get through dental school alone. It has its challenges, but we have the support of upperclassmen and most professors. I think it is a great school, but there is room for improvement. D1 year is about surviving, so no outreach programs. As you become more acclimated you will find different opportunities to become involved with. It is strongly suggested you wait until D2 year.

Thank you so much, this helps a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted 12:13 AM!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted 12:10am!!!!! Yaaayyyyyyyy lol

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted. 12:10 am. Let’s make a Facebook page guys. And congrats

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations. I am so happy for you and I hope they will send post-December interviews our way too :clap:

What's everyones status on AADSAS? I sent my supplemental fee out in September and I never got the confirmation e-mail that they received it. Although my status on AADSAS says complete and application fee received so I'm guessing they received it but just never sent me the e-mail confirmation??

send them an email that you never received it . It happened to me too

I think two people need to be connected on Facebook in order to start a group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Inbox me your Facebook name ?

What's everyones status on AADSAS? I sent my supplemental fee out in September and I never got the confirmation e-mail that they received it. Although my status on AADSAS says complete and application fee received so I'm guessing they received it but just never sent me the e-mail confirmation??
I just emailed them as well for the same reason

The Facebook page is HUCD class of 2023 . Feel free to post anything on the page for those who plan to attend the school.

Anybody accepted with a 17AA?? or 18AA?
So you expect us to tell you if we got in with 17s/18s yet you just posted in another thread that you got in with an AA of 15, but wont reveal the school to which you were accepted. GTFOH! Talk about double standards!

Reactions: 3 users
So you expect us to tell you if we got in with 17s/18s yet you just posted in another thread that you got in with an AA of 15, but wont reveal the school to which you were accepted. GTFOH! Talk about double standards!
You're mad about a question that was directed towards everybody? Inbox me if you want to know where I got accepted. I'll be glad to tell you. I just wanted to know if anybody got in with those scores because my sister was accepted here on the 3rd with a 17 and we wanted to know if anybody else was... Calm down, sis lol.

bro-dont-be-serious-why-so-meme.jpg

for those who were accepted did you have 6 credits of anatomy done? I want to see if I still have a chance here

for those who were accepted did you have 6 credits of anatomy done? I want to see if I still have a chance here

I had 8 credits of anatomy and physiology combined of that helps

You're mad about a question that was directed towards everybody? Inbox me if you want to know where I got accepted. I'll be glad to tell you. I just wanted to know if anybody got in with those scores because my sister was accepted here on the 3rd with a 17 and we wanted to know if anybody else was... Calm down, sis lol.

Lmao @ "sis!" No one is upset, I just thought it was odd that's all! Nevertheless, congratz on your acceptance!

Lmao @ "sis!" No one is upset, I just thought it was odd that's all! Nevertheless, congratz on your acceptance!
Plus you know how those jerks get on that page lol. A bunch of hating debbie downers lol. Also! If Howard is your first choice you and my sister will be classmates! Congrats on your acceptance as well!

What kind of questions do you guys recommend asking in an interview? I’m supposed to meet with an official tomorrow but want to have something substantial to ask them

Meet with an official? Or is your interview tomorrow?

1) What percentage of their students graduate on time?
2) Post graduation, how many students place in a residency?
3) What do you believe sets HUCD apart from other dental schools?
4) What personal and professional advice would you give a D1 student?
5) In regards to specializing, are you able to provide any additional information on the Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Program- as information is limited online?

Those are just a few ideas. Do your best to impress, but at the end of the day keep it simple and only ask questions that you truly wanna know the answer too.

Good-luck & keep us all posted!

Is there an email that the school has to let them know I'm still interested? I haven't heard anything post supplemental fee

Wish I would have seen this sooner! Haha but thank you for the advice. I was meeting with the Dean at my state school they wait listed me. But she basically told me I’ll be getting rejected more than likely lol. Considering I’m competing with the in state pool, everybody offered an in state acceptance is prolly holding on to it cause I’m sure they want in state tuition just as bad as I do lmao! So it’s highly unlikely the instate wait list is gonna budge much..

But no I already interviewed at Howard I enjoyed it.

I also have an interview at Tufts soon if anyone has interviewed there did you enjoy it? I may not go there though cause they don’t accept my prereqs.. and retaking Physics sounds very gross (there’s a reason I took it at a C.C.) my gpa could not afford anymore blows

There's an exception to every rule man! If they (Tufts) invited you to interview then they may be willing to overlook the the physics taken at the CC level. Orrrrr they may give you some additional time to retake it. Were you accepted into HUCD?

True true.. although I don’t know much about most of the schools I applied to as I changed my options when I saw my DAT score. But Tufts does have some great facilities. And no I haven’t been..yet. Lol I’m hopeful

Ok well hopefully you get in man! Stay focused and keep believing, things always have a way of working themselves out!

has anyone received scholarship opportunities yet? Ms Nixon said that there is a lot of opportunity for scholarships

has anyone received scholarship opportunities yet? Ms Nixon said that there is a lot of opportunity for scholarships

Did she really say this? I guess I missed that part. Either way I'm still waiting to hear back about this as well. Hopefully they let us know something soon.

Did she really say this? I guess I missed that part. Either way I'm still waiting to hear back about this as well. Hopefully they let us know something soon.
During my interview I believe she told us that they won’t be able to push out scholarship offers until around Feb/ March ... They’ll be merit based and they’ll look back to see how you did on your interview.

I know Ms. Nixon said we'd find out by Monday at the earliest and Wednesday by the latest for those of us that interviewed Dec. 3rd. I was super bummed we didn't hear back yesterday! Good luck to you guys, hope we hear back tomorrow

During my interview I believe she told us that they won’t be able to push out scholarship offers until around Feb/ March ... They’ll be merit based and they’ll look back to see how you did on your interview.

I hope this isn't the case... Feb/March is fairly late. I know people who have held off on accepting other offers because they are waiting to hear back from HUCD regarding potential scholarships awards. Those of us who where accepted on Dec 3rd to HUCD and other schools only have 30 days to decide & commit. If HUCD waits that long to push out info, then they may loose some great contenders. Idk, that's just my logic.

I hope this isn't the case... Feb/March is fairly late. I know people who have held off on accepting other offers because they are waiting to hear back from HUCD regarding potential scholarships awards. Those of us who where accepted on Dec 3rd to HUCD and other schools only have 30 days to decide & commit. If HUCD waits that long to push out info, then they may loose some great contenders. Idk, that's just my logic.

Yea I think this may be the case unfortunately because most schools send out scholarship awards when they accept you.

I know Ms. Nixon said we'd find out by Monday at the earliest and Wednesday by the latest for those of us that interviewed Dec. 3rd. I was super bummed we didn't hear back yesterday! Good luck to you guys, hope we hear back tomorrow
I know I’m so anxious lol .... hopefully these next 2 days will go in our favor

Does Mrs. Nixon ignore emails? Because I've been emailing her about my application and its been radio silence for about 2 weeks? lol Should I send a follow up to a follow up email? lol (I only sent 2 tho) Has she responded to any of y'all recently?

Does Mrs. Nixon ignore emails? Because I've been emailing her about my application and its been radio silence for about 2 weeks? lol Should I send a follow up to a follow up email? lol (I only sent 2 tho) Has she responded to any of y'all recently?
So the reason most emails are left unread is that she is the ONLY one handling most of the admissions without any help. So even if you send an email it will most likely go unresponded unless she decides to respond.

So the reason most emails are left unread is that she is the ONLY one handling most of the admissions without any help. So even if you send an email it will most likely go unresponded unless she decides to respond.
Thanks for the info! Had no clue, but makes sense...reminds me of my undergraduate HBCU experience lol. Does Howard interview on Saturdays??

Thanks for the info! Had no clue, but makes sense...reminds me of my undergraduate HBCU experience lol. Does Howard interview on Saturdays??
Is this typical of HBCU’s? That’s a reason I’ve been debating here. Bad reputation, poorly funded, and usually slow cause of lack of resources ugh
Accepted 12:10am!!!!! Yaaayyyyyyyy lol
Any word yet for those of us that interviewed on Dec. 3??
zero words.. so anxiously frustrated

Is this typical of HBCU’s? That’s a reason I’ve been debating here. Bad reputation, poorly funded, and usually slow cause of lack of resources ugh

zero words.. so anxiously frustrated

"Typical of HBCUs?" "Debating here?" "Ugh?"

I'm not sure how to approach this question because I don't know if you're genuinely asking or if you're being an a******. Hopefully my delivery comes across nicely because it's truly meant to inform... I don't know how things operate on a national scale, but yes there have been instances where funding has been an issue for certain HBCUs. But from my understanding its typically the smaller colleges/universities that are affected.

That being said, HUCD has been around since the late 1800s so clearly they are doing something right. In regards to reputation, there are only two dental HBCUs and they both are known for their prestige and their commitment to producing the best of the best. Not trying to be an ass, but did you do your research on HUCD before applying? And if so, what did you find? Why waste your time and money applying to a school that you're having reservations about? You've had an interview, toured the facility, and interacted with the personnel there correct? So why are you still debating if HUCD is the school for you? At this point in the game I kinda feel like you should already know...

Becoming a dental profession is the ultimate goal of everyone participating in this thread, however I don't think its privy for anyone to apply to and/or matriculate into an institution that they don't believe in. I know its easier said then done, but pass up the offer and give the opportunity to someone who is a believer. At the end of the day HBCUs are giving well deserving people a chance that other schools just aren't. In one of your previous post, in this thread, you mentioned the demographics of your other interviews, if I'm not mistaken you said that every candidate there was either Asian or Caucasian. Not trying to make this a race thing, but those experiences should've spoken volumes! Although its a HBCU, there's a ton of diversity at HUCD and in my opinion it offers a true representation of the real world. Diversity and inclusion are two huge factors that are often overlooked in medicine and dentistry, but the existence of HBCUs allows us to counter that.

Full transparency: My GPA is a 3.56, my AA for the DAT is an 18, I'm a veteran, and my extra-circulars are top notch! I carry myself well, I'm a great orator, and I know how to work the hell out of an interview. With all that being said, Howard was the first school to give me a chance. No wait-listing, rejections, etc...

In summary, its all love over here man, but don't frown upon Historically Black Colleges & Universities because as I mentioned before they're giving people chances that other schools just are not! Congratulations to everyone that's been accepted. I hope you all are confident in your decision to attend HUCD and I wish us all nothing but positivity and success along this exciting journey!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
"Typical of HBCUs?" "Debating here?" "Ugh?"

I'm not sure how to approach this question because I don't know if you're genuinely asking or if you're being an a******. Hopefully my delivery comes across nicely because it's truly meant to inform... I don't know how things operate on a national scale, but yes there have been instances where funding has been an issue for certain HBCUs. But from my understanding its typically the smaller colleges/universities that are affected.

That being said, HUCD has been around since the late 1800s so clearly they are doing something right. In regards to reputation, there are only two dental HBCUs and they both are known for their prestige and their commitment to producing the best of the best. Not trying to be an ass, but did you do your research on HUCD before applying? And if so, what did you find? Why waste your time and money applying to a school that you're having reservations about? You've had an interview, toured the facility, and interacted with the personnel there correct? So why are you still debating if HUCD is the school for you? At this point in the game I kinda feel like you should already know...

Becoming a dental profession is the ultimate goal of everyone participating in this thread, however I don't think its privy for anyone to apply to and/or matriculate into an institution that they don't believe in. I know its easier said then done, but pass up the offer and give the opportunity to someone who is a believer. At the end of the day HBCUs are giving well deserving people a chance that other schools just aren't. In one of your previous post, in this thread, you mentioned the demographics of your other interviews, if I'm not mistaken you said that every candidate there was either Asian or Caucasian. Not trying to make this a race thing, but those experiences should've spoken volumes! Although its a HBCU, there's a ton of diversity at HUCD and in my opinion it offers a true representation of the real world. Diversity and inclusion are two huge factors that are often overlooked in medicine and dentistry, but the existence of HBCUs allows us to counter that.

Full transparency: My GPA is a 3.56, my AA for the DAT is an 18, I'm a veteran, and my extra-circulars are top notch! I carry myself well, I'm a great orator, and I know how to work the hell out of an interview. With all that being said, Howard was the first school to give me a chance. No wait-listing, rejections, etc...

In summary, its all love over here man, but don't frown upon Historically Black Colleges & Universities because as I mentioned before they're giving people chances that other schools just are not! Congratulations to everyone that's been accepted. I hope you all are confident in your decision to attend HUCD and I wish us all nothing but positivity and success along this exciting journey!
Nah I’m not being an *** I’m actually genuinely curious. I mean no matter who you are it’d be nice to attend a place you know runs rather smoothly.

I’m not disrespecting Howard that’s just the facts - there’s plenty of information that shows the school as a whole may not be the best funded institution. I have no regrets inquiring about any dental school or having reservations. I personally do not view any of these schools as some holy grail. That said, we have all put in the work to earn and deserve a spot in a school and as such I have every right to have my concerns (it’s 4 intense years of your life) just like all these admissions reps make decisions “have concerns” about each and every applicant. There are plenty of qualified applicants so this process is very much a two way street, but at the end of the day a dental school is a dental school. And if one’s able* but not willing to sacrifice to pursue their dream then I don’t feel becoming a dentist is really his or her passion. If the only school to accept me was somewhere out on Mars best believe I’d be learning with the martians for 4 years.

I’m not saying I’m unappreciative of my opportunity for Howard, I’m very grateful. And although yes I’ve been the only African American in my other interviews I don’t see reason to believe thats a major problem. For one, it’s the reality of America, we have to work with everyone in life and arguably Causcasians could think the same about applying to HBCUs.

I strongly believe diversity allows us to benefit from one another in a variety of ways. But I’d attend a school whether or not it was highly diverse. My concerns about diversity are solely to assess a level of comfortability at the school and in the surrounding area.

As far as research, Howard really doesn’t have much on their page..at least from what I saw.

But again, a dental school’s a dental school in my eyes. And reputation is real. Much like med school students frown upon attending Caribbean schools to obtain their education or DO vs MD. Either way you get to where you want to be, a doctor. And no matter if someone attends somewhere they dislike they’re still ahead of the game as the majority of applicants don’t pass the entrance exam....never get an interview, etc. so if there’s only one door that opens up and says next stop dental degree layover in hell I’m going through. But that’s just me

Do you think Howard will get to us before January 4th (aka the deposit due date for the school you got accepted to on dec 3 lol) I've been accepted to a school that I wouldn't mind going to, but I'm holding out for Howard. I know a few of us that interviewed on dec 3 got acceptances elsewhere already. not sure if anyone else is concerned with this.

Do you think Howard will get to us before January 4th (aka the deposit due date for the school you got accepted to on dec 3 lol) I've been accepted to a school that I wouldn't mind going to, but I'm holding out for Howard. I know a few of us that interviewed on dec 3 got acceptances elsewhere already. not sure if anyone else is concerned with this.
I don’t know about Howard, but if they’re anything like my HBCU no, lol. I’m holding out as long as possible though!

I’m hoping to hear back before Christmas so that I have a reason to start buying myself some Howard gear lol .... but on a serious note , I know that Ms. Nixon is super busy so I’m trying to be patient/understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.