~~~ The Official "I'm Going Out of My Damn Mind" Thread~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I know its only been 2 weeks since I have been complete.
I know I shouldn't complain.
I know that there is a thread for people who have not yet received interviews.
I don't care.

This is the thread for people who are going insane refreshing their inbox and reading SDN till 6 in the morning in an attempt to pass the time. Share your sob stories, and what you are doing to keep from imploding.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been complete since early September at some schools, and there is only one school at which I am not yet complete. I realize that there's a ton of time left for me to get interviews (I don't have any yet), but I'm getting quite impatient and a wee bit worried because I've seen people on here get invites at my schools after being complete for less time than I have :(

I come on SDN a lot, and I'm not sure if it helps me or hurts me (some of both, probably), but I try to stay busy with schoolwork and friends :)

i spend hours on SDN. i only read the reassuring stuff. if someone says something that is negative, i don't believe them. if someone says something that gives me hope, i believe them and quote them to all my friends. like, "guess what, Rochester takes 90% of its class off the waitlist and the last 10% off the reject list."

i want to say the last thing i do before i go to bed is check SDN, but that would be untrue. i go to bed and then get BACK UP a few times to check.

i dare anyone to be sicker than I am.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at one of my two schools 10/10, so now I'm freaking out waiting for word on how I stand. Adcom meets on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday and changes the status that following Wednesday. The last meeting day passed without any decision being made on me, so now I'm nervously waiting for the next meeting, then probably the next, and the next, and the next... I think I'm going to go mad! :scared:

i spend hours on SDN. i only read the reassuring stuff. if someone says something that is negative, i don't believe them. if someone says something that gives me hope, i believe them and quote them to all my friends. like, "guess what, Rochester takes 90% of its class off the waitlist and the last 10% off the reject list."

i want to say the last thing i do before i go to bed is check SDN, but that would be untrue. i go to bed and then get BACK UP a few times to check.

I check my email and SDN on my phone AS I lay in bed falling asleep. I check it in class. I once checked my email while in the shower. I should have taken 30 credits this semester to occupy my time, but God knows that wouldn't have worked.

I check my email and SDN on my phone AS I lay in bed falling asleep. I check it in class. I once checked my email while in the shower. I should have taken 30 credits this semester to occupy my time, but God knows that wouldn't have worked.

i check SDN during class too AND I'M THE TEACHER!!!

i swear to god, every time i see the acceptance thread at the top of the first page, i get heart palpitations.

this whole thing is totally freaking me out.

i swear to god, every time i see the acceptance thread at the top of the first page, i get heart palpitations.

this whole thing is totally freaking me out.

my very favorite thread is the "other people getting rejected" thread. sorry guys. luv u mean it.

I'm taking ridiculously hard classes this semester and if I do well I can graduate with honors.
However doing status checks, checking my email, and SDN manipulates my life; thus I made a new goal of straight Cs.
All the hard work to impove/maintain a good gpa is going down the toilet because of this whole stressful application process.
I REALLY HAVE TO GET IN SOMEWHERE NOW!
I am definietly going out of my damn mind :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)

Is that true, how do they accept people who have been rejected?

I'm taking ridiculously hard classes this semester and if I do well I can graduate with honors.
However doing status checks, checking my email, and SDN manipulates my life; thus I made a new goal of straight Cs.
All the hard work to impove/maintain a good gpa is going down the toilet because of this whole stressful application process.
I REALLY HAVE TO GET IN SOMEWHERE NOW!
I am definietly going out of my damn mind :scared:

I'm with you, my undergrad GPA will most certainly go to hell by the end of winter semester. The way things are going, if I don't get in this year then I don't think I will ever get in.

Is that true, how do they accept people who have been rejected?

dude, i made that up. you are proving the worth of this thread. WE HAVE LOST TOUCH WITH REALITY!!!!

dude, i made that up. you are proving the worth of this thread. WE HAVE LOST TOUCH WITH REALITY!!!!

Some schools actually did that last year, so it has happened. A certain midwestern school accepted everyone on their waitlist and found itself a bit short of students for its entering class, and offered acceptance to 10 people that had been previously rejected before it filled their class... must be nice to have gotten that call asking "I know we rejected you, but are you still interested in a spot in the 2007 entering class" if you had been shut out to that point...

I created a gmail forwarding filter to my cell phone for the word "interview."

Can't make this stuff up.

Plus, I'm obsessively checking status updates on webpages instead of studying for the three exams I have this week.

lol...I did that too...It took me two hours to figure it out, and I have yet to receive an email from my gmail

Yeah I am freakig out 24/7 as well, but I attribute about 80% of it to SDN. I mean if you believe everything posted here, then all med students scored a 35+ on the MCAT and took 2 years off to deliver babies in Kenya and build houses in rural areas of the US. Actually, I feel most content with myself on days I am away from a computer and not obsessively checking my email or haunting the threads of SDN. Even though I have two invites, I still feel like I have a lot to overcome. This is just how I feel, and I am sure everyone has different ways of looking at the process.

the whole point of being obsessed is that it is an "obsession." you can't help it. if you could stop checking status pages and SDN, you would. maybe there's a patch?

actually, i've gotten really useful info on SDN. remember the thread on how heavy science books are and what backpack we should get? good stuff. that got me thru the night.

i check SDN during class too AND I'M THE TEACHER!!!

:lol
:LOL
:LOL:
:lol:

what the hell, give me that green banging head on table crying laughing smiley

edit: oh, there he is. Great Success, as Borat would say

lol...I did that too...It took me two hours to figure it out, and I have yet to receive an email from my gmail

well, the only ones I've gotten so far are "you have a new private message at the SDN forums!" and it's somebody saying "hey I saw you got an interview, what are your stats?"

Ironically, the last interview invite I got was via a "status update" notice, so the filter didn't pick up on it. Fortunately I've got that little notifier down in the corner of my desktop. What would I do without the bright blue envelope?:love:

If it wasn't for having to work or doing other things I do fun, I would be a mess. Now I really appreciate living in FL so that I can go to the beach or do things to get my mind off the process.

My favorite is the "official I got a 14/20 .... " thread. It is like the Laguna Beach of SDN threads.

I wish my grass were as emo as this thread because then it would cut itself.

i want to get some news so i can make future plans

I totally hear you on that one. My poor fiance is traveling all around the country interviewing for jobs near the schools I applied to, and the best he can say when they offer him the jobs is "maybe." :scared:

I've worked so hard for this and I really want all that goes along with it (getting to choose your favorite school, taking financial aid into consideration, etc), but it's going to be so hard to hold out until March or April to make a decision when we are getting married in May and moving out of here by June. And it's the not knowing that is keeping me up at night. Thankfully, I will be interviewing like crazy for the next six weeks...maybe that will keep me busy enough so that I will just sleep at night.

My poor fiance...

I wish my grass were as emo as this thread because then it would cut itself.

So glad you want to be a physician with this kind of attitude toward mental health...I don't want to be mean, but this post was uncalled for

I totally hear you on that one. My poor fiance is traveling all around the country interviewing for jobs near the schools I applied to, and the best he can say when they offer him the jobs is "maybe." :scared:

I've worked so hard for this and I really want all that goes along with it (getting to choose your favorite school, taking financial aid into consideration, etc), but it's going to be so hard to hold out until March or April to make a decision when we are getting married in May and moving out of here by June. And it's the not knowing that is keeping me up at night. Thankfully, I will be interviewing like crazy for the next six weeks...maybe that will keep me busy enough so that I will just sleep at night.

My poor fiance...

As Elaine once said: "The dingo ate my baby."

So glad you want to be a physician with this kind of attitude toward mental health...I don't want to be mean, but this post was uncalled for

?????????????????????????

Again, "the dingo ate my baby."

Very sorry to say, but same here....

I do the same thing, except I spend a good portion of time in the SDN Lounge. I really hope none of my kids ever come behind the desk and look at the screen.

If I ever get an interview, my interviewer will write one note about how it went:

"we waited too long with this one, he went f***ing crazy"

If I ever get an interview, my interviewer will write one note about how it went:

"we waited too long with this one, he went f***ing crazy"

hahahahahahaha. maybe they'll accept you out of pity. or guilt.

A bleeding heart. How nice.

I love you people so much. i'm reading these other threads and its like "oh my god i only got 7 interviews and 3 acceptances...i REALLY hope Hopkins accepts my 3.9/40" i have no interviews i'm seriously losing it...like seriously. I check my email/sdn literally every 10 minutes. I can't do anything else. I need to start drinking (more)

interviewer: "So, ah, Mr. Candlestick Man, according to our records, you've been checking our status page 6,423 times... everyday. Comment?"

interviewer: "So, ah, Mr. Candlestick Man, according to our records, you've been checking our status page 6,423 times... everyday. Comment?"

LLLLOOOOLLLLLLL!!!!!!!! i am choking with laughter. can't breathe. (hey, can they do that??)

I am convinced that I am the only person on SDN who didn't kill the MCAT.

Should be studying PChem, but I am here... story of my life.

all I can say is thank god for this thread, I thought I was the only completely insane person out there! :D

Having applied to Canadian med schools, it's nice to know when they tell everybody about the interview invites. For example, I know that UBC med is going to tell me if they like me or not sometime in early January, while Calgary is going to tell me in early Feb (I think).

So I barely think about it.

Having applied to Canadian med schools, it's nice to know when they tell everybody about the interview invites. For example, I know that UBC med is going to tell me if they like me or not sometime in early January, while Calgary is going to tell me in early Feb (I think).

So I barely think about it.

Some of my schools are ambiguous, some are exact. For instance, one of my school tells you exactly which few days of the year they will update your status to accept/reject/waitlist you, and another says they meet each week and that you should expect a decision anywhere from 1-4 weeks after interviewing, while a few others basically say "probably sometime in December would be the earliest you'll hear from us."

Hmm. At the end of the day I suppose it is still very stressful to wait even if you know the day it is coming.

I'm nervous about rejection etc. I am planning my "what if i don't get in" alternate 1 year options:(