**The Official July 2016 MCAT Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ad2b

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Created.

July 8 exam = August 9 release date

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say discussing it here maybe, it's more convenient and we can get other people to chime in too if they would want. Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user
Great! Should we start by posting an article we'd like to start with? I'd say pick 1 of the ones you posted already. I don't think we should spend a lot of time reading everything. Maybe make it MCAT style - just an abstract, intro, graphs/tables, and maybe leave conclusion out since that would give it away. Idk?

Members don't see this ad :)
If we do email/forum I am in. My schedule is too hectic to figure out a good Skype time that works with everyone.

I feel like I need more practice questions. Does anybody know if the AAMC MCAT practice exam(Scored) ONE have the same questions as the AAMC MCAT sample test. I dont want to buy it because it will serve me no purpose beside .

Any input/suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks.

I feel like I need more practice questions. Does anybody know if the AAMC MCAT practice exam(Scored) ONE have the same questions as the AAMC MCAT sample test. I dont want to buy it because it will serve me no purpose beside .

Any input/suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks.

I have not bought them yet but I assume they are different.

Intro
RNA poly II is holoenzyme complex

General transcription factors such as TFIIB, TFIID, TFIIF stabilize, and recruit RNA polyII

p53, VP16, and E2F1 bind to TFIIH(GTF). TFIIH has enzymatic activity. Helicase required for formation of open complex and promoter clearance. When poly pauses in Drosophilia, phosphorylating the C term domain resumes elongation.

Poly II stall 20-40 base pairs downstream start site in drosophilia hsp70 and human c-myc genes and terminate prematurely in HIV provirus

HIV Tat and Gal4-VP stimulate elongation by polII

Synergy-when binding of 2 or more activators to single template cause more than additive stimulation of transcription

3 mech known of synergy
-coop DNA binding
-formation of mult contacts btwn activators and GTFs and
-derepresseion of chromatin templates by displacement of nucleosome

Experiment Testing
Testing for activator domains and their abilities in stimulating elongation

Results
Results showed different activation domains and their abilities to stimulate elongation
-if polymerase densities evenly along gen-elongation is efficient
-if polymerase density on 5' end than 3' end, than elongation poor

This is what I got out of this. Hope someone can corroborate.

I just took the 4 hour diagnostic test prior to starting my Kaplan review course on Wednesday and scored a 492. Pretty disappointed but really didnt know what to expect for a place to start? Anyone have thoughts? I obviously expect that to go up over the course of the next 2 months, but not sure what would be an expected starting point.

Was this your first diagnostic/practice exam that you took? If it is, then I think that is a reasonable place to start. I think maybe you have not gotten used to the timing. Other factors could be at play as well.

Also, as far as the consensus goes, Kaplan tests aren't really representative of the real deal. I mean, they definitely build stamina and get you a feel for test-like settings (cross out answers, timing, highlighting, etc). However, I wouldn't ignore them completely either as they are good sources for knowing which areas you are weak in. How were your section scores? Anything you were particularly great in? The AAMC is more tailored to conceptual understanding of broad topics and most topics are intertwined. So you could be dealing with fluid dynamics, cardiovascular system, acid/base chemistry all in one passage.

@betterfuture sorry, didn't get a chance to look over the article. Got a last minute chance to shadow a flight surgeon for the weekend and got wrapped up in that. I will try to look over the article after my biochem test on Wednesday.

@Nontrad2016 I never took the diagnostic so I am not sure if they give you a breakdown or just a basic score. The downside with any diagnostic prep course is that they place significantly more difficult questions on there in order to ensure that you get their "better score guarantee." I would disregard this score, focus on what you had difficulty with and then utilize your first FL score as your actual baseline.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I had a quick question about this simple question: What do you think about the answer:

Any comments would be appreciated

Attachments

• Q.40.png
    Q.40.png
    247.1 KB · Views: 81
Hi everyone, I had a quick question about this simple question: What do you think about the answer:

Any comments would be appreciated

C? A and B essentially say the same thing so those can't be it. And if its at a pH of 2 then you would have 1x10^-2M H30+ and 1x10-12M OH which is > than a million.

C? A and B essentially say the same thing so those can't be it. And if its at a pH of 2 then you would have 1x10^-2M H30+ and 1x10-12M OH which is > than a million.

It is C, but I thought since an antacid is dissolved and as it says in the first part of the passage that antacid neutralized the acidity of gastric juice, I chose D over C after eliminating A and B!

It is C, but I thought since an antacid is dissolved and as it says in the first part of the passage that antacid neutralized the acidity of gastric juice, I chose D over C after eliminating A and B!

I think their definition of "neutralizing" doesn't mean making it pH=7. Gastric juices have to stay around a pH 2-3, what the antacid is doing is increasing it when it drops below 2.

Depends on many variables. The big ones off the top of my head/what I have read here/heard from adcom feedback - who you ask, MD vs DO, you as the overall applicant (your application/ECs/GPA/etc), where you are applying specifically, have you pre-written secondaries, primary application complete/submitted for verification, and WHETHER OR NOT YOU ARE READY.

Take it in July and do average, likely puts you a step behind your peers but may vary at your state school if they have a high IS acceptance rate and the rest of your app is fine. Crush the MCAT and apply broadly with a good application, you should still get interviews. Might not be top 20 but who knows.

The big downside to taking it in July or anytime after is that you do not get your score for another month. This makes it difficult to gouge where you are competitive, out of reach, or should just retake all together. Then again, there are people who took it in July, August, September, and in the past even October (same year retake and only applied to state MD school) who got in during the same cycle. In the end, there is no definitive answer, just be sure that you are ready for the MCAT.

Is there anyone else retaking their MCAT? I feel like it is so much worse the second time around :(. I have bough AAMC stuff but what other sources would you suggest to practice? I did poorly on the psych section and am not sure what kind of sources would prepare you well.

im taking my MCAT on July 22, and am just focusing on studying now. I plan on:
1.doing ALL content review in one month using the examkrakers series
2.doing practice tests for one full month (while taking a summer course)

good idea?

I am currently signed up for the June 18th MCAT but worrying I will not be ready by then. Does anyone know to what, if any, degree changing my test date to the July 7th MCAT will have on my application? I have heard late June is the latest you should take the MCAT but I am not sure about how the application process works. For reference: I have a competitive GPA and good LORs. I am planning on submitting my application on June 7th when it opens for submission. Thanks for your help in advance!

Is there anyone else retaking their MCAT? I feel like it is so much worse the second time around :(. I have bough AAMC stuff but what other sources would you suggest to practice? I did poorly on the psych section and am not sure what kind of sources would prepare you well.

A lot of people are suggesting Khan Academy for Psych/Soc. Their videos are good and they have a ton of passages on P/S as well.

@kamikama101 Khan Academy and Memorang (MIT flashcard/quiz app) are what I am using for P/S and it is working out well (I think). I am supplementing with some Kaplan reading here and there and listening to several Khan Academy, MCAT Prep, MCAT2015, and whichever other youtube videos I can find (FT job allows me to listen to videos while I do work and take 10 min breaks each hour to do a few passages). So far it seems to working well, taking a FL after my Biochem final so I can't confirm yet. Sometimes you can find a few OCW psych and soci classes someone recorded. If you are still in school you might be able to find a psych/soci major who records themselves teaching and explaining the information then posts on youtube with a private channel/video which might help you learn.

@bamablonde334 It all depends on who you ask. I know of people who took a September MCAT and were accepted to their state school in December/Jan but received interviews at several others. I took mine last August and still got interviews though I knew I needed a retake for an acceptance. It is significantly better to take it later and be prepared than to take it early and miss your target completely. If your ECs are good in addition to your GPA/LOR and get a strong MCAT then you still have a good shot. Note: by competitive I am assuming 3.7+.

This question is from the Princeton Review Free MCAT exam. I put B, but the answer is D. Can anyone explain why the answer is D and not B? Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 1.33.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 1.33.23 PM.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 71
deltaG = 0 at equilibrium -> rearrange the equation deltaG = deltaH - T * deltaS, with 0 plugged in for deltaG.

Last edited:
@bamablonde334 It all depends on who you ask. I know of people who took a September MCAT and were accepted to their state school in December/Jan but received interviews at several others. I took mine last August and still got interviews though I knew I needed a retake for an acceptance. It is significantly better to take it later and be prepared than to take it early and miss your target completely. If your ECs are good in addition to your GPA/LOR and get a strong MCAT then you still have a good shot. Note: by competitive I am assuming 3.7+.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your insight! I have a 3.85 BCPM GPA and 3.86 overall GPA. I have lots of shadowing and pretty good ECs. I feel I can do average on the June 18th MCAT since I have only taken one practice test so far. I feel I could do much better on the July 8 or 9th MCAT with a few extra weeks to study. I just want to make sure that a delayed score (August 9th) from taking the July MCAT will not have a significant impact on my ability to get interviews. Thoughts anyone?

@bamablonde334 Thanks for your insight! I have a 3.85 BCPM GPA and 3.86 overall GPA. I have lots of shadowing and pretty good ECs. I feel I can do average on the June 18th MCAT since I have only taken one practice test so far. I feel I could do much better on the July 8 or 9th MCAT with a few extra weeks to study. I just want to make sure that a delayed score (August 9th) from taking the July MCAT will not have a significant impact on my ability to get interviews. Thoughts anyone?

I moved mine to July 8th. Best decision I've made so far (took off just enough pressure to really get me motivated to study, feel like I can get a high score). If you have a good application elsewhere, there's a chance that a late MCAT could slightly decreased your chances. However, a poor MCAT kills your application. A solid MCAT with everything submitted in early August is easily good enough for an admission. I think it's better to give yourself enough time to get a score that will make you competitive.

@Hospitalized When do you think is the best time to start the AAMC material? I want to make sure I start at the right time since I also have a few more test-prep FL's left to use but wasn't sure if I should ignore that for right now.

@Hospitalized When do you think is the best time to start the AAMC material? I want to make sure I start at the right time since I also have a few more test-prep FL's left to use but wasn't sure if I should ignore that for right now.

No idea. I'm taking the unscored on June 1. I think about 5 weeks out is ideal; identify your AAMC-oriented weaknesses, adjust accordingly.

For those of you haven't taken the free Princeton MCAT, don't look at these screenshots if you don't want spoilers.

After reviewing the question, I understand that the binding constant is the reciprocal of the dissociation constant, but I don't know where they got the 1.5 x 10^5 from. I can't find it in the passage and the table only says 1.5. Is this something I am supposed to know ahead of time or am I missing something?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 3.19.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 3.19.55 PM.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 3.20.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 3.20.00 PM.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 3.22.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 3.22.15 PM.png
    30 KB · Views: 48
@Nucleophile1 This is a TPR typo as they only specify "1.5" and not the magnitude of the value. Don't worry about this one- it's just an example of their poor quality.

Okay thank you. That makes sense. Unfortunately, on the very next question, a similar issue arises. Just a heads up for those of you taking the TPR free MCAT!

Study hard! This is the test that decides your future! You can do it. :) I'm on hour 3/8 today. Finish the last 5 with me!
Holy crap! You normally do 8 a day? Working on soc passages at the moment before going to a bio review session tonight!

Holy crap! You normally do 8 a day? Working on soc passages at the moment before going to a bio review session tonight!

I would say I average right around 5. Some days 8, some days 3. I don't have work today so I'll definitely get 8 or more in.

Edit: I started studying 3 weeks ago, taking test on July 8

I commend you good sir lol. I'm taking it July 8 too! I haven't been working much but am taking biochemistry too so try an get in around 3-4

Anyone using Kaplan resources? If you are, do you where to find the answers to the practice book? Thanks in advance

Study hard! This is the test that decides your future! You can do it. :) I'm on hour 3/8 today. Finish the last 5 with me!
do you put your self on the clock with 8 hours. i think i should do the same. 4 hours on tests. and 4 on content.
its so hard with school. but the semester is almost over
this is a retake for me to

I try to study in 95 minute intervals. That is what actually replicates the amount of time that you need to focus. Then I take usually a 15 minute break or 30 minute break if I'm going to get food (sometimes I do longer than that (e.g 1hour) to give myself rest though if I'm feeling burnt out).

Anyone taken EK tests here?

EK 1- 70%
EK2- 64%

Disappointed in the drop after one week. C/P and CARS score extremely low on EK2.

Those are pretty good scores. I would definitely say 506+ at this point. Maybe try the NS FL1 for free on their website? EK's tests are supposed to be the toughest.

Anyone taken EK tests here?

EK 1- 70%
EK2- 64%

Disappointed in the drop after one week. C/P and CARS score extremely low on EK2.
EK C/P is sooo tough IMO. I got 64% on EK 1 and 3 with really low C/P section scores, then took NS FL 1 and got 512 with a 128 in C/P. Then got like 63% on unscored C/P and not sure what that equals (other sections were 80% so it's clear what my weakness is :/)

Hi everyone, I know a few people have already replied to a similar question, but I was wondering if a July 8th MCAT would be a significant disadvantage as a late test date for someone like me who has average stats and is applying mainly to DO schools? My GPA is average but I have great extracurriculars, come from ivy undergrad, and have everything else prepared for the most part for this coming cycle. I would appreciate any feedback!!

Hi guys!

I was scheduled to take the may 20th but rescheduled to july 8th since i got a 501 (126/123/127/125) on the aamc scored the week of my exam :/
im working on improving my verbal and C/P any suggestions?
aiming for a 508+ and also applying this cycle!!

Hello Everyone,

There is a course being offered by a highly rated Kaplan tutor, and it seems all his students have scored an avg of 514. If you want to go with him, if you find 2 other students we can all get 500$ discount and the course totals to 750$ .
The course starts in June 6th!
PM me and let me know,