**The Official July 2016 MCAT Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ad2b

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Created.

July 8 exam = August 9 release date

Members don't see this ad.

Would anyone be able to check their portal and see if there are seats open for July 9th in the VA area? I'm signed up for June 18, so I can't view that info right now :(

I just checked for you. there are a lot of choices including alexandria, falls church, chesapeake, virginia beach, colonial heights, etc.

I just checked for you. there are a lot of choices including alexandria, falls church, chesapeake, virginia beach, colonial heights, etc.

Thank you so much! My preferred locations are listed there so that's good news. Sometimes, the site shows up, but it says no seats available…I'm hoping that won't be the case! I'm planning on voiding my June 18, and signing up for the July one because I really need the extra three weeks. Hopefully, it won't be too late to apply :/

In any case, thanks again for your help :)

Just finished NSFL5 -- 504 (126/125/126/127). Really pushing for 506+ on the real thing. Scores have been:

[5/21] NS1: 503 (126/124/125/128); 60% correct
[5/27] NS2: 507 (127/128/126/126); 66% correct
[6/1] AAMC unscored: 506-7 (estimated 126/126-7/126/128); 70% correct (64%/73%/63%/81%)
[6/8] NS3: 501 (wtf CARS?) (125/123/126/127); 55% correct
[6/14] NS4: 505 (127/125/125/128); 61% correct
[6/17] NS5: 504 (126/125/126/127); 63% correct

Which score conversion chart did you use for your AAMC unscored? I've seen a bunch of random ones on here and the one you used makes me slightly more okay with my score.

I don't even remember anymore haha. It's the one circulating on these forums I believe. I'm not too high on my score on it, but it is right around where I've been performing on NS, just slightly higher, which is consistent with what people say about NS (typically score 1-5 points higher on real deal approximately). The CARS for NS seems harder than AAMC to me -- although I know the sample is supposed to be easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone done the NS exams yet? Just want to get a feel on how I'm doing in preparation for the July 8th exam (aiming for a 508+)

took Next Step Exam 4 today and got a 503 total (125/126/125/127)

What do you guys think?

I think you're definitely within reach. NS isn't exactly predictive and I think it's slightly more convoluted compared to AAMC. What have your other scores been? Trending in the right direction is important!

20 days:eek: (since today is over) does anyone else ever feel burnt out?

Reactions: 1 user
I did half the 120 questions for Chem; seemed pretty chill. I'm dreading to start physics though. Have you started the Section Bank?

Hey guys, I had to reschedule my June 18 test to July 9 because of a power outage at my testing center. I am applying MSTP this cycle. Good luck to everyone!

Can someone give explain the term psychophysical discrimination testing? I tried looking it up, but didn't understand the explanations given. Thanks in advance

Can someone give explain the term psychophysical discrimination testing? I tried looking it up, but didn't understand the explanations given. Thanks in advance

To give a simple explanation: since I'm sure you read wiki and more complex sources. This is when you are trying to discern perception from its psychological processing and its physical processing. Ex. I want to test perception of fear, I ask subjects to self report and answer questions in response to stimuli. They might report they weren't scared. Mean while, I was measuring the skin conductance response with electrodes on the body, or monitoring temperature, or heart rate, pupil dilation etc. from the physical results and the psychological reports in their responses I can better extrapolate exactly what the fear response to that stimulus was and where the threshold on average is for individuals is, based on divergence of the data. This will be more accurate than either method of testing alone.

Let me know if this helped at all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

Retaking on July 22! I previously took April 23, 2016 exam and got a 502 (128/121/125/128). Got murdered by CARS. So I've been working on CARS and content review for everything else. Any tips for me moving forward?! I seem to be struggling with CARS, physics, and the data analysis portion on the bio/biochem section.

Also where are you guys getting your FL's? I burned through most of them already since I took my exam April. I have all of the TPR total 11 (2 left). I got 3 free kaplan (1 left). Next Step 1 free. And I will be retaking all of the AAMC FL's. Didn't burn through the section banks and questions last time so a majority of those are still fresh! Also looking at the Khan Academy for practice passages and TPR Science Workbook!

Looking forward for what yall have to say!

I did half the 120 questions for Chem; seemed pretty chill. I'm dreading to start physics though. Have you started the Section Bank?

Chemistry and especially physics are easily my worst subjects, and, like you, I thought the question pack for chemistry seemed much, much easier than current AAMC material. None of the question packs are even close to the difficulty of the section banks, unfortunately. (At least that's how I feel about them.)

I was supposed to take my MCAT yesterday, on June 17, but I started doing the section banks one-two weeks prior and I was getting killed. It destroyed my confidence, making me postpone until July 8. I got a 73%, 85%, 76%, 86% on the AAMC sample test, but even that felt loads easier than the section banks.

Chemistry and especially physics are easily my worst subjects, and, like you, I thought the question pack for chemistry seemed much, much easier than current AAMC material. None of the question packs are even close to the difficulty of the section banks, unfortunately. (At least that's how I feel about them.)

I was supposed to take my MCAT yesterday, on June 17, but I started doing the section banks one-two weeks prior and I was getting killed. It destroyed my confidence, making me postpone until July 8. I got a 73%, 85%, 76%, 86% on the AAMC sample test, but even that felt loads easier than the section banks.

From what I am reading, AAMC will likely throw curveballs on the C/P section since the SB makes it seem like it's all peaches and cream and there's little to no "real" Physics and just the usual Chem stuff - Biochem focused is what the C/P is geared towards. But, no! There seems to be calculations heavy stuff on the real deal which worries me. (This is just from reading reactions though.)

How many more full lengths do you plan on doing until test day?

Probably 4. I'm really feeling diminished returns on them. With 6 tests, I've got my timing down, I know when to skip and come back to certain questions. Most of the stuff I miss is content-based. And I really suck at converting units. ****ing seriously this C/P SB is mostly unit conversions.

Lololol AAMC trolls so hard with the SB sometimes. Nucleoside molecular weight really?

Reactions: 1 users
Probably 4. I'm really feeling diminished returns on them. With 6 tests, I've got my timing down, I know when to skip and come back to certain questions. Most of the stuff I miss is content-based. And I really suck at converting units. ****ing seriously this C/P SB is mostly unit conversions.
I agree.. I don't feel taking these full lengths are helping me as much anymore because I just keep forgetting content. I have NS 4 and the AAMC scored left with a bunch of Kaplan. I was just debating whether or not to upgrade to have NS 5 and 6 but at this point I don't think I will. I'll probably just spend the time watching Khan videos for everything instead.

I hated the SBs. I did horrid on both C/P and BB: 54% and 59%.. eeek. I really need relearn solution chemistry.

Khan is golden. ESPECIALLY P/S >>>>> This is the only Psych/Soc source affiliated with AAMC (besides SB, unscored, and score), so I'm going all out. Everything else is worthless. For instance, EK mentions gestalt principles, but fails to name like half of them. There's actually 8 laws, EK mentioned 5 (and doesn't even put emphasis on them).

I agree.. I don't feel taking these full lengths are helping me as much anymore because I just keep forgetting content. I have NS 4 and the AAMC scored left with a bunch of Kaplan. I was just debating whether or not to upgrade to have NS 5 and 6 but at this point I don't think I will. I'll probably just spend the time watching Khan videos for everything instead.

I hated the SBs. I did horrid on both C/P and BB: 54% and 59%.. eeek. I really need relearn solution chemistry.

I was going to do a FL today, but decided against it. There's really diminishing returns. I'm going to take a week off of FL and just sure up some weak content areas, then I'll take my last NS, one EK, and the scored over the last 2.5 weeks.

67% on C/P SB, untimed, although I didn't end up spending much more time on it than what would be scaled to a normal FL. I'll live... I'm much more worried about the fact that I only got 50% on the reasoning about design. Some of the content stuff was worthless minute knowledge, but I guess according to June 18thers anything goes.

67% on C/P SB, untimed, although I didn't end up spending much more time on it than what would be scaled to a normal FL. I'll live... I'm much more worried about the fact that I only got 50% on the reasoning about design. Some of the content stuff was worthless minute knowledge, but I guess according to June 18thers anything goes.
You did well on the SB.. we'll round up to a 70%:)

Hey guys!

Retaking on July 22! I previously took April 23, 2016 exam and got a 502 (128/121/125/128). Got murdered by CARS. So I've been working on CARS and content review for everything else. Any tips for me moving forward?! I seem to be struggling with CARS, physics, and the data analysis portion on the bio/biochem section.

Also where are you guys getting your FL's? I burned through most of them already since I took my exam April. I have all of the TPR total 11 (2 left). I got 3 free kaplan (1 left). Next Step 1 free. And I will be retaking all of the AAMC FL's. Didn't burn through the section banks and questions last time so a majority of those are still fresh! Also looking at the Khan Academy for practice passages and TPR Science Workbook!

Looking forward for what yall have to say!
What does 501 equate to on the old test?

i hate physics :/
got a 49% on the q pack (i'm not surprised lol)

gonna do a NS full length this week, AAMC scored next week for the 7/8 exam

Hey guys! How many FL exams have you all taken so far, and do you intend to take before the actual test? I was shooting to take 10 before the real thing, but i think I may need to substitute some FLs for content review. (my test is july 9)

i hate physics :/
got a 49% on the q pack (i'm not surprised lol)

gonna do a NS full length this week, AAMC scored next week for the 7/8 exam

I'm about to go through the first half and I'm dreading it. Outside of a few questions in the chemistry pack, it went better than expected. After physics I'm moving to the section banks which I feel is going to rip me a new one.

Hey guys! How many FL exams have you all taken so far, and do you intend to take before the actual test? I was shooting to take 10 before the real thing, but i think I may need to substitute some FLs for content review. (my test is july 9)

I'm also taking it July 9th and I'm hoping to get 3 NS and 3 EK FLs as well as the practice and scored from AAMC. I haven't taken any yet...

Hey guys. retaker here. Good luck everyone and I know we'll kill it. I also see a lot of you are focusing on relearning material, but I seriously cannot stress enough how much more important practice is than material. You know more than you know. And don't forget this is a recognition test. I got a 511 the first time, but with a breakdown of 128/128/123/132 ( had a panic attack during bio even though I had never gotten below a 127 before in any practice test :(. Recommendations: I was scoring a 126 in CARS about until 2 weeks before exams. I then want through the question banks every problem for CARS and it was incredible. I just "understood" how formulaic each passage was. As far as psych goes, write definitions down for every term you don't know in a practice test. (that includes the other options of the multiple choice even if not correct). Also KA is better than anything else out there for that section. Chem/physics: there are only so many formulas so know them all. Didn't find the chem/physics QB were that good. Best material on that were NS/AAMC tests/SB. Bio (I know, why would you listen to someone who got a 123), I stress more practice. Apart from doing practice tests, I will mainly be focusing on doing Khan passages. I did Khan for psych and you can see it really helped. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 5 users
I've taken about 8 full lengths (NS 1-3, AAMC unscored, and 4 Kaplan FLs) so far since end of april/beginning of may. I plan on taking NS 4 and AAMC scored before test day. I'll probably squeeze in a couple section tests as well.

I just took NS1 today and I felt strange that I finished early as well. ~25 mins left with BB and ~40 mins with BS. I got a 127 on BB and 126 on BS with minimal studying. PS I had a few mins left over but it's my worst section (125). My exams July 22nd. If you can let me know if you developed any strategies I'd appreciate it! :) hopefully I have enough time.

Hey guys,

First time poster in this thread but I have been preparing for the July 8th MCAT as well.

Yesterday I took my first FL (NS1, 127/125/127/127) and have a few questions:

1) I have not taken Physics 2 yet and will not be able to until the fall semester. I am an Orgo TA and a Gen Chem Tutor, so even though I missed at least half of the Physics questions (circuits, electro, fluids, etc.), I still got a 127 on the section due to getting most of the gen chem stuff right. Do y'all think I should just go through the Khan Videos a few more times and try and memorize those equations or what? I understand the very basics of the principles, but not nearly as thoroughly and analytically as the chemistry related topics. It seemed like I missed nearly every Physics 2 related calculation.

2) I have always been a very fast test taker, but yesterday seemed a little much. I finished the PS with 48 minutes left, BB with 38 minutes left and BS with 41 minutes still to go. I honestly wasn't rushing to get it done, but I have the tendency to almost always miss questions when I go against my gut instinct, but what do you guys think I should do regarding the passages and extracting more information from then? I am honestly rather pleased with how it went because almost all of my questions missed were lapses in my content knowledge, not because I didn't know what was going on. That is why I think I was done so quickly was because I either knew it or I didn't, there wasn't really an in-between. Due to doing research full-time, and being a scribe as well, my content review is taking longer than I was expecting, but I didn't want to wait another week or two to get the full exam experience.

3) Lastly, CARS is kicking my butt. It's always been my kryptonite (I got 35's on the ACT science and math, but a 24 on reading lol), but I really am trying my best to do what I can to improve. I've gone through over 100 TPRH passages, some EK passages, and just bought the CARS 1 and 2 AAMC packs. Is there any specific instance or "trick" that seemingly helped y'all turn it on all of a sudden?

Thanks guys and glad to be apart of this thread now. Almost down to 1 month!

hey guys im testing on 7/8

i've been averaging 502-503 on NS exams, got a 505 on the 1/2 length (sections ranging from 125-127) and I'm having trouble getting over the 127 mark for subsections...any suggestions??

planning on taking another NS exam tomorrow

thanks!

Hi Everyone! I just finished the bio question bank. I was wondering if someone has a list of the restriction enzymes and the palindromic sequences that we need to know for the test?

Currently taking my first practice test since I took the MCAT 2 months ago. Hope I still remember as much as I did before though this NS exam seems tough... How have you guys been scoring on NS versus AAMC material? (already did AAMC material so not really indicative of score anymore)

79% on AAMC Chem QPacks. Figures since I blank out when electrochemistry or pcp rxn questions come up.
That's pretty good. When are you scheduled to write? July 8th or 22nd? I write July 22nd, and I still haven't started on the Q packs yet. Just purchased EK and hoping to do those questions first.

That's pretty good. When are you scheduled to write? July 8th or 22nd? I write July 22nd, and I still haven't started on the Q packs yet. Just purchased EK and hoping to do those questions first.

July 22nd. You should definitely start those Q packs and most importantly that SB. It is imperative that you do. Might start physics today. Not looking forward to it at all.

^Just reviewing my practice tests has been the greatest learning tool. It helped me get past 126-127. Some questions I missed were calculation errors or just silly mistakes, and some due to content. I made sure to read over/study certain topics I missed on practice exams. Also I focused more on test taking between tests, like reading slowly enough to avoid missing pertinent info and making sure I read all the answer choices etc. and use POE ( big fan of the strike-out feature).

Which practice tests are you using?

^I've heard 4 is the best. I only did 3. It was good, but lots of tricks in there that I didn't feel included in their tests. Still probably the best practice tests i've taken that's not AAMC (have done 4 companies)

Reactions: 1 users
I was doing Kaplan and didn't like them so much. Not enough graphs/data interpreting kind of stuff. Is the C/P on EK calculation-heavy too or on par with AAMC SB?

Welp, just got a 509: 127/125/128/129 on NS 3. Not too surprised about the reading section being low. REALLY different feel than the AAMC material (not as many details to memorize in AAMC). Definitely need to review that, but if other people have been scoring low on it as well, really not comparable to AAMC. Felt the length of those were comparable to what showed on my MCAT the first time aroudn. But I'm just more happy about Bio :) hope to get at least a 126 on the MCAT this time around after the 123 the first time, so definitely on the right track