**The Official July 2016 MCAT Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ad2b

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Created.

July 8 exam = August 9 release date

Members don't see this ad.

I was doing Kaplan and didn't like them so much. Not enough graphs/data interpreting kind of stuff. Is the C/P on EK calculation-heavy too or on par with AAMC SB?

Eh. I was surprised by the amount of calculations when I took the MCAT on 4/23. Haven't taken Kaplan so can't comment on that. I can say that though NS goes a little calculation heavy, but EK was somewhere in the middle of NS and AAMC, which turned out to be just what came out on test day ;) EK's chem/physics is a little ridiculous. Think I got somewhere around 58% or something like that and got a 128 on the real thing. The best part of EK is their bio section and analysis which is second to none

Reactions: 1 user
Again, EK had a LOT of trick questions on their exam. Once you get past that, their content and question format is great.

This is from TPR FL 1. I understand the concept behind the question that the correct step will have the addition of a hydrogen atom, but I couldn't figure out which step it is and the explanation does not help. Could someone possibly explain where/how the hydrogen atom was added?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 3.58.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 3.58.49 PM.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 3.58.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 3.58.54 PM.png
    41 KB · Views: 32
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the difference between atypical antipsychotic drugs and neuroleptics?

took NS 5 today and got a 507 (126/126/128/127)-pretty happy with this score since i scored a 503 on NS 4 last week

my plan for the next two weeks until 7/8 is section banks, NS 6, aamc scored and a bunch of verbal passages!

took NS 5 today and got a 507 (126/126/128/127)-pretty happy with this score since i scored a 503 on NS 4 last week

my plan for the next two weeks until 7/8 is section banks, NS 6, aamc scored and a bunch of verbal passages!

Nice! My plan is very similar. I have to decide if I should do NS6, an EK exam, or both. Might be nice to get a different approach from a different company with regards to practice exams. I have 3 days of work, all that go late into the night so I won't be able to wake up the next day to do a practice exam. Time is so limited! Definitely have made time for SB/AAMC scored and verbal though!

Hey does anyone understand question 111 on physics question back? How is square root of 1/2 equal to Square root of 2 suddenly? Thanks in advance

This is from TPR FL 1. I understand the concept behind the question that the correct step will have the addition of a hydrogen atom, but I couldn't figure out which step it is and the explanation does not help. Could someone possibly explain where/how the hydrogen atom was added?

It comes from a hydride (H-) nucleophile from NADH. Whenever you see NADH -> NAD+, something is getting reduced (in this case a C-O bond turns into a C-H bond).

It comes from a hydride (H-) nucleophile from NADH. Whenever you see NADH -> NAD+, something is getting reduced (in this case a C-O bond turns into a C-H bond).

Yeah, I know it comes from the NADH, but where does it end up on Step 4? Is it added to the carbonyl oxygen that becomes an OH?

Yeah, I know it comes from the NADH, but where does it end up on Step 4? Is it added to the carbonyl oxygen that becomes an OH?

Yes. A hydride attack (as mentioned above) is a nucleophile attack on the electrophillic carbonyl. This is a common way to make an alcohol from a carbonyl compound.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Took the NS-FL 1 and got a 506 (126/126/126/128). I am taking the July 9th MCAT and looking to score at least 510.
I'm kind of nervous about my scores and dont know if I should push back my test some so I can get more practice in?
Any advice with people taking NS and other FL would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Welp, just got a 509: 127/125/128/129 on NS 3. Not too surprised about the reading section being low. REALLY different feel than the AAMC material (not as many details to memorize in AAMC). Definitely need to review that, but if other people have been scoring low on it as well, really not comparable to AAMC. Felt the length of those were comparable to what showed on my MCAT the first time aroudn. But I'm just more happy about Bio :) hope to get at least a 126 on the MCAT this time around after the 123 the first time, so definitely on the right track
Everyone does worse on that CARS than any other NS tests. For some reason they made that one terrible. Although my real test felt about at that difficulty. :/ Really nice score!

What did you do in the week between NS 4 and 5? I would love to score higher than a 503 on my last NS next week.

What did you do in the week between NS 4 and 5? I would love to score higher than a 503 on my last NS next week.

Not much honestly I think I was just more conditioned to taking the test this week and my body was finally used to sitting down for 7 hours--also I realized I was missing questions that were literally explicitly stated in the passage so I guess I spent more time reading the passages than normal!

Good luck! You can do it!! I hope to bump up a few more points on NS 6 next week! I really want a 510 at least on test day

Took the NS-FL 1 and got a 506 (126/126/126/128). I am taking the July 9th MCAT and looking to score at least 510.
I'm kind of nervous about my scores and dont know if I should push back my test some so I can get more practice in?
Any advice with people taking NS and other FL would be appreciated!

I'm in the same boat as you, I got a 507 on NS 5 yesterday and I really want to score a 510 on test day-I'm planning on taking NS 6 next week and hopefully an EK exam too before AAMC scored I've heard NS deflates scores but not sure by how much :/

I'm in the same boat as you, I got a 507 on NS 5 yesterday and I really want to score a 510 on test day-I'm planning on taking NS 6 next week and hopefully an EK exam too before AAMC scored I've heard NS deflates scores but not sure by how much :/

AAMC is the best predictor. Some people score 505's on NS, then get 510 on the scored. Some score 505 on NS, get 500 on the scored. It's really variable because NS is not exactly the style of the AAMC. Generally NS is much closer than other prep companies, but definitely rely on the AAMC to figure out where you are at -- most people score within +/- 4 of their scored or so.

I'm about to go through the first half and I'm dreading it. Outside of a few questions in the chemistry pack, it went better than expected. After physics I'm moving to the section banks which I feel is going to rip me a new one.

I'm also taking it July 9th and I'm hoping to get 3 NS and 3 EK FLs as well as the practice and scored from AAMC. I haven't taken any yet...

Okay well you've finished content review right? since it's so close to July 9, do you plan on taking tests every other day? I never finished content review smdh so that's what I'm focusing on now. My practice test scores have been stagnant so I'm attributing it to the fact that I never finished content review.

NS or EK?

Hey yall, so if I had to choose between NS and EK, which one should I take? I've mostly been using TPR (Course Test 1-5), and now want to take tests that are more representative of the AAMC tests (which I'm saving for last).

NS or EK?

Hey yall, so if I had to choose between NS and EK, which one should I take? I've mostly been using TPR (Course Test 1-5), and now want to take tests that are more representative of the AAMC tests (which I'm saving for last).

If you've taken 5 already, I would probably do the free NS FL1 and then just buy EK 3 and then 4 if you feel like you want it. Not sure if you're testing 7/8 or 7/22 but I don't think it's worth it to buy the NSFL1-4 at this stage of the game (especially considering FL1 is free)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm worried about CARS.. I finished the q-banks and got 70% and 73% on them. Scary since people tend to do worse on the real thing.

AAMC is the best predictor. Some people score 505's on NS, then get 510 on the scored. Some score 505 on NS, get 500 on the scored. It's really variable because NS is not exactly the style of the AAMC. Generally NS is much closer than other prep companies, but definitely rely on the AAMC to figure out where you are at -- most people score within +/- 4 of their scored or so.

I took aamc scored last month around May 15th and got a 501 (126/123/127/125) so since then i've been working on bringing up my CARS which has been consistently at a 126 on my last few NS exams

I'll probably retake the aamc scored next friday-although my score might be inflated since I've taken it and reviewed it lightly before

If you've taken 5 already, I would probably do the free NS FL1 and then just buy EK 3 and then 4 if you feel like you want it. Not sure if you're testing 7/8 or 7/22 but I don't think it's worth it to buy the NSFL1-4 at this stage of the game (especially considering FL1 is free)

Oh no, I just meant that i'm taking one of either company lol. As in, I'm either gonna pay to take 1 EK, OR take the free NS test.

Okay well you've finished content review right? since it's so close to July 9, do you plan on taking tests every other day? I never finished content review smdh so that's what I'm focusing on now. My practice test scores have been stagnant so I'm attributing it to the fact that I never finished content review.

I did earlier this week but after doing some section bank stuff I don't feel ready. I know it's supposed to be harder but I didn't even get 50% on biological section. Some was just basic stuff but a lot was the interpreting of the data which I don't think I'm going to have time to get better at in a couple of weeks so I moved my test since the deadline was so close. I probably can't apply this year but I don't want to take this test again.

I did earlier this week but after doing some section bank stuff I don't feel ready. I know it's supposed to be harder but I didn't even get 50% on biological section. Some was just basic stuff but a lot was the interpreting of the data which I don't think I'm going to have time to get better at in a couple of weeks so I moved my test since the deadline was so close. I probably can't apply this year but I don't want to take this test again.
Aw man you already pushed it back? I understand where you're coming from. This will be my second time applying. And last time prayerfully. Im not sure I can go through all of this again lol. But take a practice test and see where you're at! No one knows your app better than you do. Depending on your gpa and extra curriculars and etc you may be a prime candidate! I plan to submit my app in mid July. After a practice test you can see where you're at and if you want to still apply or just wait a year. I've literally pushed my test back 5 times this year lol. My original date was may 14 and now I'm taking it July 9. Listen to your gut and do what feels right! :)

Aw man you already pushed it back? I understand where you're coming from. This will be my second time applying. And last time prayerfully. Im not sure I can go through all of this again lol. But take a practice test and see where you're at! No one knows your app better than you do. Depending on your gpa and extra curriculars and etc you may be a prime candidate! I plan to submit my app in mid July. After a practice test you can see where you're at and if you want to still apply or just wait a year. I've literally pushed my test back 5 times this year lol. My original date was may 14 and now I'm taking it July 9. Listen to your gut and do what feels right! :)

Unfortunately, my GPA isn't great and I only had a day or so left to decide so I figured it would be best. I'm focusing mainly on DO so applying this year may not be completely out of the question but we'll see. Good luck with your test though.

Another day, another 504 (NSFL6)... I felt this exam was VERY unrepresentative of AAMC now that I've been doing more AAMC material. C/P section was really weird; a lot of stuff seemed just way too "out there" to be realistic on what AAMC would ask. Often times the passages seemed worthless, but on AAMC stuff there is always useful information in the text. I would not recommend the NS 1-6 package to anyone reading this thread for advice, the 1-4 package is better. All of the NS steps seem to get progressively harder as well, which doesn't seem to make much sense considering it's supposed to be the same test. NS1 was my diagnostic so I get my lower score on that, NS3 I fluked CARS, but otherwise it seems that everything has been much harder. Some of the questions stems and answers in this NS6 were ridiculous, even harder than anything I've ran across in the SB so far (done all of C/P, half of P/S).

Scores:

[5/21] NS1: 503 (126/124/125/128); 60% correct
[5/27] NS2: 507 (127/128/126/126); 66% correct
[6/1] AAMC unscored: 506-7 (estimated 126/126-7/126/128); 70% correct (64%/73%/63%/81%)
[6/8] NS3: 501 (wtf CARS?) (125/123/126/127); 55% correct
[6/14] NS4: 505 (127/125/125/128); 61% correct
[6/17] NS5: 504 (126/125/126/127); 63% correct
C/P SB: 67%
P/S SB: 67% (only halfway done so far)
[6/24] NS6: 504 (125/125/126/128); 60% correct

Going to do EK3 on 6/28, AAMC scored FL on July 1, then it's game time. I actually feel somewhat ready. 506+ doesn't seem unrealistic at all!

Reactions: 4 users
The worst part about taking the MCAT again is that all the great AAMC material isn't "new" anymore. I already remember so many of the answers and passages that I don't really feel like I am practicing my "test taking" skills anymore. But I guess there is nothing I can do at this point except hope for the best.

And room for thought Hospitalized on the NS tests: They make their score based on people who have taken them. Now I'm not disagreeing with your argument that 5 and 6 are crap (haven't taken them yet so cannot comment), but your score may be underinflated. There is a definite correlation between amount of exams taken, study time, dedication, and scoring on MCAT. so the later NS exams, only pretty dedicated people have taken those exams. Which leads me to think that the curve is probably worse on them than the earlier ones. so while your score didn't necessarily go up, you probably still did improve :) hope that makes you feel better (and by the way, 67% on SB is REALLY good). You got this

By Chem/Phys SB do you mean the question packs that the AAMC extracted from the old Mcat exams? I know there is a BC and Psych/soc SB.

Another day, another 504 (NSFL6)... I felt this exam was VERY unrepresentative of AAMC now that I've been doing more AAMC material. C/P section was really weird; a lot of stuff seemed just way too "out there" to be realistic on what AAMC would ask. Often times the passages seemed worthless, but on AAMC stuff there is always useful information in the text. I would not recommend the NS 1-6 package to anyone reading this thread for advice, the 1-4 package is better. All of the NS steps seem to get progressively harder as well, which doesn't seem to make much sense considering it's supposed to be the same test. NS1 was my diagnostic so I get my lower score on that, NS3 I fluked CARS, but otherwise it seems that everything has been much harder. Some of the questions stems and answers in this NS6 were ridiculous, even harder than anything I've ran across in the SB so far (done all of C/P, half of P/S).

Scores:

[5/21] NS1: 503 (126/124/125/128); 60% correct
[5/27] NS2: 507 (127/128/126/126); 66% correct
[6/1] AAMC unscored: 506-7 (estimated 126/126-7/126/128); 70% correct (64%/73%/63%/81%)
[6/8] NS3: 501 (wtf CARS?) (125/123/126/127); 55% correct
[6/14] NS4: 505 (127/125/125/128); 61% correct
[6/17] NS5: 504 (126/125/126/127); 63% correct
C/P SB: 67%
P/S SB: 67% (only halfway done so far)
[6/24] NS6: 504 (125/125/126/128); 60% correct

Going to do EK3 on 6/28, AAMC scored FL on July 1, then it's game time. I actually feel somewhat ready. 506+ doesn't seem unrealistic at all!

Do any of you know when is the last day to sign up for the July 9th exam? I know the bronze deadline is tonight, but I can't find when it the last day is to sign up with the fee increase. I can't lose another $115 if I don't hit a 505 on NS 4 next week :vomit:

Do any of you know when is the last day to sign up for the July 9th exam? I know the bronze deadline is tonight, but I can't find when it the last day is to sign up with the fee increase. I can't lose another $115 if I don't hit a 505 on NS 4 next week :vomit:

Bronze deadline is next Friday, I think, and that is also the last day to register for July 9th.

By Chem/Phys SB do you mean the question packs that the AAMC extracted from the old Mcat exams? I know there is a BC and Psych/soc SB.

Nope, I mean this. Specifically designed for the new exam. This is an absolute MUST, as recommended by people who have taken the exam since they were released. My impression is that understanding the SB and scored exam is the key to success.

And room for thought Hospitalized on the NS tests: They make their score based on people who have taken them. Now I'm not disagreeing with your argument that 5 and 6 are crap (haven't taken them yet so cannot comment), but your score may be underinflated. There is a definite correlation between amount of exams taken, study time, dedication, and scoring on MCAT. so the later NS exams, only pretty dedicated people have taken those exams. Which leads me to think that the curve is probably worse on them than the earlier ones. so while your score didn't necessarily go up, you probably still did improve :) hope that makes you feel better (and by the way, 67% on SB is REALLY good). You got this

I have this suspicion as well. They can only build the scale off of people who take them, and the 5-6 are not taken by many from what I've seen on this site. I do feel that I've improved a lot at my test-taking skills, I will say NS boosts your ability in that regard. I would say 75-80% of the time I'm able to get an answer down to 2 choices. I guess I'm just very optimisitic about everything also -- I've put in a lot of time for this test and feel that my scores are where they should be based on my preparation and ability. I've never been a great standardized test taking, and I'm not someone who's looking for a crazy MCAT score to make up for anything. My application is otherwise solid and I just need to complete this piece of the puzzle.

I will say that I have a lot of confidence and I think that is helpful. Another thing I started doing this most recent test is making a conscious effort to always keep my feet apart and flat on the floor, my back off of the chair, and quick 5-10 second breaks between passages (eyes closed, deep breath, reset, go). I know it sounds stupid and minute, but this helps keeps me focused and refreshed throughout the sections. I learned this from the EK CARS book which I neglected to read until now, but I think it's actually an awesome book because it tells you some very subtle things that are really important in being successful in a situation like the MCAT. I know I was always slouched over, crossing my feet, and wandering off during CARS because I was subconsciously bored out of my mind. While I continue to be bored out of my mine, maintaining good posture at least tricks my mind into focusing. And taking a break between each passage is good -- I can't even count the number of times I've had to go back and read a paragraph in CARS because I didn't know wtf was going on. Well, taking a small break helped me a lot this past test. I definitely decreased the amount of re-reading. Going to keep practicing this tactic up until my test.

We got this July test takers! **** this beast!

So I studied some psych last night.. This morning my alarm goes off at 5:30 and I decide to snooze it, as I went back into sleep I started dreaming of "someone" watching me sleep and saying, "I knew it, she is only doing it from extrinsic motivation and not really wanting it hard enough", and I pop out of my sleep yelling "No! It's intrinsic motivation!!" And I jump out of my sleep in real life lol that definitely got my ass up.

Guess I should take the motivation anyway I can get it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
I've taken 8 practice tests (1 Kaplan, 4 EK, 2 NS and the AAMC Unscored). I took Kaplan and EK back in May. I'm just doing NS5 and the Scored before 7/8. I decided to take NS 4 and 6 as sections to work on timing and strategy. I took NS 3 C/P for practice.

Does anyone understand how a double bond is formed on answer choice b referring to AAMC scored exam, physical section? Thanks

Anyone else start to get antsy halfway through P/S? Like oh **** this test is almost over. I do that every practice test...

Reactions: 2 users
It's good for practice tests, but for the real thing I feel like I'm going to be like "****... I have to wait a whole month to know how I just did on this..."

I feel like I will be relieved/happy for a couple of days since I will be done studying, but then the worry will sink in haha. I'm just going to keep myself busy with my EC's and work!

I feel like I will be relieved/happy for a couple of days since I will be done studying, but then the worry will sink in haha. I'm just going to keep myself busy with my EC's and work!

I'm working 14 out of 22 days after my test in July, and also going to a 3-day music festival. So I'll have a total of 3 days with nothing to do, all of which will be days after a night shift. Gonna be making bank AND distracted. :p

In other words, 70% on P/S SB. So much random I can't even.