The official MCAT May 20th 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sofpink

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else will be taking the MCAT on May 20 2016. I would like some support, input, and help on your MCAT strategies I am only studying 2 hours a day for the MCAT, as I am taking a full load semester. Anyone else in this track?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
519. I'm in shock. I can post more later if anyone is interested in my practice etc... I truly wish you all the best!!!! WOOO!!!

Ok. Initial euphoria has subsided a little.

My score breakdown was 130/129/130/130.

I studied primarily using Kaplan and KA materials, I took exclusively kaplan, NS, and AAMC tests. I studied during a full course load semester (I do not recommend this) but managed to get in approximately 300 total hours. On average I studied about 4 hours a day, where some days I would do 1-2 hours, some 3-4, and others 7-8 when taking FLs, with a day off each week. Block out your study time if you are trying to prepare with other things on your plate. Otherwise, study like it is a job if it is your only responsibility. I went through content in tandem (Ch 1 orgo, gen chem, phys, etc... move onto Ch 2). I took about 2 months for content, which was not quite enough to get through it all due to my full course load.

Practice Test Scores and Dates

k diag- 497 1/1/16
ns diag- 507 2/23/16
k fl 1- 500 2/29/16
k fl 2- 505 4/3/16
k fl 3- 506 4/6/16
k fl 4- 505 4/10/16
k fl 5- 507 4/16/16
ns fl 1- 513 4/20/16
ns fl 3- 508 4/24/16
unscored- 83%,91%,92%,87% 5/1/16
ns fl 4- 509 5/6/16
scored- 520 5/16/16
- guide questions (73%, 86%, 76%, 90%)
- section bank bb (75%)
- section bank cp (84%)
- section bank ps (73%)
- qpack 1 CARS (80%)
- qpack 2 CARS (77%)

If I could do it again --->

I could have condensed this down to 4 months or less, I think it ended up being around 5 months of studying. I was burnt out towards the end and I lost some content from the beginning. I think 6-8 tests would have sufficed as opposed to the 10 I took, in exchange for more direct CARS and C/P practice and content review, although those are personal adjustments these are the type of things you have to think about.

I barely got through the section banks. It would have helped to give them more time, perhaps go through them twice. Make it through all your content books for the best shot to achieve the highest scores, but not at the cost of test/problem practice (this is the hard part, what I failed at). I certainly had content deficiencies due to a failure to complete my gen chem/org chem review books. Be smart with your studying, play to your strengths. I wasted valuable time reviewing neuro/physio concepts I already knew well enough. KA materials were excellent for P/S and some bio stuff too. If you have the time, watch all of them.

I cannot emphasize enough the necessity to diversify testing companies. I think I could have done better if I had seen EK or TPR material, and I certainly would have done worse had I not seen NS. The test is about preparing for applying a massive foundation of content to a problems/topics you have never seen before, and the best way to prepare for stuff you essentially can't prepare for is to diversify the materials/lines of thinking you are presented with. Take a practice test from every company you can.

I think another fundamental oft overlooked aspect of prep is psychological fortitude prior to and during the test. Sleeping the night before, and not being overly stressed during the test is critical for performing to the best of your abilities. I almost melted down during C/P, thought about voiding, and I am sure it affected my performance on CARS. Trust and believe in yourself, and know what you are capable of. There are many ways to do this, find what works for you. I reminded myself constantly of how far I had come, but I that was not quite enough for me. As many before me have said, this test does not define your life, your value, or who you are. It is an opportunity to take your life where you want to go, nothing more and nothing less.

Best of luck to you future test takers.

Oh that sucks :// If your GPA is 3.8-3.9, and your EC's are excellent, you could def have a shot ( I don't know how much) at low tier MD schools.

My GPA is a little below average (~3.4) but EC's are pretty unique and excellent with a focus on community service for ~6 years in a hospital setting. I'm putting more emphasis on my apps to Northstate and UCR but I'll be applying to other MD schools with an open mind. I like the DO philosophy so I don't mind only applying DO either but want to take a chance on MD this time as well.

Ok. Initial euphoria has subsided a little.

My score breakdown was 130/129/130/130.

I studied primarily using Kaplan and KA materials, I took exclusively kaplan, NS, and AAMC tests. I studied during a full course load semester (I do not recommend this) but managed to get in approximately 300 total hours. On average I studied about 4 hours a day, where some days I would do 1-2 hours, some 3-4, and others 7-8 when taking FLs, with a day off each week. Block out your study time if you are trying to prepare with other things on your plate. Otherwise, study like it is a job if it is your only responsibility. I went through content in tandem (Ch 1 orgo, gen chem, phys, etc... move onto Ch 2). I took about 2 months for content, which was not quite enough to get through it all due to my full course load.

Practice Test Scores and Dates

k diag- 497 1/1/16
ns diag- 507 2/23/16
k fl 1- 500 2/29/16
k fl 2- 505 4/3/16
k fl 3- 506 4/6/16
k fl 4- 505 4/10/16
k fl 5- 507 4/16/16
ns fl 1- 513 4/20/16
ns fl 3- 508 4/24/16
unscored- 83%,91%,92%,87% 5/1/16
ns fl 4- 509 5/6/16
scored- 520 5/16/16
- guide questions (73%, 86%, 76%, 90%)
- section bank bb (75%)
- section bank cp (84%)
- section bank ps (73%)
- qpack 1 CARS (80%)
- qpack 2 CARS (77%)

If I could do it again --->

I could have condensed this down to 4 months or less, I think it ended up being around 5 months of studying. I was burnt out towards the end and I lost some content from the beginning. I think 6-8 tests would have sufficed as opposed to the 10 I took, in exchange for more direct CARS and C/P practice and content review, although those are personal adjustments these are the type of things you have to think about.

I barely got through the section banks. It would have helped to give them more time, perhaps go through them twice. Make it through all your content books for the best shot to achieve the highest scores, but not at the cost of test/problem practice (this is the hard part, what I failed at). I certainly had content deficiencies due to a failure to complete my gen chem/org chem review books. Be smart with your studying, play to your strengths. I wasted valuable time reviewing neuro/physio concepts I already knew well enough. KA materials were excellent for P/S and some bio stuff too. If you have the time, watch all of them.

I cannot emphasize enough the necessity to diversify testing companies. I think I could have done better if I had seen EK or TPR material, and I certainly would have done worse had I not seen NS. The test is about preparing for applying a massive foundation of content to a problems/topics you have never seen before, and the best way to prepare for stuff you essentially can't prepare for is to diversify the materials/lines of thinking you are presented with. Take a practice test from every company you can.

I think another fundamental oft overlooked aspect of prep is psychological fortitude prior to and during the test. Sleeping the night before, and not being overly stressed during the test is critical for performing to the best of your abilities. I almost melted down during C/P, thought about voiding, and I am sure it affected my performance on CARS. Trust and believe in yourself, and know what you are capable of. There are many ways to do this, find what works for you. I reminded myself constantly of how far I had come, but I that was not quite enough for me. As many before me have said, this test does not define your life, your value, or who you are. It is an opportunity to take your life where you want to go, nothing more and nothing less.

Best of luck to you future test takers.

So your C/P was awful too right? I almost voided after that bc even though it's my hardest section, I felt as though I was hit by a hammer during the test. Also, do you think NS 1 was inflated? I took NS 1 a few days before my exam on June18th and scored a 514, yet I scored a 509 on the scored about 2 weeks prior to that. Right now I"m expecting a 490 haha

My GPA is a little below average (~3.4) but EC's are pretty unique and excellent with a focus on community service for ~6 years in a hospital setting. I'm putting more emphasis on my apps to Northstate and UCR but I'll be applying to other MD schools with an open mind. I like the DO philosophy so I don't mind only applying DO either but want to take a chance on MD this time as well.

This is going to be unpopular, but I don't get the hate for northstate. Sure it's a for profit school, but isn't Rocky Vista U? And RVU is one of the better DO schools i've heard. I"m also applying to Cal Northstate, and people keep telling me that's a bad idea. But we'll see!
Also, are you from the Inland Empire? I was born in Riverside!

Reactions: 1 user
Real MCAT: 514 (129, 127, 130, 128)
Scored AAMC: 512 (129, 128, 128, 127)
Unscored AAMC: (63%, 87%, 76%, 73%)

Stressing out all day for these scores was so worth it....

I thought C/P was the hardest- very chem-y-, definitely thought I would do horribly. B/B was really easy. Verbal was weird. And P/S was not bad but concepts that weren't in the practice, section bank or EK.

bit worried that my score is unbalanced :(

I thought C/P was the hardest- very chem-y-, definitely thought I would do horribly. B/B was really easy. Verbal was weird. And P/S was not bad but concepts that weren't in the practice, section bank or EK.

Why do you think your score is unbalanced? It looks pretty balanced to me.

I'm pretty sure "unbalanced" refers to when your overall score is so high it masks a poor section. At least that's how I've always viewed it. Not when your scores are high and higher lol. You're good!

I'm pretty sure "unbalanced" refers to when your overall score is so high it masks a poor section. At least that's how I've always viewed it. Not when your scores are high and higher lol. You're good!
Really? Ok thanks, that makes me feel better

Members don't see this ad :)

Would my 128/124/130/127 count as unbalanced? As far as percentages go it's 87/49/97/78 which is where there's a really apparent difference. I have lots of ECs/confident in my LORs/cGPA of 3.85 and BPCM of 3.8

I'm applying to mostly lower tier private schools (because I'm from Missouri). Thoughts on schools/retaking the MCAT?

526. So so shocked. 132/130/132/132. Still in disbelief.

AAMC Scored Full Length: 521 (two weeks prior)
Kaplan Full Length: 513 (beginning of prep)

I took the MCAT three years ago, and it will just have expired by the time I apply. Old score was a 36. Been out of the sciences for two years since undergrad, so pretty pumped that the self-studying worked out.

Reactions: 3 users
526. So so shocked. 132/130/132/132. Still in disbelief.

AAMC Scored Full Length: 521 (two weeks prior)
Kaplan Full Length: 513 (beginning of prep)

I took the MCAT three years ago, and it will just have expired by the time I apply. Old score was a 36. Been out of the sciences for two years since undergrad, so pretty pumped that the self-studying worked out.
Why didn't you apply with your old score?

508 (CP: 127/CARS: 128/BB: 126/PS: 127)
not happy with these numbers at all.
Should I even bother applying at this point?

Lol we have very similar numbers.
507 (CP: 126. CARS: 127 BB: 128 PS: 126

I on the other hand was through the roof excited with my score lmao

I mean, I've been told a 506 is equivalent to a 30 on the old scale. It all depends on your GPA, extracurrics, personal statement, etc but I don't see why you don't have a good shot at getting in somewhere this cycle?

Lol we have very similar numbers.
507 (CP: 126. CARS: 127 BB: 128 PS: 126

I on the other hand was through the roof excited with my score lmao

I mean, I've been told a 506 is equivalent to a 30 on the old scale. It all depends on your GPA, extracurrics, personal statement, etc but I don't see why you don't have a good shot at getting in somewhere this cycle?

A 508 is a low 30, so I think a 506 is probably a 29. 507 is between a 29 and 30. Still good score though!

I think a 502 is less than a 27, so the fact that you decreased a bit is concerning. Were you getting good scores on your AAMC practice exams? Most DO schools want a 505, so a 502 for MD is pretty low. If you have a killer GPA you may be able to get interviews at the georgia state schools.

Thanks for the response!

502 was said to be a 60% whereas my 27 is ranked 61%, so the difference seems negligible. I would apply DO, but I think it would be obvious in my application that DO is my second choice since I haven't shadowed any DOs. Based on their website, Mercer-- which only accepts GA residents-- seems like they will consider graduate coursework/GPA over undergrad BCPM GPA, but maybe I misinterpreted.

"An invitation to submit a Secondary Application is also sent to applicants with an earned graduate degree and an average MCAT percentile rank of at least 27, regardless of Cumulative Undergraduate BCPM-GPA."

Thanks for the response!

502 was said to be a 60% whereas my 27 is ranked 61%, so the difference seems negligible. I would apply DO, but I think it would be obvious in my application that DO is my second choice since I haven't shadowed any DOs. Based on their website, Mercer-- which only accepts GA residents-- seems like they will consider graduate coursework/GPA over undergrad BCPM GPA, but maybe I misinterpreted.

"An invitation to submit a Secondary Application is also sent to applicants with an earned graduate degree and an average MCAT percentile rank of at least 27, regardless of Cumulative Undergraduate BCPM-GPA."

A lot of DO schools don't require a letter from a DO! I would apply both MD and DO. Tbh, it's going to be hard with the 502, because that's on the low side for some DO as well. If your GPA is stellar 3.8+ you may have a shot at Georgia. I have no idea about Mercer, but apply to your state schools!!

First time poster, long time lurker. Thanks to all in this thread who have eased the stress of this journey!

Real MCAT: 511 (128/127/128/128)
PR Demo: 495
PR Course 1: 503
PR Course 2: 501
PR Course 3: 501
PR Course 4: 502
PR Course 5: 506
PR Complete 1: 506
PR Complete 2: 503
PR Review 1: 504
AAMC Scored 2 days before: 517 (took it once in Nov 2015 and got a 506 so this isn't totally reflective)
AAMC Sample 1 week before: 76%,81%,85%,85%

Question for anyone:
Any opinion on what kind of medical school this combination may be competitive for? Applying with a 4.0 BCPM and 3.98 overall with pretty good extracurriculars (imo), submitted on 7th and verified, applied to a variety of schools ranging from in state to private (reach) schools.

Thanks again to y'all for making this beast a little bit more bearable, cheers to finishing.

First time poster, long time lurker. Thanks to all in this thread who have eased the stress of this journey!

Real MCAT: 511 (128/127/128/128)
PR Demo: 495
PR Course 1: 503
PR Course 2: 501
PR Course 3: 501
PR Course 4: 502
PR Course 5: 506
PR Complete 1: 506
PR Complete 2: 503
PR Review 1: 504
AAMC Scored 2 days before: 517 (took it once in Nov 2015 and got a 506 so this isn't totally reflective)
AAMC Sample 1 week before: 76%,81%,85%,85%

Question for anyone:
Any opinion on what kind of medical school this combination may be competitive for? Applying with a 4.0 BCPM and 3.98 overall with pretty good extracurriculars (imo), submitted on 7th and verified, applied to a variety of schools ranging from in state to private (reach) schools.

Thanks again to y'all for making this beast a little bit more bearable, cheers to finishing.

I know you took the scored twice, but why do you think you went from a 517 to 511? This worries me since I got a 509 on my scored. (I just took the june 18th mcat).

Yeah but I mean why didn't you apply back when you just took it
Oh yes sorry I misunderstood. I received a prestigious fellowship that covered the duration of a PhD in Medical Ethics. I'll be finishing up my thesis this year so I can start medical school in 2017. I didn't get the news about the fellowship/PhD acceptance until after I finished with the MCAT and right before I submitted AMCAS in 2013.

Oh yes sorry I misunderstood. I received a prestigious fellowship that covered the duration of a PhD in Medical Ethics. I'll be finishing up my thesis this year so I can start medical school in 2017. I didn't get the news about the fellowship/PhD acceptance until after I finished with the MCAT and right before I submitted AMCAS in 2013.
oh, ok

I know you took the scored twice, but why do you think you went from a 517 to 511? This worries me since I got a 509 on my scored. (I just took the june 18th mcat).
I think there were a couple of factors.
1) Much confidence because of the fact that I knew I had taken it and expected to get a higher score after studying.
2) Subconsciously recognizing the theme of a few difficult passages allowing me to dissect them more quickly and get to answering questions faster.
If I could make a recommendation to someone who is just beginning their studying it would be to not take the AAMC full length as a diagnostic and again as a review. No matter how many passages and questions you go through between you will still be at an advantage and not be truly taking the test for a reliable mark of where you might stand.

I think there were a couple of factors.
1) Much confidence because of the fact that I knew I had taken it and expected to get a higher score after studying.
2) Subconsciously recognizing the theme of a few difficult passages allowing me to dissect them more quickly and get to answering questions faster.
If I could make a recommendation to someone who is just beginning their studying it would be to not take the AAMC full length as a diagnostic and again as a review. No matter how many passages and questions you go through between you will still be at an advantage and not be truly taking the test for a reliable mark of where you might stand.

Wait, I'm confused. Haha sorry if I read it wrong, but you said that you felt more confident and were able to answer questions easier, so why did you drop 6 points? Are you saying that you consider the 517 to be inflated since you already took it?

Wait, I'm confused. Haha sorry if I read it wrong, but you said that you felt more confident and were able to answer questions easier, so why did you drop 6 points? Are you saying that you consider the 517 to be inflated since you already took it?
Sorry to be confusing. What I mean is I felt more confident taking the practice the second time than the first because I had seen it before. That's why I think it was inflated along with the fact that I recognized a few passages. Main point is I wouldn't be too concerned with my point drop there because that score wasn't "legit"

Sorry to be confusing. What I mean is I felt more confident taking the practice the second time than the first because I had seen it before. That's why I think it was inflated along with the fact that I recognized a few passages. Main point is I wouldn't be too concerned with my point drop there because that score wasn't "legit"

Oh gotcha! Haha I tried taking the scored again, but I remembered too much of it and I ended up just reviewing it.
I got a 509 on the scored when I took it the first time 2 weeks before the test, do most people in your opinion do a little better?

A lot of DO schools don't require a letter from a DO! I would apply both MD and DO. Tbh, it's going to be hard with the 502, because that's on the low side for some DO as well. If your GPA is stellar 3.8+ you may have a shot at Georgia. I have no idea about Mercer, but apply to your state schools!!

I think I will take your advice and investigate DO schools some more! My SMP GPA is a 3.849.

I think I will take your advice and investigate DO schools some more! My SMP GPA is a 3.849.

That's an amazing SMP gpa? Do you recommend one? I have a 3.7/3.4 bc of a bad semester, and I don't know if I should do an SMP, because I know they're hard.

Oh gotcha! Haha I tried taking the scored again, but I remembered too much of it and I ended up just reviewing it.
I got a 509 on the scored when I took it the first time 2 weeks before the test, do most people in your opinion do a little better?
Glad to clear it up. I can't say for sure, I've seen both. From perusing threads it generally seems like it could be plus or minus a couple points with a few outliers on both ends but usually a good indicator, myself included of course haha.

***not included

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any MD schools I could apply to with an MCAT of 500 a GPA and BCPM GPA of a 3.9. I am a New York resident with close ties to South Carolina and half hispanic. My EC's and research are all good I've been published and have a ton of research experience as well.

Does anyone know of any MD schools I could apply to with an MCAT of 500 a GPA and BCPM GPA of a 3.9. I am a New York resident with close ties to South Carolina and half hispanic. My EC's and research are all good I've been published and have a ton of research experience as well.

Have you thought about retaking? 500 is low for DO, and way too low for MD. I'm sure there are some people that get in with 500s each year, but they have some extraordinary ECs and experiences to bring to the table.

Have you thought about retaking? 500 is low for DO, and way too low for MD. I'm sure there are some people that get in with 500s each year, but they have some extraordinary ECs and experiences to bring to the table.

I was considering taking it again in August but now I'm not sure if I would make a significant improvement. If I take it in next year I will be taking it during my undergrad spring semester which is what I just did and it was really rough

Congrats to everyone. Y'all killed it. I am happy to see the people who suffered with me for months doing well. I hope people who are reading to take the exam again or for latter months, don't get discouraged. Not to take away from anyone's glory, y'all deserve it, but people posting on here are the top of the top. It's a response bias. So keep studying and retake if you have to!!! Fight the good fight for your dreams.

I was considering taking it again in August but now I'm not sure if I would make a significant improvement. If I take it in next year I will be taking it during my undergrad spring semester which is what I just did and it was really rough

You def have a shot at DO, especially with that gpa. But I really think you should consider a retake. Maybe you could study this summer hardcore when there's no school and take it in August. Statistic wise a 500 is hard to get into an MD school.

Finally out of work! I checked on my break and thankfully didnt freak out on people while I was waiting.
Scored a 512. 127 128 130 127.
Took last last year and had a 503. 125 126 126 126
AAMC scored this year was a 512.
I am overall extremely happy with my score. I am kind of shocked I scored higher on bio than cars. Cars has been my best section, without fail, every single practice test I have ever taken.

That's an amazing SMP gpa? Do you recommend one? I have a 3.7/3.4 bc of a bad semester, and I don't know if I should do an SMP, because I know they're hard.

That's a tough question to answer for you. Your GPA isn't so low that I would automatically say "yes" to doing a SMP. If it was <3.3 then I would say you should consider one, but 3.4 BCPM seems decent to me. Do you really feel you are at a huge disadvantage because of it? Do you have an upward trend after that bad semester? What is your MCAT score?

I think the SMP worked well for me because I went into it with a 3.12 GPA knowing that I had to overhaul my study habits. The hardest part was learning from my mistakes in undergrad; the material itself was manageable with enough review. Unfortunately, my MCAT score didn't improve to go along with my improved GPA...

That's a tough question to answer for you. Your GPA isn't so low that I would automatically say "yes" to doing a SMP. If it was <3.3 then I would say you should consider one, but 3.4 BCPM seems decent to me. Do you really feel you are at a huge disadvantage because of it? Do you have an upward trend after that bad semester? What is your MCAT score?

I think the SMP worked well for me because I went into it with a 3.12 GPA knowing that I had to overhaul my study habits. The hardest part was learning from my mistakes in undergrad; the material itself was manageable with enough review. Unfortunately, my MCAT score didn't improve to go along with my improved GPA...

My trend is U shaped- good first 2 years, bad first junior semester, and good next two years. So idk how that will look haha. I would have preferred to bump it up to 3.5, so I'm taking a few science classes these next to semesters just in case. Just took my MCAT and the C/P was killer haha I have no idea what my score could be.
I'm not sure if the science gpa will be a disadvantage. I am a TX resident, and TX heavily favours high gpa and lower mcat, which is frustrating.

Hey everyone, longtime lurker and first time poster! Not sure where to post this, but here seemed like a decent place since we all suffered through the test together!

I got a 506 (123/127/126/130) and am not super happy with it, especially with that horrible C/P score. I knew when I was taking the actual exam that I was going to do poorly on that section, but it's still a shock to see that. I'm really really really weak at physics and no matter how hard I study and get tutored, I can't get past the hump. I feel like I'm super variable on that section and it depends on the version of the test I'm taking. I'm also not amazing at chem, but I do pretty okay on that part. But of course I'm blindly optimistic and think that I can raise the subscore at least 1-2 points with hardcore studying it for 2 months.....

Right now I'm trying to decide if I should retake or just apply with my score. I know it's unbalanced, but I wouldn't retake until August and then wouldn't get my scores back until September, so my app wouldn't be reviewed until past then which would put me way behind.

For reference:

I have a 3.5GPA (both cumulative and science) from a very good school (I know the school isn't really taken into consideration, though)
Going onto 4 years of research with a paper on the way
Nurse aide - like a CNA - at an UofM Hospital ICU
President of a club that donates hats to kids battling cancer
Coordinator for Dance Marathon
Hospital volunteer for a year before I started working as a nurse aide
And then shadowing, some other odd jobs including working with a woman with CP, and advising including a residential program for women in science/engineering for 2 years and pre-med advising now

I do want to apply this cycle just because miracles do happen and I don't want to regret that I didn't at least try in 6 months from now, but what are my chances? Should I just apply with my score so my app will be reviewed right away, or should I retake?

I just took the June 18th exam, and C/P felt like it was torture, and others on here agreed with me. Traditionally, people who had very hard C/P sections got a generous curve. Did you feel super bad afterwards? Do you think the curve wasn't as generous?

Would my 128/124/130/127 count as unbalanced? As far as percentages go it's 87/49/97/78 which is where there's a really apparent difference. I have lots of ECs/confident in my LORs/cGPA of 3.85 and BPCM of 3.8

I'm applying to mostly lower tier private schools (because I'm from Missouri). Thoughts on schools/retaking the MCAT?
I'm not an expert, and that's just my understanding of unbalanced....yours might be... If it was 125 I would say no, and if it was 123 I would say yes. As for advising you on how to proceed, I'm not sure. Maybe try to talk to your pre-med advising, or seek out some SDN wisdom.

My MCAT score is 510 (131/125/130/124), my GPA is 3.945 and my sciences GPA is 4.0. I can explain my low CARS score since english is my second language (I am hispanic), however I do not have a way to explain my low psych/soc score (other than not studying in that area). I am trying to decide what to do next since there is not enough time to retake the MCAT. To which schools would you think I have good chances of being accepted?

I couldn't believe my score when I saw it, but I got a 524 (131/130/131/132).

I'm applying to 30 schools --should I add a few extra top-tier ones based on this score?

I couldn't believe my score when I saw it, but I got a 524 (131/130/131/132).

I'm applying to 30 schools --should I add a few extra top-tier ones based on this score?
I don't know your GPA, life, etc....but based off your MCAT? Reach for the stars! Apply to any "reach" that interests you!

Congrats everyone on your amazing scores!! I have a small question. I just graduated and decided to take a year off. I will be applying to medical school next cycle. I have been studying for MCAT since March. I signed up for July 22nd exam. Would it be better to postpone my exam to August to have more time to take additional practice exams? Any suggestions?
And after sitting for the exam, is there anything different you would have done to achieve a higher score???

Congrats everyone on your amazing scores!! I have a small question. I just graduated and decided to take a year off. I will be applying to medical school next cycle. I have been studying for MCAT since March. I signed up for July 22nd exam. Would it be better to postpone my exam to August to have more time to take additional practice exams? Any suggestions?
And after sitting for the exam, is there anything different you would have done to achieve a higher score???

I'd say wait until you're consistently hitting where you want score-wise on your practices then take it fairly soon after that. The MCAT is a ton of info to hold in your head and some of it may atrophy/stress might start to do a number if you wait too long. I know it did for me, I took it may 20 but honestly think I would have done better if i took may 6 or may 14 (started studying early Jan). HOWEVER, do not take it before you're ready and confident you can do well. I was surprised how much my scores jumped during my MCAT studying once I started getting the feel for the test and built up some confidence. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Actual MCAT: 504 (67th percentile) - 124/125/127/128

AAMC Scored: 503
NS 1: 507
NS2: 506
NS3: 504
NS4: 505

Was hoping for higher, but I guess it was fairly consistent with my practice scores. What do you guys think about my chances for MD? I have a 3.923 GPA, I'm a Division 1 athlete, and I have some other really stellar EC's as far as service, shadowing, and research/clinical experience goes. My state school is Indiana and I'm applying pretty broadly outside of that to 14 other schools.

Kaplan 1: 497 (after 1 month of studying)
Kaplan 2: 500
Kaplan 3: 504
AAMC Scored: 510 (1 week before the actual test)

Actual MCAT: 518 (97 percentile) - 130/128/129/131

I hope this shows that you shouldn't base all your testing confidence on practice scores. If you know you put in the time and effort and feel comfortable with the information than go for it. There is such a thing as overstudying. This was a retake, so I was glad to have improved from my old score of 30. What I learned and did differently:

1) Used the Kaplan Books for review and the Berkeley Review and Examkracker Verbal Passages books for practice problems.
2) Spent two months reviewing and two months doing practice problems and tests; I learned that half the battle is deciphering how the AAMC asks questions and tries to trick you. Once you learn how to answer questions, you will greatly improve the chances of guessing on questions you don't know. Practice. Practice. Practice. The AAMC question banks are awesome too!
3) Made flashcards to cement in the little details. This is especially important for psych/soc since most of the questions are based around knowing very specific definitions.
4) Made it my fulltime job. I woke up super early, packed my lunch, and went to my favorite study spot. Did not leave spot till lunch time. Went for mid day lifting session, and then studied till 8-9pm.
4) Did not cut out friends/family/social life this time. A good balance is healthy to maintain the mental energy to keep pushing. Sometime you just need to drop everything and go grab a beer.

Best of luck to everyone!