The official MCAT May 20th 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sofpink

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if anyone else will be taking the MCAT on May 20 2016. I would like some support, input, and help on your MCAT strategies I am only studying 2 hours a day for the MCAT, as I am taking a full load semester. Anyone else in this track?
 
Last edited:
So I have gotten several emails from aamc--- telling me that my transcripts have been received! (I have 5!) Omg, the one day I don't care about my transcripts. I had a little heart attack with every email!
 
My thoughts summed up by Twitter.
 

Attachments

  • image.png
    image.png
    180.1 KB · Views: 299
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ohmygodohmygodohmygod. Can't open it. Spent all day waiting and now I am terrified to click.

EDIT: Also, so much for that "We'll announce it on Twitter" business, right? Get it together, AAMC!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
126 (ouch)/131/128/130 for an overall score of 515! I'm happy with that, although that C/P score is... not great.

AAMC Scored FL practice test: 511
Estimated score from sample test: 512
TPR FL 2: 501 (took this two weeks before the real exam...totally freaked me out)
TPR FL 1: 504
I took more FL exams than this, but I lost access to some of the score info.

For prep, I took an Examkrackers course at my university. I also used a TPR Psych/Soc book and lots of Khan Academy.
 
509: 128/124/130/127

CARS can kindly get out of my life now :soexcited:

Kaplan tests: 496, 498, 500, 502
AAMC Practice: 508

Rushed myself/didn't give myself enough time on a passage and a half on CARS and being a biochem major/working in a lab helped exponentially in B/B.
 
126 (ouch)/131/128/130 for an overall score of 515! I'm happy with that, although that C/P score is... not great.

AAMC Scored FL practice test: 511
Estimated score from sample test: 512
TPR FL 2: 501 (took this two weeks before the real exam...totally freaked me out)
TPR FL 1: 504
I took more FL exams than this, but I lost access to some of the score info.

For prep, I took an Examkrackers course at my university. I also used a TPR Psych/Soc book and lots of Khan Academy.

Hey that's a great score! And I feel even more ouch cause my C/P was 125 :/ ......is that going to hurt me a lot?
 
New to SDN here, but used the site extensively to help relieve my anxiety about the test. Least I can do is give back.

Actual Score: 522 (130/130/132/130)

Practice Tests (in order taken)
TPR 1: 505
TPR 2: 506
Kaplan 1: 508
Kaplan 2: 506
Kaplan 3: 513
AAMC Unscored: 92% (98%/85%/90%/93%)
AAMC Scored: 523 (131/130/131/131)

Also did all of the AAMC Q banks and got about lower-mid 90% on each of them.

Thoughts on the actual test:

C/P: This was usually my best section and I felt terrible about it on the real test. Tough organic and tricky particle physics coupled with bad nerves made this section less than desirable. Plenty of biochem, which is my strong suit, though.

CARS: Of course, CARS is fickle. My scores were all over the place and my feelings about the section rarely predicted the score. I did think this section went well though. My passages weren’t too long or convoluted and the Qs were fair.

B/B: By far the easiest section on my exam. Absurdly easy, even, compared to C/P. Biochem heavy with gimme FSQ over biology and some general biochem principles with a good number of pseudo-FSQ in the passages.

P/S: This section seemed on par with AAMC material. I never felt like I did too well on this section, but always had good percentages and scores. The passages weren’t too long, but many of the details weren’t really needed. Still some topics/words I had never heard of.

Overall I had very mixed feelings walking out of the testing center. Some sections I was proud of, but I was worried about C/P.

I’m a little bummed that I was just shy of my practice test score, but I’m glad my score is evenly distributed and reflects my biochem major.
 
Anyone know what constitutes an unbalanced MCAT score?

Actual Test
512: 128/125/131/128
AAMC Scored FL
511: 127/128/128/128

I don't know how I scored so low on CAR... Maybe I was nervous. I also didn't like how the text was so much bigger on the computer during the actual test. It seemed like I was scrolling forever just to get the bottom of the passage. I was a little rushed on the last section, but I didn't think it would affect me that much.

I'm very pleased with my biology/biochemistry section though!
 
Last edited:
510 (128/126/128/128)

Overall I'm happy with it but wish I would've done better on CARS. It's over! Congrats everyone

AAMC scored 514 (130/128/128/128)
AAMC unscored 86.5% don't remember the breakdown.

If I could give any advice to people in the future it'd be don't let the stress get to you. I got maybe 2 hours of sleep the night before and think that really affected me in
 
Hey that's a great score! And I feel even more ouch cause my C/P was 125 :/ ......is that going to hurt me a lot?
As long as you have at least a 125, you should be fine!

For me, it's just kind of frustrating because I felt like I did well on that section at the time, and my score is not super-balanced. Together with my liberal arts major, I don't know what an adcom will think, but I would have liked to make it more clear that I know my s***.
 
As long as you have at least a 125, you should be fine!

For me, it's just kind of frustrating because I felt like I did well on that section at the time, and my score is not super-balanced. Together with my liberal arts major, I don't know what an adcom will think, but I would have liked to make it more clear that I know my s***.
Show them that in the interview. This test is sadistic! Congrats
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How badly is my 124 in CARS going to hurt me? It's pretty unbalanced since my other scores were
C/P: 128
B/B: 130
P/S: 127

Edit: My GPA before AMCAS calculates it is currently at 3.77. After AMCAS counts my HS Dual credit courses my cGPA will be ~3.86 and BPCM will be ~3.73
 
This is my first time to witness one of these MCAT result threads and I must say it is tragic! I would remind everyone here that you have just persevered through one of the most arduous tests ever created, a culmination of 16+ years of schooling. The very fact that you have made it this far is a testament to your abilities. Don't define your aptitudes on a 124 on the CARS section or an unbalanced score. If you feel you can do better, than go for it. If you feel that this score is your best, then go for it. Congratulations to everyone who managed to even take this damn test without going completely insane. God bless!
 
521 (130 131 130 130). Still shaking, I'm not entirely sure how this happened.

Edit: I've stopped shaking now. Writing study habits.

First thing I did was take the 1st Kaplan test, absolutely cold. Got a 500.
Started reading the Kaplan books, wasn't really getting anywhere, so I signed up for my school's super-cheap $200 class. It sucked so bad. Ended up biting the bullet and signing up for the Kaplan class.

Best thing about the Kaplan class was the sheer number of PBQs. Do PBQs, then do some more, then take a break. Then do more PBQs. That's basically my study habits in a nutshell.

After finals were out in early May, I took a deep dive into my previous practice exams, and studied my weak content areas. My practice tests were kind of sporadic, but I'll list them below.

500 Kaplan FL1 (12/2015, cold)
515 AAMC Practice Scored (mid-Jan)
506 Kaplan HL Diagnostic (Feb, start of Kaplan class)
508 Kaplan FL2 (April)
511 Kaplan FL3 (May)
85% Chem/Phys of AAMC Sample Test (May)
517 AAMC Scored (section a day, May)
 
Last edited: