2018 *** The Official Nova Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
where are you getting this from? http://dental-schools.startclass.com/ has it at 18 and 3.25. idk how recent those numbers are, but I couldn't find any class profile statistics on their page. I had a friend apply last year who had a December interview with an 18
That website is very old and the numbers are way off. The average dat score last year was almost a 21 and gpa of 3.77. an 18AA interview at nova. must have had some very impressive ECs and gpa. I would count him/her as an exception rather than the rule. A 3 point AA is a very big reach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From the official 2017-2018 ADEA guide. you can buy it online.
Most schools have their recent years class profiles with all the stats on there so I didn't buy that guide, but good to know. But note for other's reference worried about lower marks: Dec. interview friend had mediocre grades, maybe a 3.2 but from a pretty good school, and lots of shadowing and a dental mission trip. But she ended up not getting in.

Most schools have their recent years class profiles with all the stats on there so I didn't buy that guide, but good to know. But note for other's reference worried about lower marks: Dec. interview friend had mediocre grades, maybe a 3.2 but from a pretty good school, and lots of shadowing and a dental mission trip. But she ended up not getting in.
Yea its possible, you just have to shine at the interview. Mission trips would be considered a great EC - stands out very well.

Reactions: 1 user
i'm 22 and 3.8 but my interview got postponed from the hurricane unfortunately. anyone else in this situation/heard from them?

Do you guys think I have a chance at getting an interview from NOVA or any other schools?
OGPA/SGPA= 3.3/3.2
DAT AA/TS/PAT= 20/21/17
I would appreciate any feedback on how to improve my application if I did not get in this cycle :)

I think you have a chance if you didn't make any mistakes filling out your application. You would be surprised to know how many people get rejected based on something like that. I'll have to look for the youtube video made by UoP or ADEA, I can't remember who made it.There are so many reasons why you didn't get an interview, so just stay calm. My DAT was the same as yours, my oGPA and sGPA was lower than yours, however, I am currently working on a Masters (GPA 3.85) and I got an interview invite from NSU in August. So if you don't think you will get in, I encourage you to complete a Masters. There are 9 month and 12 month programs that are non-thesis based, which the dental schools do not seem to mind, that provide science coursework similar to the rigor in 1st and 2nd year medical/dental schools. Doing well in these programs can be used to demonstrate to the dental schools you can handle the coursework and prove to yourself if you're ready. Try Mississippi College, Barry University, etc. I currently go to Mississippi College, it's pretty boring out here but I stay busy just studying. Tufts seems to accept a handful of students from this program.... I was in a worse position than you last year, so keep your head up and stay positive! PM if you have questions!

Interview #1
School: Nova
Notification date: 8/25
Method of notification: email
Residency: FL
Application complete date: 7/20
GPA (science, overall) 3.82 sGPA/ 3.87 oGPA
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/26/20/21/none

well boys it looks like my interview on the 13th is cancelled... but how are the people doing down there? are things still looking grim?
upload_2017-9-11_17-43-47.png

well boys it looks like my interview on the 13th is cancelled... but how are the people doing down there? are things still looking grim?
View attachment 223435

Should we reschedule the interviews ourselves? Or wait for an email confirming that the interviews are cancelled, and that all interviews on x day will be rescheduled?

Edit: Called the number and it wasn't in service. I guess we have to wait.

Can't speak for Nova which is in Broward county but I go to school 30 min north of Nova in Palm Beach county and classes don't resume till Sept. 18th there.

Edit: A lot of the surrounding cities like Sunrise, and Plantation do not have power. I have no clue about Nova located in Davie... But if they're not answering phone calls, there is a high chance that there is no power. Just gotta wait! We've got a lot of clean up to do.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can't speak for Nova which is in Broward county but I go to school 30 min north of Nova in Palm Beach county and classes don't resume till Sept. 18th there.

Edit: A lot of the surrounding cities like Sunrise, and Plantation do not have power. I have no clue about Nova located in Davie... But if they're not answering phone calls, there is a high chance that there is no power. Just gotta wait! We've got a lot of clean up to do.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have family that lives in Sunrise, the town over from Davie, and they do not have power and their backyard fence flew over and they said it was a mess. Definitely second this, be patient!

Interview #1

School: Nova
Notification Date: 8/24/17
Method of Notification: E-mail
Residency: GA
sGPA: 3.65
oGPA: 3.76
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/RC/Any below 17): 21/21/20/23/none

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a chance if you didn't make any mistakes filling out your application. You would be surprised to know how many people get rejected based on something like that. I'll have to look for the youtube video made by UoP or ADEA, I can't remember who made it.There are so many reasons why you didn't get an interview, so just stay calm. My DAT was the same as yours, my oGPA and sGPA was lower than yours, however, I am currently working on a Masters (GPA 3.85) and I got an interview invite from NSU in August. So if you don't think you will get in, I encourage you to complete a Masters. There are 9 month and 12 month programs that are non-thesis based, which the dental schools do not seem to mind, that provide science coursework similar to the rigor in 1st and 2nd year medical/dental schools. Doing well in these programs can be used to demonstrate to the dental schools you can handle the coursework and prove to yourself if you're ready. Try Mississippi College, Barry University, etc. I currently go to Mississippi College, it's pretty boring out here but I stay busy just studying. Tufts seems to accept a handful of students from this program.... I was in a worse position than you last year, so keep your head up and stay positive! PM if you have questions!
Thanks for your support!
I have always had this question that if an average GPA/DAT for some schools is around 3.4/19-20 (Not specifically NOVA), There must have been many students who got accepted with lower than average stats (at least half the class). I have yet to figure out what they look for in an applicant?

Thanks for your support!
I have always had this question that if an average GPA/DAT for some schools is around 3.4/19-20 (Not specifically NOVA), There must have been many students who got accepted with lower than average stats (at least half the class). I have yet to figure out what they look for in an applicant?
People with low ugrad GPAs do get in, but only after completing a postbacc or masters in addition to doing well on the DAT. You have a better chance at applying to a private school of you go this route. The schools want to see the top grades to demonstrate your work ethic. The DAT demonstrates knowledge. Also when your at a 19 on the DAT, you're a few questions right from scoring a 21 because the exam is scored on a bell curve, so study more and come up with more ways to save time thinking on the exam like using more pneumonics. Also, do a masters instead of a postbacc because at least you walk away with another degree. Your 3.4 GPA is not bad, I wish I had your grades during undergrad....if I tried a little more and thought about school maybe I could have. Getting a high GPA is easy but there's a lot of work involved, you can't be lazy, you need a strong work ethic and self discipline to repeat random facts every day and every week. Every day, you have to be on a schedule for study, cooking, sleeping, and sundays are for rest. Studying requires repetition of everything you learn in class because you need to know all of the minor details and understand how and why things work the way they do. So, this application cycle, do your best, However, if you don't get an interview by Nov/Dec, try a masters or postbacc. Mississippi College is a great school, you can start in December. A lot of students from MC get into the gulf coast schools and do well in their programs. Check out their website. Remember to always have a backup plan in anything you do, and don't squander your time because it's precious. Good luck, stranger!!! I hope you get to where you're going! Don't listen to the immature people with their dangerous half truths and negative advice!

People with low ugrad GPAs do get in, but only after completing a postbacc or masters in addition to doing well on the DAT. You have a better chance at applying to a private school of you go this route. The schools want to see the top grades to demonstrate your work ethic. The DAT demonstrates knowledge. Also when your at a 19 on the DAT, you're a few questions right from scoring a 21 because the exam is scored on a bell curve, so study more and come up with more ways to save time thinking on the exam like using more pneumonics. Also, do a masters instead of a postbacc because at least you walk away with another degree. Your 3.4 GPA is not bad, I wish I had your grades during undergrad....if I tried a little more and thought about school maybe I could have. Getting a high GPA is easy but there's a lot of work involved, you can't be lazy, you need a strong work ethic and self discipline to repeat random facts every day and every week. Every day, you have to be on a schedule for study, cooking, sleeping, and sundays are for rest. Studying requires repetition of everything you learn in class because you need to know all of the minor details and understand how and why things work the way they do. So, this application cycle, do your best, However, if you don't get an interview by Nov/Dec, try a masters or postbacc. Mississippi College is a great school, you can start in December. A lot of students from MC get into the gulf coast schools and do well in their programs. Check out their website. Remember to always have a backup plan in anything you do, and don't squander your time because it's precious. Good luck, stranger!!! I hope you get to where you're going! Don't listen to the immature people with their dangerous half truths and negative advice!

Thanks for your advice!
Just to clarify though, I don't have 3.4 GPA and 19 DAT. I have 3.3 GPA and 20AA/21TS. I don't know which combination is better though for getting interviews LOL.

Interview #3

School: NOVA
Notified: 9/18/17
Notified via: Email
Residency: NY
Interview date: December 15th
I was only offered post December interview dates
GPA/DAT: see signature below

Interview #2!

Notification Date: 9/18/17
Residency: VT
sGPA: 3.26
oGPA: 3.35
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/RC/Any below 17): 19/19/22/22/QR=16
Interview date: 12/14
I'm non-traditional (5 years out of undergrad) and have been working in a medical clinic, so I think that may have helped me with some of my lower stats. Who knows, though. Good luck everyone!

For people who had their interview, what was the day like and the interview like?

Reactions: 2 users
For people who had their interview, what was the day like and the interview like?

I interviewed in August. Very relaxed environment, great school and nice facilities. No hard pressed questions just super chill.

Group of about 10 people for me, tour from 12-1:30 and interviews in random order..group split between 3 possible faculty members for about 30ish minutes per person. The latest you will be there is likely 4:30pm or 5ish if there is a lot of people.

Book your flights after 7 if leaving same day

I was not asked any hard questions, literally just one: What does a relaxing day look like for you...mostly it was just a conversation getting to know a little about me

Reactions: 7 users
I interviewed in August. Very relaxed environment, great school and nice facilities. No hard pressed questions just super chill.

Group of about 10 people for me, tour from 12-1:30 and interviews in random order..group split between 3 possible faculty members for about 30ish minutes per person. The latest you will be there is likely 4:30pm or 5ish if there is a lot of people.

I was not asked any hard questions, literally just one: What does a relaxing day look like for you...mostly it was just a conversation getting to know a little about me
who'd you get interviewed by?

Hi everyone I had a question. I sent my supp application on 7/14/2017 and there is still no news. Neither interview invitation nor rejection yet. Do you guys think I have to call them or email them to find out everything is fine or not ? There is a long wait and I am overwhelmed to get interviews ‍♀️

anyone interviewing on Sept 29th?

can we bring out luggage into the school and they have a place for us to keep our luggage?

Is this a 2 day interview or is everything done in one day? For VCU I have to be there for 2 days and I wasn't sure about my NOVA interview.

Is this a 2 day interview or is everything done in one day? For VCU I have to be there for 2 days and I wasn't sure about my NOVA interview.
It's only one day. You're there from about 11:30 till 5 the latest

Do you guys think they will send more invites?

No luggage allowed. They will take it and burn it out back.

jk they have a place

Reactions: 4 users
Just had the interview today. The day starts out with a lunch session where you can ask the dental students your questions and then after that we went on a tour of the buildings. My interview was with Dr. Lippman, which I got lucky because there were 3 other faculty interviewing the others too. Like others may have said, it was a really relaxing interview. 1/4 of the questions he asked was dental or academically related. I talked to him about sports and other random topics that came to mind. My interview may have lasted 15 minutes. It was just basically having a normal conversation with a stranger.

Hopefully, I get in because Nova has such a nice campus and an excellent learning environment. The people there are so happy, and they are all team based. If you have a flight that leaves on the same day, Dr. Lippman makes accommodations to you to interview early. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Just had the interview today. The day starts out with a lunch session where you can ask the dental students your questions and then after that we went on a tour of the buildings. My interview was with Dr. Lippman, which I got lucky because there were 3 other faculty interviewing the others too. Like others may have said, it was a really relaxing interview. 1/4 of the questions he asked was dental or academically related. I talked to him about sports and other random topics that came to mind. My interview may have lasted 15 minutes. It was just basically having a normal conversation with a stranger.

Hopefully, I get in because Nova has such a nice campus and an excellent learning environment. The people there are so happy, and they are all team based. If you have a flight that leaves on the same day, Dr. Lippman makes accommodations to you to interview early. Other then, good luck everyone.

Thanks so much for posting. I have mine tomorrow and am really excited, Nova seems like a great place. Good luck to you!

do you feel that it is fair to spend most of the interview time to talk about random topics like sports? I understand the angle he's shooting for is to see if you are a person who is sociable and can gel well with others. However, flying all the way to Florida just so the Dr. Lipman knows who your favorite professional volleyball player is seems unfair. Sounds like you are not selling yourself as much as you can. My interview is coming up soon as well, and I'm wondering how am I going to separate myself from the kids interviewing with a 25AA. Yes its "laidback", but you still have to be able to stand out by controlling the conversation to a certain degree so you can say everything you need to say.

Does anyone have an interview on October 4th and wants to hangout on October 3rd, Message me at 226-975-5817 (Canadian number). I will probably be staying at the holiday inn.

do you feel that it is fair to spend most of the interview time to talk about random topics like sports? I understand the angle he's shooting for is to see if you are a person who is sociable and can gel well with others. However, flying all the way to Florida just so the Dr. Lipman knows who your favorite professional volleyball player is seems unfair. Sounds like you are not selling yourself as much as you can. My interview is coming up soon as well, and I'm wondering how am I going to separate myself from the kids interviewing with a 25AA. Yes its "laidback", but you still have to be able to stand out by controlling the conversation to a certain degree so you can say everything you need to say.

I interviewed with him also, he will only let you talk about your interests and stuff, he isnt really into your academic side as much just wants to know if you are human

Did anyone else interview with Ms. Coleman? I believe she's a dental
Hygienist and teaches at nova, I got interviewed by her and she's wonderful, honestly the best, but haven't heard of anyone else interviewing with her

During my day, she interviewed two people only.

Why d

why do so few people interview with her, is it a good sign or bad sign or completely random?

Completely random. Dr. Lippman doesn't or have the time to interview 12-15 people. That would take hours and be exhausting.

Did anyone else interview with Ms. Coleman? I believe she's a dental
Hygienist and teaches at nova, I got interviewed by her and she's wonderful, honestly the best, but haven't heard of anyone else interviewing with her

I interviewed with her. She was SO sweet. She made me feel relaxed and like I was just having a conversation with a friend. Couldn't have asked for a better interviewer!

Anyone from out of town interviewing on OCT 5th? Im bringing my ps4 to the nearby hotel im stayin at on oct 4th if anyone tryna get whooped in fifa

First Interview!
Notification Date: 9/26/17
Residency: AL
sGPA: 3.21
oGPA: 3.24
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/RC/Any below 17): 24/24/18/27/QR 16
Interview date: 1/4/18

Status
Not open for further replies.