***The Official NYU College of Dentistry C/O 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me. I plan on living like a student and with my parents after graduation. I don't intend on getting married nor living on my own until I have paid off at least HALF of my debt
You need to keep in mind that life evolves. When I made a FRACTION of what I make now when I was younger, I had tons more disposable income. But I got older and moved throughout phases of life. I could not imagine still living with my parents when I was 30. On the other hand, I can't imagine my kids living with me in their 30's. By 30 I had two kids, a wife, a mortgage, a career, etc.
It's easy to imagine yourself in a few years in the same place you're in now. Just keep in mind that your mindset will evolve along with your age and education. I assure you, I've been where you are. After all your hard work, you will want to start your life.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
You need to keep in mind that life evolves. When I made a FRACTION of what I make now when I was younger, I had tons more disposable income. But I got older and moved throughout phases of life. I could not imagine still living with my parents when I was 30. On the other hand, I can't imagine my kids living with me in their 30's. By 30 I had two kids, a wife, a mortgage, a career, etc.
It's easy to imagine yourself in a few years in the same place you're in now. Just keep in mind that your mindset will evolve along with your age and education. I assure you, I've been where you are. After all your hard work, you will want to start your life.

Yeah, good point Schmoob. I can't argue that. That's just my current concrete mindset. I mean I just have to be flexible, but it is my hope that I will just minimize my expenses to the best of my ability! Also, I won't be taking out the FULL 500k+, I am just taking out the tuition for the 4 years, so I am looking at around 380k, which isn't as bad. Might even do military or something over 2 years or working in underserved areas, not quite sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Again, you have to be smart about it. I was also a finance major in college so I know what I am getting into. Trust me. I plan on living like a student and with my parents after graduation. I don't intend on getting married nor living on my own until I have paid off at least HALF of my debt. Yes, interest sucks, but if there is the will then there is a way.
I guess it's different when you're single. I'm in a serious relationship, and now the decisions I make not only affect me but both of us. So debt can become a really scary thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Day 1,005: still waitlisted at dental school...... running low on stamina, patience, and food.

Just got accepted today !
waitlisted in December
As others already have said, keep in contact with your admission officer and send in updates every other week.

Reactions: 1 users
What kinds of updates do you send if you're out of school and working full-time?

Hello all!

I just got accepted after being on the waitlist since early December! There is hope, all. As for updates, I did not really have any updates since I graduated and have just been working full-time during the entire cycle. I sent in two LOI. The first one I received no response, but I sent another one in yesterday, and my admissions officer and Dr. Mejia contacted me today.

Show interest!! Like everyone else said - it really helps. I will be attending!

Hello all!

I just got accepted after being on the waitlist since early December! There is hope, all. As for updates, I did not really have any updates since I graduated and have just been working full-time during the entire cycle. I sent in two LOI. The first one I received no response, but I sent another one in yesterday, and my admissions officer and Dr. Mejia contacted me today.

Show interest!! Like everyone else said - it really helps. I will be attending!

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing your stats?

I guess it's different when you're single. I'm in a serious relationship, and now the decisions I make not only affect me but both of us. So debt can become a really scary thought.
Lol I wish I could get serious with my relationship, but these
Just got accepted today !
waitlisted in December
As others already have said, keep in contact with your admission officer and send in updates every other week.
Lucky you congrats!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just made this profile to say that I got in on Thursday. I kept sending updates every 2 weeks. 2 LOIs and 2 update letters. I made sure to say always that I’d accept their acceptance.

I just made this profile to say that I got in on Thursday. I kept sending updates every 2 weeks. 2 LOIs and 2 update letters. I made sure to say always that I’d accept their acceptance.
Congrats! Do you send all your emails to your admission officer or Dr.Mejia?

Got accepted off the waitlist on April 26th! Waitlisted on March 11th. Will be attending! Good luck to the rest of you guys! There is still hope!

Got accepted off the waitlist on April 26th! Waitlisted on March 11th. Will be attending! Good luck to the rest of you guys! There is still hope!
congrats!! Really hope I could get accepted.

just got off the waitlist!! SO EXCITED

For those attending, arent you guys nervous about the loans you will be taking?
Terrified. It sucks how they’re charging us a dentist’s salary when we’re not even dentists yet. But we’re also gonna be in NYC where the cost of living is incredibly high because people will pay just to be in NYC. But on the plus side, once we’re dentists, we’ll be able to pay it all back within 10 years. It’s a career that pays you back and there’s a lot of people out there that would love to be in our shoes living in the city. I like to think It’s a once in a lifetime experience that has a big price tag because the quality of education we’re getting is top notch (NYU is #6 dental school in the nation) and with our DDS degree we’ll be living very comfortably doing meaningful, rewarding work. Just make sure you budget yourself and live within your means. Live like a student now, live like a dentist later.

Terrified. It sucks how they’re charging us a dentist’s salary when we’re not even dentists yet. But we’re also gonna be in NYC where the cost of living is incredibly high because people will pay just to be in NYC. But on the plus side, once we’re dentists, we’ll be able to pay it all back within 10 years. It’s a career that pays you back and there’s a lot of people out there that would love to be in our shoes living in the city. I like to think It’s a once in a lifetime experience that has a big price tag because the quality of education we’re getting is top notch (NYU is #6 dental school in the nation) and with our DDS degree we’ll be living very comfortably doing meaningful, rewarding work. Just make sure you budget yourself and live within your means. Live like a student now, live like a dentist later.
We'll be living like students for 10+ years lol

Sending updates every 2 weeks + two LOIs + additional LOR but still no news...feel frustrated..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is the cost worth it if you have to pay it all off with loans? considering that you want want to live rather financially comfortably

is the cost worth it if you have to pay it all off with loans? considering that you want want to live rather financially comfortably
Ya so I'm wondering if anyone has actually done the math for a ~$600k loan. Everyone keeps saying we can pay back this amount in 10 years but if we choose to go for the 10 year loan repayment period with a 6% interest rate, then we will be paying ~$6700.00/month. Now is this actually feasible given that we need to pay for mortgage, taxes, insurance, food, kids, entertainment, etc? You tell me.

Not sure why people come to NYU acceptance forums with their worries about Loan Repayments. Yes, everyone is worried about their loans. Yes, everyone wants to go to a cheaper school.

People need to stop telling others who are extremely happy with finally reaching the goals of becoming a dentist with "youre going to owe a lot." Yeah, paying loans suck. But so does working for 60K doing nonsense with your undergrad degree.

Also, dont @ me with the whole "I'm just giving you the truth about it. These are facts" No you arent. Unless youre an alumni, your point is useless and unneeded. If someone wants to give up their seat at dental school cause of the loans they will take out, that's their decision which I hope they dont make cause some guy on a forum with his own pettiness is discouraging them from achieving a fulfilling career.

Reactions: 4 users
lol screw the finances, have the ball sack to take a risk!

trust me I think one of the top end dental schools, and third oldest dental school standing knows what they are doing on the grand scheme of things.

If enough people in Alabama ask Trump to get rid of all student loans, he might do it.

Do u guys recommend emailing the office of admissions or my admissions officer for any updates/LOI I have? And/or should I email Dr. Mejia directly?

Thank you!

Uh...I just want a fuller picture of what I’m going into. If you’re a person to dive in half-blinded into something with nothing but passion then I envy you for finding your true life goal.
Dentistry as a profession does make me happy yet having experienced financial struggles, I know how hard it can be on me and my family no matter how much I love something.
If anyone has posts or threads with clearer picture please please tag or message me. Thank you

Do u guys recommend emailing the office of admissions or my admissions officer for any updates/LOI I have? And/or should I email Dr. Mejia directly?

Thank you!
Do whatever and all you can :) email every emails you can.

Not sure why people come to NYU acceptance forums with their worries about Loan Repayments. Yes, everyone is worried about their loans. Yes, everyone wants to go to a cheaper school.

People need to stop telling others who are extremely happy with finally reaching the goals of becoming a dentist with "youre going to owe a lot." Yeah, paying loans suck. But so does working for 60K doing nonsense with your undergrad degree.

Also, dont @ me with the whole "I'm just giving you the truth about it. These are facts" No you arent. Unless youre an alumni, your point is useless and unneeded. If someone wants to give up their seat at dental school cause of the loans they will take out, that's their decision which I hope they dont make cause some guy on a forum with his own pettiness is discouraging them from achieving a fulfilling career.
No need to rage over here. Someone asked and I gave them my answer. Debt can become a huge burden and going into dental school you need to be prepared and know what to expect for the long run. Walking in all "la dee da dah" will backfire on you for sure.

Last edited:
Uh...I just want a fuller picture of what I’m going into. If you’re a person to dive in half-blinded into something with nothing but passion then I envy you for finding your true life goal.
Dentistry as a profession does make me happy yet having experienced financial struggles, I know how hard it can be on me and my family no matter how much I love something.
If anyone has posts or threads with clearer picture please please tag or message me. Thank you

Yes I understand where you are coming from, and considering your unfortunate situation previously finances are very important and you must take into consideration every single detail. Surprisingly, I would be in a terrible situation if this school doesn't accept me lol. However, as crazy as this might sound, I really think you should go to NYU considering your families unfortunate situation in the past. It may seem like a lot of money, but seriously this would significantly influence your future path in life and help produce social mobility that would allow you to evade from future financial difficulties. But then again, take what I have to say with a grain of salt because I could be wrong.

No need to rage over here. Someone asked and I gave them my answer. Debt can become a huge burden and going into dental school you need to be prepared and know what to expect for the long run. Walking in all "la dee da dah" will backfire on you for sure.
lol I know a guy who la dee da dah a presidential election and now he's president hahahaha

Reactions: 3 users
If enough people in Alabama ask Trump to get rid of all student loans, he might do it.

O god, that guy is going to leave this country bankrupt, so we could try to make this country great again in the next election

How can you pity someone taking out loans like this ladeedadah?

anyway. This is a medical license at the end of the day, not a humanities degree.

How can you pity someone taking out loans like this ladeedadah?

anyway. This is a medical license at the end of the day, not a humanities degree.
Dude I could seriously relate to what you said about the 60 k under grad job

Anyone here got accepted doing a masters?

Facts. Had one. #PostBaccLife #FearNoLoansLife
Yea they really need to accept us. Dude I seriously can’t take another year off, I am sick and tired of having my life on hold. I can’t get engaged, I can’t progress, and I sit at home watching Netflix after my research. It’s gotten to the point where I just chill with residents as a department would make an exception. Now I have to constantly hear how the admissions processes is very competitive, even though I’m aging like every year. It’s like a curse and I feel more regulated then anything! Maybe they’ll accept us for the cycle because I feel that another year means the same thing as going to prison for a year.

Yea they really need to accept us. Dude I seriously can’t take another year off, I am sick and tired of having my life on hold. I can’t get engaged, I can’t progress, and I sit at home watching Netflix after my research. It’s gotten to the point where I just chill with residents as a department would make an exception. Now I have to constantly hear how the admissions processes is very competitive, even though I’m aging like every year. It’s like a curse and I feel more regulated then anything! Maybe they’ll accept us for the cycle because I feel that another year means the same thing as going to prison for a year.
Same here! 2nd time applying..really need to get in somewhere..

I was accepted today btw. I'm rooting for you guys. The list is moving. Only recommendation is that when you send these updates, its something different. Something a bit more than "youre my #1 choice"

Status
Not open for further replies.