*** The Official Tufts School of Dentistry Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Tufts a worthwhile university? The facilities look amazing! But you’re also paying for it and then some... is the tuition and cost of living really worth that experience? Are the professors and students usually approachable or is a competitive nature at this school?

I think everything is an investment. There will be other dental schools that are as expensive, if not more than Tufts. Harvard and BU is about the same price wise. I chose Tufts mainly because they give you more clinical experience before you graduate. Plus our facilities are very nice. I know USC doesn't even include loupes in the tuition (even more expensive to go to USC) while all our equipment/loupes etc... are all paid for in our tuition. Professors are very approachable; they want you to succeed. Students help each other out very much! Although can be competitive in the first few months, we all get along and very much feel like an over-extended family.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else surprised by this background check cost? It says it’s $150 or $250 for NY residents (which I am, yay). That’s a lot of money just to tell Tufts I have no criminal record.

Is anyone else surprised by this background check cost? It says it’s $150 or $250 for NY residents (which I am, yay). That’s a lot of money just to tell Tufts I have no criminal record.
Yes, I am from NYC and paid 250$ for the background check.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I love Tufts. Many live nearby in chinatown/back bay/ beacon hill but they get pricey. With a roommmate you can probably get 1400-1500$/month per person near south end. If you want to save more you can perhaps venture to medford or forest hills and commute using orange line. I know for your year it will be straight up integrated, meaning you will learn one section of body (physiology, histology, pharma, etc..) all at once, with no overlapping exams. Courses are great, although students are a bit on the competitive side, you learn great materials. Operative can be a bit tricky because although Dr Eisen is a great professor, his lectures can be a bit tricky. Nevertheless you will learn all the techniques and what not at the end. Competencies are more fun than stressful. We are given info pack at the beginning of the year that contains previous exams and study guides and tips. Make sure you keep up and don't slack. Also a lot of your classmates will post study guides and tips, which is always helpful. The toughest course for D1 is Gross anatomy. It is 4 credits, but you will most likely spend a lot of your energy into this course. Exams are straight up fill in the blank, 85 questions per exam, no word bank. So you gotta really know your ****. Besides studying, Boston is lovely, food scene has gotten much better the past 6 years, lots to see and have fun with your peers.

@dyckim

Im sure all of are happy with sharing this info.

Another question

What is the schedule like, do clases start at 7am or 8 am or 9 am?

Is that gym in the basement always open for students?

How is the crime rate in the area? do students get robbed?

Damn 1400 a month, that's nuts lol. . .

@dyckim

Im sure all of are happy with sharing this info.

Another question

What is the schedule like, do clases start at 7am or 8 am or 9 am?

Is that gym in the basement always open for students?

How is the crime rate in the area? do students get robbed?

Damn 1400 a month, that's nuts lol. . .

Hi,

Gym open; classes starts about 9 am and end about 3/4. Some days may be very light. Most classes are lecture captured and students/previous studends/info pack post study guides. Boston is very very safe. I lived here 18 year+ and gotten better than ever. You can also run along esplanade and really explore Boston! 1400$ is typical. I pay around 1900$ all utilities included for studio in back bay.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, congratulations on your acceptance and to those who are waitlisted, hopefully you will hear good news soon & for those who didn't get accepted, I really hope you get accepted in another school soon :xf:

I applied kinda late to Tufts because I had bio and gen chem done in a community college and I thought they would never consider me, but then some people told me to apply any way since I like this school so that was better than not trying.

My question is: Did anyone get accepted with community college credits in bio and gen chem or any of their science courses pre-req.

I have all A's in all the pre-requistes: the ones at 4-year university and also at the community college. I don't know if that would make any difference though.

Also, what do you think of the idea sending them a
letter of intent, do you think I should do that and tell them how I plan to take some upper class bio courses this spring semseter at my 4-year university or should I just wait until January?

interviewing in jan., but can anyone tell me how much the total seat deposit is this year?

Last edited:
Also I don’t think it’s a bad idea on the letter of intent! I have actually been contemplating that idea these last few days as well. Again, Tufts is a great school I just have no interest in retake my courses. But if for some reason I were to I would send a letter of intent explaining they’re my top choice.. I’m gonna do x, y, and z so accept me por favor. Or something of that nature. I’ve definitely been considering Tufts but I also don’t want to waste my time and money on an interview when I know I don’t want to retake a class..

Thank you for your reply. I am curious, are you sure they want us to retake? because I can't see how someone can retake these classes in the spring semester when they already gonna see you in January do they expect people to find a school that offers courses mid-spring or something, I am pretty sure that is way too hard.
Like, how am I gonna retake bio 1 and 2 in spring, for example, they have to be taken in sequence lol, I hope they won't ask you to do that & best of luck with your other schools.

Haha another thought I’ve had. Yeah I have to retake a sequence course too sooooo yeah I’m not 100% sure. Others have said it’s not for sure they’ll make you retake it. But I have no idea. If not then Tufts it would be for me!! But yeah I’ve been wondering the same thing cause my semester literally starts the day I interview so should be interesting. I might email them and ask.

If you don't get any acceptance from another school, don't ever email them; just assume everything will work out lol, no need for you to put a dot on your application before going there.

If you did get an acceptance from another school, you can email them because at least you would know and might not bother going if they gave you a flat no.

interviewing in jan., but can anyone tell me how much the total seat deposit is this year?

Total is $3000. $2000 initially and two additional separate $500 deposits in the late winter and early spring. I believe those accepted off the waitlist after a certain date have to pay the $3000 in full. Good luck with your interview!! Tufts was by far my favorite interview day

Members don't see this ad :)
im surprised to see this Thread has more views than the ""Interview/Acceptance NYU""!!!!

I wonder why?

Does anyone know when the facebook group will be made?

Does anyone know if they offer any scholarships ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone who interview on Dec 10th know when we might find out?

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what a working phone number is for the school? I've been trying to get in contact with them but to no avail.

does anyone know when they should be making acceptance calls for interviews conducted after the dec. 3rd cutoff?

@dyckim @BluntForceTrauma

Are the lectures recorded ?

And how is it going so far this month week?

Were there finals ?

Lectures are recorded, for the most part. Occasionally they won't be, or professors can say they aren't. It's all up to them.

Going great. 2nd years are off for 3 weeks for Christmas break. It's bloody wonderful. Next semester is the hardest semester of D-school, so game on.

If by finals you means exams at the end of the semester? Then yes. Some courses go year long, so it was a "midterm" but there are exams right before you go home/on break.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I think everything is an investment. There will be other dental schools that are as expensive, if not more than Tufts. Harvard and BU is about the same price wise. I chose Tufts mainly because they give you more clinical experience before you graduate. Plus our facilities are very nice. I know USC doesn't even include loupes in the tuition (even more expensive to go to USC) while all our equipment/loupes etc... are all paid for in our tuition. Professors are very approachable; they want you to succeed. Students help each other out very much! Although can be competitive in the first few months, we all get along and very much feel like an over-extended family.

Hi do you get summer off after D1 year?

Hi do you get summer off after D1 year?
They do this year so they can study for and take boards. Things may change for the D'23 class as you will be taking the INDBE instead of the Part I/II. We don't know for sure though.

Has anyone who had a post dec 3rd interview heard back yet?

Do you guys think I could still receive an interview at this point in the cycle? I’m accepted to some other schools but I REALLY want to go here. And I know Tufts says they don’t accept “additional materials”. I’m assuming a letter of intent wouldn’t be accepted here?

Anyone know how many Tufts interview VS accept? I have already put my deposit down in for another school but am really curious about Tufts. Since I was planning on traveling abroad though, I don't want to change my flights plans if it will likely be a low chance of acceptance rate, esp since its post-december now

Do you guys think I could still receive an interview at this point in the cycle? I’m accepted to some other schools but I REALLY want to go here. And I know Tufts says they don’t accept “additional materials”. I’m assuming a letter of intent wouldn’t be accepted here?

Wondering the same thing. Tufts is my first choice and I want to send a letter so bad!!

TUFTS Gives out more acceptances in Jan Feb AS Well as INTERVIEWS !

I had my interview invite a Jan and scheduled for a february

Anyone know how many Tufts interview VS accept? I have already put my deposit down in for another school but am really curious about Tufts. Since I was planning on traveling abroad though, I don't want to change my flights plans if it will likely be a low chance of acceptance rate, esp since its post-december now

They Accept a lot of the people they interview

Just got accepted now! First acceptance!!

Reactions: 9 users
Submitted: late October
App complete: 11/8
Interviewed on: 12/6
non-Canadian international student

I can't believe I'm in:soexcited:

Last edited:
What time does the interview end? It says 2 pm the most so I booked my flight back home at 5. Is this good? Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using SDN mobile

Can anyone shed some light on private loans?
Is there any international or non-traditional students who are paying through private loans and out-of-pocket?
I would like to ask some questions, so PM me please.

What time does the interview end? It says 2 pm the most so I booked my flight back home at 5. Is this good? Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using SDN mobile
I did the same exact thing for my interview. Finished at around 1:45ish, 5pm was cutting it very close with the rush hour traffic and I almost missed my flight, but hopefully you have better luck than me!! Good luck

As an international student, do I really need to provide written documentation to financial office?
I have checked with the bursars office and the lady that I talked to said it is okay as long as I pay the cost by due date.
I am trying to reach financial office if I have to provide the documentation to the financial office for the final check.
Any international student who can answer the question?
Thanks.

Does anybody know if we still have to submit an official copy of our DAT from the ADA directly to the school if its already verified on AADSAS?

I did the same exact thing for my interview. Finished at around 1:45ish, 5pm was cutting it very close with the rush hour traffic and I almost missed my flight, but hopefully you have better luck than me!! Good luck

Thank you for your reply. Some people told me 5 is okay, but I changed my flight to 7 pm just to be on the safe side.

As an international student, do I really need to provide written documentation to financial office?
I have checked with the bursars office and the lady that I talked to said it is okay as long as I pay the cost by due date.
I am trying to reach financial office if I have to provide the documentation to the financial office for the final check.
Any international student who can answer the question?
Thanks.

According to the enrollment contract, looks like they need the proof that u will have enough fund to pay the first two years tuition in order to issue you an I-20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to the enrollment contract, looks like they need the proof that u will have enough fund to pay the first two years tuition in order to issue you an I-20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do not need I-20 although I am considered international in terms of financial aid.
I guess I will have to wait for the response from financial office since my case is little differ.
Thanks.

Anyone know if they will continue to send interview invites in January ?

Is there a Facebook group?

tenor.gif

Right above you boss

Anyone know if they will continue to send interview invites in January ?
I received interview invite in December and the dates available are 8 and 14 of January. If that's the real facebook page for class of 2023, there are only 38 students, as of now, in that class. They'll probably send more invites!

@BluntForceTrauma @dyckim Would you guys be able to fill out this questionnaire please?

1) Name of Your Dental School

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

3) What is the hardest class? Why?

4) What is the easiest class? Why?

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

7) Are there any classes taken with medical students? If so, which ones?

8) What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?

9) Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?

10) Is class attendance mandatory?

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?

12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you?

13) What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score?

14) When do you take the NDBE? 1st year or second year?

15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?

16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?

18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?

19) What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they?

21) Are there opportunities for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long?

22) Is there sufficient preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunities does your school offer?

23) What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties?

24) What student organizations are most active?

25) What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?

26) What do you not like about your dental school?
Neither of us can answer this fully as it discusses a lot of points we don't know much about yet. I'm a 2nd year and have only been doing prophys in clinic, and @dyckim is a 1st year, so they have only assisted.

If you have specific questions that you yourself would like to know the answers to, fire away. Next year I'd be happy to fill out the above, as I'll have a better sense of things clinically.

Status
Not open for further replies.