*** The Official UCSF School of Dentistry Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Members don't see this ad :)
someone in state apparently LOL they've been rejecting really high DATs

I went to one of their presentations, and the recruiter said that "we have a great number of OOS acceptance but students end up going to their state schools, you should apply."

I wish this was the case looool. I was rejected a couple weeks ago and I’m in state with 3.9 GPA and 23 AA 24 TS

Wow... what's going on with UCSF? I feel like they've sent out more rejections than invites so far. And then some haven't heard a peep yet (me included)!

someone in state apparently LOL they've been rejecting really high DATs

mid July
It's really more complicated than just stats, IS or OOS. There were other students with less stats and got in. They are looking applicants holistically including community service, volunteer, leadership, research, personal statements.

Reactions: 6 users
I got rejected OOS. Good Luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think submitting an app to this school at this stage would be too late?

Do you think submitting an app to this school at this stage would be too late?
I'm wondering that too...
It seems like no one knows what they want this year. lol
maybe it will benefit us applying late since they rejected everyone already haha *wishful thinking*

Is it a good news that I didn't receive any interview or rejection? :( My app was completed on July 2.

Is it a good news that I didn't receive any interview or rejection? :( My app was completed on July 2.
I'm on the same boat as you lol :( submitted June 29th and completed July 4th. Haven't heard back at all...

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected yesterday. Good luck to everyone else

HOW are they rejecting so many 3.7-4.0 GPA with 23-25 DAT (based on SDN)...
What about us little guys with <3.5 gpa and <22 DAT :( haha
I was going to apply on a whim but I don't even think it's worth it being that it's so late and they're rejecting like crazy..

HOW are they rejecting so many 3.7-4.0 GPA with 23-25 DAT (based on SDN)...
What about us little guys with <3.5 gpa and <22 DAT :( haha
I was going to apply on a whim but I don't even think it's worth it being that it's so late and they're rejecting like crazy..
UCSF is pretty well-known for being highly holistic in their review of apps. They reject very high stats in exchange for commitment to service, a history of volunteerism, a dedication to community dentistry, and diversity of the candidate. In fact from my understanding, they prefer students with lower stats that have done Masters or PostBac programs or otherwise "alternative" candidates because it showcases both maturity and commitment to the field that someone with a 4.0 and 28DAT coming straight out of undergrad simply cannot demonstrate. Good stats are the least important thing about being a good dentist, and they focus on all of the other features that showcase someone as a good future caregiver.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
UCSF is pretty well-known for being highly holistic in their review of apps. They reject very high stats in exchange for commitment to service, a history of volunteerism, a dedication to community dentistry, and diversity of the candidate. In fact from my understanding, they prefer students with lower stats that have done Masters or PostBac programs or otherwise "alternative" candidates because it showcases both maturity and commitment to the field that someone with a 4.0 and 28DAT coming straight out of undergrad simply cannot demonstrate. Good stats are the least important thing about being a good dentist, and they focus on all of the other features that showcase someone as a good future caregiver.

Not to dismiss what you are saying-especially with regards to them preferring alternative candidates-but many people with top stats aren't only book-worms. Conversely, people with lower stats don't necessarily have a better background. High stats/coming from undergrad and volunteering/dedication/maturity aren't mutually exclusive.

From my understanding, it's a luck of the draw. Especially true at top schools, some people will like your app and others won't

Not to dismiss what you are saying-especially with regards to them preferring alternative candidates-but many people with top stats aren't only book-worms. Conversely, people with lower stats don't necessarily have a better background. High stats/coming from undergrad and volunteering/dedication/maturity aren't mutually exclusive.

From my understanding, it's a luck of the draw. Especially true at top schools, some people will like your app and others won't
I wasn't meaning to dismiss people with top stats as simply book worms, but often times people tend to sacrifice one for the other. It's much easier to maintain high stats if you didn't need to work a job or opt not to volunteer heavily during undergrad. Similarly, people with lower stats often struggle because they have responsibilities outside of academics. Neither is mutually exclusive but it is common and therefore someone simply having high stats isn't an indicator of them being a good candidate (and vice versa). There's a reason that they ask for our work experience, extracurricular activities, disadvantaged statement, etc when considering our applications. Luck with who reads your application also applies, but in general a well-rounded candidate will beat a candidate strong in a single aspect of their application (such as stats, which is what many people seem to think is the most important aspect).

Reactions: 3 users
Interview #6
School: UCSF
Notification date: 9/9
Method of notification: Email
Residency: Canada
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/13
Application complete date: 7/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.83, 3.83
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 26/27/22/21/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 10/21

Super grateful for receiving an invite as a Canadian!!! Let me know if anyone is interviewing on 10/21!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Interview #5
School: UCSF
Notification date: 9/9
Residency: NJ
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/20
Application complete date: 7/29
GPA (science, overall): 3.97, 3.97
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 27/25/25/30/none
Interview date: 10/21

Thought this would never come!

Reactions: 4 users
For the interview, does anyone know anything about the short essay we have to write about the "quote of the day"?

Did anyone else get an interview invite on October 18?

Anyone heard anything? It’s been quiet over the past 2 weeks

Last edited:
Anyone heard anything? It’s been quiet of the past 2 weeks

The UCs seem really quiet this year, especially with OOS interviews as far as I can tell from the forums - unless it's just that SDN is getting more competitive so fewer people are posting (which is an innate possibility, too).

When you guys say app complete date are you talking about the email from UCSF saying, "Your app is now complete and will be soon submitted for review" ?

Interview #2
School:
UCSF
Notification date: 9/25
Residency: in-state
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/17
Application complete date: 07/23
GPA (science, overall): 3.52, 3.66
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/22/23/25/None

Interview #2
School:
UCSF
Notification date: 9/25
Residency: in-state
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/17
Application complete date: 07/23
GPA (science, overall): 3.52, 3.66
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/22/23/25/None

Congrats! What interview dates were offered?

Congrats! What interview dates were offered?
They only offered me Oct. 28th in the email, and said the only acceptable reasons to request a different date are having a medical emergency, having the DAT scheduled on that date, or having an exam scheduled. Pretty intense lol

Interview 4/4

UCSF
notification 9/25
interview date Oct 28
stats: 3.5 sGPA; 3.8 cGPA; 24AA, 22TS, 22 PAT
Out of state
notification via email
application complete early August
graduated 2019
research >1500 hours (at home university and abroad)
volunteer >500 hours
leadership position in school organization

I couldn’t believe it when I got the email yesterday..this is a dream come true (especially being OOS). One step closer :DD
Looking forward to applying for the DentStay interview housing and dinner :)

They only offered me Oct. 28th in the email, and said the only acceptable reasons to request a different date are having a medical emergency, having the DAT scheduled on that date, or having an exam scheduled. Pretty intense lol
Dang, if it’s going by last year, it must be the last pre-dec interview haha. I guess I’ll just keep waiting :( Good luck though!!

Is UCSF the only school that sends rejection letters before Dec?

Anyone know if they’re done sending out pre-dec interviews? :)

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if they’re done sending out pre-dec interviews? :)
So I called UCSF to reschedule my Oct 18th interview due to personal reasons and the lady on the phone told me the only available spot left was Oct 28th because someone dropped it. I'm not sure if this indicates all other dates are full

Does anyone have affordable hotel recommendations near the school? The rooms are so expensive :(
Yup. It’s alway expensive and anything decent is 300 plus. Your best bets are motor hotels in the outer Richmond and Sunset. Try Rodeway Inn and Geary Parkway.

Does anyone have affordable hotel recommendations near the school? The rooms are so expensive :(
Try AirBnB, my room was under $150 and it was 5 mins away from the school.

BEI San Francisco is worth checking out! They had a deal when I got a room but rates might still be good

Try AirBnB, my room was under $150 and it was 5 mins away from the school.
Also got an Airbnb ~$100 for the night. Hopefully that DentStay program will be able to accommodate some of us though, because I'd like to save money where I can...

is UCSF done with pre-December interviews? Does anyone know what the rest of the interview dates are?

Alright let's get this thread popping.......... Any advise for the interview? I got mine coming up and I have very limited time to prepare due to my full time job. Any advise is greatly appreciated!!

Has anyone here used dentstay for their interview? Mine is coming up but I haven't heard anything back from them and was also curious how the experience was

Has anyone here used dentstay for their interview? Mine is coming up but I haven't heard anything back from them and was also curious how the experience was

Mine is also coming up and I've heard nothing, too. As far as I know, they let us know only a week or so before.

Has anyone who has interviews in the next week (so 10/18 or 10/21) heard back from the DentStay program yet? I'm 10/21 and have yet to hear a peep.

Alright let's get this thread popping.......... Any advise for the interview? I got mine coming up and I have very limited time to prepare due to my full time job. Any advise is greatly appreciated!!
They sent an interview prep video that is literally 45 minutes long...

• Haha
Has anyone who has interviews in the next week (so 10/18 or 10/21) heard back from the DentStay program yet? I'm 10/21 and have yet to hear a peep.
I am also interviewing on 10/21 and have yet to hear back. I booked a hotel just in case. Hope we can hear back in some days.
Let me know if you hear anything! and look forward to meeting you there!!

I am also interviewing on 10/21 and have yet to hear back. I booked a hotel just in case. Hope we can hear back in some days.
Let me know if you hear anything! and look forward to meeting you there!!

Good to know that I'm not the only one. I have an Airbnb booked just in case. Look forward to meeting you!