THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone replaced their previous course with courses from UNE?
I noticed that 'Medical' is included into the title.
Would 'Medical General Chemistry' replace 'General Chemistry' ? I am having a big difficulty at my CC.

The course description for both courses should be identical so I don't see why Medical General Chemistry I shouldn't replace General Chemistry I.

Members don't see this ad.

The course description for both courses should be identical so I don't see why Medical General Chemistry I shouldn't replace General Chemistry I.
I was concerned if that "Medical" would be the reason why it wouldn't replace it :p
Also, I'm doing very bad on General Chemistry. So I might need to retake it; either at another CC or here.

I was concerned if that "Medical" would be the reason why it wouldn't replace it :p
Also, I'm doing very bad on General Chemistry. So I might need to retake it; either at another CC or here.

I recommend General Chemistry as a Second Language, and trying to do as many practice problems in your textbook as possible. UNE courses are harder than in-class courses, and some schools won't accept online courses. Really try to finish Gen Chem to the best of your abilities now, as it'll save you time, money, and effort later.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend General Chemistry as a Second Language, and trying to do as many practice problems in your textbook as possible. UNE courses are harder than in-class courses, and some schools won't accept online courses. Really try to finish Gen Chem to the best of your abilities now, as it'll save you time, money, and effort later.
Yeah, I'm planning to either retake them at UC. Going to do General Chem, Organic Chem, Physics and Bio at CC at my utmost ability. If I can't retake them at UC, I'll take UNE as an option (which sounds really good, given that I would have summer free).

Also, I bought the practice book you've mentioned. I will try to study as much as I can for the final and secure my B. :p

Last edited:
Hi, could someone help me out if you have a moment? Need some advice...

Hey guys, I want to take the following courses online at UNE for grade replacement, in this order:

-biochemistry
-medical bio 1
-medical bio 2

I'm a relatively busy person, and can realistically commit only 2-3 hours a day to online work. so I was just wondering if anyone could give me any idea of how long It will take to complete the 3 classes.

Side note- does anyone know if medical school admissions actually take an online biochem grade seriously? Not trying to sound condescending at all, I just don't have a lot of money- thank you so much in advance.

I'm planning to take the lab final for GenChem II at the end of this week, has anyone here taken it? Do I need to know super specific information like the colors of reagents used in the different labs? I am not quite sure what a lab final might consist of, to be honest. If anyone has taken this final for genchem II, I would really appreciate some guidance/advice/whatever in terms of what I ought to study or be ready for. Thanks in advance.

For anyone looking to an answer for this in the future, the lab final was cake. Basically I just looked up how to do every problem in the lab manual materials, which I was just generally familiar with. Most of the questions, probably around 80%, were literally just background info from the lab manual. The 'study guide' the prof gives you says that anything is fair game for the lab exam, but that's not true--I didn't get a single question about any actual experimental observations that I made or any data that I recorded (hmm maybe because the prof doesn't do the labs either?). Very easy I can't believe I was so worried and procrastinated taking it for so long!

Overall I am happy with my experience taking the course for three reasons 1) it was flexible and I work full time evenings, which as we know kills your schedule 2) this was for grade replacement only (got an A too!), to show that I am no longer the f@ck up that my freshman-in-college self was and 3) I didn't have to pay for the course out of pocket, I used an americorps scholarship to pay for it,which I had been saving for this purpose specifically. But I would NOT RECOMMEND UNE for anyone taking the a course for the first time, for someone who isn't literally wealthy or who has access to some kind of scholarship, and especially not for someone who has the time to be a full or part time student at a state university or community college. The quality of 'teaching', if you can call it that, is absolutely not up to par with what you pay for if you pay full price. I think if I want to take any more additional courses I'll just opt for CC night classes.

Reactions: 2 users
I studied biochem for the mcat, so I had a strong grasp on the course before I enrolled in it. But for me, it's not even comparable. The whole course felt like a bio course after the midterm. Also, a lot or most of the answers can be found in the book, and they were pretty simple. I got an A- in it, and I'm not particularly skilled in the organics.

UNE's Organic 1 required performing mechanisms, determine products, and doing nomenclature.

UNE's Organic 2 is like studying for a bio course. Read, memorize, and look up answers.

Note, there's no curve in the course.

That is excellent. I'm okay with reading and memorization! Too bad there is not a curve, but I can deal with that if the class isn't as bad. Thanks for the info!

Could someone who's taken unecom's online biochem course please fill me in on how much of a time commitment it is? I want to make sure I can handle it next semester alongside my two university courses and shadowing/volunteering/working part time. I've always been a crazy busy person so I'm used to it, but if it's an unreal
Amount of work, I would like to know what I'm getting myself into so I can perhaps time my registration for the course around spring break so I can knock out most of it over spring break. I already have a biochem background from self-teaching it for the mcat. Thanks so much!!

Quick question for those of you who have taken one of these courses: I have been accepted into 3 DO programs with the understanding that I am going to be taking O Chem II at my undergrad next semester before matriculating. However, I have to go to the university center (45 minutes drive away) to do this twice a week and would much rather do the course online through UNE. Would the schools be likely to accept this substitution for the one I put in on AACOMAS many months ago? Last thing I want is to drop the in person course to do the online version and end up having some sort of mishap. Thanks!

Quick question for those of you who have taken one of these courses: I have been accepted into 3 DO programs with the understanding that I am going to be taking O Chem II at my undergrad next semester before matriculating. However, I have to go to the university center (45 minutes drive away) to do this twice a week and would much rather do the course online through UNE. Would the schools be likely to accept this substitution for the one I put in on AACOMAS many months ago? Last thing I want is to drop the in person course to do the online version and end up having some sort of mishap. Thanks!
First of all congrats!!! Also, This is the most annoying answer ever, but: just call the school and ask. If you are worried about what they will
Think if you ask, then just do the commute. The last thing you want is someone on here giving you the wrong information mistakingly. These things tend to vary from school to school.

Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to share my opinion. I have taken a total of 4 courses with UNE. Chem 2, Organic 1, Organic 2, and Biochemistry.
All went extremely well. Don't worry about what anyone says about online courses.
I applied to NYU. The website did say they won't take any online courses.
Well it does not seem like they care because I was accepted on Tuesday.
I even asked during my interview and they could careless where I took it.
Trust me don't fear online classes or if they will be accepted.
Just do well in them and you will be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
I highly DO NOT recommend this but I took the medical biochem in 4 weeks and got a solid B. So for what its worth for anyone who is on a time stretch for any unusual circumstance, its possible. Though I did take the mcat last year, I had no prev exposure to biochem before that. And I worked part-time/studied my butt off about 6 hrs a day. Just a bit of helpful info for outliers/procrastinators out there. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Signing up for UNE O Chem II and Lab and starting next friday! Hoping to get it done in 6 weeks and send it to the schools that haven't gotten back to me about an II yet!

When you register for the class, it simply asks if you have the prerequisites. Well, at least for Organic 1. You do not have to turn in a transcript or anything to prove that you do.
that was one thing of many I liked about UNE's courses along with being self paced. It was what had held me back in the times I was in CC and did not pass the intro Chemistry course and counselors assumed I was not going to do well even though professors were like "wait you know this material why are you not in Chem. 101 already? "

To add to that does anyone know if the Bio 1 course or the Bio 2 course is open note and open book? like the chemistry courses are?

Signing up for UNE O Chem II and Lab and starting next friday! Hoping to get it done in 6 weeks and send it to the schools that haven't gotten back to me about an II yet!
good luck, but Im curious because your profile says you are a medical school student.. why are you taking O chem again?

good luck, but Im curious because your profile says you are a medical school student.. why are you taking O chem again?

I've been accepted this cycle but my university doesn't require ochem II so I have to take it before I can matriculate to Med school in the fall!

ah
I've been accepted this cycle but my university doesn't require ochem II so I have to take it before I can matriculate to Med school in the fall!
ah that makes sense.

Also being accepted to Alabama and you are a Rams fan???!!! ooooh boy you better watch out and learn to Roll Tide fast before you are found out lol :)

ah

ah that makes sense.

Also being accepted to Alabama and you are a Rams fan???!!! ooooh boy you better watch out and learn to Roll Tide fast before you are found out lol :)
Lol why would my NFL team make a difference to Bama fans? If anything my favorite college football team (USC Trojans) would get me in trouble!

For anyone looking to an answer for this in the future, the lab final was cake. Basically I just looked up how to do every problem in the lab manual materials, which I was just generally familiar with. Most of the questions, probably around 80%, were literally just background info from the lab manual. The 'study guide' the prof gives you says that anything is fair game for the lab exam, but that's not true--I didn't get a single question about any actual experimental observations that I made or any data that I recorded (hmm maybe because the prof doesn't do the labs either?). Very easy I can't believe I was so worried and procrastinated taking it for so long!

Overall I am happy with my experience taking the course for three reasons 1) it was flexible and I work full time evenings, which as we know kills your schedule 2) this was for grade replacement only (got an A too!), to show that I am no longer the f@ck up that my freshman-in-college self was and 3) I didn't have to pay for the course out of pocket, I used an americorps scholarship to pay for it,which I had been saving for this purpose specifically. But I would NOT RECOMMEND UNE for anyone taking the a course for the first time, for someone who isn't literally wealthy or who has access to some kind of scholarship, and especially not for someone who has the time to be a full or part time student at a state university or community college. The quality of 'teaching', if you can call it that, is absolutely not up to par with what you pay for if you pay full price. I think if I want to take any more additional courses I'll just opt for CC night classes.

for me the lab final for Chem 1010 was hard. Some of the questions were like wtf??! and were not even able to be found in the notes. not all of them were from the experiments as well which made me wonder what was going on. The lecture exams themselves were cake, in fact many of them were found in the book lifted straight from them.

Im wondering if Bio 1 and 2 are open note and open book as well. Also if Ochem is also.

Lol why would my NFL team make a difference to Bama fans? If anything my favorite college football team (USC Trojans) would get me in trouble!
touche lol. and yAAY on being a Trojans fan and not a Booins fan. Blasted stuck ups lol

UNE Biochem is just straight up stupid course and the way its been taught is even more stupid. But why should I be complaining, I pulled of a B in just 4 1/2 wks...!!!!
Willing to help anyone going through this torture course PM me

Reactions: 5 users
UNE Biochem is just straight up stupid course and the way its been taught is even more stupid. But why should I be complaining, I pulled of a B in just 4 1/2 wks...!!!!

so pretty much what is learned in it, is no help for the MCAT I presume?

Is anyone taking UNE biochem right now or has recently taken it? Im starting to work on Unit 2 and just have some questions!

so pretty much what is learned in it, is no help for the MCAT I presume?
It's not necessarily that what's taught in it is not helpful for the MCAT, it's that the course focuses too much on memorizing minutia at the expense of actually understanding the material on a deeper level. By understanding the material at a deeper level, I don't mean memorizing minutia. I mean actually being able to apply what you learn to new situations which is what the MCAT primarily tests for. It's pretty easy to get a C to B, but anything higher than that will require significant work. I just finished the Week 16 material (took me 16 weeks to get to this point). Gonna spend 1-1.5 weeks studying for the final, then take it. I'm going to write a full review of the course a little after that if you're still on the fence about taking it or not.

Reactions: 1 users
Does any one have experience with the UNE Online Anatomy and Physiology course? I am getting ready to take my Unit 1 exam and was wondering if any one has specific tips for studying? Should you know all of the muscle insertions and origins? Are the lab practical images the same as the Human Anatomy online images? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

It's not necessarily that what's taught in it is not helpful for the MCAT, it's that the course focuses too much on memorizing minutia at the expense of actually understanding the material on a deeper level. By understanding the material at a deeper level, I don't mean memorizing minutia. I mean actually being able to apply what you learn to new situations which is what the MCAT primarily tests for. It's pretty easy to get a C to B, but anything higher than that will require significant work. I just finished the Week 16 material (took me 16 weeks to get to this point). Gonna spend 1-1.5 weeks studying for the final, then take it. I'm going to write a full review of the course a little after that if you're still on the fence about taking it or not.
please do. Im considering taking it at UCLA extension or something like that same with the Biology courses instead of taking the UNE ones.

How is this program? Anyone have a FAQ? I was thinking about retaking a bunch of core pre-reqs for grade replacement.

Trying to figure out if they have a payment plan for tuition, but I can't find anything concrete. Does anyone know for certain?

I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about UNE biochem. Are there any other biochem courses that are online or is this pretty much it?

I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about UNE biochem. Are there any other biochem courses that are online or is this pretty much it?

The other frequently mentioned online biochem course is at the Berkeley extension school. The opinions of that course seem significantly worse than the opinions on UNE biochem. Colorado State University has one that gets positive reviews. It is not self-paced though. And its syllabus is not as robust as the other courses. For example, the syllabus doesn't satisfy the TMDSAS requirements for a biochem course (although people report taking the CSU course and getting in to TMDSAS schools, so who knows).

Ah thanks! I think I'll call the school I'm interviewing at and see if they accept it. If not, I'll take UNE. May suck but at least it satisfies the requirement.
The other frequently mentioned online biochem course is at the Berkeley extension school. The opinions of that course seem significantly worse than the opinions on UNE biochem. Colorado State University has one that gets positive reviews. It is not self-paced though. And its syllabus is not as robust as the other courses. For example, the syllabus doesn't satisfy the TMDSAS requirements for a biochem course (although people report taking the CSU course and getting in to TMDSAS schools, so who knows).

Has anyone taken the Genetics course recently? I'd love to hear about it. I need to find a Genetics course to take soon and am wondering if this is a good one.

Anyone? I'm starting the genetics course starting next week, so I would appreciate any comments and advice. Thank you.

My opinion so far is that the registration is very easy, but the course itself is very expensive. Tuition itself is $1300 (4 cr.)+ textbook and online access ($300 from their bookstore) + two separate programs (not sure about the price) that I need to purchase for the lab portion. I'm just hoping they won't charge me anything for online proctoring. I would have chosen UC Berkley extension if I wasn't so short on time. It's only 3 cr. ($800), but they charge for online proctor ($100 per exam). I need to get this course done before June.
Did you complete this course? I'd love to hear your feedback. I'm considering taking it :).

I am thinking of taking genetics and biochem at the same time I only work weekends. Is this doable, to get a good grade? I need like B+ or better for grade replacement.

Also, take a look at these:

UC Berkeley Biology
Introductory Biology A & B (Self-Paced 16-17)
http://extension.berkeley.edu/search/publicCourseSearchDetails.do?method=load&courseId=41582
http://extension.berkeley.edu/search/publicCourseSearchDetails.do?method=load&courseId=41583

Not sure if 'Introductory' title would cause any problem (e.g. not General Biology thus can't fulfill prerequisite)
But these two courses are solid 10 semester units. Around 300 dollars cheaper, not sure how much MasteringBiology + etext would cost (around $70 to rent, I assume).

I looked at UCB but everyone gave bad reviews of them. I didn't want it to be impossible to get a B+ or higher.

(deleted)

Last edited:
How is it going? Does it seem doable? Would you recommend it?

In the grand scope of things- were all talking about going to medical school here. If an online biochemistry course kills you it might be a good indicator that you wont have a great time in the big show.

Im an optimist, though! The course is tough and like others have said there is heavy emphasis on minutiae. I DO feel like I have learned quite a bit especially concerning Unit 2 material. For the record, I receive ~$2000 of tuition reimbursement each year through work so the financial aspect of taking a UNE class didn't come into play for me.

Last edited:
Ill let you know after Thursday! In the grand scope of things- were all talking about going to medical school here. If an online biochemistry course kills you it might be a good indicator that you wont have a great time in the big show.

Im an optimist, though! The course is tough and like others have said there is heavy emphasis on minutiae. I DO feel like I have learned quite a bit especially concerning Unit 2 material. For the record, I receive ~$2000 of tuition reimbursement each year through work so the financial aspect of taking a UNE class didn't come into play for me.

Could not agree more with the statement in bold.

Good luck on your test. I recommend focusing 99% of your efforts on the Unit 2 material (as opposed to Unit 1). Know the pathways cold, to include the enzymes and what inhibits/activates said enzymes. Also know the signaling cascades cold. Once you've know then, go through the lectures again at 1.5 speed and make note of anything she says that you don't already know. Do it second time if necessary. Literally everything tested is in the lectures.

Has anyone taken the Genetics course recently? I'd love to hear about it. I need to find a Genetics course to take soon and am wondering if this is a good one.

I am thinking of taking genetics and biochem at the same time I only work weekends. Is this doable, to get a good grade? I need like B+ or better for grade replacement.

I recently finished the Genetics course. I'd recommend the class--it was informative and relatively straightforward. All of the tests are open book, but they're hard enough that it's still a challenge to complete the unit exams on time. Dr. Frisardi is very helpful and her lectures are actually worth watching in my opinion.

I also took the biochem course (separately, last year) and I can say this one is much more challenging. Closed notes on all tests so get ready for some serious flash cards. I'd recommend this also, it really helped me get the material on lock before I took the MCAT last September.

This was the most helpful post being that I want to take both courses. Thanks.

I recently finished the Genetics course. I'd recommend the class--it was informative and relatively straightforward. All of the tests are open book, but they're hard enough that it's still a challenge to complete the unit exams on time. Dr. Frisardi is very helpful and her lectures are actually worth watching in my opinion.

Thank you so much for posting! Can you elaborate on whether it is feasible to get an A in genetics with regular studying (or is it one of those courses that is crazy difficult because of the setup)? Also, how responsive is the professor to emails? Is the course difficult to finish in 2 or 3 months (with working and other things)?

I messaged this person hoping to get some study routine advice and he offered to sell me test answers. Not sure how that would work because the proctored exams aren't available to review after you take them. I turned him down (and EARNED a high "B" on my Unit 2 Biochem exam today).

Pretty shady, yo!

Thank you so much for posting! Can you elaborate on whether it is feasible to get an A in genetics with regular studying (or is it one of those courses that is crazy difficult because of the setup)? Also, how responsive is the professor to emails? Is the course difficult to finish in 2 or 3 months (with working and other things)?

I'd say it's definitely feasible--I flaked out on my discussion posts but still pulled of an A after all (barely). The tests are open notes but you definitely need to understand the material first. Time for completion--I took the extension but I was going through some weird times at work and didn't have as much time as I thought I would.

The professor I had (Frisardi) was very responsive to emails. She even sent us news articles sometimes when genetic technology was in the news. She's very thorough when grading written assignments with detailed responses so it makes the writing worthwhile.

I messaged this person hoping to get some study routine advice and he offered to sell me test answers. Not sure how that would work because the proctored exams aren't available to review after you take them. I turned him down (and EARNED a high "B" on my Unit 2 Biochem exam today).

Pretty shady, yo!

Yeah, they're stepping up their game when it comes to cheating so don't test it. Unless he took screenshots or detailed notes on each question I'm not sure how he would have them. My section got an email about using quizlet answers for labs and threatening the academic integrity agreement so they're serious about it.

As for a biochem study routine, I spent a lot of time drawing cycles/molecules/etc and labeling everything from memory until I could do it in my sleep. I made sure I could draw everything from the chapter/lecture before moving to the next. Once the tests start I took five minutes to redraw everything on my notes--that really helps to dump information before you get bogged down from the exam. Pulled of an A only thanks to the class curve.

Hope this helps! I've gotten a lot out of these forums so I like to give back when I can.