SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by ForensicOdontology, Feb 8, 2015.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. BlueAvocado

BlueAvocado MD/DO Hopeful Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2002
    I am planning to take BioChem this October and there are four different professors available. Morris, Sengupta, Pitcairn and LeClair, any suggestions as to who would be a better professor that is responsive in replies and considers giving credit after errors have been found in the curriculum. Also, one that curves the grade/test/quizzes? Thank you!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. reaperx58

reaperx58 2+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2014
    First time I've logged on here in God knows how long, but I've got an inbox full of people asking me about these classes because I posted that I took 3 of them years ago, so I decided to try and answer all of their questions here for future reference. (Sorry to everyone I never answered)

1) Yes I was accepted and no, no one I applied to cared that these courses were online, but the smart play is always to call everyone you plan on applying to and asking them what their official policy is.

2) No, the class did not prepare me for the MCAT. Neither did my OCHEM class I took at my traditional 4 year undergrad, neither has any other often course every taught. No one gets ready for the MCAT by taking prereq classes, you get ready for it by doing good MCAT prep, so don't even let the MCAT be a determining factor.

3) That being said, just to be thorough, the quality of class is on par with a community college type class. The book written for it is geared towards a wide range of health professionals, STNAs, nurses, DOCs, etc, and so is the class.

4) The class is damn expensive. You are paying for the convenience of doing it at your own pace from your couch. I took these classes because I wanted to get grade replacement done as quickly as possible and worked through 3 classes and 2 labs in about 3 weeks each, but if I had the time I would have taken classes at a traditional cc and paid about 1/3 as much. (No one cares if you take cc classes either)

Think those are the most common questions, feel free to send me more direct messages if you want but I can't promise I'll get to them in quick order but I'll try.

4. mpa19

mpa19

Oct 5, 2017
    I just got an account on here so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place so sorry in advance if I mess up!

I am planning on taking two online courses over the summer from UC Berkley. I want to take microbiology and biostatistics. I don't want to take them for credit. I just want to take them to say that I took them because I know that these are both courses that many med schools list as recommended. I took quantitative methods which is a stats course at my college and it is required for my major. Since I took this course, I was not allowed to take a traditional stats course, but I am nervous that some med schools will not count it as a stats course. Microbiology will not fit into my schedule before I submit my application to med schools. So I have a few questions based on this:

-If I submit my applications in June 2017 and I take the courses Summer 2017, can I send my certificates of competition for theses courses to med schools to be considered as part of my application?

- Do you think it is necessary to take biostatistics or am I ok?

-How will it look if I take microbiology online over the summer? Will it look like I took it over the summer because I thought I wasn't going to do well? Will they say I should have planned out my schedule better? Will they look at it and say she just took this course to make her application better and be annoyed with that? (you know how they say application officers look at your resume and write off things that you clearly did just to put on your resume)

-Do you have any suggestions of a place that might be better to take courses from?

Thank you very much for your help!!

ptm33 likes this.
  5. The Perpetual Student

The Perpetual Student

Oct 2, 2017
    Anyone here successfully get their science letter(s) from UNE? If so, what were your grades, who were they from, and how often did you talk with the professor?

6. Beegee123

Beegee123

Oct 13, 2017
    Has anyone successfully remediated or retaken and grade replaced a course through UNE online? I can’t find anything in the policy regarding such requests.

7. btam

btam

Oct 19, 2017
    Hi all,

I am looking to start the Chem II Chemistry 1011 Lecture and Lab and was wondering if anyone has the week by week syllabus? I just want to know the extent of chapters covered etc. Thanks!

8. __AVI8R__

__AVI8R__

Oct 15, 2017
    Has anyone successfully taken Chem 1 or Biol 1 in a single month? I'm thinking of taking it during winter semester break. I ask only because I've never taken any science course in a single month.

9. bmspirit76

bmspirit76

Aug 29, 2016
    Has anyone ever considered the online courses at University of Rochester School of Nursing? Looks similar to UNE but significantly cheaper

ptm33 likes this.
  10. ikenna_jr

ikenna_jr

Oct 2, 2017

What does thr OCHEM lab 1 comprise of? just quizzes? or is there a final for the lab? I'm starting the ochem 1 lab next week. pm me if you will be willing to assist and answer a few questions i'll have please

11. dptapplicant34

dptapplicant34

Nov 30, 2016
    Hey everyone,

I'm currently taking the Medical General Chemistry 1 course and I am having trouble getting ready for the mid term. Is their any suggestions for studying or having things ready for the test. I know it is open book but in my past experience open book means the problems are that much harder. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

12. btam

btam

Oct 19, 2017
    I just finished the General Chem I 1010 course on the 11th and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was taking another course (an accelerated 6-week class) at the same time, so I really neglected the chem until I realized I had less than half the "semester" left to finish everything! Unfortunately that meant that I did not properly prepare for the midterm, so I really can't give you good studying suggestions there.

From my experience, the powerpoint "lectures" did not help me understand much at all. The professor was basically just reading the textbook and using the exact same examples. The best resources I found were khan academy and the crash course chemistry videos on youtube. They helped to break down the big concepts into more easily digestible material so I had a basic understanding of what on earth the textbook was talking about. I think it is worth a shot to watch those videos first, then try the info in the textbook and practice problems.

As for the exams themselves - many of the problems are similar to those in the weekly quizzes. Also, you have enough time to look things up in the textbook. If I got stumped, I'd look up the keyword in the index and read through the correlating info in the book. (Sometimes it was even word-for-word the same sentence.) The worst thing about the exam is that they don't tell you what you got wrong, so you can't even work on your understanding for the final.

Side note - make sure you're acing those quizzes and discussions. 10 points doesn't seem like much, but it bumped my grade from an A- to an A in the end, so don't blow them off!

13. Mother_of_Dragons2

Mother_of_Dragons2

Jun 19, 2017
    Organic Chemistry 1020 with Professor Mayan (June 2017-October 2017)
    I finally finished my class with a B. I will say that I only got it due to the curve at the end and working through the problems in the chapters. I made the worst mistake of trying to study for the MCAT, take this class, and move across the country all at the same time. Worst mistake of my life, but I think I still got a pretty decent grade with all things considered. I also waited until September to start studying for the course, so that took a toll as well.

First Half and Midterm
    The first half was slightly difficult, but manageable. I did the best on this part of the course. I read the chapters and did the homework for each. The book explained the concepts very well in my opinion and it helped me to connect together a lot of info I came across when I studied for the chem/phys section of the MCAT. I did okay on the midterm. I did not take as many notes, so I mostly used my book and printed out quizzes for this part and took other posters' advice on skipping the lectures.

Second Half and Final
    The second half was so much more difficult for me. There were so many different reactions with each functional group. I felt overwhelmed! I was working full time and trying to finish up the second half in the only three-ish weeks that I had left. I definitely recommend making a quick reference/glossary of each functional group with its reactions and the substances used in the reactions. It would have saved me so much time and I would have had much more points if I would have consolidated all of it together. Plus, a much more in-depth understanding and more practice would have helped me as well, but that is neither here nor there now. For the exam, I had my notes, my book, printed quizzes, and a word document that I printed out with tidbits I found helpful from stuff I found online while studying and doing the homework. My book was my best resource but it also took more time away from me. I created a table of contents for the midterm and final to help me quickly find certain topics in the book during the test.

Biggest Takeaway
    The class was much more difficult than the second semester of organic chem through UNE. I took this class before at my institution, but I did horribly due to missing class from the medical issues I was having at the time. I am glad I took it again through UNE and got a much better understanding of the material. I think the book was wonderful and definitely helped me a lot. I hope I helped answer at least a few people's questions they may have had about the course. I definitely recommend Chegg to help with studying. It had the answers to the book's homework and explanations for the answers, which helped me check my answers and understand why I missed it. It is also helpful with the quizzes.

chunkyfilms and __AVI8R__ like this.
  14. lillytn8

lillytn8

Sep 12, 2017
    I just finished my final yesterday. Did you have to email him to let him know that you finished the course? Also, how long did it take for him to notify you of your grade? I sent him a message through blackboard letting him know that I finished. I'm wondering if I should've emailed him through the une student email instead.

15. Mother_of_Dragons2

Mother_of_Dragons2

Jun 19, 2017
    I didn’t email him. I’m not sure when he sent the message with my final grade. I would have to log back in and check the date. I checked my messages a week after I took the final exam and saw the grade.

lillytn8 likes this.
  16. dptapplicant34

dptapplicant34

Nov 30, 2016

Thanks so much for replying I really appreciate it! I will definiley go over the crash courses on youtube, I was mainly afraid I wouldn't have enought time to look things up. I'm definiltey not the best with chem so I'm really relying on being able to use the book and all the example problems.

17. __AVI8R__

__AVI8R__

Oct 15, 2017
    I've checked with NYIT and they accept online courses for pre-reqs but your bachelors degree must primarily be in person.

ptm33 and chunkyfilms like this.
  18. L.A.JohnAF

L.A.JohnAF

Mar 17, 2017
    Has anyone taken UNE O Chem with Edmund Klinkerch? Can anyone provide insight on how he runs/operates and how interactive he is in answer questions about the course.

19. Medic2MD4me

Medic2MD4me 7+ Year Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Has anyone taken the physics II course? Do you have any of the lab stuff for sale?

20. lb125

lb125

Nov 17, 2017
    Hey there starting online biochemistry (CHEM 1005) tomorrow any tips/tricks?

21. lb125

lb125

Nov 17, 2017

Hey can you pm me I have some questions about UNE biochem Im starting it tomorrow

22. btam

btam

Oct 19, 2017
    Hey all,
    Someone once mentioned having an extra lab paq for the chem 2 course (unopened and unregistered with UNE). If anyone still has that, please PM me!! I am about to purchase mine but thought I would check here just in case

23. Daddu_Apple

Daddu_Apple

Thursday
    Hi Guys!

I just finished UNE OCHEM 1020 with Dr. Manyan. The class was not so difficult compared to the on-campus OCHEM class I took. You can definitely complete the class in 4-5 weeks. Therefore I think it was manageable. The main issue was the time to complete the mid term and the final. I received 90+ on the final. If you guys need any help for knowing the maps and materials I used, then be sure to DM me.

24. PashaOdesit

PashaOdesit Nobel Prize Recipient Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Feb 4, 2017
    Siberia State
    Can you elaborate, please?

25. Daddu_Apple

Daddu_Apple

Thursday
    I studied using the maps made by me and by doing practice problems from the book. Regardless I felt like there wasn't enough time to complete the exams. The questions were like either you know them or you don't. My notes really helped me. (they saved me)