THE OFFICIAL UNE ONLINE COURSE THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr. Ellerbe was great when I took it last fall.

I will warn you, though, that an A will be tough to pull off if you struggled in Gen Chem. UNE’s Orgo 1 is difficult. The good news is that their Orgo 2 is a cakewalk compared to Orgo 1.
Im taking org1 right now. So far, it hasn't been too bad. I'm taking the midterm soon though. Any advice on how to study? Were some questions directly from old quizzes/from the book?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm taking physics 2 now while working full time. I started Dec. 6 (course end date is Mar. 28) but I'm about 3/4 of the way through the course. If you are just trying to get through and pass you could definitely work through it a lot faster, but I have the time and really want an A so I've been going through everything cautiously to make sure I do very well.

I am in a bit of a bind. I didn't think I was getting into school and then I just got my acceptance email. I thought I had the summer to take Physics II and now I am in a pinch in order to finish it by June. Can you give me any insight into this course. I have already talked to my school and said this would be a good option and also I just am looking to pass with a "C."

Any help would be greatly appreciated who may have taken this course already. I am looking to commit all of my extra time to this and finish it as fast as I can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im taking org1 right now. So far, it hasn't been too bad. I'm taking the midterm soon though. Any advice on how to study? Were some questions directly from old quizzes/from the book?

There were no repeat questions on the midterm from what I remember. If it's still open book, I would make sure to have pages marked or a reference sheet available so you can find things in the book quickly. I studied my old quizzes and re-did practice questions from the textbook. Hope that helps!

Hi all, I'm looking into taking the Med Chem 1 course with lab. A couple questions about the course that'd I'd appreciate feedback on!

1) is the labpaq necessary? Is the lab kit necessary? I've seen some people selling their unused labpaqs, so I wonder if it were even worth my money to buy the labpaq and/or lab kit.
2) how difficult would these courses be to complete in under 16-weeks? I don't quite want to spend 16 weeks on it, and would love to hear how quickly people got through the course.

Just took the Organic 2 Midterm and got a 94. Spent the past few days rewriting all of the lectures and supplementing with Khan Academy. Did not own the Carey supplement and did not do very many of the questions in the Carey supplement. Many questions on the exam were taken verbatim from the lecture handouts. No repeated questions from quizzes. Open to answering general questions about this exam.

Who is your professor? I’m taking it from Edmund k. Do you think taking the midterm with just the lecture slides would be enough to get a decent grade or do you have to supplement with khan academy? Were there a lot of calculations/reactions/structures like in ochem 1? Thank you!!!!

I have Dr. Gianatassio. I only supplemented with Khan Academy for spectroscopy because I really did not get very much from lecturer through UNE. They do a great job of helping analyze proton NMR spectra and IR spectra. It also helped clarify some separation technique topics. Unfortunately they did not have Carbon 13 NMR (not that I could find at least). Another thing to add.. you need to be able to draw structures given only the IUPAC name. I took organic 1 4 years ago so I did struggle a little with that. A few questions surprised me, but I don't know if these were the ones I got wrong. Calculations are pretty straight forward using the basic formulas that are given to you in the lectures. You absolutely need a calculator. If you have been diligent about doing the homework and chapter problems and have a good grasp on NMR and IR spectra (as well as mass spectroscopy and UV-Vis to a lesser extent), then you may not need to use Khan. Again, I did not have the Carey supplement at all during the exam, but the charts for IR and NMR spectra are needed which I hand wrote. Hope this helps
Thank you so much for the tips! Please let me know how the final for lecture and lab are if you have a chance. Good luck on the remainder of the course!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Currently taking UNE Genetics with Prof Ryan. If anyone has taken the course, would you say that the material on the test comes entirely from the textbook? Or do her lectures highlight the material from the textbook that is important/will be found on the chapter tests/unit exams? Right now, I am tediously outlining every chapter of the book - any advice on how to progress through the course more efficiently?

Planning on taking Ochem I through UNE. Any recommendations for professors?

Hi guys I just started UNE OCHEM 1 and was wondering what is the best option in buying the books?

or if the book is even necessary and what about the pearson mastering chemistry?

Last edited:
I'll be starting the medical biochemistry course tomorrow for a PCOM-GA pre-requisite. Any input/classmates?

EDIT: Just because I have not seen this information posted anywhere and the last post about it was from 2012:

PCOM-GA will accept UNE Online's Medical Biochemistry course as a prerequisite requirement.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone taken the anatomy course? how was it and can you complete it in less than 16 weeks?

Uh, Okay?
Lol jk,

I’m taking Orgo 1 rn and it’s pretty chill haha

What are you studying at PCOM-GA?
I have applied to their MS program at Philly, and I’m waiting to hear back.

Last edited:
has anyone taken the anatomy course? how was it and can you complete it in less than 16 weeks?

You can compelete any course In less than 16 weeks, I’ve taken anatomy online and in my
opinion I think anatomy is one of those courses that is more difficult online because it’s a more hands on course your really learn in the lab setting. it’s doable online although not the ideal setting.

Anyone done with medical biochem (i have leclair) and can give any study tips for exam 4?? i can see the light at the end of the tunnel lmao

Anyone take microbio at UNE? I took a bunch of other courses at UNE and willing to help those who need to trade info and stuff.

You can compelete any course In less than 16 weeks, I’ve taken anatomy online and in my
opinion I think anatomy is one of those courses that is more difficult online because it’s a more hands on course your really learn in the lab setting. it’s doable online although not the ideal setting.
Thanks! I was planning to take the course in person but the program I was accepted to starts before the course would end. I am hoping to finish the anatomy course in ~7 weeks. How did you study your online class? Any tips or advice?

Hey all,
Just finished the Medical Chem II or 1011 if anyone has any questions. I also have a brand new labpaq unopened and unused (and all the lab instructions/data tables/analyses) if anyone needs it. From HOL science its $255 + $20 for shipping :inpain:

How was the lab final and lecture final?
any suggestions on how to conquer it without having a panic attack?

Just took the Organic II lecture final and scored a 61/65 (93.8%). I did not study at all and was able to look up every question in the book. Willing to answer any questions, just PM me.

Edit: I am planning on taking the Microbio final in a couple days, so any tips for that exam would be very much appreciated.

Hi, I am about to start orgo 2 with lab on April 4th ,any tips how to study and how to finish it fast ?
Thanks

Does anyone know how long it takes LeClair to post your final grade for medical biochem? I finished my exam at 12:30 last night (ended up with a C+ THANK GOD) and emailed her right after I was done and saw my average in blackboard.

So guys - for the medical general chemistry labs, is it actually important to complete the data sections in the lab manual?

I'm having serious space issues on my computer; it takes some work to even store a picture file - have to clear out previous .jpgs, etc., to have any room at all. I literally reformatted my hard drive last week and got warnings about space as soon as I installed word, excel, and a spyware/antivirus program, with nothing else on the disk.

It's going to be a real pain in the butt taking all these pictures of things, uploading them so I can stick them in the data tables, and then immediately having to delete them off my computer again to make space for the next picture. Is this even necessary? Can I pass the course without ever having to upload the files the lab manual wants me to?

Thanks. :)

@btam, @Dr.ma22

Hi guys, hows the organic chemistry II lab class at UNE online? I am considering taking it but would love some feedback first.

If you just want to pass with a C, it can totally be done. Track your grades carefully, and you should be able to stop once you hit that point. Also, spend the 20$ a month on chegg study. All of the homework questions are answered in it, makes it easy to get all of those points and helps reinforce content. Don't bother reading the chapters, but do watch the videos. There are only 2 tests that are proctored, everything else is just timed so make sure you have resources set up for quick access!

Got time to chat about the course a bit more? Maybe over email? I don't have enough posts to PM you. But I would really appreciate any help.

Hi all, I'm looking into taking the Med Chem 1 course with lab. A couple questions about the course that'd I'd appreciate feedback on!

1) is the labpaq necessary? Is the lab kit necessary? I've seen some people selling their unused labpaqs, so I wonder if it were even worth my money to buy the labpaq and/or lab kit.
2) how difficult would these courses be to complete in under 16-weeks? I don't quite want to spend 16 weeks on it, and would love to hear how quickly people got through the course.

1) The lab work may be more or less necessary depending on the instructor. I was not graded on my submissions through HOL, but the labs did help me on the lab quizzes and final. You will absolutely need the write ups from the lab with the background readings and instructions, because those readings are essentially what they quiz you on weekly and the entirety of the lab final. I know some of the lab final questions came word-for-word from the lab readings. I don't remember Chem 1 but I know there were a few weeks during Chem 2 where the questions on the lab quiz asked about my results from the lab.
2) You can definitely get through these in less than 16 weeks! You will just have to be diligent about getting everything done. I wound up using the full 16 weeks but that's because I took another class in the middle of my allotted 16 weeks and didn't open blackboard or look at chem until I finished my accelerated summer course. I would say I probably spent about 8 or 9 weeks on it.

So guys - for the medical general chemistry labs, is it actually important to complete the data sections in the lab manual?

I'm having serious space issues on my computer; it takes some work to even store a picture file - have to clear out previous .jpgs, etc., to have any room at all. I literally reformatted my hard drive last week and got warnings about space as soon as I installed word, excel, and a spyware/antivirus program, with nothing else on the disk.

It's going to be a real pain in the butt taking all these pictures of things, uploading them so I can stick them in the data tables, and then immediately having to delete them off my computer again to make space for the next picture. Is this even necessary? Can I pass the course without ever having to upload the files the lab manual wants me to?

Thanks. :)

@btam, @Dr.ma22

I am not sure if different instructors look at your lab work, but mine (Capps) didn't. My lab grade was based entirely off quizzes and the final. I probably could have posted the same file over and over for the photos/graphs, but that's only because I really don't think the instructor even checked that we completed anything on HOL. Maybe ask around and see if anyone else had instructors that checked the labs?

How was the lab final and lecture final?
any suggestions on how to conquer it without having a panic attack?

Hey sorry just saw this!
The lab final was fine, just make sure to print out all the labs - background readings, in addition to your lab report on HOL. Some questions were taken word-for-word from the background readings. I had more than enough time to answer everything, then go back and check my answers against the lab write ups again, and I finished the exam early with an A. (Not sure of the exact percentage since I'm locked out of the course on blackboard now)
I think the lecture final was tougher, but still had enough time to look things up in the text book. I had trouble with the questions where they show you a compound and you have to give the IUPAC name, because the ones in the exam were more complex than the ones in practice and lab questions. They probably change up the questions, but it would be good to brush up on those since they definitely ate up a chunk of my time. Have you felt confident about the material up until now? I supplemented the semester with all the Khan Academy videos online and I think they definitely helped with my overall comprehension and exam prep

I am currently in the Medical Chem 1010 and just curious if anyone has any experience with this class and how the midterm or final compares to the weekly lecture quizzes? Are the midterm and final mostly calculation problems? Thanks in advance!

I am currently in the Medical Chem 1010 and just curious if anyone has any experience with this class and how the midterm or final compares to the weekly lecture quizzes? Are the midterm and final mostly calculation problems? Thanks in advance!
There aren't any repeat questions from the quizzes on the midterm or final, but I think the quizzes are a good indication of the types of problems on the exams. There are calculations and also some fill in the blank/multiple choice questions that are taken from the text book (almost word-for-word). Definitely keep your textbook close by and have the index easily accessible! I was able to double-check the "concept" questions in the book by looking up the main keyword and flipping to that page. You may not have time to do that for every single one (especially if you take longer on the calculation-type questions), so you shouldn't count on being able to look every question up, but it is a good safety net if you have time. Open book exams are definitely the best part of these courses!

Thanks! I was planning to take the course in person but the program I was accepted to starts before the course would end. I am hoping to finish the anatomy course in ~7 weeks. How did you study your online class? Any tips or advice?

Follow the lecture objectives and learn what is asked of you. I didn’t take Anatomy online at UNE but it’s essentially the same.

Best, MDO5

Hey, If anyone needs UNE Med Chem 2 LabPaq, I am selling it!!! It's brand new and has not been used!!

Just took the Organic II lecture final and scored a 61/65 (93.8%). I did not study at all and was able to look up every question in the book. Willing to answer any questions, just PM me.

Edit: I am planning on taking the Microbio final in a couple days, so any tips for that exam would be very much appreciated.
Hey! Did you ever take your final for mircobio? How was it?

Lol jk,

I'll be starting the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine program in Georgia come August :)

Is anyone taking organic chem I now ? Would love to get some tips!!

Lol jk,

Can you please give me some tips on how the organic chem I course is going ? For the midterm and final, what did you find was most helpful. Is it true that the questions come from the end of the chapters questions?

I have a bachelors from another university in an unrelated topic, but took all of my pre-reqs online. Most of them at UNE. Here's my $0.02.

Chemistry I - with R. Rowe. Her lectures were a little boring. She seems like a really nice lady, but her voice is kinda monotone so it's hard to listen attentively. Overall, it wasn't horrible.

Chemistry II - w. J. McMillin. Was terrible. She uses Rowe's lectures and notes and is the last instructor I would choose to take this class from. I would personally dissuade anyone from taking her lecture either. I remember a discussion post that I completed all of her requirements and she gave me a really low grade because "I didn't answer the question" even though it was there, as plain as the nose on your face or "respond to other classmates comments" even though I provided meaningful feedback. Luckily, she gave me the opportunity to redo it and I replied to a classmate with the very generic "great job researching this topic..." response and I magically received a 5/5. Plus, I feel like her tests were intentionally tricky; like she felt she had to make it hard to prove something. I remember studying and making great review notecards only to get to the test and have zero information from the notecards on there. She also failed to post my final grades so on my transcript, I had incompletes. She fixed her error but that was a nice small panic attack. Least favorite professor at UNE and that says a lot considering I haven't said anything about statistics.

Organic I - w. I can't remember his name but he sounds like Bernie Sanders. It was hard. So hard, but the material is hard and the professor is generous at grading time. Plus he emails you re: your final grade and tells you thanks/good luck which was a super nice touch.

Organic II - w. R. Rowe. Not as hard as Org I. Interesting information and like I think most people have said on here, easy to complete.

Bio I - w. S. Henry. Awesome. She really is a great professor. She communicates frequently and is an active participant in course discussions. Would recommend without a doubt.

Bio II - G. Fisher. Also great. Would also recommend.

Anatomy - The course is listed under one professors name, but is taught by a gentleman with a French accent that takes some getting used to. I had to rewind lectures many times to re-listen to what I was being told. Lab is absolutely horrible. It's just a bunch of badly taken photos and memorization. Retook this course elsewhere and did a million times better.

Statistics - L. Koban. No. Find this course somewhere else online. The book she uses is awful. I had blazing fast internet at home and yet somehow the way her lectures were recorded made them take almost an entire day to get through. There are reviews of her on ratemyprofessor that will give you the full picture. I don't for one second doubt that she knows what she's teaching, but her delivery of it and subsequent questions/assistance are awful. Ended up retaking this course at another school and did so much better.

Microbiology - M. Frisardi. Tons of work, but really informative and great. Grades quickly too. Her lectures are a little scattered, but there's a lot of info and she really makes you retain what is learned.

So that's my opinion on the courses I've taken at UNE. Would I do it again? Maybe for some of them, but at the time they were the first school I found and I jumped. I'd encourage someone without a timeline to look around. Except for the Bio and Microbio classes. They're worth it.

BIOCHEMISTRY 1005

I have started the Biochemistry course @ UNE (Start date: early April 2018), so if anyone else is concurrently taking it and wants to discuss concepts, has questions, and/or wants to bounce ideas off each other -- please feel free to DM me. The best way to learn is to teach! Also, really helpful to have others to bounce info on since the instructors seem to be fairly busy and slow to respond!

I have completed weeks 1, 2, & 3, and I'm currently 1/2 the way through week 4! It seems like every other week is more dense in regards to material. I'm watching the videos at 1.5x (sometimes at 2x) the normal speed, and I'm moving through this stuff pretty fast, because I have a week off from work & a lot of this stuff is more detailed version of what I just studied for the MCAT (which I take in 1 month!!!) The current plan is to finish this course in 8 weeks as opposed to the 16 allotted, so I'll be moving through the material fast, and then taking a good ~1-2 weeks to study up for the midterm proctored exam and then again ~1-2 weeks to study solely for the final proctored exam. I'm making an ANKI deck for this material, which actually seems to really help reinforce all the Biochem concepts I studied for the MCAT.

Good luck everyone :)

I have a bachelors from another university in an unrelated topic, but took all of my pre-reqs online. Most of them at UNE. Here's my $0.02.

Chemistry I - with R. Rowe. Her lectures were a little boring. She seems like a really nice lady, but her voice is kinda monotone so it's hard to listen attentively. Overall, it wasn't horrible.

Chemistry II - w. J. McMillin. Was terrible. She uses Rowe's lectures and notes and is the last instructor I would choose to take this class from. I would personally dissuade anyone from taking her lecture either. I remember a discussion post that I completed all of her requirements and she gave me a really low grade because "I didn't answer the question" even though it was there, as plain as the nose on your face or "respond to other classmates comments" even though I provided meaningful feedback. Luckily, she gave me the opportunity to redo it and I replied to a classmate with the very generic "great job researching this topic..." response and I magically received a 5/5. Plus, I feel like her tests were intentionally tricky; like she felt she had to make it hard to prove something. I remember studying and making great review notecards only to get to the test and have zero information from the notecards on there. She also failed to post my final grades so on my transcript, I had incompletes. She fixed her error but that was a nice small panic attack. Least favorite professor at UNE and that says a lot considering I haven't said anything about statistics.

Organic I - w. I can't remember his name but he sounds like Bernie Sanders. It was hard. So hard, but the material is hard and the professor is generous at grading time. Plus he emails you re: your final grade and tells you thanks/good luck which was a super nice touch.

Organic II - w. R. Rowe. Not as hard as Org I. Interesting information and like I think most people have said on here, easy to complete.

Bio I - w. S. Henry. Awesome. She really is a great professor. She communicates frequently and is an active participant in course discussions. Would recommend without a doubt.

Bio II - G. Fisher. Also great. Would also recommend.

Anatomy - The course is listed under one professors name, but is taught by a gentleman with a French accent that takes some getting used to. I had to rewind lectures many times to re-listen to what I was being told. Lab is absolutely horrible. It's just a bunch of badly taken photos and memorization. Retook this course elsewhere and did a million times better.

Statistics - L. Koban. No. Find this course somewhere else online. The book she uses is awful. I had blazing fast internet at home and yet somehow the way her lectures were recorded made them take almost an entire day to get through. There are reviews of her on ratemyprofessor that will give you the full picture. I don't for one second doubt that she knows what she's teaching, but her delivery of it and subsequent questions/assistance are awful. Ended up retaking this course at another school and did so much better.

Microbiology - M. Frisardi. Tons of work, but really informative and great. Grades quickly too. Her lectures are a little scattered, but there's a lot of info and she really makes you retain what is learned.

So that's my opinion on the courses I've taken at UNE. Would I do it again? Maybe for some of them, but at the time they were the first school I found and I jumped. I'd encourage someone without a timeline to look around. Except for the Bio and Microbio classes. They're worth it.

Hey there, wow thats an expensive way to take your pre-reqs, but it makes sense since you can work and take the courses!

Are you already in/accepted to a Med school? IF not, when are you applying? Are you solely planning on applying to schools you know will accept ONLINE courses? Are you focusing on MD or DO? :)

I'm in it right now. About to start the first week of material actually lol

I was going to start this week as well but I missed the registration deadline so now I have to wait two more weeks :-(. Well let me know how it goes!!

Hey there, wow thats an expensive way to take your pre-reqs, but it makes sense since you can work and take the courses!

Are you already in/accepted to a Med school? IF not, when are you applying? Are you solely planning on applying to schools you know will accept ONLINE courses? Are you focusing on MD or DO? :)

Yeah it was expensive, but my options were 1) take the courses at my local CC which meant having a weird schedule and few, weird work hours or 2) quit working, move, and take them at a 4 yr school with ridiculous tuition prices and the added cost of rent. All in all I think I spent a little over 11K? Not ideal but it was the least expensive option.

I have been accepted to a pharmacy school and have interviews at a few others (sorry for posting in the student doctor forum...I assumed I had a lot of experience with UNE and hoped I could steer some folks into avoiding bad courses). I had to do my due diligence and contact all the schools I was interested in and ask them if online courses were ok. I assumed they would be, but found a few to be snobby re: online courses. However, most asked if they were from accredited schools and when you told them they were, they were cool with them. Some schools were okay with the lecture and not the lab, regardless of accreditation. So it's just a matter of calling and finding out.

Good luck on your med school journey!

Can you please give me some tips on how the organic chem I course is going ? For the midterm and final, what did you find was most helpful. Is it true that the questions come from the end of the chapters questions?

I have been using chegg a lot for the course content, the exams are harder than the quizzes I feel. try doing the practice problems before taking the exams.

can anyone help me out with the final, how can I score as close to 80/80, I really need to do well on it. is there a curve?

There aren't any repeat questions from the quizzes on the midterm or final, but I think the quizzes are a good indication of the types of problems on the exams. There are calculations and also some fill in the blank/multiple choice questions that are taken from the text book (almost word-for-word). Definitely keep your textbook close by and have the index easily accessible! I was able to double-check the "concept" questions in the book by looking up the main keyword and flipping to that page. You may not have time to do that for every single one (especially if you take longer on the calculation-type questions), so you shouldn't count on being able to look every question up, but it is a good safety net if you have time. Open book exams are definitely the best part of these courses!

Thank you for the input! Also curious if there was a curve in this class? I don't like how they have a +/- system where you have to achieve >94% to receive 4.0 points and a 90-94% is actually only a 3.75.

Hi. I was wondering if anyone took the midterm yet for Organic 2 with Edmund Klinkerch? If so, how were the questions? & did the book help at all during the midterm? Thanks in advance! :)

Does anyone know if all Texas schools accept courses from UNE? Looking at taking Chem 2 and Ochem 2.