***The Official UPenn Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats! I'm super happy you got in. I remember you telling me how badly you wanted Penn, and I'm glad everything worked out!
Thanks man! It was crazy putting a face to the name when we met. I had to idea I was in the presence of an SDN legend lol. I'll be creeping on here looking for where you decide to go!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m not sure of where to go either. I’ve applied for the military scholarship, so I’m not worried about costs. I live in California, so I’m leaning towards UCLA (if I get accepted), but my parents live in Maryland and UMD is an amazing school (25 min drive to commute), but Penn was my favorite school and they give you an iPad lol. Any thoughtful pointers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied around September but haven't gotten an interview invite. Today I got a UPS update email for a package from Office of Student Affairs. Definitely a rejection letter from UPenn, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Accepted, but I will be declining the offer sometime this week. They also offered me a $10k scholarship per year, but I would need a lot more to justify the price. Hopefully the money goes to someone on the fence. Good luck, all.

Heard nothing with a pre-dec interview means?

wow! keep us updated, maybe it's a package for lunch preferences/ interview invite!
Will do! But now that I think about it, it didn't even specify which school it was sent from (just assumed it was Penn for some reason)...so it could very well just be an official letter from other schools I've been accepted to...haha

Applied around September but haven't gotten an interview invite. Today I got a UPS update email for a package from Office of Student Affairs. Definitely a rejection letter from UPenn, right?

Mine just says it's from UPenn but if you got 2-day air shipping, you're probably in! They're not gonna pay that just to reject you.

Accepted, but I will be declining the offer sometime this week. They also offered me a $10k scholarship per year, but I would need a lot more to justify the price. Hopefully the money goes to someone on the fence. Good luck, all.
What were your stats to receive that scholarship if you don't mind me asking

I think they sent you an interview invitation. I got a rejection letter today. It came in a regular mail.

I think they sent you an interview invitation. I got a rejection letter today. It came in a regular mail.
Sorry to hear that :/ did your AADSAS status change?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in September but corky hasn’t called me. Is there still a chance she calls me soon? Or were all calls to acceptees made yesterday?

Until they say no you’ve still got your chance. The fact that you haven’t been given a decision yet (rejection or waitlist) may be a good thing. Also it may not but I’d like to go with the alternative belief lol. Hang in there!! :highfive:

Anyone know if they'll be going to Penn for sure?

This is one that the current students have set up. I'm not sure if this is meant to be our official page or if it is strictly meant for Q&A's?

The Facebook group is for you guys!!! We made it just for you :biglove:

A lot of us (D1s) joined it already lol (some upperclassmen too). We’re just so excited for you all to be a part of the amazing fam that is Penn Dental Medicine and are totally there for you with whatever questions/concerns/stuff you want to share! And know that the group is yours and not ours so feel free to communicate with each other. Network away and get to know your soon to be classmates. Go ahead and join as a member if you’ve been accepted! :nod:

Link: Log into Facebook | Facebook

If the link doesn’t work just search “Upenn School of Dental Medicine Class of 2022” on Facebook!

Last edited:
I’m not sure of where to go either. I’ve applied for the military scholarship, so I’m not worried about costs. I live in California, so I’m leaning towards UCLA (if I get accepted), but my parents live in Maryland and UMD is an amazing school (25 min drive to commute), but Penn was my favorite school and they give you an iPad lol. Any thoughtful pointers?

You pay for that iPad though :confused: lol high tuitionnnnn

Is this anyone else's dream school but super freaking nervous about the debt?? Just me?? Deciding between 250k state school at UNC and 420k at Penn +pity+

Deciding on 130K state school ECU 380K Penn, this is so hard

I got a 10K scholarship as well
22 AA 23 TS 19 PAT 4.0 GPA

Soooo...I love Penn...but that price difference though?!?! OMG go to ECU. That’s insane. You’d get to live big that much faster with so little debt, doing what you (hopefully) love.

Reactions: 2 users

HOLD ON! You’re having a HARD?? time deciding? Will it be so hard to buy the lambo later when your buddy at Penn is driving a corrola?

Reactions: 3 users
Is this anyone else's dream school but super freaking nervous about the debt?? Just me?? Deciding between 250k state school at UNC and 420k at Penn +pity+

I have the same dilemma! Deciding between Michigan which would be about 260K and Penn... everyone keeps telling me Michigan but I can't seem to make a decision! I loved each school, Michigan is obviously closer to my hometown so it would be nice to be around family, but it would also be exciting to move to a new city. I also loved how updated Penn's facilities were, Michigan is about to undergo renovations so I would probably be stuck in the middle of all that construction. I only applied to Penn because it was an Ivy League and I didn't think I'd even get an interview, but now I'm accepted with the deans scholarship and have fallen in love with the school... We've got some tough decisions to make!

For those who got in, did anyone interview later than the first week of November?
I interviewed second week of November, and I was wondering if I'm just put on hold or that (hopefully) they are still reviewing my application..
Corky did tell us to call them if we want to know when we might hear back, so I was wondering if I should do that some time this week/next week.

For those who got in, did anyone interview later than the first week of November?
I interviewed second week of November, and I was wondering if I'm just put on hold or that (hopefully) they are still reviewing my application..
Corky did tell us to call them if we want to know when we might hear back, so I was wondering if I should do that some time this week/next week.

I interviewed the second week of November and I received the acceptance call on Dec 1st. Hang tight though, I'm sure you'll hear back soon!

I have the same dilemma! Deciding between Michigan which would be about 260K and Penn... everyone keeps telling me Michigan but I can't seem to make a decision! I loved each school, Michigan is obviously closer to my hometown so it would be nice to be around family, but it would also be exciting to move to a new city. I also loved how updated Penn's facilities were, Michigan is about to undergo renovations so I would probably be stuck in the middle of all that construction. I only applied to Penn because it was an Ivy League and I didn't think I'd even get an interview, but now I'm accepted with the deans scholarship and have fallen in love with the school... We've got some tough decisions to make!

While obviously I don't know what your scholarship was, I really can't understand what the actual tough decision is based upon the fact that the difference in tuition is 100k+ before interest. Think with your mind, not with your heart when making this huge financial decision.

Has anyone gotten the snail mail yet? All I got was a call and haven’t seen any follow up info

I got accepted into both Buffalo (instate) and UPenn.. I am having such a hard time making the choice between them! It ends up being a difference of about $180K. UPenn is actually closer to my house though, and I definitely want to specialize. But Buffalo is an amazing school as well. Anyone have any advice in deciding? I fell in love with both schools, it's so hard!

i interviewed in september and called in on MONday; so if you didn't hear back they said a decision has not been made yet, whatever that means. Sounds like they handing out acceptances in groups and waiting to hear back from those first people. I feel your pain and I know it really sucks not knowing but we just have to wait.

Received a myups notification just now from penn but didn’t get a call on dec. 1. Anyone else have the same thing happen?

Anyone else who has been waiting to hear back since June or July? Still no interview or rejection yet :/

I got accepted into both Buffalo (instate) and UPenn.. I am having such a hard time making the choice between them! It ends up being a difference of about $180K. UPenn is actually closer to my house though, and I definitely want to specialize. But Buffalo is an amazing school as well. Anyone have any advice in deciding? I fell in love with both schools, it's so hard!

FOR THE THOUSANDTH TIME!!!! WHAT IS YOUR BIG DECISION?!?! It is 180k before interest. That will become almost 250 by the tome you graduate dental school. GO TO BUFFALO!!!

FOR THE THOUSANDTH TIME!!!! WHAT IS YOUR BIG DECISION?!?! It is 180k before interest. That will become almost 250 by the tome you graduate dental school. GO TO BUFFALO!!!
I appreciate your input, I just feel that there is way more than just money to consider here. I want to specialize and the chance of being able to do so is supposedly better at upenn than buffalo. The weather at upenn is much nicer than buffalo. The connections I make at upenn will prob be better than at buffalo. Do you happen to know about the specialization rate at buffalo? I just feel like turning down an Ivy League school is crazy lol

I appreciate your input, I just feel that there is way more than just money to consider here. I want to specialize and the chance of being able to do so is supposedly better at upenn than buffalo. The weather at upenn is much nicer than buffalo. The connections I make at upenn will prob be better than at buffalo. Do you happen to know about the specialization rate at buffalo? I just feel like turning down an Ivy League school is crazy lol

They are better, but imo if someone is going to Penn the reason the specialization rate is higher is because people work harder there and are smarter than at some other schools. If you are that type of guy, you can specialize anywhere. Its that simple. Go to Buff, and you wont regret it. The whether in Pa is nothing special trust me, im from the area.

Standard Format:

1) Name of Your Dental School

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

3) What is the hardest class? Why?

4) What is the easiest class? Why?

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

7) Are there any classes taken with medical students? If so, which ones?

8) What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?

9) Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?

10) Is class attendance mandatory?

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?

12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you?

13) What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score?

14) When do you take the NDBE? 1st year or second year?

15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?

16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?

18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?

19) What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they?

21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long?

22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?

23) What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?

Please feel free to add any other potentially helpful information about your dental school below! Multiple posts about each school are definitely appreciated if there is something new you feel is worth adding!

Index updated through post #232

Can a current student please answer this? The last one done was on 2007...

Reactions: 2 users
People that did not hear back a decision from UPenn after an interview since dec 1, what does your AADSAS status read?

mine says under review. It switched to invited to interview then went back to under review after the interview and has not changed since.
Mine never changed to Invited to Interview even though I interviewed there late nov. Hopefully they send out another batch of acceptances out soon!

Declined my offer, best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.