The Republic of Texas Thread - Part IV - Don't Mess with Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually overfilled by 7 by the looks of it

Where is everyone finding out all this information about the class acceptances?

Members don't see this ad.

Trev, how'd the Baylor interview go my friend?

I think your jump to conclusions map is off.

FYI from Baylor's website http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/ they offered 631 interviews (which you conveniently rounded up to 700!) for the '06 entering class.

You mistakenly assume that Baylor's need to send out more than 42 offers to fill 42 slots will affect the NET number of slots opened up at TMDSAS schools.

Lets look at the scenarios of students not accepting a Baylor offer and how that affects NET slots opened up at TMDSAS schools...

If a TX resident doesn't accept their Baylor offer and instead chooses to stick with their TX school (say UTH) nothing has opened up for anyone. No NET change.

Lets say a person doesn't accept their Baylor offer (and they are holding a TMDSAS school acceptance) and chooses to go OOS. Well, Baylor's offer still hasn't affected anything. The OOS school is the one that has changed the NET number of slots.

Again, the only scenario that will cause Baylor to free up TMDSAS slots is when a person holding a TMDSAS acceptance chooses Baylor over their TMDSAS acceptance. This will most likely happen in about 42 instances.

I know for a fact that I am right on the 700 interviews offered by Baylor. How do I know? Well to quote a rather well-informed adcom member at my interview on Feb. 2 (Dr. Michael), "we have received almost 5,000 applications this year and have/will extend a little more than 700 interviews." So either I am right or the Dean of Admissions doesn't know what he is talking about. I also don't know why you said I am wrong about TMDSAS, as I never even mentioned that in my post.

Originally Posted by trevagandalf
A slight correction, actually baylor accepts < 30% of its interviewed ppl... Last year they interviewed about 600 and gave out acceptances to about 200. And plus a lot of the acceptances are going for OOS students

I believe that 30% of the interviewed applicants is what actually ends up matriculating. Looking at US News, Baylor has an acceptance rate of 6.7%. By using the 5,000 applications and multiplying it by .067 you get 335. That means Baylor will accept ~335 to get a class size of ~180. Using those numbers it seems they will accept around 48% of those interviewed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trev, how'd the Baylor interview go my friend?

One of the doctors that interviewed me asked me to solve the problem of number of uninsured people in US, my stand on euthanasia, abortion and physician assisted suicide and how the government should set policies for each of them to solve these problems. Well, i thought that was hard before I met my second interviewer that asked me "to dramatize" what I would do if I accidentally left a towel inside a patient during a surgery and found out later.

Trev,

First of all...and this applies to most of the ppl on this board...do not take med school application advice from your parents. They are way too biased and uninformed on these issues. Bless their hearts.

Me: I got rejected from Stanford
My parents: What!!! Those f8cking @ssholes!!! Why wouldn't they want you!!!
Me: I will pass along your sentiments.

If you guys get to the interview stage, it means that the school is ok with everything on your application. This includes your AP classes, your age, and that C you made in Orgo II. What they are UNSURE about is your ability to communicate, your maturity, your integrity, your mental acuity, your sense of social responsiblity, if you are really as hot as the person in the picture you submitted, etc.

Once you get to the interview stage they are telling you that they are ready to admit you with full knowledge of the "flaws" on your application.

You have to work on your interviewing skills.

From this post you make it sound like everyone interviewing at a particular school, once obtaining the interview, has an equal chance of getting accepted, the interview thereby being the only deciding factor of the 800 or so interviewees to the 300 or so offered acceptance.

Interviews do not carry that much weight. Really the GPA, MCAT, and ps are the most important factors. Most of the time, they just want to make sure in the interview that you aren't a total creep/ dingus. So as far as that goes, people need to work on their interviewing skills, but you can't just sell yourself into med school.

Well, i thought that was hard before I met my second interviewer that asked me "to dramatize" what I would do if I accidentally left a towel inside a patient during a surgery and found out later.

Ouch. Time for that Dr. to hang up the towel.

Interviews do not carry that much weight.

I couldn't disagree more.

I have a worse GPA than 98% of the ppl on this thread (3.0) and I have 5 acceptances in state and out of state. The interview is the primary reason I have had success in this cycle.

This whole process is ALL about selling yourself.

Oh and in case you were wondering (and I know many of you are) I am white.

I couldn't disagree more.

I have a worse GPA than 98% of the ppl on this thread (3.0) and I have 5 acceptances in state and out of state. The interview is the primary reason I have had success in this cycle.

This whole process is ALL about selling yourself.

Oh and in case you were wondering (and I know many of you are) I am white.

would you like to share some interview tips? because based on that, I have just failed 5 times in my life... consecutively...

One of the doctors that interviewed me asked me to solve the problem of number of uninsured people in US, my stand on euthanasia, abortion and physician assisted suicide and how the government should set policies for each of them to solve these problems. Well, i thought that was hard before I met my second interviewer that asked me "to dramatize" what I would do if I accidentally left a towel inside a patient during a surgery and found out later.

Wow, that's rough! I'm sure you did fine. I hope you watched Grey's Anatomy for the correct answer to that last one!!! hehe

Trev,

First don't look at it as failing.

Failing is if don't get in this cycle and then decide to hang it up. The choice to quit is something that is in your hands. I am a reapplicant with no previous interviews before this cycle but I have been plugging away determined to get in.

First off, when did you apply?

If you applied late, simple fix. Apply on June 1st, 2007. No exceptions.

Interviewing at Baylor tells me one thing. Application-wise you are ready for medical school. Very qualified.

I actually think you will get in this cycle.

But if you don't the interview is obviously the only thing holding you back.

Overcoming the 19-year old stereotype is something only you can control.

I have already gave my two biggest pieces of advice in thread with regards to the interview.

1. Have multiple unbiased, straight-shooter-type ppl give you a mock interview.

2. Come into the interview with a few interesting/funny/compelling stories and practice telling them in the mock interviews.

Clinical-based stories work best b/c they are easy to tie into the interview and more than likely your interviewer can relate to the story but this is not a requirement.

Let me give you an example.

A Doc I used to work for had a long-time patient that he/his colleague diagnosed with some type of cancer. He admitted her to the hospital. Got a call a day later from an insurance company telling the Doc to discharge the patient b/c in their words "her pain was manageable". I went on to describe the Doc yelling that phrase back into the phone "her pain is manageable!!!?!?!?!?" and how he was yelling so loud the waiting room could here and even they were freaked out. I also described how the incident affected me and how appalled I was that an insurance company was trying to play Dr. and that a physician actually had to take into account the insurance company's diagnosis.

The interviewers all immediately related to the story, we had a "common adversary" to center our conversation on. They immediately started to recall similar situations. I guarantee you when I left the intervews they had a memorable vivid image left in their mind that they subconciously related to me.

Just like in advertising. It doesn't matter that they sell you on the quality of their product. They need to sell you on the fact that they are your friend.

What the hell does "Dude you're getting a DeLL" have to do with the quality of a computer? What does a CAVEMAN have to do with insurance!!!????? WHO KNOWS! But more importantly WHO CARES!!!! Subconciously you warm up to DeLL and Geico and are much more inclined to purchase their products.

Interviews do not carry that much weight. Really the GPA, MCAT, and ps are the most important factors. Most of the time, they just want to make sure in the interview that you aren't a total creep/ dingus. So as far as that goes, people need to work on their interviewing skills, but you can't just sell yourself into med school.

Many advisors tell you that if you're interviewed that means your GPA and MCAT scores pass the test and all they are looking at during the interview is your personality. If your personality passes the test, you are in. My undergrad Wash U told me that and look at how many people they interview vs. accept. It's insane! There are not that many total creep/dinguses. During the last adcom meeting they are looking at you as an applicant as a whole compared to all others and they're not just going to magically hope that whoever chose to interview you based off your ps, grades, and mcat knew what the adcom as a whole would want.

Woah!

Anyone just see the ice skater get her face sliced open by her partner's skate?

That was sick nasty. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Woah!

Anyone just see the ice skater get her face sliced open by her partner's skate?

That was sick nasty. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

No. I was pissed, the channel wouldn't show a replay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many advisors tell you that if you're interviewed that means your GPA and MCAT scores pass the test and all they are looking at during the interview is your personality. If your personality passes the test, you are in. My undergrad Wash U told me that and look at how many people they interview vs. accept. It's insane! There are not that many total creep/dinguses. During the last adcom meeting they are looking at you as an applicant as a whole compared to all others and they're not just going to magically hope that whoever chose to interview you based off your ps, grades, and mcat knew what the adcom as a whole would want.

I don't know... the ratio of interviews to acceptances might indicate the importance of interviews, or it might indicate the adcoms' dedication to the safety of a really huge waitlist.

Having completed my application cycle, I have one absolutely clear conclusion about the relative importances of the various factors:

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT ALL MEANT!!!

And an applicant who says he does may not understand just how much there is that he doesn't know.

I don't know... the ratio of interviews to acceptances might indicate the importance of interviews, or it might indicate the adcoms' dedication to the safety of a really huge waitlist.

Having completed my application cycle, I have one absolutely clear conclusion about the relative importances of the various factors:

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT ALL MEANT!!!

And an applicant who says he does may not understand just how much there is that he doesn't know.

I will agree that every school is different.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCVZKh2Uvcc[/YOUTUBE]:eek:

i saw them spinning around and figured it was bad enough to stop immediately. i didn't need to see her face sliced open to know it's not going to be good.

:confused: Question for everyone: Who has an acceptance (specifically at UTH) who wants to go to UTSW more? I wanted to see how many people at UTH are still waiting for higher ranked/OOS schools. I heard some of yall talking about that earlier.

Also if anyone is interested, if I get an acceptance from UTSW I'd totally be willing to swap you for UTH ;)

:confused: Question for everyone: Who has an acceptance (specifically at UTH) who wants to go to UTSW more? I wanted to see how many people at UTH are still waiting for higher ranked/OOS schools. I heard some of yall talking about that earlier.

Also if anyone is interested, if I get an acceptance from UTSW I'd totally be willing to swap you for UTH ;)

HAH funny :)

I am accepted at UTH, I applied to no OOS schools. I ranked UTSW first. Its very emotional and confusing as to decide if I really want to go to UTSW more but I guess technically I do since I ranked it #1 and UTH #2 :) (UTH was pre-match offer). (oh yeah and I did get the email about being on the waitlist at UTSW)

All this arguing about Baylor and how many acceptances and how it will affect TMDSAS schools is moot. It could go any which way with any numbers. All that matters is that school needs to start sending out acceptances fast.

A more important question than wats the # of acceptances and interviews at baylor is when is the next batch of acceptances going out for 2007?

I am one of those. I have already stated that I would chop off my dingaling for a UTSW acceptance. UTH is great tho, I wouldn't be disappointed by any means if I didnt get into UTSW, especially since I dont have to make myself a eunoch.

haha, the only thing missing here is a UTSW acceptance on my part... I'll get back to you on that part

But really, I've been to h-town a lot more than dallas... what's cool about dallas? It seemed a lot more spread out and not as many cool spots to hang out/chill/visit etc...

haha, the only thing missing here is a UTSW acceptance on my part... I'll get back to you on that part

But really, I've been to h-town a lot more than dallas... what's cool about dallas? It seemed a lot more spread out and not as many cool spots to hang out/chill/visit etc...

Dallas (well the DFW area) is home. And to me Houston is big and scary. But I guess I'll get used to it :)

I realized in my 4 years outside Texas as a military person that the rest of the country looks at Texas as a place that is somewhat arrogant and deservingly so. I was raised to believe that Texas was almost it's own country and anytime I discussed leaving, everyone in my family and circle of friends always acted amazed that I could leave the "republic".
Well when you're the bestest most awesomest people on the planet no no IN THE UNIVERSE wait wait thats still not right IN ALL OF CREATION, arrogance comes with the territory.

Change "was" to "is" and erase "almost" and your sentence will be correct.

There are incredible people, and many incredible places outside the lonestar state, and I have very much appreciated getting to meet all these "outsiders" if for no other reason than to see that there are awesome things outside Texas.
Of course there are incredible people outside of the Lonestar State (<--remember to capitalize plz), we Texans like to visit the rest of the inferior states and observe lesser humans in their own habitat.

Sure, the cost of living is great, but you have to deal with so many conservative, closed-minded "W" toting types that it makes life miserable at times.
Cost of living is great outside of our borders simply because it is expensive to emulate Texan living. We have oil money. They don't.

I am currently in Iowa and have enjoyed my intern year more than any year I ever spent in Texas. I have found less "state pride" outside Texas and it has been a very comforting realization.
IOWA?? WherE THE HELL IS THAT? I'm sorry I was only taught Texas History in high school. All other history and geography is irrelevant.

Trust me, you will get just as fine a medical education and residency outside the state, and you will not have any career implications from not training in Texas. In fact, I often find myself having to overcome the typical "Texas stereotype" and having to proove that I am not closed-minded, don't drive a big truck, didn't worship at the Bush alter, and could appreciate non Texas life. Last night I took my wife and kids to eat at a local Iowa Mexican eatery and actually got incredible food.
Soooo you try to shake the Texas stereotypes, yet you still do things like eat Mexican with your family... I don't believe you. I think every night you slip out of bed because you can't sleep and you go into your garage and curl up in the back of your Ford F250 with your pet cactus and finally fall asleep at 4am listening to reruns of Texas Walker Ranger in Spanish multicast.

Don't be afraid to leave the "Texas nest" because if you do, you will be enriched to see the true cultural diversity that this country offers outside the lonestar state.
Judas. Don't forget your 30 pieces of silver before you leave.

And there are state with just as great malpractice laws and cost of living, with 4 actual seasons instead of the dreaded Texas scorching heat. I am grateful to have been raised in Texas but I geven happier to be gone.
IT IS WITHIN THE FLAMES OF THE TEXAS HEAT THAT HEROES ARE FORGED, RUN THEN, RUN TO YOUR MAGICAL LAND OF IOWA. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY OF THE COSMIC RESPONSIBILITIES YOUR HOMELAND AND LINEAGE HAVE BESTOWED UPON YOUR SPIRIT

but should you return one day with your head hung low in shame we will welcome you back brother, over bison hide and corn biscuits. Now if you will excuse me I have to go herd my cows into teh barn with my truck if I am to be on time for the county "Yeeeehaaa the Democrats couldn't foil Emperor Bush's plan for Iraq" party/shindig/hoedown/hootenanny.

A more highly developed light rail transit system (DART). I'm heading up there next month, getting a hotel next to one of the stations and I'm going to hit all the sights, like museums, parks and the zoo that are close to a rail station.

I'm pretty sure baylor just interview their last batch last friday. They said not to expect anything at least for a month... So, long long long waiting nights ahead...

Country roaaads
take me hoooome
to the plaaaaaaaace
i beloooooong
west texaaaaaaaaaaaas
mountain mamaaa
take me hooooome
country roaaaaaads

(that was the original version, WV kidnapped john denver from Texas and brainwashed him using advanced alien drugs that they stole out of roswell)

Country roaaads
take me hoooome
to the plaaaaaaaace
i beloooooong
west texaaaaaaaaaaaas
mountain mamaaa
take me hooooome
country roaaaaaads

(that was the original version, WV kidnapped john denver from Texas and brainwashed him using advanced alien drugs that they stole out of roswell)

I think you have something here.......with the West Texas thing. JD should've stayed in Lubbock and written songs about module jumping and West Texas Dirt Storms.....and other existential stuff.

thanks sprinklibrio, that's a good plan and i hope it works 4 me next..eerr this year... :oops:

and im shocked that HOLDENc can actually give good advice too. i guess you can't be sarcastic all the time :D hehe

thanks for the advice all, it sounds like my problem must be the interview (then why did they all seem to go pretty good!?) ugh...:confused:

I wish UTSW was in Houston

I definitely agree, I wish that all the schools were in Houston. Then my chances of getting to move back would be better....[sigh]+pity+

Ana,

How many undergrad hours do you have overall? What was you GPA's before the post bacc? How many post bacc hours did you take?

You and I are in a similar situation. By the time I'm done I will be drowing in undergrad hours (but my GPA is benefitting from the rehab)!
Just got back from a weekend out of town...

I think my friends and I finally figured it out and I have some gawd awful number of ugrad hours: 210+ I think.

I think I had a 3.58 before post bacc and a 3.62 now overall. I think I look 42 post-bacc hours.

Oh and I'm originally from DFW too - does that explain my smart-ass nature as well? :smuggrin:

Hey trev,

UTSW doesn't have an unranked waitlist, of course it has to be ranked. They just won't tell the applicants where they are on the waitlist, if anything they will only tell them in which segment of the waiting list they are in (like top/mid/bottom or something).

Actually, a lot of the waitlists have been described to me as a pool of applicants, not a ranked list. Because there are so many restrictions, either self imposed or not (ie about 50/50 male/female or certain race percentages vs 10% OOS or 10% financial hardship) when an applicant accepts another offer, they try to fill the exact type of person that left. So when a female OOS chem major leaves, they try to replace her with someone very similar. UTMB and UTSA both describe their waitlists as pools and I'm pretty sure this is what they mean.

thanks for the advice all, it sounds like my problem must be the interview (then why did they all seem to go pretty good!?) ugh...:confused:

could just be damn random good/bad luck. that seems to play a giant part in app cycle.

its like some of my transfection/western blots. all the reagents are new and uncontaminated. i follow the steps precisely and follow all the little tips everyone gives me. i make sure the apparatuses are clean and functioning, I follow the washes and incubations down to the T. And it still comes out completely f**ked up time after time. Just random bad luck I guess.

Oh f***ing hell guys... I've been gone all weekend and I tried to read all the back pages but I just couldn't do it... I hope no one addressed a question directly to me cause I'm not reading that stuff :)

could just be damn random good/bad luck. that seems to play a giant part in app cycle.

its like some of my transfection/western blots. all the reagents are new and uncontaminated. i follow the steps precisely and follow all the little tips everyone gives me. i make sure the apparatuses are clean and functioning, I follow the washes and incubations down to the T. And it still comes out completely f**ked up time after time. Just random bad luck I guess.

user error

more people need to listen to HOLDENc... i can't agree more with what he's saying about interviews.... i have a lot worse mcat score than a lot of the people here, but i can interview better than almost everyone here, or so i believe. i only had 3 interviews and was accepted to all 3. i am a re-app btw. what i did after the rejection last year was mentally go through the 1 interview i had at uth over, and over again and really just mentally prepared myself. i didn't change who i was, i just changed how i answered the questions....

if anyone is wanting to better themselves at interviewing i suggest you watch people who are masters at public speaking. go watch an inconvenient truth, and really make sure to pay attention to al gores mannerisms and the way he fluctuates his voice tonality to provide emphasis. body language is SUCH a big part i can't even begin to describe... if you walk in there and you don't have a commanding and confident voice you won't be taken seriously. if you don't appear to be comfortable in your own skin, then you won't be taken seriously, not only in a professional setting but everywhere.

one thing i found that is key to a good interview is ELABORATION... show how something relates to you. for example... i remember at my houston interview last year i was asked..

"are you good at memorizing things?".... to which i replied "yes, i would definitely say so" which is true, i am. but how much of a better answer is this.

"are you good at memorizing things?"... "well, I truly believe i am... in fact, when i first started college, i thought that this ability would make it very easy for me to succeed. however, i soon realized that this was not true... i realized that in order to truly succeed and learn the material i needed to focus on the fundamentals within each topic and to really understand what it takes for something to work" i just wrote tha toff the top of my head... but that is also true.. both statements are true, and im not being something that im not, but i sound more confident and im able to explain what i mean better, and in turn interviewers will be more able to relate to you.

hope this **** helps. cause it sure helped me.

edit: OH and SMILE and LAUGH... and speak loudly and SLOWLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.