The Republic of Texas Thread - Part V - Where Everything Is Bigger and Better

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard them called that at McDonalds once. Hmmmmm... we really need to flood the first page with cool Texas titles :) YAY Texas.

Hook'em??? :p

Members don't see this ad.

chickfila.jpg

What time is it?

I need serious help.

Members don't see this ad :)

Texas people aren't suppose to be so evil as to post a pic so yummy!

*Sunny wonders if she should get Chic-fil-A for breakfast or wait for lunch*

So, I'm in San Antonio right now visiting my grandmother and needed to do some work on the internet. I came to a Starbucks instead of a Kinkos because I wanted to get online for free. This San Antonio Starbucks, however, does not have free internet!!!!!!!!! WTF? I haven't lived in Texas during my adult life and this has kind of spawned a real fear of moving back to the state. I kind of afraid to adjust to a knew area so strange to me now... especially since most people don't seem to hold similar values--I would never buy a gas guzzler. I think I'll stop worrying when I meet the other UTSWers, but someone please reassure me. This is probably all amplified by the fact I'll be leaving my bf behind.

Where's it free? The Las Vegas one always required payment, and I'm not even rich enough as a Boston grad student to enter a starbucks, so I don't know about here.

If you say in Dallas, this could be high on my list of good news for the day. :laugh:

Someone may have already have posted something about this.

I just got a waitlist letter from UTMB. The letter is dated feb. 22.
I am 1 0f 200. Hopefully half of those 200 already are holding acceptances at other schools.

I am 1 0f 200. Hopefully half of those 200 already are holding acceptances at other schools.

You are number one of 200, or you are somewhere in a pool of 200?

Members don't see this ad :)
8AM
022420070800_s.jpg

9AM
022420070900_s.jpg

10AM
022420071000_s.jpg

11AM
022420071100_s.jpg

Hey everyone,

I have a massive fever that is not going away. Tylenol, advil, and wetting cold rags isn't doing anything. My head has been at a fever temperature for nearly 5 hrs now and its hurting like hell.

I have other symtoms of diarrhea, dizziness. Nothings wrong with my throat though. Almost puked several times.

Also to add I ate a jar of peter pan lot 2111 (the contaminated lot) nearly 2-3 weeks ago. That's all the patient history i can muster at this point.

Any suggestions?

Hey everyone,

I have a massive fever that is not going away. Tylenol, advil, and wetting cold rags isn't doing anything. My head has been at a fever temperature for nearly 5 hrs now and its hurting like hell.

I have other symtoms of diarrhea, dizziness. Nothings wrong with my throat though. Almost puked several times.

Also to add I ate a jar of peter pan lot 2111 (the contaminated lot) nearly 2-3 weeks ago. That's all the patient history i can muster at this point.

Any suggestions?

replenish fluids, wait another 6 hours, if symptoms don't go down consider going to the ER

This thread has gotten so off topic simply for the sake of keeping it going. It's gotten to be a huge waste of time just sifting through all the worthless posts just to find something meaningful. Could we start another TX thread for off topic conversation and keep this one dedicated to important subjects?

This thread has gotten so off topic simply for the sake of keeping it going. It's gotten to be a huge waste of time just sifting through all the worthless posts just to find something meaningful. Could we start another TX thread for off topic conversation and keep this one dedicated to important subjects?

if you'll notice the thread title is "The Republic of Texas Thread"

note that it is not titled, "TMDSAS Thread" or "[insert Texas school here] Thread" or "Texas Reapplicant Thread" or "LMFU Thread" or "Texas Match Thread"

in fact, this is more of an off-topic thread than anything else, all the thread titles that I covered actually do exist in some form or another. How about you search for the information you're looking for instead of crying about a thread being off-topic.

:thumbdown:

If there are 200 on the waitlist and 431 rec'd pre-match offers that means just about everyone who interviewed was either accepted or waitlisted, right?

This is why it would be good to have a Texas sub-forum! More organization!

And if waitlist info is what you want, you should go to my texas waitlist thread :)

If there are 200 on the waitlist and 431 rec'd pre-match offers that means just about everyone who interviewed was either accepted or waitlisted, right?

I am pretty sure they interviewed more than 630ish, at least I hope.

I am pretty sure they interviewed more than 630ish, at least I hope.

I'm sure there are also people who interviewed but then ranked somewhere else higher and matched there so in that case what would be the point of putting them on a waitlist? :confused:

if you'll notice the thread title is "The Republic of Texas Thread"

note that it is not titled, "TMDSAS Thread" or "[insert Texas school here] Thread" or "Texas Reapplicant Thread" or "LMFU Thread" or "Texas Match Thread"

in fact, this is more of an off-topic thread than anything else, all the thread titles that I covered actually do exist in some form or another. How about you search for the information you're looking for instead of crying about a thread being off-topic.

:thumbdown:

You're absolutely right, what was I thinking. You've really turned my life around. Thanks for that. I never should have thought to use forums on a website called "student doctor network" to actually find information pertinent to future "student doctors." Or, god forbid, ask for a small semblance of organization.

You're absolutely right, what was I thinking. You've really turned my life around. Thanks for that. I never should have thought to use forums on a website called "student doctor network" to actually find information pertinent to future "student doctors." Or, god forbid, ask for a small semblance of organization.
Maybe a post on the first page can be organized with links to the other relevant Texas threads? I'd be happy to do that if you think it would be helpful :)

I know the 430 offers number has been going around, but how is that possible if they only had 1 round of pre-match offers and only a few people during match. They obviously knew something i didnt cuz they had room to match people, but it just seems crazy to overoffer by 200 seats.

Awesome, I'll be sure to update my CV

I know the 430 offers number has been going around, but how is that possible if they only had 1 round of pre-match offers and only a few people during match. They obviously knew something i didnt cuz they had room to match people, but it just seems crazy to overoffer by 200 seats.

They extended 430 offers on Nov. 15 to Tx residents. Only 181 of those ended up with UTMB. The schools have it pretty much down to a science by now, as the 181 figure was said to be about where they thought they'd end up.

They extended 430 offers on Nov. 15 to Tx residents. Only 181 of those ended up with UTMB. The schools have it pretty much down to a science by now, as the 181 figure was said to be about where they thought they'd end up.

so are you saying they offered 40ish spots in the match.

And do you know if everyone who interviews is on the waitlist?

This is exactly why I proposed the subforum. To get pertinent information, it would take hours just to sift through the last 4 Texas threads. Most people instead just post their question instead of looking, which makes these threads longer with reposted questions.

If we were to have our own subforum we could keep better track of issues/problems/questions, and conversational threads like this one could keep going, just relabeled "Random Pre-Allo Texas Thread", much like the random thread we have in preallo.

They obviously do know what they are doing. I just never knew UTMB was a school that offered so many acceptances. All stats i've seen before for past years seemed to suggest they offer less then twice their class size.

replenish fluids, wait another 6 hours, if symptoms don't go down consider going to the ER

I think my fevers gone down, but I'm having constant diarrhea.

It's like liquid poo, like I'm peeing out my ass. Is this what it is like to urinate as a girl? How do yall keep it from splashing around everywhere? I don't think mine's like a constant stream... more like a sputtering lawn sprinkler.

Galveston had 15 spots for the match. There is a video on their website http://www.som.utmb.edu/Announcements-Home.htm#Announcements

Under Faculty and staff its the web rebroadcast. They give all of the match info.

With the extra spots, I think 7 were JAMP, 7 were deferred and a couple more were held for other things so that they have 230 total, and they are expecting a class of 225 (why won't they fill up the 5 spots for a full class I dunno)

ALSO, I totally don't mind at all, seriously, but this was posted on the part 4 of this thread, which is just ONE MORE REASON WE NEED A SUBFORUM :) Thank you

It's like liquid poo, like I'm peeing out my ass. Is this what it is like to urinate as a girl? How do yall keep it from splashing around everywhere? I don't think mine's like a constant stream... more like a sputtering lawn sprinkler.

Alert: TMI, TMI !!!! :eek:

Hey everyone,

Any suggestions?

I do believe the incubation period for salmonella is something in terms of 2-4 days. I doubt the pb from weeks ago has anything to do with it. :love:

I was changing a baby's diaper at the hospital once and no joke, same description for this kid. I was just glad I was standing sideways and not at the foot of the crib.

This is exactly why I proposed the subforum. To get pertinent information, it would take hours just to sift through the last 4 Texas threads. Most people instead just post their question instead of looking, which makes these threads longer with reposted questions.

If we were to have our own subforum we could keep better track of issues/problems/questions, and conversational threads like this one could keep going, just relabeled "Random Pre-Allo Texas Thread", much like the random thread we have in preallo.

I would like to apologize for ranting about this thread. I guess I'm just having a bad day. It should be used as the majority see fit. But I do appreciate those who are making suggestions about how to better organize it. I know I see a lot of posts that go along the lines of "wow, I haven't been on SDN for one day and now I have 300 posts to read through." I just figure there's a better way.

Go see a doctor friend. None of us are docs yet! Liquipoo must be rough...

I'd still wait until tomorrow - probably some mild food poisoning of sorts

As Sarah said, UTMB only took 15 with the match, and they tended to be drawn from interviews done after Nov. 15 (the rest are 10 OOS, 10 MD/PhD, 7 JAMP, and 7 deferals from last year). There is no way everyone who interviewed got waitlisted. They interview upwards of a thousand. I don't know if it helps you or not, but in that video the dean does hint that they might try to rebalance the gender ratio a bit through the waitlist, as its currently 52/48 male. And someone just a few days ago dropped their spot at UTMB for UTH. Hang in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.