The Republic of Texas Thread - Part VI - The Legacy of Chuck Norris

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh you know, here and there but always Texan. I lurk more than I comment but today has been exceptionally great, so I suppose I have more to say... pardon the party crash :)

Members don't see this ad.

yeah we have to get a new one once we hit 1000 posts

I wonder what we should call it........
of course homage must be paid to The Chuck... :) but after that I'm lost for funny titles.

Members don't see this ad :)
1000 Posts and I close this bad boy ;) Who wants to start the new one? Armybound since you'll be continuing on this cycle, you should do the honors! :)

no idea.

so the Southwestern and A&M secondaries can't be done until TMDSAS has been submitted? but the Tech one can be done beforehand?

I would start a new one but I don't have cutesy titles like everyone else.

who else will be applying this year? it seems like all the Texas regulars applied last year, I haven't heard anything about this year.

I did... who on earth would want to leave Texas for the four best years of your life? Not me. I fear the cold that I hear exists in other states...

:) As my other vague and avoident answers hint, I do love me some anonymity. Just as a rule of thumb.

sorry to have abandoned this thread for so long, but did anyone else notice that they can't check their LMFU anymore? It now says that no application exists by my TMDSAS app number =(.

<3 the weather
storms are so exciting
i wish i could go out and play in the rain
it smells so good too

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry to have abandoned this thread for so long, but did anyone else notice that they can't check their LMFU anymore? It now says that no application exists by my TMDSAS app number =(.

did you make sure you selected the app for 2007?

I can still check mine

you must be a spy. WHO SENT YOU?!

Haha, okayokay. It was Kentucky, they sent me because we ran out of bourbon and got bored.
You caught me Armybound, clearly I cannot fool you ;)

... Please, just don't tell Chuck.

Ok guys, I have my appt with Dr. Kellaway tomorrow...I wish I wasn't such an emotional wreck right now :( , but what can you do. I'm pretty curious to see how this goes. I'll probably end up submitting my app tomorrow evening, and I'm only waiting on one more letter to come thru. Quick question though...I don't need to go all out and wear a suit do I? I was just planning on wearing my suit pants and a nice shirt...

Agreed. I love thunderstorms :love:

...not when they cut my power off and my You Tube videos won't load because the wireless router turns off!!! :smuggrin:

Ok guys, I have my appt with Dr. Kellaway tomorrow...I wish I wasn't such an emotional wreck right now :( , but what can you do. I'm pretty curious to see how this goes. I'll probably end up submitting my app tomorrow evening, and I'm only waiting on one more letter to come thru. Quick question though...I don't need to go all out and wear a suit do I? I was just planning on wearing my suit pants and a nice shirt...

Pants, button down shirt or blouse, closed toe shoes, small, neat jewelry if any. Skip the coat... unless you'd feel more comfortable in a casual but nice dress jacket. Good luck with everything :thumbup: and hang in there. Get as much sleep between now and then as you can. Obviously your situation is crazy rough emotionally, most likely financially, graduation and jobs, moving, etc. But don't let it show, be solid. You can do it. You can adapt. You can show your flex and your persistance here, as well as a warm, friendly yet still professional side in a more casual setting. This is a great opportunity. This is what you want, and you're even more willing to make it happen now. It's worth it, the second time around, the struggle. And this year is going to be great because it gives you more time to grow as a person which'll make you a better physician. :luck: Sorry, that was an unsolicited and unsupressed pep-talk that just slipped out. Seriously though, good luck.

lmao. i use firefox which automatically fills out the fields. clearly i didn't see the little box for year of application.

hehe i use firefox too. i didn't catch it the first time but I backed up and went 2008???? :) i'm glad we got it all sorted out
what do you want to check your lmfu for anyways :) mine hasn't changed since DECEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!

aw TheOtter, you seem like a nice person for so little posts... a little too nice... kinda like a mommy.

in other news...
major suckerage at redoing TMDSAS all over again.

Yeah, do all that stuff that the new guy said to do :)
My friend had her appointment with her a couple weeks ago, and really didn't find out too much. I would say have some specific questions to ask because I don't think there is a lot of info she'll just spill out to you. In your specific case I think she could probably tell you things you could do better in this app cycle (my friend is in at Tech so she's just waiting on WL) and in the interview. Dr. Kellaway is so nice so just go in there and feel as welcome as I am sure you are! as a UTH M0, I want you to feel super welcome too!

Oh! and if you didn't know Tiffany Reyes is super pregnant so that is always something exciting to talk to her about!

aw TheOtter, you seem like a nice person for so little posts... a little too nice... kinda like a mommy.

in other news...
major suckerage at redoing TMDSAS all over again.
it didn't import your old stuff?

well I guess all it imported was my grades.

it's not so bad. already done with it, except the latest grades.

Sarah... woher haben Sie in Deutschland besucht?

Oh I visited a lot of places!
My study abroad thing was centered in Duesseldorf, aber Ich habe Berlin, Muenchen, Bamberg, Hamburg, Heidelberg, Koeln, und Nuernberg besuchen. HAH! that was all the high school german I could muster! (not that it is at all correct)
oooo Also,
Ich habe nicht mein Herz in Heidelberg verloren! Thank goodness

I sure miss speaking in German, thanks for bringing it up!

Oh I visited a lot of places!
My study abroad thing was centered in Duesseldorf, aber Ich habe Berlin, Muenchen, Bamberg, Hamburg, Heidelberg, Koeln, und Nuernberg besuchen. HAH! that was all the high school german I could muster! (not that it is at all correct)
oooo Also,
Ich habe nicht mein Herz in Heidelberg verloren! Thank goodness

I sure miss speaking in German, thanks for bringing it up!
:)

I used to live in a little town kinda near Nurnberg

Oh I just loved it down in Bavaria (though I did learn they feel very strongly toward Franconia) and on our wine tasting I learned
Frankenwein ist Krankenwein

YAY Germany! I started looking at pictures and I really want to go back. If only I could be so excited about learning Spanish.

Do you have a particular town that you thought was your favorite?

Oh I just loved it down in Bavaria (though I did learn they feel very strongly toward Franconia) and on our wine tasting I learned
Frankenwein ist Krankenwein

YAY Germany! I started looking at pictures and I really want to go back. If only I could be so excited about learning Spanish.

Do you have a particular town that you thought was your favorite?
I was young enough that I don't remember the geography of the land or the name of the cities. I did get to visit a lot and I have visual memories, but I couldn't tell you the names of any towns.

At the moment I'd love to go to Illesheim, but that's only because my sister lives there :)

I really liked Bavaria though, it's beautiful down there. I miss the food, too.

I was young enough that I don't remember the geography of the land or the name of the cities. I did get to visit a lot and I have visual memories, but I couldn't tell you the names of any towns.

At the moment I'd love to go to Illesheim, but that's only because my sister lives there :)

I really liked Bavaria though, it's beautiful down there. I miss the food, too.

The people in Bavaria are SO nice too. I don't know how much of the food I miss. I couldn't wait to get back to a big American breakfast by the time I was leaving, though I did pretty much like the food while I was there. Especially this pig knuckle thing. it was good, and I don't even really like pork! Being there for part of the World Cup was also really really exciting. I think everyone should call it the Weltmeister because it just sounds soooo much cooler

ahhh man I'm jealous, I wanted to visit during the World Cup, especially since my sister lives so close to the stadium in Munich.

I miss jaegerschnitzel like crazy. I loved that stuff.

ahhh man I'm jealous, I wanted to visit during the World Cup, especially since my sister lives so close to the stadium in Munich.

I miss jaegerschnitzel like crazy. I loved that stuff.

I never had that kind of schnitzel. While I was there some other Americans tried to tell me that doenner was exactly like Texas BBQ. I was like ummm I'm from Texas, and while I do appreciate some sweet doenner, it is NOT BBQ. Oh man.... I have some great pictures.... I still remember watching Zidane head butt that guy in the bar next to our school, and I saw Ghana play France (I think) at Fan Fest in Berlin, just hanging out at the Branderberg gate.

Are you going to try to do traveling before you start med school?

Ok guys, I have my appt with Dr. Kellaway tomorrow...I wish I wasn't such an emotional wreck right now :( , but what can you do...
Good luck Diana! :luck:

Sarah... woher haben Sie in Deutschland besucht?
I'm terribly ashamed of myself... I lived in Rheinland-Pfaltz (sp?) for two years, but I was so busy with work that I barely got beyond "Ich spreche keine Deutsch" (spoken with vowel sounds so wildly inaccurate that nobody could understand even that much!) I can read very simple sentences like that one, and understand about half of what the blue guy in X-Men 2 says, but that's about it.

I never had that kind of schnitzel. While I was there some other Americans tried to tell me that doenner was exactly like Texas BBQ. I was like ummm I'm from Texas, and while I do appreciate some sweet doenner, it is NOT BBQ. Oh man.... I have some great pictures.... I still remember watching Zidane head butt that guy in the bar next to our school, and I saw Ghana play France (I think) at Fan Fest in Berlin, just hanging out at the Branderberg gate.

Are you going to try to do traveling before you start med school?
I would like to visit my sister at some point before she moves from Germany. hopefully next summer I'll have an admission and can just take the summer off and go visit her :)

Pemberley, I just asked her where she visited in Germany.

Ok Texans... filling out the AMCAS right now and it gives me an option to apply to Texas A&M System HSC College of Medicine.. is this the Temple program? We apply through AMCAS instead of TMDSAS for this program?

This application year has been so weird. I thought I was going to do well in Texas, but aplied widely just in case. As it turned out I only interviewed at TCOM and A&M (and 5 OOS schools). I got in early at TCOM and I am on the A&M waitlist (in the "upper half" according to Filo).

Out of state I interviewed at Tulane and Wake Forest. I am on the "Acceptable Range" list at Tulane. Yesterday I was accepted to Wake. Wake was by far the best school I visited, everything from the campus, location, students etc. The downsides are leaving Texas and the cost of an out of state private school.

A&M might have been my first pick, but with a wife and kids I need to start planning a move soon and I can't wait on A&M. Wake is really going to be a great place to study and raise a family, it is a lot like College Station but with mountains and seasons.

Hopefully one of you without an acceptance can get my spot at TCOM. It really is the friendliest school I visited and Iwould be happy to go there, but I just can't pass up Wake Forest.

Good luck to all of the others still waiting!

Chris

This application year has been so weird. I thought I was going to do well in Texas, but aplied widely just in case. As it turned out I only interviewed at TCOM and A&M (and 5 OOS schools). I got in early at TCOM and I am on the A&M waitlist (in the "upper half" according to Filo).

Out of state I interviewed at Tulane and Wake Forest. I am on the "Acceptable Range" list at Tulane. Yesterday I was accepted to Wake. Wake was by far the best school I visited, everything from the campus, location, students etc. The downsides are leaving Texas and the cost of an out of state private school.

A&M might have been my first pick, but with a wife and kids I need to start planning a move soon and I can't wait on A&M. Wake is really going to be a great place to study and raise a family, it is a lot like College Station but with mountains and seasons.

Hopefully one of you without an acceptance can get my spot at TCOM. It really is the friendliest school I visited and Iwould be happy to go there, but I just can't pass up Wake Forest.

Chris
hey congrats on the acceptances and sorry Texas is being so weird.

would you mind posting up your stats? I'm considering reapplying to Wake Forest but don't know if it will be worth my time & money. they rejected me pre-secondary last time.

:luck: :luck: :luck: I hope it went well! :)

hey congrats on the acceptances and sorry Texas is being so weird.

would you mind posting up your stats? I'm considering reapplying to Wake Forest but don't know if it will be worth my time & money. they rejected me pre-secondary last time.
I really liked Wake Forest on paper and they didn't even interview me :(

Oh well.

Hey this is random but I just found out some great news:
The paramilitary that controlled the community I worked in in Belfast has rennounced armed struggle and ceased recruitment, which is awesome because it means no more really promising kids will be lost to that kind of lifestyle!

I'm super happy and just had to share :)

Ireland's just not Ireland unless someone's getting bombed.

Just kidding.

Trying to end decades of pointless violence is always a positive sign :)

Ok Texans... filling out the AMCAS right now and it gives me an option to apply to Texas A&M System HSC College of Medicine.. is this the Temple program? We apply through AMCAS instead of TMDSAS for this program?
I think that might be the MD/PhD program... Texas MD/PhD programs are so insanely complicated to apply to (hence the really crappy info in the FAQ).

I could be completely wrong though.

I think this is probably for the MD/PhD program. A bunch of TMDSAS schools do their MSTP applications through AMCAS (please don't ask me why.)

what's the deal with the Temple program then? isn't there a 4 year program at Scott & White now? how do you apply to that?

So does my friend and her husband (south of there)... he's in the military, maybe the army I'm not sure. There must be a base there right, guessing from your name you might have been there...? Pardon my ignorance about the military and the number of bases in Germany.

Chris

Congrats!!!

My stats aren't great, 2.79 at A&M undergrad, 3.97 at U of H grad 34O. Having a wife and kid and a bunch of other unique life experiences is what got me in. My take on this process is that Texas schools have so many applicants that they look more at numbers to sort applicants. Wake on the other hand seems to like people like me who are more non-traditional.

what's the deal with the Temple program then? isn't there a 4 year program at Scott & White now? how do you apply to that?

Once you're all in at A&M and pretty much set on there, like after the match, you pref where you want to be, 2+2, or the 4 year program. So for now you'll just apply TMDSAS to A&M and the possibility of the 4 year program will be later :)

Has anyone heard anything about TCOM's waitlist? sigh...Waiting sucks! I am avoiding my parents now because I don't know what to tell them when they ask me what I am doing next year....:( :scared: like I know!

My stats aren't great, 2.79 at A&M undergrad, 3.97 at U of H grad 34O. Having a wife and kid and a bunch of other unique life experiences is what got me in. My take on this process is that Texas schools have so many applicants that they look more at numbers to sort applicants. Wake on the other hand seems to like people like me who are more non-traditional.

Congratulations by the way on Wake! I'm sorry you have to leave Texas, but you can always come back :)

I agree too with the Texas schools thing. There definitely seems to be a number screening process that they deny but is most certainly there

Status
Not open for further replies.