The Republic of Texas Thread - Part VI - The Legacy of Chuck Norris

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
soooo how bout that huge storm!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure glad we stopped talking about the Virginia shooting because it was really getting in the way of all the other stimulating conversation practically overfilling the pages of the Texas Thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
soooo how bout that huge storm!

What storm?!? We never saw it around here. Just crappy weather...windy, cloudy, dusty, humid, semi-sprinkling weather.

PS. We are soooo reaching part VII before the start of the next school year. :hungover:

we better reach part 07!!!! WHOOP! (ok class year is kind of a big deal down here, i'm class of 07, yeah yeah fun)

Apparently it was crazy up in the Ft. Worth area. SCARY!

I just mailed my graduation invitations. I wish I could have put something in them that said "help me! I'm going to medical school!"

how is everyone who got accepted somewhere coming along with finding housing? I'm just wondering where I am in regards to everyone else. :)

we better reach part 07!!!! WHOOP! (ok class year is kind of a big deal down here, i'm class of 07, yeah yeah fun)

Apparently it was crazy up in the Ft. Worth area. SCARY!

I just mailed my graduation invitations. I wish I could have put something in them that said "help me! I'm going to medical school!"

how is everyone who got accepted somewhere coming along with finding housing? I'm just wondering where I am in regards to everyone else. :)

I already know where I'm going to be living, so that's a relief. :D

I didn't even have to think about buying, because I have no money to do such a thing. I got a place pretty close to school and in my price range...relatively safe, too. The only thing that makes me sad is that I won't be able to have a dog there, but maybe that's good for the poor dog, because I wonder if I really have time to get a new puppy and give it the attention it needs.

Either way, I'm really excited about graduation, too!!! :party: I have a lot of exams in between though, and I don't want to study anymore! I've been staring at my notes all morning and I've gotten nothing done today! Aaaaaaaargh! Anyway, that's my usual state of being lately.

My dad is up in that area and I could hear the thunder over the phone.

Also, I totally understand the study thing. I have an exam for my pass/fail medical terminology class. It is killing me to try to study. As soon as I started the electricity at my apartment went out. I waited 20 mins, and now here I am at Starbucks, on SDN, missing Dr. Phil <--I am very upset about this.

okay. this is crazy, i know. i still can't believe this....

...so, i googled something completely irrelevant to med school, and one of the matches that came up was the %UT%Houston% entering class of %2007% list! (sorry for the symbols, i just didn't want this post to come up with the search function).

but seriously - it was a list of people and what undergrad school they went to. so, i have to ask those who have been accepted....did you receive this list? or did someone in the office make a mistake by not making the list password protected? there has to be some explanation as to how this list was so easily accessible!

ps - i promise i'm not trolling! i'm just so surprised about finding this that i wanted to share. makes me wish i could find the same info for the school that waitlisted me! ;)

That list is easily accessible to everyone on UT-Houston's website and those people who were accepted also got the list in the mail; it wasn't a mistake on the part of UT-Houston or anything. Not sure why it came up during a search you were doing, but I guess search engines are a little strange sometimes. http://med.uth.tmc.edu/administration/admissions/mailing-information.html

It's posted under entering class

That list is easily accessible to everyone on UT-Houston's website and those people who were accepted also got the list in the mail; it wasn't a mistake on the part of UT-Houston or anything. Not sure why it came up during a search you were doing, but I guess search engines are a little strange sometimes. http://med.uth.tmc.edu/administration/admissions/mailing-information.html

It's posted under entering class

thanks for clarifying!

for a second, i was hoping i had discovered some secret list....but then i figured it was pretty impossible! :laugh: :laugh:

To all of those accepted to Med school in Houston (UT or Baylor), congrats! Both are great schools with incredible opportunities available to you. I'm a fourth year at UT Houston with 3 days left of Med School (May is Vacation) so things are finally coming to an end for me in H-Town. I have read a couple of posts about people worried/wandering about housing in Houston. I would be more than happy to answer anyones questions about apartments that are close/safe/affordable, as well about buying a condo/house (it is actually pretty easy and very affordable, and a large portion of our class has taken advantage of the opportunity). I remember that was a stress to me four years ago, so I'd enjoy the opportunity to make things easier on you (plus, I have an extremely conveinient condo for sale, but I will not be too biased:D ) Feel free to PM me with any questions.

By the way, my condo is the Houston Med Center Condo listed in SDN Classifieds.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlist movement! I'm excited!!! I'm still hoping and praying my friend will get in at UTH. Goodness gracious!

Ooooo... Good luck to your friend, AggieSarah! :)

Is anyone else starting to pack up and wondering where all this crap came from? Seriously.

At least it's an excuse to get organized... but til now all my bills went into a box never to be seen from again. I'm also trying to figure out some personal finance stuff since I've pretty much flown by the seat of my pants til now. :laugh:

I suggest http://www.mymoneyblog.com/ if anyone else is interested.

Ooooo... Good luck to your friend, AggieSarah! :)

Is anyone else starting to pack up and wondering where all this crap came from? Seriously.

Definitely. I have the theory that a lot of my stuff reproduced while I wasn't looking, because I don't remember ever buying or accumulating all of these things!

I don't know if anyone else has the problem of lots of person papers they need to save but my sister came up with the idea of 3-ring binders with plastic sleeves as opposed to a massively heavy filing cabinet... it works really well for me :)

Haha. Funny. We just closed on our new house in Dallas on Thurs. My OCD/Engineering/Maximize Efficiency Personality thought it would be a good idea to bring a truckload of stuff up with us when we went (so as not to "waste" a trip up there.)

We filled a 24' truck with stuff, and still have lots to go. Ugh. But, we are hiring movers for the rest.

The first time I moved, it took three months to get my stuff moved in again (imagine, if you will, the lightening-fast efficiency possible when you combine Army bureaucracy with Italian bureaucracy)... when it came, there was stuff that I hadn't even remembered owning. It was like Christmas!

Since then, I've developed some systems that work for me. One important feature is accordion folders. I have one for each year, and one for each move (This will be my 6th move in 8 years.) The "move" folders have leases, utility contracts, in-processing and out-processing paperwork from old/new jobs, etc. Location-specific stuff. The yearly folders have bills, pay stubs, taxes, bank account statements, etc.

Hand-carry anything irreplaceable -- photos that you haven't scanned in and backed up, things like that. I've got a pretty clay pot I bought in Iraq. Maybe worth $10-$20, but am I gonna go back to buy another?

long time no chat guys...

just checking in to see if there is any (UTSW specifically) WL movement...

Graduating soon, so at least I'm done w/ undergrad for the time being!

thanks.

has anyone here applied to any of the South or North Carolina schools? should I bother with any of them or would they be a waste of time? how about Ohio schools? I don't want to waste money but I also don't want to waste another year of applying..

the schools I plan on applying to have been updated in my MDapps. for some reason it looks really sparse compared to most people.

thanks.

has anyone here applied to any of the South or North Carolina schools? should I bother with any of them or would they be a waste of time? how about Ohio schools? I don't want to waste money but I also don't want to waste another year of applying..

the schools I plan on applying to have been updated in my MDapps. for some reason it looks really sparse compared to most people.

Have you looked at the percentage of instate/out of state for those schools. If it's low I'd say no unless you had strong ties to the state. In North Carolina, I know ECU only takes instate students so scratch that one off. UNC is really competitive, but I think the do take oos students. From my understanding, Wake Forest either gives no preference or very little to instate students.

Don't know about South Carolina. Ohio State seems to take a lot of out of state students but is also competitive. I don't know about the other Ohio schools.

I'd suggest shelling out the money for USNews. Their admissions info is more useful than the MSAR, imo, because they give more data. As I recall, the MSAR just tells you the percentage of people who matriculated instead of the percentage who were accepted, and the latter is what I would want to know. Look at what percentage of oos students were accepted and also look to see what percentage of interviewed oos students were accepted. If a school accepts a large number of the oos students who they interview, it might be worth applying to because you're not really out much with a pre-interview rejection.

the book I have simply says "Preference is given to state residents" or "Strong preference is given to state residents" or mentions nothing.

Thanks for the info, I'll look around

geez, VCU is $40k/yr. I might reconsider applying there.

the book I have simply says "Preference is given to state residents" or "Strong preference is given to state residents" or mentions nothing.

Thanks for the info, I'll look around

geez, VCU is $40k/yr. I might reconsider applying there.

But they take a lot of oos students. :) Tuition at most private schools is around $38k these days, so $40k isn't really that egregious. Another reason to want to get in in Texas.

Yeah, USNews will give you much better data than your book.

Does anyone think it is odd that there aren't hardly any people asking TMDSAS questions? I guess Ana just made a REALLY good FAQ section. :)

I'd probably ask more questions if I didn't want to avoid looking stupider than my mdapps page shows.

Come on! No self-defeating attitudes allowed in the great Republic of Texas!!

What did you think of Dr. H's performance the other day? And what did you think of that 4th exam?!? :eek: I didn't know anything and I actually studied for this one! I thought it was pretty hard, especially the fill in the blank...what in the world?

Come on! No self-defeating attitudes allowed in the great Republic of Texas!!

What did you think of Dr. H's performance the other day? And what did you think of that 4th exam?!? :eek: I didn't know anything and I actually studied for this one! I thought it was pretty hard, especially the fill in the blank...what in the world?
It was interesting, to say the least. He was very good at it, though. I was surprised that an old man could sing that well.

The test.. well.. yeah, I didn't like it. But it's my fault, I really didn't study hard for it. I did really well on the first 3 exams (97+ on each of them) so the pressure was really off of me. But yes, it was difficult. A lot more difficult than I ever expected.

Must be nice not having to take the final :)

It was interesting, to say the least. He was very good at it, though. I was surprised that an old man could sing that well.

The test.. well.. yeah, I didn't like it. But it's my fault, I really didn't study hard for it. I did really well on the first 3 exams (97+ on each of them) so the pressure was really off of me. But yes, it was difficult. A lot more difficult than I ever expected.

And you were being so self-defeating last night...:p

I just went to check my grade and I got to keep my A! Yay! I definitely thought I'd lost it after the last exam....I kept double checking and triple checking that I was looking at the right ID number, lol. Yay for no final, also!! Let the partying begin early. :hardy:

Yeah, they are posted on his office door.

while you two are patting each others backs the rest of us are wondering why you don't use the private message function.

sincerely,
the old man at the end of the street

while you two are patting each others backs the rest of us are wondering why you don't use the private message function.

sincerely,
the old man at the end of the street

Don't hate, someone's got to keep this thread alive. :D

I knew he'd treat you guys! :laugh: Did you approach him or was it a surprise? And, what did he sing?

Oh, and why has no one commented on the Texas bashing/Chuck Norris cameo from Family Guy last night? It was high-larious though sacrilegious.

"I hear there is no chin under Chuck Norris' beard, just another fist." and then, it punches someone. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I knew he'd treat you guys! :laugh: Did you approach him or was it a surprise? And, what did he sing?
oh I definitely had to approach him. I asked him on the next to last day if we'd ever get to hear him sing, he said he didn't think we'd have any time. On the last day of class we finished like 10-15 minutes early so he sang for us.

It was some song about a woman that shot men and kept saying "I'm so sorry, I promise I'll never do it again"

where's the sense in keeping the dead warm?

It's a technique to ensure hypothermics are truly dead. :scared:

"They're not dead until they're warm and dead."

This thread has been kept warm and shows signs of life, so therefore, it is not dead. :beat:

It's a technique to ensure hypothermics are truly dead. :scared:

"They're not dead until they're warm and dead."

This thread has been kept warm and shows signs of life, so therefore, it is not dead. :beat:

excellent grey's anatomy reference!

Oh, and why has no one commented on the Texas bashing/Chuck Norris cameo from Family Guy last night? It was high-larious though sacrilegious.

"I hear there is no chin under Chuck Norris' beard, just another fist." and then, it punches someone. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Ugh my DVR ate my recording of Family Guy. Was it a good episode?

Okay, I'm frustrated and I really need to vent. So I chose you guys as my audience (sorry).

One of my professors hasn't given us ANYTHING back in terms of assignments, tests or quizzes. Our final is on Saturday and I have no idea what grade I have so far!!!!!!!!!

So far we have had 2 quizzes, a midterm, a book report, a term paper and a presentation and I have NOTHING!!!!!

If I, as a student, am doing my part of the job by showing up to class and turning in my assignments on time, not to mention by paying my very expensive tuition, shouldn't the professors also do their part of the job?

I went by his office 3 times today, and he was evasive when I finally managed to find him the 2nd time. Then he told me my book report (the only thing "graded" so far) was the only one he hadn't graded and to come by later in the afternoon. I came by and he is in a freaking meeting. I e-mailed him after that and told him to just give me a time tomorrow to come by and pick it up, ANY TIME, and he hasn't replied yet.

So frustrating. Urghhhhhh. :mad:

(Again, sorry...vent over...)

I need a hug. And lots and lots of ice cream.

woohoo, nothing like knowing whether or not you're going to be able to graduate!

I'm sure everything will work out just fine for you.

Man, I need ice cream too

Sorry guys, yet another vent...my boyfriend of 1.5 years just broke up with me for no apparent reason. We're long distance and I'd just spent a great week with him, and he calls and breaks up with me. Man, what just happened?? :(

Ugh my DVR ate my recording of Family Guy. Was it a good episode?

It was friggin' amazing! Without telling the whole story, the Griffins had to flee to Texas, "the land of religious freedom," because the town thought Stewie was possessed, he threw up in church after scarfing down communion wafers and wine.

It was chock full of hilarious negative stereotypes and, of course, Chuck Norris. :laugh:

I was kind of dissappointed our thread was not all abuzz about it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.