This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_Dentist

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently a D1.

Pertaining to the rheostat, I know pretty much everyone uses their toe side to control the speed of the hand piece/burr. I was having trouble with that at first and observed a few older students using their heel.

Using my heel on the rheostat works better than ever and I’ve never looked back. It was so easy to pick up on and I’ve basically been doing it since the first month of operative. So, it’s normal to me at this point.

My question is, is this improper etiquette? Will I be fine doing this for the rest of my career?
It’s what works best for ME, correct?

This may be a dumb question to some but I truly want to know other students/dentist opinions on this one.

thanks - d1status

Members don't see this ad.

when I used only the front digits of my foot, I wasn't able to have full control of the rheostat. What work was to put the front half of my foot on it because, with more surface area of my foot on the rheostat, I was able to manage the speed much better. (I am a hygenist though so I only used it for polising)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I am currently a D1.

Pertaining to the rheostat, I know pretty much everyone uses their toe side to control the speed of the hand piece/burr. I was having trouble with that at first and observed a few older students using their heel.

Using my heel on the rheostat works better than ever and I’ve never looked back. It was so easy to pick up on and I’ve basically been doing it since the first month of operative. So, it’s normal to me at this point.

My question is, is this improper etiquette? Will I be fine doing this for the rest of my career?
It’s what works best for ME, correct?

This may be a dumb question to some but I truly want to know other students/dentist opinions on this one.

thanks - d1status
very interesting. I've never seen anyone use their heel before.

I use the front half of my foot. But whatever works. Are you using electric or air driven hand pieces?

I agree with doing whatever works but why do you need finesse?
I use electric and push it down all the way. My speed is controlled on the delivery unit. As a dental student you should experiment with electric hand pieces too

Last edited: