The Sept/Oct Submitters Club: What have YOU heard from schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys
I know and everyone here knows that waiting game sucks
and I am just trying to calm myself by posting this
I submitted in July but my LORs didn't go in until mid-Sept so I thought
I would need to join this club. (I mean I am thankful for the LORs but
at the same time, I am very frustrated about this...)
So far my list goes something like this:

UW - application received/secondary completed
Harvard - rejected 11/10/09
BU - interviewed 10/16/09
Columbia- interview 11/20/09
Tufts - application received/under review
NYU - application received/under review 10/07/09
Stony Brook - application received/under review 10/09/09
UConn - interviewed 10/30/09

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys

3 interviews pre-dec is good! Why are you frustrated?? Some people don't get any pre-dec-or any at all!

Oh I wasn't talking about the number of interviews.
Although I wouldn't mind more interviews, I am more frustrated with the fact that
it took 2+months for LORs to get there AFTER AADSAS mailing
so I got completion letters around late Sept/early Oct.
I even got some emails from school saying
"Oh LORs and initial AADSAS mailings were so far apart
that we couldn't match/find them quickly" or somehting like that

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I wasn't talking about the number of interviews.
Although I wouldn't mind more interviews, I am more frustrated with the fact that
it took 2+months for LORs to get there AFTER AADSAS mailing
so I got completion letters around late Sept/early Oct.
I even got some emails from school saying
"Oh LORs and initial AADSAS mailings were so far apart
that we couldn't match/find them quickly" or somehting like that

I would be frustrated too. One of my LORs I requested mid-Spring and the person didn't do it until Sept. and it was mailed out too late for some schools! He even told me he would do it within a month.

Good luck with your interviews though!

First time poster to this thread. My application was mailed 9/21, but I took my DAT 9/28, and the scores weren't sent until mid-Oct. So I think most schools started reviewing my app in mid-Oct.

pre-Dec 1st interview at BU
interview at Midwestern in January
interview at Pacific in January

wow you must have got a 40 on your DAT if you have an interview at UoP already :).

congrats!

Esub 7/2
Application mailed 7/24
LORs received 10/17 :-(
LORs mailed 10/26

Upenn and Havard application completed.
NYU, Temple, Pitts, Tufts, Case, Stony Brook, BU and Columbia application received.
Uconn interview 11/16.

Good luck to all of us!!!

Hi guys

when did you get your columbia interview??

allow me to have the honor of christening you into the interview process:

question 1 - why does your status list you are "pre-medical" ? :p

AHH!

Good catch. Prior to seeing the light, I WAS on the dark side.

I was a Pre-med for quite sometime. Took the MCAT, never shadowed a doctor, tmet my friends father who is a dentist whom I shadowed for 7 months now after work and can't stop going. :idea: I actually really enjoy dentsitry, the lifestyle, the work, and the patients so, here I am.

I feel the flame lashing out on me very soon.:scared:

AHH!

Good catch. Prior to seeing the light, I WAS on the dark side.

I was a Pre-med for quite sometime. Took the MCAT, never shadowed a doctor, tmet my friends father who is a dentist whom I shadowed for 7 months now after work and can't stop going. :idea: I actually really enjoy dentsitry, the lifestyle, the work, and the patients so, here I am.

I feel the flame lashing out on me very soon.:scared:
I mean, if you have a good explanation about switching I think you will be fine. It happens a lot. What would look questionable was if you applied to med-school and didn't get in or did poorly on the MCAT (which could hint at why you didn't apply and switched). This happened to one of my friends at school. He did poorly on the MCAT, 'decided' (or it was decided for him) that he didn't want to be a doctor so he started talking to me about dentistry...

I mean, if you have a good explanation about switching I think you will be fine. It happens a lot. What would look questionable was if you applied to med-school and didn't get in or did poorly on the MCAT (which could hint at why you didn't apply and switched). This happened to one of my friends at school. He did poorly on the MCAT, 'decided' (or it was decided for him) that he didn't want to be a doctor so he started talking to me about dentistry...

I wasn't aware that my MCAT records would appear on my dental transcript. However, I didn't do poorly enough on the MCAT to not be competively considered. Even if my MCAT records are avaliable for the schools to look at, it isn't something I am ashamed of and really wouldn't mind talking about.

Throughout college, the mentality of "you must be a doctor" was always pounded into my head. So, i started my path to move towards a MD/DO. It wasn't till I graduated college, began working in personal care industry and just happened to meet this awesome dentist, that I realized how wrong it is to follow this trend. I mentor prospective medical student and always ask them why they really want to be a doctor, because alot of times its that very push by parents that students do it. It happens all the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
so dental schools know if you've taken a mcat? i took one before realizing that dentistry is a better fit for someone who wants a family, among other reasons.

Last edited:
so dental schools know if you've taken a mcat? i took one before realizing that dentistry is a better fit for someone who wants a family, among other reasons.

i don't know about you guys, but i refresh my email like every 5 min hoping for an interview invite/rejection/something. i'm going crazy with this waiting game.

I wasn't aware that my MCAT records would appear on my dental transcript. However, I didn't do poorly enough on the MCAT to not be competively considered. Even if my MCAT records are avaliable for the schools to look at, it isn't something I am ashamed of and really wouldn't mind talking about.

Throughout college, the mentality of "you must be a doctor" was always pounded into my head. So, i started my path to move towards a MD/DO. It wasn't till I graduated college, began working in personal care industry and just happened to meet this awesome dentist, that I realized how wrong it is to follow this trend. I mentor prospective medical student and always ask them why they really want to be a doctor, because alot of times its that very push by parents that students do it. It happens all the time.
You're right. I don't think the AADSAS application makes you mention if you have taken the MCAT. I keep making that mistake because I know other schools that don't use AADSAS require that you list other professional tests you have taken. Sorry about that... Haha, I think I made that istake on another thread. And you should defintiely not be ashamed.

i don't know about you guys, but i refresh my email like every 5 min hoping for an interview invite/rejection/something. i'm going crazy with this waiting game.
No, they do not. I am sorry for the confusion. The Tennessee application requires that you tell if you have taken another test and when you took it. AADSAS schools do not

Thanks for that cLrification future dent.

Sjm, I hear you on the family part. Family is a HUGE part of my life, and I love the balance that a dentist can have.

I'm getting cazy looking at my email and aadsas every 30 min. I really really want to get in!

Best of luck

holy****!!!!!

Columbia Interview invite today!!!

Application mailed 9/21/09

Last edited:
Anybody a whiz about UPenn?
I got an invite and am really considering going -- it is a post Dec interview (I still have to call to schedule today).
Anybody have an idea on how UPenn's admissions work? How many offers do they hand out on Dec 1st? =\

THANK YOU =D

Update ---
For UPenn, there are still interviews available on Dec 4th, 10th and 11th!

From what I checked out on previous threads/posts, UPenn does send out a batch of offers on Dec 1st --- but there is still hope for post Dec 1st interviews as well. I checked out predents.com... and anyone who interviewed with UPenn after Dec 1st found out within a matter of 1-2 weeks, sweet eh :D

anyone who's AADSAS went out in september (specifically) hear back from anyone else? i keep seeing all these threads stating that some schools are completely done sending interviews, so that's lame.

sirdeadcat, you must have at least a 25 on your DAT to have gotten a Columbia interview :)

As mentioned in our private message, my scores/gpa are almost carbon copies of yours. My undergraduate institute might have been slightly more prestigious, but that's about it.

In any case, I'm not sure that we'll have a fair shot there. The earliest available interview spots are now in February, which kinda sucks.

On a side note. Anyone heard back from BU/Tufts/NYU by any chance?

Last edited:
As I posted earlier, my application was officially complete sometime in mid-Oct, which is the time my DAT scores were released to schools. I'm still waiting to hear from almost every school and it's getting quite frustrating. I mean, just reject me now if you're gonna do it, or interview me. Just give me something...

So yeah, keep up the updates here.

I got an interview phone call from Stony Brook last Friday for next Monday 11/23/09.
man but i am getting nervous about other schools though.
I really want to go to UW... do you think my credentials are good enough?

I got an interview phone call from Stony Brook last Friday for next Monday 11/23/09.
man but i am getting nervous about other schools though.
I really want to go to UW... do you think my credentials are good enough?

hey buddy, this the Sept. / Oct. club. you've had 4 interviews and submitted on july 14th.

we don't take kindly to your kind round these parts :p

(congrats on your interviews though :smuggrin: )

Nojoooooooooooo
I posted before in this thread that because of my LORs I didn't get completion mail till late September.
I guess you could still argue that I finished AADSAS earlier but.
I thought I would join this club. :(

Marlyland-Interviewed 10/7
Meharry - Interviewed 10/28
UNLV- Interviewed 11/5
BU- Interviewed 11/20
Western- Interview 12/2
USC- Rejection 11/1
UCSF- Received Under Review
Harvard- Received Under Review

Marlyland-Interviewed 10/7
Meharry - Interviewed 10/28
UNLV- Interviewed 11/5
BU- Interviewed 11/20
Western- Interview 12/2
USC- Rejection 11/1
UCSF- Received Under Review
Harvard- Received Under Review

wait, when did you apply? when did your AADSAS go out? i haven't even received so much as a rejection, yet you've had quite a cascade of contact from the schools :scared:

he might be late august submitters club haha, definately quite a bit of responses...

bumpin this b. what's the word? 1 week from tomorrow is D day.

i'm hoping that after the first round of acceptance/rejections that us here in the "club" get some of the scraps :)

I hope I hear some good news Dec 1st and then I can pack my bags and relax for the year.

yes please! hopefully things go into overdrive post-dec. i'm tired of hearing nothing back! it's scary hearing rejections are already going out..

right on hajibandeh! don't wanna go sifting through threads but that is your dream school right? how did you find out? mail/phone call?

yessir. well, to be fair, i've never been to the school, but i think columbia has a tremendous amount going for it, with several factors that are important to me:

- medically integrated program
- i want to do a dual DDS / MPH, and not many schools have that
- decently small (76) class size
- high rate of specialization should i feel so inclined
- my wife is applying there too (for a different grad program)

but it's in feb, so i'm keeping my expectations low as the class will be more than half full :oops:

Tufts interview should be going out this week for us late submitters. Lets cross our fingers.

yeah i have a feeling these next 3 weeks will be interesting for us late submitters. as our apps have been in the hopper so to speak for some time, i think we'll find out soon what's next :)

Has anybody's (those who haven't been invited) status under supplemental information for Tufts updated today? Mine has "no action required" dated today but my status has been "under review" since mid September (according to school decisions section).

I know Tufts will contact post-dec interviews within the next couple weeks.... Does anybody know if this is just an update or mean I'm passed up?

nope. nothing changed with my Tufts status, sill "Under Review"

camouflage831, when did you AADSAS go out to them?

AADSAS submitted 8/14; mailed 9/8; Tufts Reveiwed/under review 9/18 according to school decisions section.

It does still say "under review" under school decisions but if i click supplemental materials, it's "no action/response required" dated today.

So you don't have this "no action/response required"? omg, i'm soooo worried...