The Seven People You'll Meet on SDN (updated)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, I think the Humblebragger deserves a spot in the top 10.
My favorite variant of the Humblebragger is the user who totally isn't posting to brag about their 522 MCAT, they just really wanted to encourage everyone that, if they could do it, literally anyone can--even the guy who is on his 3rd try and still hasn't managed to break 500!! Never give up, reach for the stars, if you can dream it you can do it, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The Keyboard Warrior: Wants to show he or she is very very smart. likely an applicant, M1 or M2. More than willing to write a 10 paragraph argument on why undergrad or med school name matters or not, on the importance of an EC, or even develop some statistics to post. Dispenses straightforward, logical advice from time to time
Stop exposing me.

Reactions: 4 users
Variant of 8:
8b. The Loose Cannon. They tend to start out rational, but then decompensate. Usually this occurs over time, but some can do it even in a single thread. Often invoke Burnett's Law. Can be triggered by anything, including sunlight. Tx = swift application of Banhammer to middle of forehead.

There was a guy just like this on /r/premed the cycle before this one. Ramen, I believe he was called.

My favorite variant of the Humblebragger is the user who totally isn't posting to brag about their 522 MCAT, they just really wanted to encourage everyone that, if they could do it, literally anyone can--even the guy who is on his 3rd try and still hasn't managed to break 500!! Never give up, reach for the stars, if you can dream it you can do it, etc.
Bonus points if they complain about their 129 CARS.

Reactions: 3 users
Not sure if this counts as a variant of the URM Truther, but I call the user who incessantly asks you Stats?? GPA?? sGPA?? MCAT?? MCAT breakdown?? LOI?? URM?? ECs?? State?? after you ignore them because you're not comfortable revealing your entire identity The Nag.

Social security???

And here I am thinking I was a sage, at best.
Oh @Goro - I saw the post and thought, "They know me?!?!" :unsure:

You tho, ... yes, you are your very own category. Special category :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Yet another humblebragger subcategory--- "4.0, 525, 6 publications, 2000+ volunteer hours, olympic athlete... Do you think I have any chance of getting in?"

Yet another humblebragger subcategory--- "4.0, 525, 6 publications, 2000+ volunteer hours, olympic athlete... Do you think I have any chance of getting in?"

Nope, arrogant snot with no bedside manner and little empathy. Immediate /ignore :laugh:

You mean a DO student might actually have to match community Primary Care?! The horror.

The Self-Loathing OMS:

The self-loathing OMS is somehow both convinced that Osteopathic Medical training makes them a pariah akin to a leper, but also convinced that they “did the right thing” for their situation.

If the topic of the 2020 merger comes up, the self-loathing OMS has been known to gnash their teeth and scrape at their stress acne with bits of broken pottery, all while wearing burlap and a coating of fine ash, preferably the ashes of their Allopathic rejection letters.

The Podiatry Student
Usually a fine GPA but gets hammered by a sub 498 MCAT. Too stupid to get out of medicine entirely and go to dental school, but smart enough to know not to go to the Caribbean. Super chill about things/not much bothers them, even when people still think the schooling is a two year degree and all they can do is clip nails. Will probably end up happier than most doctors because they had to lower their expectations about medicine from the start.

The Dental Student
$$$$$$$

The Optometry Student
"Help Help, I cant find full time work and the internet and optications took er jurbs! The end is near!!!"

The Pharmacy Student
"Halp Halp! I just graduated school and the only jobs out there are in retail. CVS is a cruel mistress. The world has ended!!! (even though I gross about 110K/year with a 4 year degree) Go into computer science/IT, I heard its full of Happy Times and gumdrop forests, lollipop sunshine smiles, where nobody gets told what to do and is never under threat of being let go"

The PA/NP student
Everything was great in my 20s and 30s making high 90s low six figures, but feel unfulfilled in life (because younger hotter doctors are bossing me around but I wont admit that) and now I am 47 and want to go to Medical school.

The Physical Therapy Student
The starving Artist of the healthcare community.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Whenever I feel a little self loathing, or just want to see how much worse it could be, I head over to the Pharmacy forums. Then I remember that they are complaining about making 120K/year or their reluctance to move into a rural area, and then suddenly I dont feel so bad for them

omg that spelling just took me back to a hilarious story on deployment that is definitely not safe for these boards.

While my opinion on the following topic can be deduced from some of my older posts, there's another key figure we need to add. While some may argue this is a sub-species of The Troll, I argue from an evolutionary biology standpoint, that, the following is a an entirely different branch on the tree of life:

MD vs. DO Thread Starter: Usually a goon that has an opinion on this subject. Likely will cite examples just to irritate you:

1. When someone claims MD > DO, this is what MD vs. DO Thread Starter will lead with:
"WAIT how could you say MD is better than DO? Look at ____ DO School Match List, one student matched ACGME Dermatology-Cardiothoracic-Neurological-Pediatrics(At Boston Children's, of course),-plastic surgeon-EM.

2. When someone claims MD < DO, this is what MD vs. DO Thread Starter will lead with:
"Then why do MD schools have higher gpas nd mcat averages"
-or-
"MD schools will help you match into more competitive specialties at more hospitals, like HUP."

The MD vs. DO Thread Starter elicits another commoner on Student Doctor: Have you tried using the search function? There's like a million threads on this topic already. This is the dude that has no filter and isn't afraid to say what everyone is thinking. Not the hero we deserve, but the hero we need.

While my opinion on the following topic can be deduced from some of my older posts, there's another key figure we need to add. While some may argue this is a sub-species of The Troll, I argue from an evolutionary biology standpoint, that, the following is a an entirely different branch on the tree of life:

MD vs. DO Thread Starter: Usually a goon that has an opinion on this subject. Likely will cite examples just to irritate you:

1. When someone claims MD > DO, this is what MD vs. DO Thread Starter will lead with:
"WAIT how could you say MD is better than DO? Look at ____ DO School Match List, one student matched ACGME Dermatology-Cardiothoracic-Neurological-Pediatrics(At Boston Children's, of course),-plastic surgeon-EM.

2. When someone claims MD < DO, this is what MD vs. DO Thread Starter will lead with:
"Then why do MD schools have higher gpas nd mcat averages"
-or-
"MD schools will help you match into more competitive specialties at more hospitals, like HUP."

The MD vs. DO Thread Starter elicits another commoner on Student Doctor: Have you tried using the search function? There's like a million threads on this topic already. This is the dude that has no filter and isn't afraid to say what everyone is thinking. Not the hero we deserve, but the hero we need.
The best ones are the ones with like a 3.4 and 501 who ask this, and then a page in go "Sorry, not interested in DO!".

Reactions: 3 users
The best ones are the ones with like a 3.4 and 501 who ask this, and then a page in go "Sorry, not interested in DO!".
"I've known since I was an embryo Im going for plastic surgery at UCLA so I need to get into a MD school with these stats to do that"

"I've known since I was an embryo Im going for plastic surgery at UCLA so I need to get into a MD school with these stats to do that"
I love it when the school's super specific too... like they think saying something obvious like Harvard or Hopkins will make them look silly, so they bring up NYU or UCLA or Penn.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly plastics is possible as DO if you're really , really good.
It at least gives you a chance.

Only on SDN do people not realize that MD>DO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>giving up on medicine