The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you Abney (good pic :)), StartingoverVet, Emiloo4, bbeventer!!!

Im trying to rally, 2 more tests (25% each) and a quiz for 7%. I need a 96% average to get an A... a hefty challenge, but still possible. I guess I will cut back on the volunteering for a bit and focus more so I dont doubt myself as much. If I can do it, I can apply w a 3.41 (an improvement of .11 since last years apps, of course I took other additional coursework and did well too).

ITS TIME 2 GET SERIOUS :smuggrin: ... lol :oops:

20493825.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

I am a sad panda.

Another applicant to SGU with a higher GPA than me, and thousands of hours of experience just got rejected.

I don't know what I'll do if I get rejected from SGU as well. I hope they'll give me a shot at the foundations program at least.

ftb, don't ever compare yourself against others. If I were to do that, I would never be where I am at today (PM me for extended cut ;) ). You never know what those applicants PS's said, or how their essays were formed, or what their letters of recs stated, you know there are a lot of factors that go into winning this game then sheer numbers alone.

Don't give up hope!! If you want it bad enough, you will eventually get it!!

I am a sad panda.

Another applicant to SGU with a higher GPA than me, and thousands of hours of experience just got rejected.

I don't know what I'll do if I get rejected from SGU as well. I hope they'll give me a shot at the foundations program at least.
To some degree it is all a crapshoot. Don't jump to conclusions.
If you haven't gotten rejection letter, you are still being considered!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that explains a lot :rolleyes: ;)

Oh, this makes me so excited for this coming year :).

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems, Emiloo. You are a very determined person, and you can succeed in vet med crippled or not.

Power through, Virginger, you can do this!!!!

Keep calm FTB, let SGU find out how awesome you are before you count them out :).

I KNOW better than to compare myself to others but I am getting nervous seeing classmates here in NV throwing their hats in the ring. They are some strong applicants :scared:

Oh, this makes me so excited for this coming year :).

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems, Emiloo. You are a very determined person, and you can succeed in vet med crippled or not.

Power through, Virginger, you can do this!!!!

Keep calm FTB, let SGU find out how awesome you are before you count them out :).

Thanks CFC! I really appreciate the encouragement.

Just want to say supplementals suck. That is all

Yes. They're one reason I'm happy to be taking two classes right now: I can't possibly fill out supplementals until I have the grades from those classes to calculate last 30/45/whatever GPA.

Does this mean you're working on applications today? I know you're having a rough time with motivation, so I'm happy for you if you've found some today. It's a scary, sucky process we're going through (again).

The point is, is that no one is God, an no one can tell you what's going to happen to you. Best to live in the moment (within certain constraints) that you won't look back and say "I wish I did this".

This is very true. Doctors told my parents after the multiple seizures I had as an infant and into my toddler years that I would be unable to walk, talk, and would need lots of additional help with school, if I could even do that...

Good thing toddlers don't listen well... :p

I did not have an easy time in elementary school, my friends would take an hour or two to get their work done and it would take me 5 or 6 hours, but I still got the same grades...:)

Sometimes I still feel like it takes me longer to understand things or I can't comprehend something I just read but for the most part I think those doctors were full of ****e...

This is very true. Doctors told my parents after the multiple seizures I had as an infant and into my toddler years that I would be unable to walk, talk, and would need lots of additional help with school, if I could even do that...

I think those kinds of doctors just go by the CYA approach and with the worst case scenario so that if any of that did happen, your parents couldn't sue them when you didn't get into Harvard or whatever. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I KNOW better than to compare myself to others but I am getting nervous seeing classmates here in NV throwing their hats in the ring. They are some strong applicants :scared:

Right there with ya.

Oh that one isn't bad (unless it has changed in the last 3 years). Just info to fill out. At least you aren't having to write essays. (again, unless it has changed since I filled it out)

Oh that one isn't bad (unless it has changed in the last 3 years). Just info to fill out. At least you aren't having to write essays. (again, unless it has changed since I filled it out)

Nah it's not bad, just the first I've started.... have yet to even look at Auburn's this year

Abs, Auburns is fill out this personal info, answer this question and send us a passport photo.

It says something like write your answer to the question on a separate piece of paper and then there is no question............ :confused:

Someone emailed them about it and they are working on it, but it's basically, "why do you want to attend auburn's vet school?"
Just so you have an idea and can get started if you want.

Someone emailed them about it and they are working on it, but it's basically, "why do you want to attend auburn's vet school?"
Just so you have an idea and can get started if you want.

There also isn't really a word/character limit...unless that's changing for this year. I wrote like half to three-quarters of a page.

There also isn't really a word/character limit...unless that's changing for this year. I wrote like half to three-quarters of a page.

Yeah I think I had less than a page as well.

You think they'd let me in if I wrote "Because."?

It shows... erm.... diversity in application style? :confused:

I didn't think that one was bad. I talked about the surrounding area as well as the program and that I had 7 Auburn graduates as my first veterinary influences. Just research the school and make them think you only want them! :D

I was a lot more productive at working on apps when I actually had to go in for night shifts instead of just being on call.

I got a 85.5% on my exam, I needed a 96% :( (the teacher curved grades by 4 pts because the average was so low) ... I guess I am fighting for a B+ (3.3) in this class now. My GPA still moves up for schools that replace (3.35 --> a 3.39), but for schools that average my GPA just maintains at a 3.3... sigh. My last 45 should be a 3.82.

Any suggestions for schools that will take me seriously with that GPA? (I am def applying to KSU, Mississippi State, Oregon State, Iowa State)

I got a 85.5% on my exam, I needed a 96% :( (the teacher curved grades by 4 pts because the average was so low) ... I guess I am fighting for a B+ (3.3) in this class now. My GPA still moves up for schools that replace (3.35 --> a 3.39), but for schools that average my GPA just maintains at a 3.3... sigh. My last 45 should be a 3.82.

Any suggestions for schools that will take me seriously with that GPA? (I am def applying to KSU, Mississippi State, Oregon State, Iowa State)

KSU will!! I didn't apply to those other three so I don't know) Don't fret virginger, it comes down to more than just your GPA. I had a cum GPA of 3.3 (maybe 3.4, I can't remember) and a last 45 of 3.5 (if that even). You have a FANTASTIC last 45 GPA!!!! YOU CAN DO THIS! Just remember your application is made up of more than your GPA and don't let it stress you too much :rolleyes:

My cumulative was lower and my last 45 was similar. GPA isn't everything!

Western looks at the "whole package" :rolleyes: but its pretty expensive.

Western looks at the "whole package" :rolleyes: but its pretty expensive.

On that note, so does Colorado. They have a very unique way of looking at things but are still incredibly hard to get into.

And didn't you move to Oregon to establish residency? You are definitely positively changing your application and showing dedication to the process. You can do it! My GPA was 3.3-3.4ish with only a 3.6-3.7 for last 45 and I eventually made it.

Chin up, buttercup!

On that note, so does Colorado. They have a very unique way of looking at things but are still incredibly hard to get into.

i actually really really realllllly liked the way that CSU evaluated their applicants. i actually felt that i was seen most as the "whole package" at CSU (if that makes sense) than at any other school. i really did feel like they took into account everything (even though they didn't have an interview)

i actually really really realllllly liked the way that CSU evaluated their applicants. i actually felt that i was seen most as the "whole package" at CSU (if that makes sense) than at any other school. i really did feel like they took into account everything (even though they didn't have an interview)

Exactly! And my review was so thorough and she was very honest about things. I was surprised to make it on the waitlist. It really did show that they didn't just say "eh, they didnt make such and such gpa. DUMP."

Yeah, I was thinking of western (forgot to mention that)... I am open to applying to CSU being that I have enough veterinary hours to more than exceed their "average" ... I was also thinking about Oklahoma State, I have never been there so I dont know what its like.

So when you finish making study guides and you are at the point where you "just want to take the test already"... is that a sign that you're ready? Because I just can't take it anymore:poke:

So when you finish making study guides and you are at the point where you "just want to take the test already"... is that a sign that you're ready? Because I just can't take it anymore:poke:

For me, yes! Bc there really is nothing more you can learn if you are exasperated with the subject.

Now have I done well with those subjects? I dunno lol.

Gl Emiloo!

For me, yes! Bc there really is nothing more you can learn if you are exasperated with the subject.

Now have I done well with those subjects? I dunno lol.

Gl Emiloo!

I guess it doesn't hurt to keep going over it :bang:

I can get to the point where I've studied too much. Everything stops making sense or I start mixing things up. It's like.... I start studying BACKWARDS :laugh:

Exactly!!:thumbup:

i can get to the point where i've studied too much. Everything stops making sense or i start mixing things up. It's like.... I start studying backwards :laugh:

4 + 2 = 2

6*2 = 3
8/16= 2

ahhhhh!!!