The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Trying hard to be positive, yet not plan for acceptance so as not to jinx it. Three more days 'til I might have news. I'm realizing now that if the committee is getting back on Monday, that in no way means their bi-monthly meeting is on Monday. And it could be significantly longer and that would suck.

If you got accepted when would you be starting?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
That would be pretty soon! When's the latest they'll let you know?
I have no idea. The committee is supposed to meet twice a month to make decisions, and my interview came too late for the July meetings and they've been on vacation since 7/30 or so until 8/13. When they get back, they will meet again but I don't know whether they will do my final review right away now.
So right now I'm counting down the days till I get out of stasis-limbo. And then I reenter real limbo until they actually decide about me.

EDIT: Oh, and I lied. They've been out of the office since 7/27

Last edited:
Seriously FTB? So sorry that you have to wait longer. Hopefully there is a light at the end of this tunnel! I'm rooting for you <3

Members don't see this ad :)
I shall now express my emotions via emoticons. Enjoy.

:scared: :yawn: :bang: :whoa: :help: :smack: :boom: :barf:

Last edited:
I am interested in applying to Tennessee this fall but I just realized the biochemistry course I took at my undergrad was only one semester and 3 credits but on the Tennessee website it says biochemistry, exclusive of laboratory for 4 credits. Does this mean I have to take biochem someplace else?

I am interested in applying to Tennessee this fall but I just realized the biochemistry course I took at my undergrad was only one semester and 3 credits but on the Tennessee website it says biochemistry, exclusive of laboratory for 4 credits. Does this mean I have to take biochem someplace else?

Call Deborah Shepherd. Send her a copy of the syllabus. It might be fine (my 3 credit biochem course is).

Heart. Attack.

I allow myself to check the status page once a day. Only once or then I might be crazy.

Just checked, my August class application has been joined by a January one. OK, cool the Jan one says complete for final review.

The August one says "Decision Made, Please contact admissions"

:eek:

Ok, I opened the Jan one first, pretty darn sure they were just closing out my august app and transferring the data so the decision is just "closed" but those are loaded words!

*faint*

Two more weeks. 13 more days. More meditation and Yoga for me.

Fingers & toes crossed for you FTB.... I know the waiting sucks.... :xf::xf: :luck::luck:

this is you

funny-gifs-just-be-cool.gif

C'moooon, FTB. :xf::xf:

Also, Devyn - love your new avatar. ;)

:laugh:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

YAY FTB.

So my dogs have always lived in houses and now that we live in an apartment with sounds like doors being closed and people walking outside, they are going nuts. They bark at everything. Big mastiff and boxer barks. Not sure how to curb this behavior so I don't get kicked out of my complex lol.

So my dogs have always lived in houses and now that we live in an apartment with sounds like doors being closed and people walking outside, they are going nuts. They bark at everything. Big mastiff and boxer barks. Not sure how to curb this behavior so I don't get kicked out of my complex lol.

My pup had the same problems going from a house to an apt. We've been here almost a month and he's almost adjusted. Almost.

I'm still new to SDN.. But I think all this reading and cruising has got me in panic mode. I recently decided I was only going to apply to 2 schools, my IS-Tennessee and Missouri as an OOS. I've done tons of research into several other schools but these two just seem like a good fit to me.. But seeing that some people apply to 5+ schools has got me worried that I should be doing the same thing. This is my first application cycle. I'm normally a pretty confident person but Now I'm second guessing myself.. Ahhh . Not to mention my PS is scaring me senseless. I don't even know where to start!
Any help is appreciated!
KP. :eek: :confused:

I'm still new to SDN.. But I think all this reading and cruising has got me in panic mode. I recently decided I was only going to apply to 2 schools, my IS-Tennessee and Missouri as an OOS. I've done tons of research into several other schools but these two just seem like a good fit to me.. But seeing that some people apply to 5+ schools has got me worried that I should be doing the same thing. This is my first application cycle. I'm normally a pretty confident person but Now I'm second guessing myself.. Ahhh . Not to mention my PS is scaring me senseless. I don't even know where to start!
Any help is appreciated!
KP. :eek: :confused:

Only apply to a school if you can see yourself attending that school and living in that area for the next 4 years of your life. There is not point in applying to a school just for the sake of applying and hoping to get in. Vet school is stressful enough as it is to be unhappy in the area/place that you are living in.

Hope this helps, Good Luck! :luck:

Only apply to a school if you can see yourself attending that school and living in that area for the next 4 years of your life. There is not point in applying to a school just for the sake of applying and hoping to get in. Vet school is stressful enough as it is to be unhappy in the area/place that you are living in.

Hope this helps, Good Luck! :luck:

Awesome! I'm glad to have some reassurance about this. I just don't see myself being anywhere else. I definitely want to stay in the south, near my family, and financially I want to keep costs as low as possible! I guess UT and Mizzou are it for me!
Thanks!

I am having huge difficulties editing my PS. I just got some suggestions from a professor of mine, all of which I like, each of which individually would put me over the character limit, and altogether would put me 700 characters over. I just can't figure out what I could cut to make space for the changes she suggests.

I can't decide if I should cut some content (I only talk about three things, really, so it's not like I'm trying to cram my resume in there), or not use the suggestions that I think make it a better essay.

Blargle *flail arms*

I am having huge difficulties editing my PS. I just got some suggestions from a professor of mine, all of which I like, each of which individually would put me over the character limit, and altogether would put me 700 characters over. I just can't figure out what I could cut to make space for the changes she suggests.

I can't decide if I should cut some content (I only talk about three things, really, so it's not like I'm trying to cram my resume in there), or not use the suggestions that I think make it a better essay.

Blargle *flail arms*
start abbreviating words. Seriously. I used vet instead of veterinary or veterinarian.

Make sure you don't use 2 spaces after periods (yes that matters)

Use contractions.

Choose smaller words every place you can.

Find one word to replace 2.

Seriously I cut out a good 5-700 characters just editing for size etc.

Seriously having a freak out. I'm realizing there really is not that much time before applications are do. I still have no freaking clue what I'm going to end up doing with my PS and haven't even had time to touch it. I haven't written any of my supplemental essays and don't have any idea what I'm going to do with half of them. Just really starting to panic. Hopefully I can turn panic into production though...

Seriously having a freak out. I'm realizing there really is not that much time before applications are do. I still have no freaking clue what I'm going to end up doing with my PS and haven't even had time to touch it. I haven't written any of my supplemental essays and don't have any idea what I'm going to do with half of them. Just really starting to panic. Hopefully I can turn panic into production though...

Have you tried free writing???? I had a hard time for some of mine too and that really helped me get some ideas.

You are fine. Just, relax. You still have over 5 weeks. Just work on it slowly and take breaks if needed. It isn't going to help filling out the applications and writing a PS when you are stressed. Get some wine, some food, calm down and then when you are calm write out ideas. You can do it!! :D

It isn't going to help filling out the applications and writing a PS when you are stressed. Get some wine, some food, calm down and then when you are calm write out ideas. You can do it!! :D

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Really good advice. Be in the right frame of mind when you write.

I cut out a good 5-700 characters just editing for size etc.

I just worked on someone's PS a few weeks back. It was something like 800-900 characters over the limit when I got it (I might be exaggerating... I can't remember exactly, just that it was way over the limit). When I was done, I hadn't removed any significant content and she had 300-400 characters free to work with.

If you're really struggling to cut it down, it might be a good time to get a fresh set of eyes on it to help you a) rewrite sentences for length, and b) help you see what content isn't important and can be cut.

But seeing that some people apply to 5+ schools has got me worried that I should be doing the same thing. This is my first application cycle. I'm normally a pretty confident person but Now I'm second guessing myself..

Don't panic. There's plenty of us that only applied to one school, too. (Anyone remember what VMCAS said the average was some months back when I asked? Wasn't it around 3? Am I making that up?) There's one advantage to applying to one school - you can really focus your personal statement on why THAT school is the best place to be. It's not a huge advantage, but it's still something you can use.

I'm with DVMD - apply to schools you want to attend. Don't worry about what other people are doing.

ugh, ME TOO! Thankfully, I have been able to get most of my PS written and ready for some editing. At this point, I'm not sure whether I love it or hate it... I have a countdown thing and I realized yesterday that we only have ~39 days left! that doesn't sound like very much time and I still have supps to finish, transcripts, and GRE scores to send out. seems like so much! anyways, good luck to you! I'm sure you will rock it :)

Thanks guys. Trying not to let it get to me too much. I think just coupled with the fact that I need a new job and I have a lot of extra stuff to do with work I'm just feeling really overwhelmed.

ugh, ME TOO! Thankfully, I have been able to get most of my PS written and ready for some editing. At this point, I'm not sure whether I love it or hate it... I have a countdown thing and I realized yesterday that we only have ~39 days left! that doesn't sound like very much time and I still have supps to finish, transcripts, and GRE scores to send out. seems like so much! anyways, good luck to you! I'm sure you will rock it :)

This is evil. I did the 4 with the test and had to pay for three more. Cost me $75! So so mean.

I will be paying for them for a third time...... :cry:

That does suck.

Had to order more transcripts. My school makes it too complicated for them to be sent directly, whereas I just click send to me and it fills out everything.

Honestly I just need to edit, but I don't want to edit. Also I need to find some secret inheritance to pay for everything.

This is evil. I did the 4 with the test and had to pay for three more. Cost me $75! So so mean.

I got away with not paying anything to send SAT scores when applying to undergrad colleges. It was awesome. Not so this time around with GRE scores.

I will be paying for them for a third time...... :cry:

Do really not any schools hold scores or transcripts or anything? Lame.

I need some opinions guys.

I am so thrilled to be accepted to the January class at SGU. I have a pending app for their DVM/MPH and the MPH is something I really am interested in academically. I love epidemiology etc.

But. It involves staying an extra two months the first two summers, and most students apparently split the third term of DVM curriculum into two terms due to the large amount of credits that you take with the dual degree. It means shorter breaks and an extra semester on the island. It would mean I am aligned with US c/o 2017ers for clinical year, which might be nice (finish year 3 in May rather than the previous December) But also keeps me from my SO longer and might limit the externships I could do in those first two years. I'm not sure how big a deal that will be in the end (the externships) when I go to practice or residency. I also don't know how much value the MPH will have for me.

Anyone have any experience with MPH programs or any non-PhD dual degrees? How about with externships over the summer vs spending some time at home?