The Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you guys use interfolio? Is it worth it? I'm thinking of applying to a lot of med schools in June so I think that will be my best option...

Members don't see this ad.

Did you guys use interfolio? Is it worth it? I'm thinking of applying to a lot of med schools in June so I think that will be my best option...

YES. I highly recommend interfolio for everyone applying. They are accepted by every school other than MSU-COM and are infinitely easier and cheaper than 90% of school services. I know had I used my undergrad's service the cost would have been 4-5x as much with a much greater delay.

Not to mention the letters on interfolio stay as long as you keep an active account and you can use the account for more than just med school. I highly recommend it.

Definitely easier, although I only wound up applying to 3 schools I could tell that it was infinitely easier than trying to manage the letters yourself or have a pre-med committee handle it.

Anyone who is interested in purchasing my MCAT studying materials (examkrackers full set and 1001 questions) I just posted an ad in the for sale wanted section. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
YES. I highly recommend interfolio for everyone applying. They are accepted by every school other than MSU-COM and are infinitely easier and cheaper than 90% of school services. I know had I used my undergrad's service the cost would have been 4-5x as much with a much greater delay.

Not to mention the letters on interfolio stay as long as you keep an active account and you can use the account for more than just med school. I highly recommend it.

Definitely easier, although I only wound up applying to 3 schools I could tell that it was infinitely easier than trying to manage the letters yourself or have a pre-med committee handle it.

Anyone who is interested in purchasing my MCAT studying materials (examkrackers full set and 1001 questions) I just posted an ad in the for sale wanted section. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Use interfolio. Its imperative

Thanks for the tips. So do you tell your letter of rec writers to just write the letter to "to whom it may concern" or whatever?

However they'd address it. Just make it a general statement to admissions committees. As far as i can tell my writers adressed it either "to admissions committee" or "to whom it may concern"

this thread is dead with the holidays coming around lol

lets livin it up then

oh and btw fellas I got my physics final exam grade back. there were 125 possible points and 10 extra credit points. I pulled a 135 and owned that bitch!

hey folks,

I'm hoping people with LECOM experience can help answer some questions for me.

1. Are the different branch campuses treated as separate schools? (i.e. separate secondary applications, adcoms, interviews?) Or the three branches are combined into one application process?

2. I saw the secondary essay questions for LECOM from two years ago in the sticky thread up top. Has that changed? I did see one post that LECOM removed all the essay questions this year?

thanks alot ^^

hey folks,

I'm hoping people with LECOM experience can help answer some questions for me.

1. Are the different branch campuses treated as separate schools? (i.e. separate secondary applications, adcoms, interviews?) Or the three branches are combined into one application process?

2. I saw the secondary essay questions for LECOM from two years ago in the sticky thread up top. Has that changed? I did see one post that LECOM removed all the essay questions this year?

thanks alot ^^

1) You can apply to either Bradenton or a combined Seton Hill/Erie "campus." In the secondary for Erie, you will list your preference for SH or Erie and choose which if interviewed.

2) No essays this year, just a $50 fee and rehashing some AACOMAS info.

1) You can apply to either Bradenton or a combined Seton Hill/Erie "campus." In the secondary for Erie, you will list your preference for SH or Erie and choose which if interviewed.

2) No essays this year, just a $50 fee and rehashing some AACOMAS info.

Ah OK, thank you for the info. Is it an one-or-the-other type deal with applying to Bradenton vs. SH/Erie? Can we apply to both or we have to choose up front which one to apply to?

Also, any idea if the "no essay" is just for this year or a permanent type deal?

thanks!!!

Ah OK, thank you for the info. Is it an one-or-the-other type deal with applying to Bradenton vs. SH/Erie? Can we apply to both or we have to choose up front which one to apply to?

Also, any idea if the "no essay" is just for this year or a permanent type deal?

thanks!!!

No you don't have to choose Erie or Bradenton. You can apply for both. I think VCOM you have to pick if you're applying to VA or SC campus.

No idea re: essay.

Members don't see this ad :)
No you don't have to choose Erie or Bradenton. You can apply for both. I think VCOM you have to pick if you're applying to VA or SC campus.

No idea re: essay.

Ah OK, so Erie and Bradenton are two separate application and interview processes right? with different adcoms?

I assume the secondary applications are the same for both, no essays?

thanks ^^

Ah OK, so Erie and Bradenton are two separate application and interview processes right? with different adcoms?

I assume the secondary applications are the same for both, no essays?

thanks ^^

They do have different adcoms, secondary apps are identical but you will need to fill out each one individually, and you will have seperate interviews.

Merry Christmas to all the underdogs, and to all the underdogs a goodnight.

Hey everyone, thought I'd join the party here :cool:

Here's my situation: http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=21538

Finishing up the CCOM secondary essays now. DMU wants a LOR from a doctor who can directly speak to my clinical experience and I don't have that - wish I had known that before - so that secondary is not happening.

I'll just use that money to send out another primary. An admissions rep from PCOM-GA told me that they tend to take a lot of people from this area, although I know their class size is relatively small (88) so I'm concerned they might be full at this point.

LECOM-PA has my file in review - chose Seton Hill as 1st choice for the PBL - whereas LECOM-FL is still in the process of sending it over for review. PCOM should either have my snail mail secondary or be getting it this week. NSUCOM has had my secondary for awhile but WebStar doesn't show that they've downloaded my LORs from Interfolio yet.

Anyway. No interview invites yet. No rejections either. So maybe no news is good news. It's late in the process, I know, but I'm confident I'll have a shot somewhere. Find out in the next month or so, I figure.

Until it happens, just gotta keep the dream alive :xf:

. I'll just use that money to send out another primary. An admissions rep from PCOM-GA told me that they tend to take a lot of people from this area, although I know their class size is relatively small (88) so I'm concerned they might be full at this point.

PCOM-GA is increasing their class size to 135 for the Class of 2015 (I'm pretty sure this was the number mentioned at my interview day). The definitely give a lot of preference to those from the Southeast states so don't lose any hope!

Good luck :luck:

hey guys! I decided on VCOM-CC:) out of all of my acceptances (KCUMB & RVUCOM) and withdrew my interviews at DMU and ATSU-KCOM. I just really, REALLY felt good at VCOM:love:. People there were soooo nice and I have complete confidence in the new campus. Maybe I will see some of you there!

I am very proud to call myself an underdog. Things def. went well for me this cycle. I wish all of you the best of luck. I had a 23 MCAT and thought I was doomed, turns out quite the opposite.

Best of luck everyone!:thumbup::thumbup: So proud of all of you!:luck:

hey guys! I decided on VCOM-CC:) out of all of my acceptances (KCUMB & RVUCOM) and withdrew my interviews at DMU and ATSU-KCOM. I just really, REALLY felt good at VCOM:love:. People there were soooo nice and I have complete confidence in the new campus. Maybe I will see some of you there!

I am very proud to call myself an underdog. Things def. went well for me this cycle. I wish all of you the best of luck. I had a 23 MCAT and thought I was doomed, turns out quite the opposite.

wow you withdrew from DMU! vcom CC must be legit cause that school is awsome. congrats on your decision.

hey you guys think ill hear back for an interview after aacomas gets my new grades out to schools?

all these schools "officially" put me on hold (lmu dcom's told me verbally over the phone they were waiting for my physics grade, Im assuming its because it was a C- and I pulled an A on the retake)

WVSOM
VCOM
VCOM CC
LECOM erie
LMU DCOM

I havent heard a peep from ............

PCSOM
PCOM
PCOM georgia
UMDNJ SOM
UNECOM

and ive alread been rejected from
DMU
NOVA
KCOM
WCUCOM (never recieved their secondary no official rejection but im assuming its silent)
LECOM bradenton

what do you guys think? my new calculated GPA after this semester will be going from a 3.01 to a 3.2. and my most recent mcat that was updated to schools 9/15 was a 25. 9 /7/9. i dunno im hoping at least i get an interview or two in case I have to re apply that I can have some experience under my belt for next season.

I apologize if this has been addressed previously but how exactly do you go about updating grades for schools? Like if I completed another semester and want the school to see it.Thanks!

kyvaro01

hey you guys think ill hear back for an interview after aacomas gets my new grades out to schools?

all these schools "officially" put me on hold (lmu dcom's told me verbally over the phone they were waiting for my physics grade, Im assuming its because it was a C- and I pulled an A on the retake)

WVSOM
VCOM
VCOM CC
LECOM erie
LMU DCOM

I havent heard a peep from ............

PCSOM
PCOM
PCOM georgia
UMDNJ SOM
UNECOM

and ive alread been rejected from
DMU
NOVA
KCOM
WCUCOM (never recieved their secondary no official rejection but im assuming its silent)
LECOM bradenton

what do you guys think? my new calculated GPA after this semester will be going from a 3.01 to a 3.2. and my most recent mcat that was updated to schools 9/15 was a 25. 9 /7/9. i dunno im hoping at least i get an interview or two in case I have to re apply that I can have some experience under my belt for next season.

I think that if DCOM put you on hold until they see your physics grade that is a good sign since they didn't outright reject you. That means they are obviously intrigued and if you did well on the physics retake they will probably take another good look at you. I interviewed 11/29 and people were saying it was still early in the season and that the class definitely wasn't full yet, so I think that even if you interviewed later you might have a chance. Definitely keep in touch with them though. The faculty and students there are a really tight nit community and I think if they could see you as part of that community it would probably override your (not even bad) stats. I didn't apply to any of the rest (save VCOM CC but I would have to take another science class to go there so I didn't send in the secondary) but I would think that you might still hear from some of them if they haven't rejected you yet. You are just making your app stronger. Anyway, good luck. I am rooting for a DCOM interview for you! I am thinking that's where I'll end up next year, and am always rooting for fellow underdogs.

Hey, it's late in the application cycle, but with that "A" on your transcript and a .2 increase, I think you are giving them a strong reason to look at your file again. Good luck.

I think that if DCOM put you on hold until they see your physics grade that is a good sign since they didn't outright reject you. That means they are obviously intrigued and if you did well on the physics retake they will probably take another good look at you. I interviewed 11/29 and people were saying it was still early in the season and that the class definitely wasn't full yet, so I think that even if you interviewed later you might have a chance. Definitely keep in touch with them though. The faculty and students there are a really tight nit community and I think if they could see you as part of that community it would probably override your (not even bad) stats. I didn't apply to any of the rest (save VCOM CC but I would have to take another science class to go there so I didn't send in the secondary) but I would think that you might still hear from some of them if they haven't rejected you yet. You are just making your app stronger. Anyway, good luck. I am rooting for a DCOM interview for you! I am thinking that's where I'll end up next year, and am always rooting for fellow underdogs.
thanks man. congrats on your acceptance! LMU was actually my first choice even prior to submitting my primaries(considering I truly believe in their mission statement and LOVE rural areas). Thanks for the encouraging words. I really hope they do interview me cause I think I would be a great fit for their community and would love to be a part of it. Thanks for rooting for my corner!
Hey, it's late in the application cycle, but with that "A" on your transcript and a .2 increase, I think you are giving them a strong reason to look at your file again. Good luck.
I actually pulled 2 A's so I hope that it does look good. thanks for the encouraging words triage. means a lot

I apologize if this has been addressed previously but how exactly do you go about updating grades for schools? Like if I completed another semester and want the school to see it.Thanks!

kyvaro01
to get grades to schools as soon as possible i would contact them and se if you can email/fax your recent grades. some will give you a faster method and some will say that they prefer to wait for your grades to come from aacomas.

as far as generally updating all your schools you need to send your updated "transcript" to aacomas and they take care of the rest. just fill out a transcript request form like you did originally, one from aacomas and the generic from your schools registrar and give it to your school to send out. the rest will be taken care of by aacomas and remember that they send out all updates on tuesdays. good luck.

Hey guys,

I graduated in December from UC Irvine and my GPA right now is a solid 2.8. I am going to retake 4 classes at my community college. Im going to retake 1 in Jan, 2 more in march, and one more in summer(Animal Bio and Inorganic Chem 1, 2, 3). My GPA raises .1 if I get an A in each of the retakes. Theoretically, I can have a 3.2 come July.

I havent taken the MCATs either. Im studying really hard right now and I am taking it in April 9th. I'm not quite sure what my stats will be 6 months from now(when I am applying), but I am sure I will be a fellow underdog for next year's classes. I am aiming to apply early to up my chances. I got 2 letters of rec already.

I also have NO ECs at all(just some research for 2 summers). I'm going to shadow a DO doctor in January and will get 50-100 hours in. I am hoping that enough for EC.

If it all works out for me, I hope to get at least a 3.0-3.2 GPA and 30-32 MCAT. I hope this is enough to get into some DO school. I don't want to go to the carribeans :/

Any suggestions about my next months from fellow underdogs is greatly appreciated.

It was not too long ago that I was in your exact footsteps. I hope you reach your goals. the next 6 months will be serious for you. You need to show through your classes NOW that your previous classes were just flooks and that you could have handled the materia but werent focused. Its gonna be hard. I retook physics 1 and 2. inorganic 1 and 2 and am now retaking bio 1. all at the same time are taking upper level bio classes like biochem and medical botany etc. DO not focus on the MCAT. if its one thing I learned the hard way its that if you didnt do well in your prereq like less than a B in most of them (like myself) than you will TTANK the mcat. despite good test taking abilities. hell I bet after taking physics 1 and bio 1 over again this semester I could improve on my current mcat score. I woud not sit for the mcat until you not only are completed with your prereq's but that you have suceeded in every single one. mastering all of the material is half the battle to doing well on the mcat. then mastering the exam is the next step. So you are aiming your sights high, which is good and you should keep it that way. Just acknowledge the difficulty that lies ahead and buckle down and destroy the classes coming up. worry about the mcat later. dont worry about when you will apply for now, worry about smashing your classes, then acing the mcat THEN applying. Also regarding your EC's you need to step it up BIG TIME. especially since you will be applying with a mediocre gpa like myself.

this is coming from someone who went from a 1.8 to a 3.2.

So it can be done, but its gonna be hard. GET TO WORK and good luck

Damn. Apparently all the nice people hang out on the osteo forum. :thumbup:

Damn. Apparently all the nice people hang out on the osteo forum. :thumbup:
I think what happens in the Osteo forum is what usually happens in small minority communities. You have a struggle to relate to with one another and spend more time around other people (I can barely notice the same name twice in pre-allo) and that leaves less room to misunderstandings.

I also have NO ECs at all(just some research for 2 summers). I'm going to shadow a DO doctor in January and will get 50-100 hours in. I am hoping that enough for EC.

Any suggestions about my next months from fellow underdogs is greatly appreciated.
I honestly don't think that's enough. Average applicant was 1.5 years of volunteer work spanning about 150-200 hours total. Your application would also be missing other critical components like leadership, volunteering outside of medicine, tutoring or the like, etc.

I honestly don't think that's enough. Average applicant was 1.5 years of volunteer work spanning about 150-200 hours total. Your application would also be missing other critical components like leadership, volunteering outside of medicine, tutoring or the like, etc.

Agreed. I think it'll look too much like a rush job which translates poorly to the ad coms. Just what I think.

Hey guys,

I graduated in December from UC Irvine and my GPA right now is a solid 2.8. I am going to retake 4 classes at my community college. Im going to retake 1 in Jan, 2 more in march, and one more in summer(Animal Bio and Inorganic Chem 1, 2, 3). My GPA raises .1 if I get an A in each of the retakes. Theoretically, I can have a 3.2 come July.

I havent taken the MCATs either. Im studying really hard right now and I am taking it in April 9th. I'm not quite sure what my stats will be 6 months from now(when I am applying), but I am sure I will be a fellow underdog for next year's classes. I am aiming to apply early to up my chances. I got 2 letters of rec already.

If it all works out for me, I hope to get at least a 3.0-3.2 GPA and 30-32 MCAT. I hope this is enough to get into some DO school. I don't want to go to the carribeans :/

I'll write out a longer response early next year when I'm not busy, but I just wanted to say Zot Zot! ;) haha

Yo Dr. Yiot, I'm not sure what'll happen when they get your new grades, but I'm hoping for the best for you man :thumbup:

Thanks all for pms, time and responses. Thanks for your interest sinfest---take your time plz, no hurry!

Reading through the "what are my chances" thread and seeing a majority of students asking what their chances were with a lowly 3.90Sci GPA and 38T MCAT got me thinking :idea:. I came to this site in hopes of positive reinforcement and I now often leave believing I don't have a chance in the world. I'm hoping we can have a thread for all of us underdogs to help each other out, and STAY POSITIVE. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10007002&postcount=540

No clue how I hadn't seen this previously. Epic thread. You're a good man!

just got rejected from UNE via snail mail yesterday. way to start the new year off right. they didnt even wait for my new grades. AND im waiting to send my physics grade in to schools who want it (had a C-) and im waiting to send them both at once but MY BIO PROF HASNT POSTED IT YET. I took the final almost 2 weeks ago (12/22) why isn't the frigging grade up yet. My test average for that class was a 112. how hard is it to just hit the "A" button. CMON ITS KILLING ME

just got rejected from UNE via snail mail yesterday. way to start the new year off right. they didnt even wait for my new grades. AND im waiting to send my physics grade in to schools who want it (had a C-) and im waiting to send them both at once but MY BIO PROF HASNT POSTED IT YET. I took the final almost 2 weeks ago (12/22) why isn't the frigging grade up yet. My test average for that class was a 112. how hard is it to just hit the "A" button. CMON ITS KILLING ME

That sucks about UNE, but try to keep your head up about the other schools. What I did with grades was shoot them an "unnoffical transcript" email with my new classes and grades, and add that the "official" updates have been sent to aacomas.

Congrats on making your decision! I'm curious, what did you think of KCUMB? I have an interview there next week and if I'm accepted will also have to decide between VCOM-CC and KCUMB.

That sucks about UNE, but try to keep your head up about the other schools. What I did with grades was shoot them an "unnoffical transcript" email with my new classes and grades, and add that the "official" updates have been sent to aacomas.

How do you create an unofficial transcript?

How do you create an unofficial transcript?

I'm not sure about your undergrad, but my school has an option to check your transcript online. I guess you could copy the info to a word document and attach it to an email, or attach screenshots of the unofficial transcript to the email.

Another way is if you already opened up the transcript from the envelope to just send that as unofficial or to scan it and send online as unofficial.

hi guys,

Not getting much of a response from the school-specific forum, so I thought I'll post my question here.

Does anyone know if WesternU/COMP's 2 campuses have different adcoms or share the same one?

thanks ^^

I'm not sure about your undergrad, but my school has an option to check your transcript online. I guess you could copy the info to a word document and attach it to an email, or attach screenshots of the unofficial transcript to the email.

Another way is if you already opened up the transcript from the envelope to just send that as unofficial or to scan it and send online as unofficial.
my school has the online option but my grades havent been posted yet. the only grade showing is my physics grade which my professor handed in. My biology grade shows nothing on the unnoficial transcript. My professor hasn't handed in the grade yet and its been 2 weeks, even thought my average in the class is an A. Maybe were misunderstanding eachother?:oops:

hi guys,

Not getting much of a response from the school-specific forum, so I thought I'll post my question here.

Does anyone know if WesternU/COMP's 2 campuses have different adcoms or share the same one?

thanks ^^

I'm pretty sure they have different ones. I remember reading it somewhere but can't remember where. Not positive though.

my school has the online option but my grades havent been posted yet. the only grade showing is my physics grade which my professor handed in. My biology grade shows nothing on the unnoficial transcript. My professor hasn't handed in the grade yet and its been 2 weeks, even thought my average in the class is an A. Maybe were misunderstanding eachother?:oops:

As long as you are sure that your grades are A's you can probably just send them an e-mail saying that you took so and so classes and your grades are A's and that you have submitted the new transcripts to AACOMAS. I have heard of people in the allo forum sending updates like this and having it work, so maybe if you want to get the ball moving a little you can send them that and then if they want to check your transcript they can when it finally comes in. Just make sure they are the right grades, because it could probably really hurt you if you say you made A's and then they check your transcript and you made an unexpected B or something.

As long as you are sure that your grades are A's you can probably just send them an e-mail saying that you took so and so classes and your grades are A's and that you have submitted the new transcripts to AACOMAS. I have heard of people in the allo forum sending updates like this and having it work, so maybe if you want to get the ball moving a little you can send them that and then if they want to check your transcript they can when it finally comes in. Just make sure they are the right grades, because it could probably really hurt you if you say you made A's and then they check your transcript and you made an unexpected B or something.
hmmm, So I can just "tell" them I got an A? I can copy and paste my unnoficial transcript from AACOMAS and it shows 2 classes, physics and biology. It shows for physics that I got an A and for Biology it doesnt show anything. I can just state in the email that I got an A and that it just hasn't been handed in by the professor yet? hmm its a little questionable to me but I might try it. I will probably wait and see if It's posted by tommorow mourning and if Not then I will go with that Plan. Thanks

hmmm, So I can just "tell" them I got an A? I can copy and paste my unnoficial transcript from AACOMAS and it shows 2 classes, physics and biology. It shows for physics that I got an A and for Biology it doesnt show anything. I can just state in the email that I got an A and that it just hasn't been handed in by the professor yet? hmm its a little questionable to me but I might try it. I will probably wait and see if It's posted by tommorow mourning and if Not then I will go with that Plan. Thanks

I'm a reasonable guy. However, two weeks after taking the final simply is not reasonable. I'm a firm believer that an undergrad has a realistic expectation to know how they did after an entire semester of hard work within a reasonable time frame.

In other words... send your professor an e-mail and ask what the hell the hold up is. In nicer form, of course.

I'm pretty sure they have different ones. I remember reading it somewhere but can't remember where. Not positive though.

I sure hope so. If they have the same adcom, might be kinda bad if they see the essays for their two campuses end up being nearly identical ;p

As a side note, I really hope WesternU has the longest essays for any DO school....4 essays, 4 pages total..yikes. I really do envy the people could do these in one sitting.

I'm a reasonable guy. However, two weeks after taking the final simply is not reasonable. I'm a firm believer that an undergrad has a realistic expectation to know how they did after an entire semester of hard work within a reasonable time frame.

In other words... send your professor an e-mail and ask what the hell the hold up is. In nicer form, of course.
oh that email was already sent out Saturday mourning. I completely agree

And ofcourse no response back