The Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey you guys think ill hear back for an interview after aacomas gets my new grades out to schools?

all these schools "officially" put me on hold (lmu dcom's told me verbally over the phone they were waiting for my physics grade, Im assuming its because it was a C- and I pulled an A on the retake)

WVSOM
VCOM
VCOM CC
LECOM erie
LMU DCOM

I havent heard a peep from ............

PCSOM
PCOM
PCOM georgia
UMDNJ SOM
UNECOM

and ive alread been rejected from
DMU
NOVA
KCOM
WCUCOM (never recieved their secondary no official rejection but im assuming its silent)
LECOM bradenton

what do you guys think? my new calculated GPA after this semester will be going from a 3.01 to a 3.2. and my most recent mcat that was updated to schools 9/15 was a 25. 9 /7/9. i dunno im hoping at least i get an interview or two in case I have to re apply that I can have some experience under my belt for next season.

Did VCOM-CC place you on hold pre or post secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I have a 22mcat and I was placed on hold at Wvcom and have sent all my Secondaries, around October, to pcom, pcom-ga, vcom, umdnj, nyit, nova and Kentucky but i haven't heard anything are they waiting for my new Mcat without out right saying it?

Did VCOM-CC place you on hold pre or post secondary?
they actually placed me on hold pre secondary

btw guys, my professor finally posted the grade this mourning at 7:30 AM. i emailed all the schools and sent my updated transcript into aacomas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I graduated in December from UC Irvine and my GPA right now is a solid 2.8. I am going to retake 4 classes at my community college. Im going to retake 1 in Jan, 2 more in march, and one more in summer(Animal Bio and Inorganic Chem 1, 2, 3). My GPA raises .1 if I get an A in each of the retakes. Theoretically, I can have a 3.2 come July.

I havent taken the MCATs either. Im studying really hard right now and I am taking it in April 9th. I'm not quite sure what my stats will be 6 months from now(when I am applying), but I am sure I will be a fellow underdog for next year's classes. I am aiming to apply early to up my chances. I got 2 letters of rec already.

I also have NO ECs at all(just some research for 2 summers). I'm going to shadow a DO doctor in January and will get 50-100 hours in. I am hoping that enough for EC.

If it all works out for me, I hope to get at least a 3.0-3.2 GPA and 30-32 MCAT. I hope this is enough to get into some DO school. I don't want to go to the carribeans :/

Any suggestions about my next months from fellow underdogs is greatly appreciated.

Alright, so here's my longer response.

I'll start off by saying it seems to me you're rushing into this and to me an extra year off would give you a lot of time to work on improving your application (more classes, more EC's, etc), but it's up to you if you want to apply during the next cycle. I don't mean to shoot you down and it's definitely possible to get in if you decide to apply for a spot in the class of 2016.

Regarding your GPA, it is weak. But that's something you know and it's something you're proactively working on. If you can, squeeze in an extra class or two per quarter/semester. Those extra classes could give your GPA a huge boost.

Regarding your EC's, I'm not sure how good it will look if the only medical experience you have came after graduating from UCI. But there's not much you can do about that, so let's make the best of your situation. Definitely shadow the DO doc, and at the same time try to shadow a MD just to show you have been exposed to both sides. If you're still around the UCI area, also look into applying for a spot in the CCE program at Hoag Hospital. I know the program gets a lot of **** from students for having to clean poo, change sheets, etc. But come on, you're an unlicensed undergraduate student, what do you expect to do? Fix a pneumothorax, insert a stent, deliver a child? GTFO. What the program is good for is being able to rotate through different floors of the hospital (oncology, surgery, ED, etc), and being able to see a wide range of medicine. Sure you don't get to do much, but you see so much! How many people can say they have seen someone die in front of their eyes, seen an operation in the OR from only a couple feet away from the patient, seen alcoholics trying to get a buzz from hand sanitizer, etc? I can. IMO, experience at a large hospital looks great on your application and it will give you another thing to talk about during your interviews. Also try to do some community service. Some schools will ask about that on their secondary application.

With all that said, I know it's going to be very hard to balance all of that and study for the MCAT at the same time. If you're really set on applying this soon, it's still possible. It will suck, but the hard work will be worth it. Aim for the highest score you can possibly get and just try your best.

Basically, cram in as much as you can during the next 6 months. Take as many classes as you can, do the most EC's you can, study for the MCAT the best you can, and get the best LORs you can.

Good luck fellow alum :hello:

Right now I am so pumped! learned about the WVSOM interview right before Christmas and am interviewing there on Feb 2 if anyone else is too that's great!

then.....got an email from GA PCOM today about an interview there on Jan 25! I'm so stoked!!!!!

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but this dream of becoming a doctor could actually be so close...a long way from the first summer school chemistry pre req I took 3 years ago.

Good luck to everyone in this new year of 2011. I know tons of you have already gotten accepted and that is so great.... hoping to provide hope for those of us who have yet to interview and are hoping for the best!

I also heard from PCOM-GA today for interview on Jan 31. I was a little excited seeing as how this will be my first interview. I was a little worried about getting interviews, but I now feel like I have hope! haha I have a 3.5 GPA and 24 MCAT, but I'm hoping my extracurriculars will help. I think I volunteered more than I slept throughout college!

Any PCOM-GA interview tips?

I also heard from PCOM-GA today for interview on Jan 31. I was a little excited seeing as how this will be my first interview. I was a little worried about getting interviews, but I now feel like I have hope! haha I have a 3.5 GPA and 24 MCAT, but I'm hoping my extracurriculars will help. I think I volunteered more than I slept throughout college!

Any PCOM-GA interview tips?

The PCOM-GA interview is the least stressful interview ever! Everybody is so friendly and they go above and beyond to make you feel welcomed. The interview itself is short and sweet. It'll usually be you, Trena and a faculty member or osteopathic physician. All I was asked was why medicine and why DO? The rest of the interview was purely conversation.

You should also know that the interview time given to you in your e-mail is not necessarily when you'll be interviewed. They have to do that to work with their e-mail system. When I went in, Trena decided to do the interviews during lunch because it was 2 days before Thanksgiving so traveling was beastly for most of us. Be sure to let her know if you have a flight to catch and she will definitely accommodate you.

Good luck!!!

Hey guys ^^

In essays, is it safe to assume the adcoms will know the acronyms for states and also for US (i.e. US = United States)?

Hey guys ^^

In essays, is it safe to assume the adcoms will know the acronyms for states and also for US (i.e. US = United States)?
Yes, especially if you use it in a logical context (e.g. I went to Wayne State University, MI.)

Hey guys, I have recently withdrawn from interviews at Touro-NV on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 and WVSOM on February 14, 2011.

So if anyone has interviews at either snatch em up! haha, good luck to everyone again!

hey guys,

Anyone have experience with how AACOMAS treats NP (not pass) from UC Berkeley? I received NP in two non-science courses (4 semester unit class & 1 semester unit class).

This is what's stated in the instructions for AACOMAS:

Pass/Fail: courses in which you were graded on a Pass/Fail system, including Credit/No Credit, Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory, and High Pass/Pass/Fail, grading systems. The grade of "P" should be listed for Pass and "N" for Non-pass or Fail in the AACOMAS grade column. However, if the grade of FAIL is either included in the GPA calculations or considered to be equivalent to the letter grade of Fail at your institution, the letter grade of "F" should be listed in the AACOMAS Grade column and included in your GPA calculations.

This is what's stated on UC Berkeley's website:

NPNot PassBelow C-; assigned to undergraduates only; not included in grade-point computation.

This is a bit confusing because UC Berkeley doesn't include NP in GPA calculations, which made me think AACOMAS wouldn't include it in its GPA calculations. However, UC Berkeley does state that NP is "below C-". Of course, "below C-" encompasses D and F, whereas AACOMAS says "considered to be equivalent to the letter grade of Fail at your institution."

UPDATE: Interview and acceptance at WVSOM!!

Keep pushing everyone and dont give up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

Last time I posted on this thread was before my MCAT in August. I studied for the MCAT for a month and received a score of 25 (9P, 7V, 9B). I was disappointed, but still applied. I was complete at most schools mid October.

Applied to 8 schools:

UMDNJ, PCOM, LECOM, LECOM-B, WVSOM, OUSOM, NYCOM, NSU.

Got rejected from LECOM-B

Intervied at WVSOM. And Today I found out I got in!!!!!!!!!!

If i can get in with a 25 and a 3.2 GPA (3.1 science), you guys can get in!!!!!!! Keep your head up. Getting that letter is worth all this trouble, believe me. My EC activities were just decent on paper (I thought they were amazing and gave me a lot of experience; but on paper they looked pretty average). I didn't go save the world or find the cure for anything. Please keep your head up and lets become Doctors!!!!!!!!!!!!!

High Five to you too, but not for trying to beat up Scott Pilgrim*

Watch the movie Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World if you don't understand the reference.

I had a 3.0GPA in my undergrad and a 2.9 in my science, got a 20 on my first MCAT and a 23 on my second MCAT. I knew that wasn't good enough so I continued with my graduate degree and have a 3.7GPA now. Got into PNWU. I just want to say where there is a will there is a way. You may have to take the long road but you can get there and you will probably be better off. Doing graduate school allowed me to take Virology, embryology, neuroanatomy, Immunology, neurophysiology, and I was the TA for A&P for 11 quaters. Good luck you guys.

I had a 3.0GPA in my undergrad and a 2.9 in my science, got a 20 on my first MCAT and a 23 on my second MCAT. I knew that wasn't good enough so I continued with my graduate degree and have a 3.7GPA now. Got into PNWU. I just want to say where there is a will there is a way. You may have to take the long road but you can get there and you will probably be better off. Doing graduate school allowed me to take Virology, embryology, neuroanatomy, Immunology, neurophysiology, and I was the TA for A&P for 11 quaters. Good luck you guys.

Congrats on the successful results of your hard work!

Can I just say that this thread gives me hope in life.

Hello everyone,

Last time I posted on this thread was before my MCAT in August. I studied for the MCAT for a month and received a score of 25 (9P, 7V, 9B). I was disappointed, but still applied. I was complete at most schools mid October.

Applied to 8 schools:

If i can get in with a 25 and a 3.2 GPA (3.1 science), you guys can get in!!!!!!! Keep your head up. Getting that letter is worth all this trouble, believe me. My EC activities were just decent on paper (I thought they were amazing and gave me a lot of experience; but on paper they looked pretty average). I didn't go save the world or find the cure for anything. Please keep your head up and lets become Doctors!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is very encouraging for me! Congrats!!

Hello everyone,

Applied to 8 schools:

very encouraging! I interview there on Feb. 2 and I hope that I can join you in the ranks!!! congrats !!!!! :) let's become Doctors people !!!

Congratulations, Mr. Patel! Always good to hear some positive news.

I'm beginning to lose more and more hope as the days go on. :(

Just got into Western! Dont give up fellow underdogs! I have a 3.2ish and 30R MCAT

Congrats to all the acceptances. I have to say we are a sexy group of underdogs, look at all these acceptances!

Just got into Western! Dont give up fellow underdogs! I have a 3.2ish and 30R MCAT

Congrats to all the acceptances. I have to say we are a sexy group of underdogs, look at all these acceptances!
so will it be western or touro-ny? congrats!

WVSOM must hate me. It's the only other school I wound up applying to and I've been deferred since AUGUST!

i checked my status there a couple weeks ago, just for kicks. it said my application essentially didnt exist :laugh:.

Congrats man, I know how much you wanted that :)

so will it be western or touro-ny? congrats!

Its a hard choice believe it or not. I really really liked New York City itself and I respect the goals of Touro-NY (to help the under served community). However, Western not only has an awesome location but the faculty and medical students there were too nice and compassionate to turn down. I believe my education will be much better at Western too:)

Who knows maybe i can do my residency in NYC and get the best of both worlds:laugh:

Can I just say that this is the most epic thread ever? I read it and it inspires me, gives me just enough to keep dragging though orgo and physics.

Can I just say that this is the most epic thread ever? I read it and it inspires me, gives me just enough to keep dragging though orgo and physics.

Just keep rolling through, hopefully you won't belong in here when you're done :laugh:. I really need to update the front page, there are so many posts now I've practically given up. Overall we it seems like we did pretty well.:thumbup:

Just thought I would add my $.02 since I've stalked this thread for forever without having actually posted! I've always found a lot of these postings and stories to be REALLY inspirational and positive, and just thought I would share my own stats to motivate someone else!

I was accepted to RVUCOM with cGPA 3.8, sGPA 3.6 and an MCAT of 23R. Moral of the story: IT'S TOTALLY POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

nvm, found my answer in an older thread.

Last edited:
The 2010-2011 Underdog thread is beginning to die :(

Alright, I'll throw in some info for my underdog brethren out there :)

MCAT scores: 24R (2007), 26Q (2008), 27Q (2010)
AACOMAS sGPA/cGPA: 3.26 (had some C's in my pre-reqs...no desire to retake)

Now, my story (for those who feel like reading):

This was my 4th application cycle and 2nd time applying to DO programs. The first time I applied, I really had no business...24 and 3.1...who was I kidding?!?! I was accepted to Ross and SGU, but wasn't quite ready to resign myself to the Caribbean so I tried again.

The 2nd cycle, I did MD and DO. I was rejected from all MD schools and offered interviews at LECOM-B and ATSU/SOMA. I was waitlisted at LECOM-B and decided not to interview with ATSU/SOMA because I was weary of going to a school with no track record in clinicals or residency.

The waitlist at LECOM-B allowed me to apply to the Anatomy Certification Program at Tulane SOM and I was accepted. The general rule for ACP was "make the class average in anatomy and histo and you're in." Well, I had to keep my full-time job and, as a result, missed the class average in anatomy by 0.5 points and didn't get in to Tulane, even though I did very well in the other classes. I also didn't get in at either LSU campus.

This cycle, I applied to Tulane (I had good reason, but it didn't work out...big surprise), LSU-New Orleans as well as PCOM-PA, PCOM-GA, UNECOM and NYCOM. I was accepted to PCOM-GA and offered an interview at UNECOM :D

My advice to all the underdogs is not to give up!! If you really want to be a physician, you need to do everything you possibly can to make it happen. There were certainly many times where I felt like throwing in the towel, but I'm so glad I didn't.

Those pre-reqs may be tough to pull through and studying for the MCAT is painful but if you put in the necessary work, it will be so worth it in the end :)

So in June does someone start a new one for 2011-2012 (I'm planning on applying) or does this one just get revived? I mean, this is the most epic thread ever. Imagine it after several application cycles...

Alright, I'll throw in some info for my underdog brethren out there :)

MCAT scores: 24R (2007), 26Q (2008), 27Q (2010)
AACOMAS sGPA/cGPA: 3.26 (had some C's in my pre-reqs...no desire to retake)

Now, my story (for those who feel like reading):

This was my 4th application cycle and 2nd time applying to DO programs. The first time I applied, I really had no business...24 and 3.1...who was I kidding?!?! I was accepted to Ross and SGU, but wasn't quite ready to resign myself to the Caribbean so I tried again.

The 2nd cycle, I did MD and DO. I was rejected from all MD schools and offered interviews at LECOM-B and ATSU/SOMA. I was waitlisted at LECOM-B and decided not to interview with ATSU/SOMA because I was weary of going to a school with no track record in clinicals or residency.

The waitlist at LECOM-B allowed me to apply to the Anatomy Certification Program at Tulane SOM and I was accepted. The general rule for ACP was "make the class average in anatomy and histo and you're in." Well, I had to keep my full-time job and, as a result, missed the class average in anatomy by 0.5 points and didn't get in to Tulane, even though I did very well in the other classes. I also didn't get in at either LSU campus.

This cycle, I applied to Tulane (I had good reason, but it didn't work out...big surprise), LSU-New Orleans as well as PCOM-PA, PCOM-GA, UNECOM and NYCOM. I was accepted to PCOM-GA and offered an interview at UNECOM :D

My advice to all the underdogs is not to give up!! If you really want to be a physician, you need to do everything you possibly can to make it happen. There were certainly many times where I felt like throwing in the towel, but I'm so glad I didn't.

Those pre-reqs may be tough to pull through and studying for the MCAT is painful but if you put in the necessary work, it will be so worth it in the end :)

That's quite the journey. Congrats on the acceptance! :)

So in June does someone start a new one for 2011-2012 (I'm planning on applying) or does this one just get revived? I mean, this is the most epic thread ever. Imagine it after several application cycles...

I'm sure HockeyDr wouldn't mind passing the torch onto someone else. IMO it would be better to make a new thread :)

I'm sure HockeyDr wouldn't mind passing the torch onto someone else. IMO it would be better to make a new thread :)

We generally make new application threads in June or July for each school. :)

Yeah, I think a new thread in June would be a good idea. Maybe I will start one then since I will be applying this summer! I will definitely be considered an underdog... I take my MCAT in April so we will see how that goes.

Yeah, I think a new thread in June would be a good idea. Maybe I will start one then since I will be applying this summer! I will definitely be considered an underdog... I take my MCAT in April so we will see how that goes.

Get a 40 on your MCAT, then you won't have to have the burden of making it?

This underdog just received an interview invitation for Nova :)

This underdog just received an interview invitation for Nova :)

Congrats

I guess a new thread does seem like a good idea.

Get a 40 on your MCAT, then you won't have to have the burden of making it?

Well that's the big wild card isn't it? None of us really have any idea what we'll get on the MCAT until we take it. Sometimes though, I sit back, and think, "Wow. How the heck am I ever going to make it into med school." I have a 3.45 cGPA and a 3.1 sGPA, and very little in the way of EC's, so I could get a 30 and still feel like an underdog.

Well that's the big wild card isn't it? None of us really have any idea what we'll get on the MCAT until we take it. Sometimes though, I sit back, and think, "Wow. How the heck am I ever going to make it into med school." I have a 3.45 cGPA and a 3.1 sGPA, and very little in the way of EC's, so I could get a 30 and still feel like an underdog.

That sounds a lot like me haha... When I apply, I will probably have a cGPA in the range of 3.36-3.43 and a sGPA around exactly a 3.0. I do have a very strong list of EC's/volunteering/shadowing, and I haven't had the MCAT yet. I am taking the Kaplan course though so hopefully that will help...

Hey guys! I applied last June, then took the MCAT, got a 21K- yikes... so I gave up for the year. I decided two weeks ago that since I spent the money I'd see if I still had a shot. I sent out one secondary and I already got an interview invite!!
My GPA is high, (3.75 both) and I have a lot of extra curricular activities (including serving in the army as a medic), but STILL! I'm super excited!
So, after an interview invite is it possible I'll still get screened out for this atrocious MCAT score?

its at Western COMP. Do you know if they would ask me for an interview if they were just going to screen me out for my MCAT?

its at Western COMP. Do you know if they would ask me for an interview if they were just going to screen me out for my MCAT?

Congrats on the interview invite! Who knows if they will screen you out after the interview, all you can do is go and try your best :)

I interviewed there early in the cycle and thought I had a great interview, but I was flat-out rejected a month later. I have great EC's, great LOR's (one from a Western professor), average MCAT, and a below average GPA which is the only thing I believe could have caused my rejection. But who knows...

Good luck!

Weird! It seems pointless to invite someone to an interview if you don't like their GPA, MCAT, LOR's etc. What state are you from? I am from OR which may also help...

Weird! It seems pointless to invite someone to an interview if you don't like their GPA, MCAT, LOR's etc. What state are you from? I am from OR which may also help...

Oh, you're interviewing at Western in Lebanon? I interviewed at Western in CA, my home state. Take what I said with a grain of salt, there may have been something during my interview they didn't like that I didn't notice. Just try your best and hope for the best :)

Yeah, i know that none of us really know how they work everything. I'm definitely looking for honest answers, just hoping for good news. It's sooo hard to wait!