The Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That sounds a lot like me haha... When I apply, I will probably have a cGPA in the range of 3.36-3.43 and a sGPA around exactly a 3.0. I do have a very strong list of EC's/volunteering/shadowing, and I haven't had the MCAT yet. I am taking the Kaplan course though so hopefully that will help...
I take courage in the fact that a rep from a DO school encouraged me to apply if I could get my cGPA over a 3.0. We can make it!

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys ^^

just for reference, when a secondary asks about "hometown," does that mean my current residence, place where i was born/grew up, or where I spent most of my time?

It's because those 3 I just listed are different places >.< ;p Also, in terms of "grew up," if I moved places when I was young (i.e. spent childhood growing up in multiple places), what would "grew up" be considered as? location where I spent the most of my childhood or location where I was the youngest at?

thnx!

Just got an interview at NOVA southeastern...

Here are my stats:

MCAT: 28M
GPA: 2.84
sGPA: 3.3

Applied: 11/17/10

Extra Curricular:
800 hours volunteering
2 years research with 1 publication
3 years of work as a CNA

Definitely an underdog, now on to the interview! What do you think my chances are?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview at NOVA southeastern...

Here are my stats:

MCAT: 28M
GPA: 2.84
sGPA: 3.3

Applied: 11/17/10

Extra Curricular:
800 hours volunteering
2 years research with 1 publication
3 years of work as a CNA

Definitely an underdog, now on to the interview! What do you think my chances are?

NSU is pretty good about accepting the people they interview, so thats definitely something to take comfort in. Just go in and try your best, that's all you can do. Good luck! :)

ATSU-SOMA interview invite today. Not sure if I should go to it or not. Thoughts on the school?

I feel like you are my twin.. Except I chose to go to Mississippi College for their masters in medical science program.

Currently waiting on LSU-NO, LSU-S, PCOM-PA, PCOM-GA, UMDNJ and WCU-COM. Just sent out transcripts in Dec.
Congrats, hope to be joining you at PCOM-GA!

Alright, I'll throw in some info for my underdog brethren out there :)

MCAT scores: 24R (2007), 26Q (2008), 27Q (2010)
AACOMAS sGPA/cGPA: 3.26 (had some C's in my pre-reqs...no desire to retake)

Now, my story (for those who feel like reading):

This was my 4th application cycle and 2nd time applying to DO programs. The first time I applied, I really had no business...24 and 3.1...who was I kidding?!?! I was accepted to Ross and SGU, but wasn't quite ready to resign myself to the Caribbean so I tried again.

The 2nd cycle, I did MD and DO. I was rejected from all MD schools and offered interviews at LECOM-B and ATSU/SOMA. I was waitlisted at LECOM-B and decided not to interview with ATSU/SOMA because I was weary of going to a school with no track record in clinicals or residency.

The waitlist at LECOM-B allowed me to apply to the Anatomy Certification Program at Tulane SOM and I was accepted. The general rule for ACP was "make the class average in anatomy and histo and you're in." Well, I had to keep my full-time job and, as a result, missed the class average in anatomy by 0.5 points and didn't get in to Tulane, even though I did very well in the other classes. I also didn't get in at either LSU campus.

This cycle, I applied to Tulane (I had good reason, but it didn't work out...big surprise), LSU-New Orleans as well as PCOM-PA, PCOM-GA, UNECOM and NYCOM. I was accepted to PCOM-GA and offered an interview at UNECOM :D

My advice to all the underdogs is not to give up!! If you really want to be a physician, you need to do everything you possibly can to make it happen. There were certainly many times where I felt like throwing in the towel, but I'm so glad I didn't.

Those pre-reqs may be tough to pull through and studying for the MCAT is painful but if you put in the necessary work, it will be so worth it in the end :)

ATSU-SOMA interview invite today. Not sure if I should go to it or not. Thoughts on the school?

I just got one (an interview at Atsu-soma) yesterday, too! Withdrew tho because I've already put my deposit down for vcom. Good luck on your decision.

I took a tour of their campus a few weeks ago. It was small but I walked away much more impressed than I thought I would be. Everything is brand new, they have patient simulation, lots of computers everywhere. One thing I thought was interesting is that they have a traditional-style lecture hall for the dental students, but the main lecture hall for the DO program is different. It has tables arranged into small groups where the students would face each other; however, there are monitors EVERYWHERE so nobody has to strain to see the lecturer, who stands at a podium right in the middle of the room.

Id go to the interview sinfest. I know u probly dropped a ruff deposit on touro but you never know. The only thing kinda weird is their style curriculum. I say if u can afford it go. Just imagine if u decide that's where u wanna be the next four years

there's no point in going if you've already decided you're going to be happy elsewhere. the only reason to go would be if it was your top choice or a choice ranked higher than other places you've been accepted. save the time and money.

there's no point in going if you've already decided you're going to be happy elsewhere. the only reason to go would be if it was your top choice or a choice ranked higher than other places you've been accepted. save the time and money.

I disagree completely. Sure, you may have decided you will be happy someplace already, but how do you know you wouldn't be HAPPIER somewhere else unless you go check the school out.

I am attending every interview invite I have received (9 so far). Yes, the cost sucks, but for the rest of my life, this will be the school where I received my medical school education, so I think I owe it to myself to consider each one carefully, and obviously that means visiting/interviewing at the school.

you know if an interview is worth it or not based on if the school has everything you're looking for or not. i turned down 3 interviews after i received an acceptance to one of my top choices and i knew it had everything i wanted, whereas those other school did not. why waste my time and money, and the school's time and money? to each their own, but there comes a point where interviewing, just to interview, is pointless.

Im gonna have to agree with Cliff on this one. I do think to a degree its a waste. Why not simply rank your interview preferences and than attend the top 3, or something like that. However at the end of the day its YOUR decision and YOUR future so if you want to go ahead. I just would not do it, but than again thats coming from someone who only got 2 interviews

TheOne: On a side note, your signature is awesome lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got one (an interview at Atsu-soma) yesterday, too! Withdrew tho because I've already put my deposit down for vcom. Good luck on your decision.

Thanks, congrats on VCOM :)

I took a tour of their campus a few weeks ago. It was small but I walked away much more impressed than I thought I would be. Everything is brand new, they have patient simulation, lots of computers everywhere. One thing I thought was interesting is that they have a traditional-style lecture hall for the dental students, but the main lecture hall for the DO program is different. It has tables arranged into small groups where the students would face each other; however, there are monitors EVERYWHERE so nobody has to strain to see the lecturer, who stands at a podium right in the middle of the room.

Thanks! Did they tell you how the school assigns you to your CHC? And do you complete all of your core third year rotations at that site?

Id go to the interview sinfest. I know u probly dropped a ruff deposit on touro but you never know. The only thing kinda weird is their style curriculum. I say if u can afford it go. Just imagine if u decide that's where u wanna be the next four years

I disagree completely. Sure, you may have decided you will be happy someplace already, but how do you know you wouldn't be HAPPIER somewhere else unless you go check the school out.

I am attending every interview invite I have received (9 so far). Yes, the cost sucks, but for the rest of my life, this will be the school where I received my medical school education, so I think I owe it to myself to consider each one carefully, and obviously that means visiting/interviewing at the school.

you know if an interview is worth it or not based on if the school has everything you're looking for or not. i turned down 3 interviews after i received an acceptance to one of my top choices and i knew it had everything i wanted, whereas those other school did not. why waste my time and money, and the school's time and money? to each their own, but there comes a point where interviewing, just to interview, is pointless.

Im gonna have to agree with Cliff on this one. I do think to a degree its a waste. Why not simply rank your interview preferences and than attend the top 3, or something like that. However at the end of the day its YOUR decision and YOUR future so if you want to go ahead. I just would not do it, but than again thats coming from someone who only got 2 interviews

TheOne: On a side note, your signature is awesome lol

Dr. Yiot, Cliff, Theone, DrC, you all have valid points. IMO it comes down to personal preference whether or not you want to attend all of your interviews or just a select few. I agree a bit more with Cliff and DrC though, that's why I withdrew from a few of my interviews early in the app cycle. Basically, I'm just trying to see if anybody has some information to share regarding the school to help me make my decision. I've found some info on their website and on SDN, but since the school is relatively new the available information is a little limited or difficult to find.

I do appreciate everyones input though :)

Hi everyone! I'm new to SDN.

I had an interview at KCUMB in December and I got accepted! I was so excited because I really didn't know if I would get an interview anywhere.

3.59 GPA
3.49 sGPA
23O on the MCAT
lots of extracurriculars
research experience

My pre-med advisor actually tried very hard to talk me out of applying this cycle and retake the MCAT because he basically said I would be wasting my money on the fees applying with a 23 and wouldn't get in anywhere. I'm really glad I didn't listen to him!

Also, if you have a lower MCAT score and get an interview, don't worry about the score anymore because at that point they like the way you look on paper they just want to see who you are in person

I feel like you are my twin.. Except I chose to go to Mississippi College for their masters in medical science program.

Currently waiting on LSU-NO, LSU-S, PCOM-PA, PCOM-GA, UMDNJ and WCU-COM. Just sent out transcripts in Dec.
Congrats, hope to be joining you at PCOM-GA!

awww...I have an underdog twin :)

Good luck with your apps...I hope things work out for you this year!

Hi everyone! I'm new to SDN.

I had an interview at KCUMB in December and I got accepted! I was so excited because I really didn't know if I would get an interview anywhere.

3.59 GPA
3.49 sGPA
23O on the MCAT
lots of extracurriculars
research experience

My pre-med advisor actually tried very hard to talk me out of applying this cycle and retake the MCAT because he basically said I would be wasting my money on the fees applying with a 23 and wouldn't get in anywhere. I'm really glad I didn't listen to him!

Also, if you have a lower MCAT score and get an interview, don't worry about the score anymore because at that point they like the way you look on paper they just want to see who you are in person
congrats.

Yeah, I think a new thread in June would be a good idea. Maybe I will start one then since I will be applying this summer! I will definitely be considered an underdog... I take my MCAT in April so we will see how that goes.

A few months ago I suggested rules for inclusion in our wonderful club. Such as, at least one major part that makes you an underdog (GPA < 3.2, MCAT < 25, etc.) so that we don't have 3.8 and 29 people crying woe is me.

Can I also suggest that everyone must be in prior to submitting an application? No waiting to get in then saying "yesss i'm an underdog who did it!" Put it all on the line, up front!

Looking too deeply into it?

Can I also suggest that everyone must be in prior to submitting an application? No waiting to get in then saying "yesss i'm an underdog who did it!" Put it all on the line, up front!

I didn't even know about sdn.net when I applied, and I didn't know about this group before I got accepted. I can assure you that had I known, I would have been all in before I heard anything.

A few months ago I suggested rules for inclusion in our wonderful club. Such as, at least one major part that makes you an underdog (GPA < 3.2, MCAT < 25, etc.) so that we don't have 3.8 and 29 people crying woe is me.

I am wondering how and if I will update this beast of a thread. At the end of the application cycle I'll give it one huge update for everyone that posted after my last update (which was a while ago). Then everyone can see a large scale picture of the 2010-2011 application cycle.

New thread for next cycle is definitely a great idea, good luck to whoever takes on that task :laugh:.

I can say though, I've noticed that after this thread was created, there were VERY few threads asking about what the lowest GPA/MCAT people got in with. I guess that's a plus.

I agree with the sentiment that a lot of people did just pop in after they got in which does not seem the same, but whoever runs the next thread can take over those responsibilities :laugh:. I'm sure i'll pop in and help out the hopeless, as many have helped me. Glad to see the thread made a positive impact on some people.

putting stipulations on when you can join is stupid. this is an open thread on a public forum. not everyone finds sdn at the same time. i agree that there should be some sort of cutoff for gpa and mcat though.

Thanks! Did they tell you how the school assigns you to your CHC? And do you complete all of your core third year rotations at that site?
They told that each student ranks the CHC's down to a certain number (4 or 5 I think but don't quote me on it.) I believe the admissions counselor I spoke to said he's never seen anyone not get at least one of their top three.

I didn't ask about rotations outside of the CHC, but that would have been a great question for me to have asked. My understanding is that at least some of the CHC's consist of several clinics spread over given community. It would certainly be nice to have some tertiary care centers thrown in.

HOLY MOLY. INTERVIEW INVITE AT DCOM. THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE. time to hit up the interview feedback section. maybe ill purchase a medical interview book. I don't have 2 much time though its in 2 weeks! this is unbelievable. I am so blessed and privelidged. God is good people god is great. !

They told that each student ranks the CHC's down to a certain number (4 or 5 I think but don't quote me on it.) I believe the admissions counselor I spoke to said he's never seen anyone not get at least one of their top three.

I didn't ask about rotations outside of the CHC, but that would have been a great question for me to have asked. My understanding is that at least some of the CHC's consist of several clinics spread over given community. It would certainly be nice to have some tertiary care centers thrown in.

Thanks for the info :)

HOLY MOLY. INTERVIEW INVITE AT DCOM. THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE. time to hit up the interview feedback section. maybe ill purchase a medical interview book. I don't have 2 much time though its in 2 weeks! this is unbelievable. I am so blessed and privelidged. God is good people god is great. !

Congrats dude! Own that interview!

congrats man

:thumbup:

thanks man! Im uber nervous. first interview. If I get accepted this is where I am going. If this process wasnt so random I would have only applied to this school believe it or not.
thanks man

yo im going postal. pun intended.
don't be nervous. they have a couple of the admins come in and talk to you. i wished they hadnt done that right away since it was my first interview. i was really nervous, and i feel like that added to the nervousness.

the interview itself was nothing to be nervous about though. they pretty much just talk about your app.

don't be nervous. they have a couple of the admins come in and talk to you. i wished they hadnt done that right away since it was my first interview. i was really nervous, and i feel like that added to the nervousness.

the interview itself was nothing to be nervous about though. they pretty much just talk about your app.
kool. thanx man. hey did you go to the pizza hut thing the night before? just wondering how that was. Yeah in the email it says your gonna meet with a few of the admins.

would happen to know if yours was opened or closed file?

also, at this point in the app season, I know my chances are slimmer than if I was interviewing in september, what do you think the chances aof acceptance are? I was reading in the DCOM class of 2015 thread and it said for the class of 2012 the chance of acceptance if interviewed was 59%. I wonder if its still that high this late in the season and if I even have a shot at it this season?

i did go to the pizza thing. it's worth it to meet fellow interviewees and a few students. you gotta eat something anyway haha.

i think it was closed file. i can't remember exactly.

you can't worry about statistics. you just need to handle the interview and let the rest take care of itself.

i did go to the pizza thing. it's worth it to meet fellow interviewees and a few students. you gotta eat something anyway haha.

i think it was closed file. i can't remember exactly.

you can't worry about statistics. you just need to handle the interview and let the rest take care of itself.
tru to the you gotta eat anyways thing lol. k thanks man. I will let yall know how it goes!.

Congrats. Man, talk about pressure! You'll do fine, though!

hi hi,

For those secondaries that are mailed in, would it be acceptable to attach a CV even if the secondary doesn't actually ask for it? Would that seem like "not following directions" if a CV was included?

thanks.

hey guys ^^

just for reference, when a secondary asks about "hometown," does that mean my current residence, place where i was born/grew up, or where I spent most of my time?

It's because those 3 I just listed are different places >.< ;p Also, in terms of "grew up," if I moved places when I was young (i.e. spent childhood growing up in multiple places), what would "grew up" be considered as? location where I spent the most of my childhood or location where I was the youngest at?

thnx!

also, anyone mind responding to my previous post? I've noticed some secondary asks about population of hometowns and such...i guess to guage if people have rural backgrounds or something. that's why I wanted "hometown" clarified a bit.

thanks ^^

hi hi,

For those secondaries that are mailed in, would it be acceptable to attach a ChyV even if the secondary doesn't actually ask for it? Would that seem like "not following directions" if a CV was included?

thanks.

also, anyone mind responding to my previous post? I've noticed some secondary asks about population of hometowns and such...i guess to guage if people have rural backgrounds or something. that's why I wanted "hometown" clarified a bit.

thanks ^^

Youngest at would probably be considered more "birthplace" than "hometown" IMO. Where you spent most of your chilhood would be a better fit for "hometown." In any case, I can't see them being too picky about it.

hi hi,

For those secondaries that are mailed in, would it be acceptable to attach a CV even if the secondary doesn't actually ask for it? Would that seem like "not following directions" if a CV was included?

thanks.

I sent my CV to each school and it didn't seem to hurt :)

thanks ^^
I currently live in New Orleans, but I was raised in rural Upstate NY town and I always list that as my hometown.

wow aacomas just recieved my grades today and my science gpa went from a 2.94------->3.20 all from retaking physics 1 and bio 1. sweeeeeeeet

wow aacomas just recieved my grades today and my science gpa went from a 2.94------->3.20 all from retaking physics 1 and bio 1. sweeeeeeeet
i'm betting that will help you a TON

I am new to SDN. Have lurked for awhile. Underdog for sure.
GPAs 3.0 GPAc 3.4.
I have tons of EC and vol work. Have been an RN for 12 yrs in all aspects of health care. Retaking Chem II. Hope to bring up sci gpa. Still need OChems and Phys II. Took a practice MCAT to see where I am and got a 20. Have an AA in liberal arts and the AS in nursing. No BS degree yet.
Here's my question tho: Is it better to try and apply to the few program that take you with 90 credits, or to bust out the BS. I don't even know what major to undertake.

I thought I was destined for the Carib until I found this thread. Thank you!

I am new to SDN. Have lurked for awhile. Underdog for sure.
GPAs 3.0 GPAc 3.4.
I have tons of EC and vol work. Have been an RN for 12 yrs in all aspects of health care. Retaking Chem II. Hope to bring up sci gpa. Still need OChems and Phys II. Took a practice MCAT to see where I am and got a 20. Have an AA in liberal arts and the AS in nursing. No BS degree yet.
Here's my question tho: Is it better to try and apply to the few program that take you with 90 credits, or to bust out the BS. I don't even know what major to undertake.

I thought I was destined for the Carib until I found this thread. Thank you!
you need to get a BA/BS first, or at least have it arranged so that you'll finish a degree before you matriculate.

the degree itself does not matter. do well in whatever you choose, do well in the pre-reqs, and aim for a 25+ MCAT.

The above poster is spot on, so i will not add to that

I will add that I was on hold at VCOM pre secondary because they decided to wait for my fall grades. I guess they got my updated grades recently cause I just recieved their secondary today at 4:47 PM! DCOM is my number one choice but VCOM is an AWSOME school and wouldnt be too bad either. I hope I get another interview so I inrease my chance of acceptance especally if I get waitlisted at LMU.

The above poster is spot on, so i will not add to that

I will add that I was on hold at VCOM pre secondary because they decided to wait for my fall grades. I guess they got my updated grades recently cause I just recieved their secondary today at 4:47 PM! DCOM is my number one choice but VCOM is an AWSOME school and wouldnt be too bad either. I hope I get another interview so I inrease my chance of acceptance especally if I get waitlisted at LMU.

Glad to hear your good fortune. Own that DCOM interview. Everyone says the campus is insanely nice, I'm jealous :laugh:.

Talked to my advisor yesterday. Turns out after I finish pre-reqs, I am only 4 classes from my BS! I really thought I had a lot more to do. Now where am I at? Do I attempt the MCAT in May after studying all semester and apply for 2012? Excited that the road seems much shorter than it did before! Thanks for the input.
Dr. Yiot, great job!

Talked to my advisor yesterday. Turns out after I finish pre-reqs, I am only 4 classes from my BS! I really thought I had a lot more to do. Now where am I at? Do I attempt the MCAT in May after studying all semester and apply for 2012? Excited that the road seems much shorter than it did before! Thanks for the input.
Dr. Yiot, great job!

If you feel ready for the MCAT, then by all means go for it! It's better to take the MCAT earlier than later in case you need to retake it, you'll have time to do so (which of course hopefully won't be the case!). Congrats on being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel! :)

Oh, and take some of the aamc practice tests to gauge how well you're scoring. Good luck!

Glad to hear your good fortune. Own that DCOM interview. Everyone says the campus is insanely nice, I'm jealous :laugh:.
jealous? you have a med school acceptance. some people would perform immoral acts to be in your position lol. thanks for the complement though!

Dr. Yiot, great job![/QUOTE]

thank you, and as the other person mentioned, when you feel you are ready to take it and have the sufficient amount of time to study sign up for it. just make sure prior to actually sitting for it that you are getting the scores you want to get on aamc practice tests, they can be depressing at first but they are very good indicators of how you will do on the actual exam. make sure you are getting the scores you want well in advance because you cannot cancel or postpone the exam within 2 weeks of the test date. good luck to you! and thank you again!

I am going to the USF Medical School forum in two weeks. There will be reps from all Florida MD and DO schools, plus PCOM- GA and I think Ross. This will be a great opportunity to get my questions answered, see where I stand, and buy a new outfit (lol!). Interested in LECOM esp as it is only an hr away from me.
The practice test I took was aamc.
The application process seems very daunting to me. Is there a way to see what I need for it now?
Working on Gen Chem II right now, but it's via UNE COM distance learning. That's when I thought Carib was my only option. All the DO adcoms I have talked with will accept the credits (whew!) as will USF. In the summer I will do Physics II then start OChem I in the fall.
There seems to be a lot to get done now!

Last edited:
The practice test I took was aamc.
The application process seems very daunting to me. Is there a way to see what I need for it now?

The application process can be daunting, but if you're well-organized it's not bad.

For AACOMAS, it helps to have a copy of your resume or CV at hand as well as copies of transcripts (or some list with courses, credits and grades). You have to enter all this information manually on AACOMAS. You also have to send all official transcripts to AACOMAS. This can take time, start requesting transcripts as soon as AACOMAS opens.

In general, school requirements are very similar but there are differences here and there (specifically, the letter of recommendation requirements). Some DO programs, like LECOM, require a letter of recommendation from an osteopathic physician; an MD letter is not acceptable. Once you have a list of schools you're interested in, take a look at their websites and note their admission requirements.

This should give you a small glimpse of how to prepare. Good luck!

Last edited:

Along with everything the poster said above me (which is excellent advice) make sure you take a look at the CIB. (it's free, you can download it from the link).

http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx

It has information on every school and their requirements.

Another good resource to check is the AACOMAS Application Instruction Manual which can be found

Here