I learned last week that Hb A1c can drop from 10.7 to 4.9 mainly by stopping drinking soda pop. THREE two-liters a DAY!!!
How much did this guy go pee after drinking six liters of soda? I really don't want to know.
dsoz
Funny you should ask that.
1996, I was at Annual Training for the Air National Guard at a busy field site used for air to air combat simulations and various ground roles, including airbase engineering (us). Most of us have at least some first aid training, and many of us are either combat lifesavers or Red Cross certified or both.
We had a bunch of Civil Air Patrol teens doing their summer camp, learning about the USAF, search and rescue, etc, in several of the barracks.
Round about 8 Saturday night, the phone in our open barracks rings (one way--they can call in, you can't call out except to site operator). I was the only one there, quietly reading a book. Most were at the Enlisted Club for the one evening we had free.
"Engineer barracks, Sergeant Williamson."
"Hey, Williamson, it's Smith at the Fire Station. Any firefighters there?" (All the firefighters are well trained and many are EMTs).
"No, just me."
"Are you first aid qualified?"
"Yes, what's up?"
"A bunch of the CAP cadets are sick. Has anyone over there been sick?"
"What symptoms?"
"Nausea, chills, fever, vomiting."
"No, but probably once they get back from the club they will."
"Well, can you grab a rescue truck and head over to building XX? The site nurse is there."
"Suuuure." (I'm qualified on 30 or so military vehicles, including APCs, cranes, hummer gun trucks, tank haulers, backhoes and dump trucks. How hard can it be to drive a pickup with rescue gear? Not hard, really.)
I walk to the fire station, keys are in the truck, map is on the wall. I get to building XX, and the Security Police have a cordon and don't want to let me in, but the fire truck helps.
Inside, I see dozens of teens huddling under blankets (this is July) looking miserable, thermometers, puke pans, surrounded by reassuring adults.
So the nurse and I drive to the operations building, where someone may have picked the lock on the records cabinet so we could get to the kids' medical profiles without waiting for someone to drive in from Ft McCoy.
Remember: None of our people were sick. So it wasn't food related--we all used the same chow hall when not eating MREs or T-packs. There weren't supposed to be any contaminants in use. Being in Mechanical Section, I was wondering about something akin to Legionnaire's Disease, with possible bird crap or mold in the ventilation system.
So we go through the (100 some) kids' records. Ritalin. Other ADHD treatment. Some for blood sugar issues. BC pills. "WTF is a 14 year old taking Prozac for?" (several of them)
Nurse says, "Sometimes they feel unloved and if the world is against them."
"So, they feel like teenagers?"
"Yeah, I don't approve, but some doctors and parents do it anyway."
No common factors in medication.
About 15 of them were sick, with another every hour or so.
CDC out of Milwaukee was calling about vectors.
Eight or so got transported to the local clinic's ED.
I heard nothing else, went to sleep.
Sunday in the breakfast line, the nurse comes through. "You'll never guess what it was."
"Probably not."
"Caffeine withdrawal."
"..."
"They were apparently under the impression they weren't allowed to have soda on site [even though there are soda machines in the chow hall for that reason-Mike]. They got here Friday night, and some of them drink TWO TO THREE 2-LITERS OF MOUNTAIN DEW A DAY [caps mine]. They gave them some at the clinic and they were all fine."
They ran 48 hours on adrenaline then collapsed.
And that's why my kids drink milk, water or juice most of the time.