Thomas Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First day of classes is Sept 8... If you go on the link they gave you in your acceptance email and check the academic calendar it shows you the dates for 2010.... Unfort it does not say the orientation date.

Members don't see this ad.

First day of classes is Sept 8... If you go on the link they gave you in your acceptance email and check the academic calendar it shows you the dates for 2010.... Unfort it does not say the orientation date.

wow that is an incredibly late start, awesommmeeee

I've read somewhere on here about there being a job saturation in philly especially with 3 pharmacy schools (like most other metro areas), and how it is pretty difficult to find an internship in the city (again, like most metro areas), but does anyone know exactly how difficult it is to find an internship during the school year/summer and how this will affect students at jeff that are possibly looking into residency within the city upon finishing P4?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read somewhere on here about there being a job saturation in philly especially with 3 pharmacy schools (like most other metro areas), and how it is pretty difficult to find an internship in the city (again, like most metro areas), but does anyone know exactly how difficult it is to find an internship during the school year/summer and how this will affect students at jeff that are possibly looking into residency within the city upon finishing P4?

took me a year of haphazard job hunting to find an inpatient pharmacy job, a good chunk of my friends also found work.

in terms of residency, jeff was already one of the more sought after residencies (they showed us the stack of applications one day), since the applicant pool is national for most all residencies, there really shouldn't be an effect.

bottom line: don't expect a good internship to fall into your lap, you'll have to work to find it or have a hook-up.

whats everyone doing for housing in the fall? im tryin 2 decide if i should use the housing provided or if i should find my own place?

Last edited:
Does anybody know when the FAFSA is due for incoming pharmacy students?

For people who've interviewed last month, I just called to ask about the status and found out that adcom made their decision at the end of last week! The files were then sent to another committee to cross check with transcripts...and that usually takes a week! so hopefully we'll all find out by the end of this week? :D

For people who've interviewed last month, I just called to ask about the status and found out that adcom made their decision at the end of last week! The files were then sent to another committee to cross check with transcripts...and that usually takes a week! so hopefully we'll all find out by the end of this week? :D

Really? I interviewed at the very end of last month. I think my date was possibly the very last interview date with multiple groups interviewing the same date!

Next week we will hear back?? aaah...

In terms of housing, I will probably end up spending my first year on campus. Eventually, as I make some friends and get the know the area better I will more than likely choose to live off campus with roommates, P2-P4 years.

My vote goes for living in the suburbs outside of Philadelphia.

My vote goes for living in the suburbs outside of Philadelphia.

Sounds like a good idea with the exception of having 8am exams... and having to commute in when theres a blizzard... which was what happened this semester. And you kinda miss out on the on campus festivities with your classmates... the "bonding" experience.

Theres lots of nice places within walking distance of Jeff that is not on campus housing -- many students prefer this. I'm on campus b/c I like being able to leave for class 5mins before it starts... going home to make/ eat lunch... (a lot of students have to buy their lunches everyday which can be unhealthy & expensive) and having the library within a block's walk is nice since i'm in there every day of my life.

Sounds like a good idea with the exception of having 8am exams... and having to commute in when theres a blizzard... which was what happened this semester. And you kinda miss out on the on campus festivities with your classmates... the "bonding" experience.

Theres lots of nice places within walking distance of Jeff that is not on campus housing -- many students prefer this. I'm on campus b/c I like being able to leave for class 5mins before it starts... going home to make/ eat lunch... (a lot of students have to buy their lunches everyday which can be unhealthy & expensive) and having the library within a block's walk is nice since i'm in there every day of my life.

So for the entering P1 students what does the average class schedule look like?

Members don't see this ad :)
This was what we had as P1's Fall semester. I'm a P2 so not sure if its the same... but I don't think they changed it much for the current P1's.

Biochemistry // Tu 1-2:50pm and Th 1-1:50pm
Preventive HC/Self Care // F 9-10:50am
Pathophysiology I // M 9-9:50am and WF 11-11:50am
Pharmacy Practice I // Th 10-10:50am
Healthcare Delivery Systems // Th 2-3:50pm
Healthcare Comm/Patient Counseling // M 10-10:50am
Healthcare Comm lab // Variable, 1 hour
Immunology // MTh 11-11:50am and W 10-10:50am

Theres also IPPE 1 which is one day a week and usually falls in this time slot:
Mon afternoon
Tues (all day)
Thur afternoon
Friday afternoon

So P1 year isn't so bad. P2 years however.... ugh, we have a full day on fridays (bleh) and most of our exams are at 8am (not part of class time). So we've been having therapeutics class on M & W yet our exams are F 8am which kinda stinks.

Filler, these are fine advantages to wanting to live in the city but mate living in the burbs is simply going to be better for me. That's because it's cheaper to rent and gives me that option of bringing the car with me which is what I need to get my shopping and everything else done correctly with.

But no one had to commute during the blizzard because class was canceled...majority of the faculty live outside of the city and commute in, so if you can't make it in, they probably can't either.

There are merits to living in the 'burbs and it will boil down to personal preference and past experience. I'm looking at suburbs as well and it's funny when people tell me... "*gasp* but the commute is 30mins in traffic!" I just give them this blank stare...as a Californian, a 30min commute is REALLY good, I used to commute 90mins no sweat. Just make sure you have a somewhat nice car.

oh reminds me....pool party at ADN's house in the suburbs :banana:

Hey just wondering if anybody happens to know anything about the 4th year rotations. I know Jefferson is only at P3 rite now but was hoping maybe someone might know something that I've been wanting to know for a while. For 4th year rotations will they give the students a chance to return to their home state to do their rotations or will it have to be done in Philly. I did ask this question during my interview and the professor interviewing me said that he is sure something might be worked out regarding this bc gettin rotations around the area is competitive and it might be hard getting rotations sites. So to accommodate this they might let students return home. When he told me this...he sounded a little optimistic about this but at the same time I felt that he wasn't too sure about it either. So if anybody has any concrete information about this then I would appreciate it alot! I will also try emailing Jefferson again but thought it couldn't hurt running this questions by the forum. Thanks!

But no one had to commute during the blizzard because class was canceled...majority of the faculty live outside of the city and commute in, so if you can't make it in, they probably can't either.

There are merits to living in the 'burbs and it will boil down to personal preference and past experience. I'm looking at suburbs as well and it's funny when people tell me... "*gasp* but the commute is 30mins in traffic!" I just give them this blank stare...as a Californian, a 30min commute is REALLY good, I used to commute 90mins no sweat. Just make sure you have a somewhat nice car.

oh reminds me....pool party at ADN's house in the suburbs :banana:

90min commute? you're crazy!!! I would never do that... :laugh: but ok so school was closed when there was the blizzard but this was rare... Jeff's never been closed in YEARS... we've had somewhat bad snowstorms and school was still open. Idk, maybe i'm spoiled and used to having my life easy so traveling in icky snow or torrential (side-ways) rain isn't my cup of tea. Its bad enough walking in that weather for only ONE block to get coffee... then had to change my clothes b/c I was soaked (even with an umbrella!)... yeah, its these times that I'm glad I live on campus.

As for IPPE in your home state, Confetti can take that one :rolleyes:

Fine, this is the northeast and the weather can get bad in the winter but there is also a train stop right on campus and if I am right it shouldn't take more than 5min to get to class from there. But if the highways are inaccessible and the trains are not moving then sorry and it surely does mean classes would be canceled.

As for IPPE in your home state, Confetti can take that one :rolleyes:

Nothing official, we get the "official" word at the end of this year. P-4 will be 6 x 6 (4 core, 2 elective). Current word on the street is you'll have to do your "4 core" within the Jeff network (includes the main hospital, jeff branded hospitals in philly/etc..., and associated hospitals in DE and NJ). Your two electives will be more flexible.

As an aside, universities and other entities need to have affiliate agreements in place which govern, among other things, liability issues as you are technically a student of X University earning credit while at Y Site (haha, y-site...get it? har har har....). Since Jeff is a private university, it's easier to deal with in terms of getting affiliate agreements in place vs. a public entity (such as a state university or a state-owned/operated hospital), keep that in mind when shopping around (exceptions are abound, however).

If you have a place back home in TX or MN that would like to have you as a rotating student, you'll need to get the ball rolling early to get agreements in place, hence why we're getting the "P-4 talk" at the end of P-2 year as there is a HUGE out-of-state contingent heading home for the summer (our last summer) and who will be in contact with potential sites.

Again, this is just through the grapevine peppered in with some personal knowledge, we'll be sure to post back after we get official word regarding the matter.

Last edited:
Thanks Confetti! You seriously have the best responses to most of the questions here and when you talk you sound super sophisticated lol. But yeah thanks for your feedback as it was very informative. :) I have already put my deposit down for this school and another school so i'll see in the following months what will finally be my decision. Rotations at home is a major factor for me in deciding between these 2 schools and my experience at Jeff was amazing and hopefully everything will work out! Thanks again!!

Any acceptances recently??

I interviewed on Saturday Feb 27th, called admissions last week, and was told we should hear back this week....

Last edited:
does anyone recommend any cheap health insurance that can be used to waive the insurance requirements? the one they offer is like 3.5k if i remember correctly.

JUST WONDERING.....HAS ANYBODY HEARD BACK FROM THE FEBRUARY 13th INTERVIEW YET???!?!? seems to be taking them extra long to answer

JUST WONDERING.....HAS ANYBODY HEARD BACK FROM THE FEBRUARY 13th INTERVIEW YET???!?!? seems to be taking them extra long to answer

wow, that's over a month now!

No news today, so I'm gonna call again tomorrow afternoon if I don't get an email. I got in to a couple of other schools--one thankfully doesn't have a deposit due till mid-April, but Midwestern in Arizona wanted their $1000 deposit 5 days after my acceptance, and I was able to get a week extension. JSP is my top choice though, so I'm really hoping for news tomorrow morning!

Lets hope we know something by tomorrow. Can't wait anymore longer.

does anyone recommend any cheap health insurance that can be used to waive the insurance requirements? the one they offer is like 3.5k if i remember correctly.

I think I used http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ to compare rates but Golden Rule -- Copay select is pretty decent (if you're healthy). My monthly rate is low ~110/month but my deductible is high lol... but it meets Jeff's requirement.

I was really anxious about the result so I just called Karen, and she said I am on wait list... :(

I really love this school... Does anyone know what my chance will be like?

Last edited:
I was really anxious about the result so I just called Karen, and she said I am on wait list... :(

I really love this school... Does anyone know how my chance will be like?

sorry to hear that..hopefully the waitlist actually moves :) i really like this school too! when did u interview?

did anyone else hear back too?

Last edited:
Do they send out emails on Saturdays?

Or will we have to wait till Monday again for a chance to hear something??

it usually takes 2 weeks but its comin to the end of interviews so they arereally being picky now..... most ppl on the waitlist wont find out til ppl cancel their seat deposit..

They said they have over 75 seat deposits so at this point they are prob waitlisting.

They said they have over 75 seat deposits so at this point they are prob waitlisting.

Wow, this doesn't sound good. :(

Was there any movement on the WL last year? I have a bad feeling it's not going to move this year.

They may choose from the waitlist.........
bc ppl may not be able to satisfy requirements...

Wow, this doesn't sound good. :(

Was there any movement on the WL last year? I have a bad feeling it's not going to move this year.

Yeah, go back in the thread. They were waitlisting people waaay before this time last year. Not sure what that means lol. Looked like a lot of people were pulled off the wait list though. Keep in mind, a lot of people holding seats now are probably still waiting to hear back from other schools too. Remain optimistic :)

Today they had a jefferson student reception and the only thing they said is that they have over 75 seat deposits.... they didnt say they were waitlisting i figured thas assumed because they are only trying to have a class of 75.

Today they had a jefferson student reception and the only thing they said is that they have over 75 seat deposits.... they didnt say they were waitlisting i figured thas assumed because they are only trying to have a class of 75.

According the the PharmCAS School Page, JSP accepted 123 students for a class size of 75 last year. Keep in mind that some of those people paying the deposits won't end up attending because JSP isn't their top choice school. Also, JSP has a relatively cheap deposit compared to other schools, so more people are able and willing to make the deposit (JSP = $500, compared to Midwestern's $1000 or Touro's $2000!)

----

from http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schooljeffersonpage.htm

STATISTICS

• Estimated number interviewed for fall 2009 Entering Class: 190

• Estimated number accepted: 123

• Estimated fall 2009 entering class size including early assurance & transfer seats: 75
-----

Did they mention if interviews are still being held? I read last year's posts and noticed that there were still interviews up until early April, and schools typically don't interview solely for waitlist spots.

It doesn't surprise me but we don't know how many out of those replied with a yes and sent out a deposit to the school so its still a mystery as to what the number of accepted and willing to enroll students is. In the process, I refused invitations to deposit at other schools but I am still a statistic whether or not I will attend. Some forty people are on the face book page which will change over the summer and yes I think they are finished with interviewing people.

I have a seat deposit at Jefferson, but I will most likely be giving it up. I got into Nova, which is about $6000 cheaper than Jeff a year, plus I can live at home and not have to pay rent. So as of now, I am 95% sure I will be giving up my seat...

Have any of the 'accepted' students received any type of scholarship(s)? I wonder what the criteria are for them..

I just found out that I was waitlisted. Hence the late response. I don't think the letters are sent out yet.

Does anyone know how many people are even on the waitlist? Karen said that the waitlist is not ranked. I wonder how the waitlisted people are chosen for admission if students who paid the deposit decides not to go. I hope the students who decide not to attend let JSP know asap. :laugh:

Good luck all.

I just found out that I was waitlisted. Hence the late response. I don't think the letters are sent out yet.

Does anyone know how many people are even on the waitlist? Karen said that the waitlist is not ranked. I wonder how the waitlisted people are chosen for admission if students who paid the deposit decides not to go. I hope the students who decide not to attend let JSP know asap. :laugh:

Good luck all.

When did you interview milgaroo?