Thoroughly confused with Board scores.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Onedayadoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Haven't posted since my premed days but I recently have gotten my board scores back 240 step 1 and 621 comlex. I honestly don't know what a good comlex score is though. If anyone can provide some guidance on that please feel free to respond!
As for my main reason for posting, I am NY based and am interested in matching into a residency in either IM or neuro (as of now) preferably in Manhattan but I'm unsure if my scores are competitive enough or if my scores would even be looked at. I guess what I'm getting at is if I have a shot. Any responses are welcome. Thank a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

This will help you convert your comlex to a percentile: CBT Score Conversion and google has a bunch of different sites that pop up for step 1.

Solid performance on both. Nice work!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

Haven't posted since my premed days but I recently have gotten my board scores back 240 step 1 and 621 comlex. I honestly don't know what a good comlex score is though. If anyone can provide some guidance on that please feel free to respond!
As for my main reason for posting, I am NY based and am interested in matching into a residency in either IM or neuro (as of now) preferably in Manhattan but I'm unsure if my scores are competitive enough or if my scores would even be looked at. I guess what I'm getting at is if I have a shot. Any responses are welcome. Thank a bunch!
Those are good scores. Congrats!

Suggest talking to your school's grads and OMSIVs for advice, and if their are any DOs at those programs, reach out to them.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah those are pretty fantastic scores and a lot of doors are going to be open to you! Congrats!

Those are good scores. Congrats!

Suggest talking to your school's grads and OMSIVs for advice, and if their are any DOs at those programs, reach out to them.
I guess what I'm confused with is how my comlex score correlates to step 1.is there any score conversion chart.

They can't really be compared. Different student population; for comlex you'll being at higher percentile than a step1 do to the sheer fact there's like 23k MD students also taking step1; and many of whom are crushing it.

They can't really be compared. Different student population; for comlex you'll being at higher percentile than a step1 do to the sheer fact there's like 23k MD students also taking step1; and many of whom are crushing it.

Thank you for your sentiments MS-0

Thank you!

Hi all,

Realistically there aren't any ACGME neurology residencies that are DO-friendly in Manhattan. Your options are Columbia, Cornell, Sinai and NYU - all of which are pretty strongly academically focused and have no DOs among their current residents. If you expand your radius to the rest of the region (5 boroughs + Long island, Jersey and Westchester) you have more options, but even with a 240 doing Neuro in Manhattan isn't likely to happen.

Internal Medicine should be much less of a problem. Lenox Hill, Harlem Hospital, Metropolitan Hospital and St Luke's Roosevelt are all DO-friendly in Manhattan.

I don't understand how you scored numbers in that range, yet don't have the capacity to understand specialty ranges. Please enlighten me on your difficulty in ascertaining this knowledge.

Realistically there aren't any ACGME neurology residencies that are DO-friendly in Manhattan. Your options are Columbia, Cornell, Sinai and NYU - all of which are pretty strongly academically focused and have no DOs among their current residents. If you expand your radius to the rest of the region (5 boroughs + Long island, Jersey and Westchester) you have more options, but even with a 240 doing Neuro in Manhattan isn't likely to happen.

Internal Medicine should be much less of a problem. Lenox Hill, Harlem Hospital, Metropolitan Hospital and St Luke's Roosevelt are all DO-friendly in Manhattan.

This is something you do need to consider - despite the merger occurring, there are still a fair amount of ACGME programs that are very traditionally MD and will likely hold that mentality for as long as possible. As far as I understand, there is no obligation for any program to take DO students under the merger. I only see this changing in the years to come when PDs start to see more and more superstar DO students that apply to their programs.

Members don't see this ad :)

FYI, Cornell neuro matched a DO this year

Lol... I would not advise any US student with 192 step1 (or 400 COMLEX) to apply to Harlem... It's an IMG program.

Seriously man? Regardless of his year he's 100% correct.

Shrugs, I think generally people who haven't experienced or done something shouldn't talk on it. Maybe it's me still being miserable after boards, but I don't like it.

Shrugs, I think generally people who haven't experienced or done something shouldn't talk on it. Maybe it's me still being miserable after boards, but I don't like it.

I'm sorry you feel that way. But like I said I'm an OMS3 that's taken both step1 and comlex level 1 just like you. (250+, 700+) so I thought "yay!" And then I looked into it, every
Nrmp result PDF, program director survey, freida, doximity(garbage) and realized thats it's a crapshoot as a DO. But you're right, I haven't applied to residency and I've barely started rotations.

End my offended tirade.

OP can definitly get neuro, and Manhattan. Both simultaneously may be tough, but it doesn't hurt to try!

Hi all,

621 is like 85-90 percentile, so you did great! Congrats!

Hate to say it but Meatornado had said the same exact words as AFNI_User in a pervious thread. They are two different populations and two different tests (not to say there isn't similarities).

Then Metornado went on to talk about how the new MCAT and old MCAT were compatible. I then I had to say no after that point. Then the thread became a s*** show...

Ah good times

Hate to say it but Meatornado had said the same exact words as AFNI_User in a pervious thread. They are two different populations and two different tests (not to say there isn't similarities).

Then Metornado went on to talk about how the new MCAT and old MCAT were compatible. I then I had to say no after that point. Then the thread became a s*** show...

Ah good times
I kind of miss his presence...

I'm sorry you feel that way. But like I said I'm an OMS3 that's taken both step1 and comlex level 1 just like you. (250+, 700+) so I thought "yay!" And then I looked into it, every
Nrmp result PDF, program director survey, freida, doximity(garbage) and realized thats it's a crapshoot as a DO. But you're right, I haven't applied to residency and I've barely started rotations.

End my offended tirade.

OP can definitly get neuro, and Manhattan. Both simultaneously may be tough, but it doesn't hurt to try!
I mean I looked in to what you said initially and agree lol. Seems very difficult. I could always try but i may have more of a shot in the tri-state area. Just gotta find research. I guess I wanted Manhattan cause I was looking for some place with prestige. Perhaps I could look elsewhere and find another program. But thanks for your honest response!

NYU Langone has taken DOs for neurology in the past. I personally know a DO neurologist (NYCOM) in Jersey that did his residency there. The roster is confusing because they occasionally refer to DOs as MDs in the roster (they did that for my guy, and he didn't correct them).

End my offended tirade.

Yah, you're fine. Honestly, my reason for why I feel this way is that honestly after being on this site I grew to think oh wow, a 228 or my schools average is so low, like blah blah blah. Until we actually started studying we don't really actually get to know what the test and what those numbers actually mean.

But that's my perspective. I legit still haven't relaxed from boards tho.

NYU Langone has taken DOs for neurology in the past. I personally know a DO neurologist (NYCOM) in Jersey that did his residency there. The roster is confusing because they occasionally refer to DOs as MDs in the roster (they did that for my guy, and he didn't correct them).

I stand corrected. They took one in 2005 and he became chief resident, and haven't done it since.

Last edited:
Lol... I would not advise any US student with 192 step1 (or 400 COMLEX) to apply to Harlem... It's an IMG program.

I'm a US grad, but just curious why this matters? Does the program have specific issues or are you assuming that you will be inadequately trained?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm a US grad, but just curious why this matters? Does the program have specific issues or are you assuming that you will be inadequately trained?

A program in NY city with 100% IMG should raise a red flag to any US student (DO or MD)...

A program in NY city with 100% IMG should raise a red flag to any US student (DO or MD)...

Most of the students that rotate there are IMG and Columbia because of contracts with the hospital..obviously the Columbia students would probably rather stay at NYP or another major academic center because that is what they are used to. But it makes sense then that they take a bunch of IMG's because they know those students from rotating through. Obviously there could be more to it and their could be an issue with the program in some way, but we don't know that. Anybody here ever work there?

... So where would I have an easier time matching besides NY then?

... So where would I have an easier time matching besides NY then?
I always thought NYC was quite DO hostile. If that's the case then I would assume mostly anywhere else. The midwest is usually pretty DO friendly. I think maybe Florida too if you want somewhere warmer.