Those Applying to AA School....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had a good time, I really liked everybody I met at the program, good people! But, not happy that the class size is going to be so small again, my chances basically cut in half. Plus, since I'm not from the area...but I'll keep my fingers crossed. But, good luck to you, and let me know if you hear anything.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure if the class size is for certain. Regardless, I didn't want to cause a panic before you interviewed. I think there are five more interviewing on Thursday and we are supposed to be informed on Friday.

I really don't think that being local will be much of a benefit, but we will see.

How do you think you compared to your interview group? Were there any nurses, PA's, techs, or RT's?

Just back from 9th realm of hell. Dante and I are now friends. I was accepted to pod school a year ago and called back to serve. Now, slowly approaching the big 3-0 mark and feeling like I owe myself and my family the dignity of a great career I am applying for AA schools. I hope to start in June 09.

GRE: 90th percentile (790 or 800 quantitative...I cant remember which one...one was a practice test and one was the actual test)
MCAT: 28 (14, 7, 7)

I am a physics bs and math ms (family thing) with an overall gpa of 3.4 and a science of 3.6. I look forward to meeting all of you during the interview process if I get one. I am applying to Nova, South and Emory.

Any devil dogs out there?

Hey, what did you get a 14 in? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
I made the turn at 44 and finished with a 87....pretty solid day!

Okay...not really. I do miss playing golf though. :(

I just end up hitting the ground with the golf club.... or totally missing the ball altogether....it is no fun watching your ball fall inches off the tee.....I came up with the conclusion that golf is not for me.... I think I played too many hard core sports.....

I did interview with a nurse with ICU experience, and he was also a Marine. But, he was applying to nurse anesthesia school as well. The rest of my group was 1 to 2 years out of college with little experience in health care, like me. Only 3 are interviewing tomorrow...and they told me it could be as early as this Friday, or as late as the following Friday when they let us know.

Josh-

The 14 was in the physical sciences section. I hated the MCAT. What other schools did you apply to? Or, are you trying to stay local? I guess local for me in the Gainesville area is South (70 miles north), Emory (190 miles NW), or Nova (230 miles South). Good Luck dude.

I did interview with a nurse with ICU experience, and he was also a Marine. But, he was applying to nurse anesthesia school as well. The rest of my group was 1 to 2 years out of college with little experience in health care, like me. Only 3 are interviewing tomorrow...and they told me it could be as early as this Friday, or as late as the following Friday when they let us know.

was the nurse local?

Josh-

The 14 was in the physical sciences section. I hated the MCAT. What other schools did you apply to? Or, are you trying to stay local? I guess local for me in the Gainesville area is South (70 miles north), Emory (190 miles NW), or Nova (230 miles South). Good Luck dude.

PS was a surprise for me...averaged 8-10 on practice tests, ended up with an 11. Great job.

The only school I am applying to is UMKC because I don't want to relocated my wife's acupuncture practice during a time when it is starting to grow. Plus Johnson County KS has some of the top public schools in the nation [in the top 5] and the program at UMKC is the only AA program west of the Mississippi.

Go west.

PS was a surprise for me...averaged 8-10 on practice tests, ended up with an 11. Great job.

The only school I am applying to is UMKC because I don't want to relocated my wife's acupuncture practice during a time when it is starting to grow. Plus Johnson County KS has some of the top public schools in the nation [in the top 5] and the program at UMKC is the only AA program west of the Mississippi.

Go west.

Most of my friends that are married and are in an AA program did not relocate their families....They just go home as often as they can....Whether you go to medical school or not, there is going to be some separation of you from your family, so why not concider all your options (nova ,sout emory and case) and make the best of it? It might be hard at first but it is soo much better in the long run.......If I get into an AA program this year, I will be separated from my daughter for at least the first year.....It is a sacrifice I am willing to make for the benefit of our future...... Plus after the first year, you get into your clinical phase and you can ask for your clinicals to be where your family is located..... just some food for thought

Most of my friends that are married and are in an AA program did not relocate their families....They just go home as often as they can....Whether you go to medical school or not, there is going to be some separation of you from your family, so why not concider all your options (nova ,sout emory and case) and make the best of it? It might be hard at first but it is soo much better in the long run.......If I get into an AA program this year, I will be separated from my daughter for at least the first year.....It is a sacrifice I am willing to make for the benefit of our future...... Plus after the first year, you get into your clinical phase and you can ask for your clinicals to be where your family is located..... just some food for thought

I know for the second year of the UMKC program there is the possibility of clinicals in other parts of the state, which I would be willing to do as part of the program.

As for moving to another city and coming home PRN...not a chance.

I know for the second year of the UMKC program there is the possibility of clinicals in other parts of the state, which I would be willing to do as part of the program.

As for moving to another city and coming home PRN...not a chance.

Hey.... I tried!!!:D

Only 3 are interviewing tomorrow...and they told me it could be as early as this Friday, or as late as the following Friday when they let us know.

I wasn't nervous at all this week until today. Luckily I have Friday off so I can stim in private...plus my cell doesn't work well in the hospital.

Seriously though, they should have a running total so after today's three interviews, they know who to call. Waiting to Friday is going to be painful, and if they go into the weekend...

Sigh.

Tomorrow I plan on starting a new batch of beer, shooting my Walther .380 [cute little thing originally for my wife but she didn't want it], hitting the gym, and possibly going to the movies to see the new Bill Maher flick.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck all.

The Bill M. flick seems like it'd be pretty funny. I love Politically Incorrect....been a fan for a long time, though I'm often curious how he'd do if he actually had to provide real solutions, instead of just picking on the "solutions" of others.

Man, if Barack Obama gets elected and the Dems win in Congress Bill Maher will be out of a job!

Man, if Barack Obama gets elected and the Dems win in Congress Bill Maher will be out of a job!

not a chance...he's a funny guy, but a very negative person...i rarely hear him say something positive about anyone's ideas except for his own, he'll find something to complain about..and it should be good

Apparently the committee met yesterday but did not finish, and since Melanie is out of the office until next Wednesday, I was told we should hear something by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sigh.

I am definitely looking at colorado and kansas to relocate. The cost of living here is ridiculous. Even with my VA benefits the cost to quality of life ratio is way out of balance. I enjoy the beaches on the gulf, but the east coast sucks. Plus I am working on my pilots liscence and I would like to be in a more centralized location in the states instead of the polar east. My bet is we will hear of your acceptance within one week. Just keep us updated.

Out of curiosity, what is the age range of everyone here applying?

31....and counting... I will be 32 when/if I start into a program.......

^^Thanks. 28 and 31/32. So far I am the baby here. ;) Although, not too much younger.

told today that no decisions have been made, some will get calls while others get letters.

waiting is lame.

told today that no decisions have been made, some will get calls while others get letters.

waiting is lame.

that is lame, so basically if we don't hear by phone then we got rejected...??
i feel your pain Josh...good luck to ya, and let me know if you hear something. So that way I'll know if I don't hear something the same day then I can stop sweating over every phone call..haha

Do you think they will call Thurs or Friday..did they say?

I'm not sure when they will call. If their schedule is the same as when I interviewed, they have clinicals Thursday AM and might meet Thursday afternoon.

If they do mail out acceptance / rejection letters, then I will probably get one quicker because I am local. We shall see...

So the selection committee was supposedly meeting all weekend to finalize the acceptance list, and I was told we should find out either today or sometime early in the week.

Hey guys. I meant to ask: I received a C in one semseter of my general biology classes and a C in calculas in the past 2 years. So, thats 2 C's I have. Would you guys say its advisable for me to re-take them? I know Case Western accepts nothing less than a B- but I do not think thats the case for the other schools. What would you all do if you were in my place?

Also, I am just as anxious to hear about your acceptances. Good Luck guys!

I am not sure about C's (since I have a few), but UMKC says that if you score above a 25 on the MCAT, prerequisites that are old and/or low grades are waived.

I was told today that all of us that interviewed will be told this week by Melanie about the status of our application. Good luck.

Josh L.Ac. AA-S (?) - Ive got $5 on a 'yes' answer to the new title.

Probably should take that bet because if I get in, then why would I care about $5? If I don't, then I could take the five and buy a lottery ticket.

Dang!!!...They seriously left you all hangin', Josh.....

In the end, waiting an extra two weeks means little IF I get in. Conversely...ah nevermind.

I'm going to the gym.

Bueller?

Save_Ferris_3.18.jpg

The word is that the decision has been made, the final five have been selected...sounds familiar for some reason [edit: see below]...and they are waiting on the dean's permission to release the names.

Relax and enjoy the weekend.

hiddencylons.jpg

Last edited:
I am not sure about C's (since I have a few), but UMKC says that if you score above a 25 on the MCAT, prerequisites that are old and/or low grades are waived.

If you don't mind me asking, were the few C's you had in any of your Pre-Req courses or in the other elective/general education courses?

If you don't mind me asking, were the few C's you had in any of your Pre-Req courses or in the other elective/general education courses?

Let's see...

Physics II
Pascal
Ochem I & II
Botany

All of the C's were in my first undergrad which I completed in 2001. During my interview I stated that the reason for the C's [and for the 7 year degree] was because I wasn't very focused on school. I really did not develop a sense of responsibility for my learning until my master's degree program, mainly because I was responsible for a patient.

Since I'm bored, I created a group on Facebook called UMKC - Anesthesiologist Assistants.

Join if you are interested.

Got the call today as I was leaving work - I'm in.

Holla.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!:banana::soexcited:

Let's see...

Physics II
Pascal
Ochem I & II
Botany

All of the C's were in my first undergrad which I completed in 2001. During my interview I stated that the reason for the C's [and for the 7 year degree] was because I wasn't very focused on school. I really did not develop a sense of responsibility for my learning until my master's degree program, mainly because I was responsible for a patient.

Thanks a lot. :thumbup:

Got the call today as I was leaving work - I'm in.

Holla.

Congratu-Freaking-Lations! I'm super excited for you. I have a huge grin on my face. :thumbup:

Thanks all.

Anybody else get news?

Once again, thank u very much.

Did anyone else hear? I already got my information packet in the mail..$250 for scrubs?

The only thing I hear is the slapping together of five, brand new, crisp and crunchy, one dollar bills. :thumbup: I am green with envy. Congrats dude! I will update when I know anything.

Hey all...I'm new to this thread and reading all your conversations has been very insightful! I just graduated from Nova this year, got my Bachelor's degree...and I plan on applying to their AA course next year...I have to take some pre-reqs first tho. I was wondering if any of you have any info on what hospitals hire AA's here in south FL...and approx. how many hours AA's tend to work...I hear it's about a 40hr work week...is that really it?! I am so excited to be starting up on this career path...and even more excited that I finally found a place where everyone seems to be just as enthusiastic about the program! Good luck to all of you!

p.s. I think I'm officially the new "baby" here...I'm 23 lol